• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A maelstrom218's Mario FAQ: Guide to Italian Plumbing (Vn 1.0)

Evil_MARIO

Smash Rookie
AWSOME GUIDE maelstrom!! This helped my kick a** a nd a lot of it..lol
Keep up the good work.:chuckle:

Eggz

Smash Hero
I tried that before, but my guide never got completed. Just search for a matchup guide i posted and you'll find information i compiled last year.

God Link

Smash Cadet
Awesome guide Maelstrom! Even though i knew half the stuff in there. I been practicing for 6 years. Then when the advanced techniques were found alot of people started using them. This is a very useful guide.

Smash Journeyman
Question: does mario absolutely need his l-cancelling?
offcouse mario needs his l-cancels shffl'ed uairs are dire to his comboing.
try to inflict pain not shffl'in his moves. hes already floaty and his ko'ing moves
are limited shffl'in is his greatest use of teching.

Boolossus

Smash Ace
Nice thread. I used to use Mario alot, and I'm considering picking him up again.

This part was funny.

"People may fear the Shine. . .but you gotta give respect to the Cape. The Cape, hands-down, is one of the most versatile moves in SSBM, w/ the exception of Fox’s Shine, Samus’ bombs, and Zelda’s down-b. "

:laugh:

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
Alright, I want to improve my Mario so can someone please help me? If you don't feel like it, then that's fine but if you do help, I would greatly appreciate it. Since I don't have any vids, I need to explain this perfectly.

I'm not a professional with advanced techniques because I never really used them. But my basic skill is highly above par. I do perform some advanced techniques but I guess you could say I half-a** them. For instance, I DO SHFFL but I NEVER do the L-Cancel part of the SHFFL. I just short hop, aerial attack, and fast fall. Is L-Cancel really that critical?

Also, I waveland but I never wavedash. Instead, I use the roll dodge strategically by waiting for my enemy to attack and then getting behind them to unleash a barrage of combos. I don't believe I need any help at all with combos because I know several but maybe SHFFLing perfectly would help?

I use the cape in my recovery and the tornado jump now and again and I use the cape to reflect projectiles and reverse recoveries (like Falco's Fire Bird move) but I don't spam it. I usually shoot a fireball before going into a combo which I begin with a half-a**ed SHFFL and then trick my opponent by not doing it in some later combos.

I know how to let go of the edge and then jump up and catch it again (forgot what they call this technique) and I do that to avoid attacks and then I return an attack or evade them. However, I don't latch on the ledge to prevent my opponent from grabbing it (edgehog) instead, preferring to reverse their recovery with the cape or f-smashing them. Should I?

I know how to chaingrab but I rarely do so. Should I start? I've defeated several opponents that can wavedash and SHFFL perfectly but do so in moderation. I can also defeat the Ice Climbers Lv. 9 with a handicap of Lv. 6 with relative ease. This is just to sum up what I can do.

Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated. Any training regimes will be considered as well. Thanks in advance.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
You wanna L-cancel any aerial you do. You'll notice that once you L-cancel during a SHFFL'd attack, you'll be able to quickly build upon that attack because you'll regain movement quicker. A SHFFL'd u-air is less prone to punishment, but it's still better to L-cancel it.

Try and force wavedashing into your play style. You should till roll dodge when you feel necessary, but wavedashing has less lag and you have other options from it. Things like a backward WD to an F-smash is alot slower using the roll dodge.

Both edgeguarding tactics should be used when necessary. Edgehogging and caping are purely situational.

You wanna learn to chain grab against enemies like Falcon and Falco when an opportunity to strike is scarce. Scoring that grab and racking up his percentage is often more effective than trying to combo a laser spamming Falco.

You should really get some vids up, your mario has me intrigued

NES n00b

Smash Master
Oxford, Mississippi. . . . permanent n00b
Learn to do all the basic "advance" techs Uncle Kenny!! That alone would bring up your game. Do everything Matador said. Learn the common matchups like Fox, Falco, Sheik, and Marth (why are you using Mario in this matchup lol).

Practice upair combos, too. Practice that against a lot of characters (That is what I did, but that does not say much >_>).

Without specific questions, you will get very generic advice. Just a warning. XD

FaceFaceMcFace

Smash Ace
Just to point something out... U-air and B-air autocancel when timed properly and thusly trying to L-cancel them is pointless. Though you should learn to notice when you do them late and need to L-cancel.

To summarize advice muchly: The more things you can do, the more options you have; and the more options you have, the better your chance of winning.

Aayla

Smash Cadet
Ok, after reading this guide I have two really-noob-questions. First, I saw some videos (but I don't remember who was the smasher, sorry..) where mario caped link's recoveries, particoulary when they played in final destination even if he was using attacks with disjointed hitboxes. I suppose I have to avoid this because I'm quite inexpert, or it should a useful skill such as using the cape for fox and falco's recoveries? Another question: what skills I need to learn before, and what are too difficoult for a semi-noob-player?

mario-man

Smash Lord
Another question: what skills I need to learn before, and what are too difficoult for a semi-noob-player?
Well, I'd say for Mario, that there aren't that many techs that are too difficult for semi-n00b players. The only thing close to it is prolly the SHABAWD. (that's ShortHopAerialBackAWaveDash)

Eggz

Smash Hero
Ok, after reading this guide I have two really-noob-questions. First, I saw some videos (but I don't remember who was the smasher, sorry..) where mario caped link's recoveries, particoulary when they played in final destination even if he was using attacks with disjointed hitboxes. I suppose I have to avoid this because I'm quite inexpert, or it should a useful skill such as using the cape for fox and falco's recoveries? Another question: what skills I need to learn before, and what are too difficoult for a semi-noob-player?
rephrase your 1st question about caping.

Jboy313

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Braunz
CURRENT TIER LIST (as of 2005) [TEIR]

Top Tier
· Sheik
· Fox
· Marth
Upper Tier
· Peach
· Falco
· Captain Falcon
· Samus
High Tier
· Jigglypuff
· Doc
· Ganondorf
· Mario
· Ice Climbers
Middle Tier
· Luigi
· Link
· Roy
· Donkey Kong
· Pikachu
· Zelda
Low Tier
· Ness
· Young Link
· Yoshi
· Kirby
· Mr. Game and Watch
· Bowser
Bottom Tier
· Mewtwo
· Pichu

.[/SIZE]
Tier List As Of October 2008
Fox 9.9
Marth 9.9
Sheik 9.7
Falco 9.2

High
Peach 8.4
Captain Falcon 8.0
Jigglypuff 8.0
Ice Climbers 7.9

Middle
Samus 6.8
Dr. Mario 6.2
Ganondorf 6.0
Luigi 5.8
Donkey Kong 5.4
Mario 5.3

Low
Link 4.7
Pikachu 4.3
Young Link 4.2
Roy 3.6
Zelda 3.0
Game and Watch 3.0

Bottom
Ness 2.5
Yoshi 2.5
Bowser 2.2
Mewtwo 1.8
Kirby 1.5
Pichu 1.2

Brandynator

Smash Rookie
maelstrom218 - thx for the guide, it definitely helps me improving my gameplay!

Brandy

a rookie

Smash Ace
Yeah, Mario is continuing to go down, that's why we must revive him fellow Mario's! I'm most likely going to attend a tournament on May 23rd, I will train hard and hopefully get matches recorded. Wish me luck ^__^

Top Bottom