• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Madison WI Smashfests!

Moozle

Smash Champion
Sorry I can't make it tonight guys, my allergies are going wild :( I'll be there next time for sure!

LightsOutAce

Smash Ace
Madison has an absurd number of smashers now.

Me
Frank
Sanchaz
John
Vino
Eric
DDF
Wes
Adam
Brian
Moozle
Mundungu
Gibby
Vintage
Blazing Fury
Dude

See you next time moozle!

@Sam: Which either means we will never have empty nights because not everyone would be busy, or no one will be busy and it'll be packed each time lol

sanchaz

Smash Lord
just brought 3 game cube controllers, will buy three more later. most like likely get one by like tuesday/wednesday, the other 5 by like saturday, boss mode, :D.

john!

Smash Hero
can you guys sell me one

or just give me one for free if you want to be an excellent human being

i wanna try them out first tho

i'd rather pay more for a controller that i know is good than try my luck on a used controller that may or may not have round buttons

sanchaz

Smash Lord
edit ORLY, you guys can have free pizza

Last edited:

vintage

Smash Cadet
oh yea, 122 east dayton, tommorow, peeps can start showing up at 6pm until whenever (2, 3, 4 am??)

Parking is literally across the house, call me first so I can