• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A maelstrom218's Mario FAQ: Guide to Italian Plumbing (Vn 1.0)

meepxzero

Smash Master
yah i agree wit u mario has one of the best close range games. jabs to throws to uair combos to throws again etc.... possibilities are endless. I cant imagine how adding fireballs to his game makes him better because u almost play keep away like doc does as the fireballing marios are on the rise x_X. Come to bomb 4 Afrotaki =P i wanna play u, i probably wont take all the paragraph long comments till i even see u play.

Afrotaki

Gay skies today.
BRoomer
meepxzero said:
yah i agree wit u mario has one of the best close range games. jabs to throws to uair combos to throws again etc.... possibilities are endless. I cant imagine how adding fireballs to his game makes him better because u almost play keep away like doc does as the fireballing marios are on the rise x_X. Come to bomb 4 Afrotaki =P i wanna play u, i probably wont take all the paragraph long comments till i even see u play.
I can't make it to that, but I'll be making some match vids this weekend, and you can see me in those. If I didn't have an opera performance to do, I'd be there.

D1

Banned via Administration
Maelstrom sweeeet guide!!!!

Next Gauntlet we should have a Mario ditto cuz I never really told anyone but I use Mario as well he's such a fun character IMO.

Back then I'd find it hard to mix in a fsmash usually sometimes just being plain ol' random and throwin it at times when your opponent doesn't expect it works, plus if they do shield the sweetspotted part they get pushed back so its not like you'll get punished easily for taking a chance...unless they spotdodge...but yeah Falcon's knee is like his best move in his entire moveset and to be effective it has to be sweetspotted...so yeah IMO Mario's best KO move is his fsmash it just needs to be sweetspotted properly to be easy to abuse at the oppurtune times.

All in all, I enjoyed your guide...I got dibs on Doo Doo Brown Mario!!! My fave color! XD

WarriorKnight

Smash Ace
Man, i cant believe i didnt see this thread sooner. Mael, i didnt know you even made a guide like this. Lol i thought i was the one teaching u things with mario, but u seem to know more about him than i did. Excellent guide tho, i learned a thing or two from it. U got my Congrats.

Mario_Force

Smash Rookie
Mario has always been my main character of choice in both Smash Bros and Melee. When ever I use him I find myself beating level 9's two to four times before they even get close to KOing me. Even with characters like Marth who have a far better range I tend to be able to beat him when given time to adapt to his style. I think in the end Mario can be almost invincible in the hands of someone who completly understands what he Mario brings to the table.

WarriorKnight

Smash Ace
What are you talking about? Try fighting a human. Beating lvl 9 Cpu's in a brutal way doesnt prove anything. You dont have to adapt to CPU's b/c they're very stupid, their style of playing never changes, they fall for the same stupid stuff over and over. A human however is different. A human marth will tear you apart before you ever get the chance of smelling victory. My 6 year old cousin could beat level 9 cpu's, wopeeee.

Mario_Force

Smash Rookie
WarriorKnight said:
What are you talking about? Try fighting a human. Beating lvl 9 Cpu's in a brutal way doesnt prove anything. You dont have to adapt to CPU's b/c they're very stupid, their style of playing never changes, they fall for the same stupid stuff over and over. A human however is different. A human marth will tear you apart before you ever get the chance of smelling victory. My 6 year old cousin could beat level 9 cpu's, wopeeee.
I also have beaten my friends at the game over and over even when they are great Marth players I still beat them with Mario.

And I've beaten three 9's that are teamed together many times.

WarriorKnight

Smash Ace
I say it again, beating cpu's doesnt show how good you are, if you can beat 3 lvl 9 cpu with your handicap being 4 <----- it doesnt mean that you are actually good at the game. Put videos of your mario up on smashboards and let people rate how good you are. The video being you fighting another human. NOT a Cpu.

Hope to see your vids.

maelstrom218

Smash Lord
Wow, thanks for the praise, WarriorKnight. . .it means a lot to me knowing that the guide has your approval. :chuckle: I never told you about it though, b/c if I went around telling people that I just finished a 41 paged Mario FAQ, it would've made me look a bit. . .weird.

Mario_Force, determining your personal skill level is impossible w/o someone to compare yourself to, and therefore, the only means of knowing how good you are is to go to a tourney w/high-level players. I mean, playing w/a close circle of friends is fine and all, but unfortunately, the comparison is invalid b/c you have no clear reference point as to how the very best and the very worst play.

Heck, over 2 years ago, I thought that I was sort of decent, until I went to a tourney where I had to face Wes (of DA fame) my first round. I summarily got 4-stocked, to the point where I didn't really touch the ground for anywhere from 3-5 seconds. You never really know how good you are until you play the best. And even then, it'll probably be a humiliating experience (unfortunately).

Plus, beating lvl 9s in general really isn't that impressive an accomplishment, mostly b/c lvl 9s aren't worth your time. The Cape once me how he beat 3 lvl 9s w/o taking any damage simply by infinite stalling on the ledge, while the lvl 9s all SD'd in the attempt to hit The Cape. True story.

The Cape

Smash Master
Why am I such a jerk to comps?

Anyway, I still love this guide, and I need to get off my lazy duff and do my advanced techs guide (or just do the video with Mow next week :))

Renth

Smash Hero
i just finally got around to reading the guides on boards for random specific charaters, this is a very good example of how people should play Mario/Doc
i wonder why is there hardly any doc/mario players out there? they are two of the funnest charaters to play in the game and besides nobody can top the cape in mario mechanics, marios got all kinds of advantages until a stupid samus comes along :laugh:
but seriously, great guide keep em comming

robyextreme

Smash Ace
That is alot of info man :)

By the way in the character matchups part why did you keep calling Falco, flaco?

Did you make like 5 typos in a row o_O

Besides that, great guide didint read it all. But I will over time if I ever need some mario knowledge.

maelstrom218

Smash Lord
I deliberately misspell "Falco" as "Flaco" b/c I hate that little bird chump. It's just a personal vendetta that I have. The leader in my crew--who happens to main as Flaco--has the ability to consistently 3 stock me every time my Mario goes up against his Flaco. His Link, which is actually even better than his Flaco, is something that I can occasionally beat, but his Flaco is just completely overpowering.

After many, many hours of getting stuck in stupid d-air/shine combos, having my approaches screwed over by SHB, and being insta-spiked at ridiculously low percentages, I think I'm entitled to my private act of personal vengeance by deliberately misspelling his name every single time I write it.

That, or until I learn how to fight Flaco properly and actually beat him. >_>

WarriorKnight

Smash Ace
Yo maelstrom, come thru sat. I'll bring chuck so you could see me fight him. Observe carefully how much damage I do to that ni99as falco with Mario. It will help you improve ur fights against falcos.

D1

Banned via Administration
WarriorKnight said:
Yo maelstrom, come thru sat. I'll bring chuck so you could see me fight him. Observe carefully how much damage I do to that ni99as falco with Mario. It will help you improve ur fights against falcos.
lol I beat Chuck's Flaco w/ Yoshi >_>

*runs away*

PrinceZane

INNsomniac
BRoomer
Many kudos on the guide. It's always a good thing to see great guides for great chars ;) . Memphis is a little ways from NY (understated), but if your ever traveling this way, I'd enjoy a stop by for a minute... this offer extended to all players, expecially Marios.

Kudos again, looking forward to The Cape's guide/vid to add to the epicness.

technomancer

Smash Champion
Hey, can you throw on the ADA that it has excellent arial priority?

If you can get into someone's face while they're starting to execute an arial and use it, you'll generally win the priority duel unless their attack is an Fair.

Tipo mastr

Smash Lord
telling people that my name is pronouced &quot;Typ
Maelstrom... your guide is th best. It was all I could do just to prevent myself from jumping out of my seat to go play mario, but then I remembered that I still had to read the rest of the guide! You inspired me so much! Your guide is a big tribute to the reputation of the plumber.

Wash

Smash Apprentice
I thought this was a VERY well thought out and done FAQ. I really enjoyed the Matchups list; detailed with lots of useful information. Even though Mario doesn't have the crazy awesome abilities like other characters, such as Fox and his sheild moves, you went in-depth in what he DID have, as well as didn't. This has to be one of the best characters FAQs out there. Much props and many thanks, maelstrom218.

Picitt

Smash Apprentice
I will be going into hundreds of fireball techniques in my guide which will be my psychotic Mario techs that I will be adding onto this guide of his.

Some of these include the infamous turnip recovery, conshohocken, fire shield, and edgehog fireball.
Are you still going to make the guide or is it a lost cause?

Pose

Smash Apprentice
Question: does mario absolutely need his l-cancelling?

tolcom6

Smash Rookie
Mario Game goes up 40%

Marios my main but i never realy used the cape but now i do and its like im the arial master confusing the hell out of them and messing up there timing completely. I also liked where you talked about how to get from the edge back onto the stage by dropping down and then popping back up with aua's. ty mealstrom u should have some videos.

Sabro

Smash Rookie
GrEAT Thread. Really liked reading this as mario is my secondary hero (right after Samus). I really enjoy watching The Cape and his ways of the Tiger...

Great thread 5/5 from me.

Coin you up

Smash Apprentice
I agree with tolcom6, you really know what your talking about malestrom. Lets have a one on one tech talk pm me ok.

D4rkmario

Smash Rookie
WOW!!!!:chuckle: Awsome guide maelstorm!!!
You character specifics really helped me out a lot!! MABEY JUST MABEY .......i can beat shiek....:confused: lol J/K

Anyway, fantastic guide.

Top Bottom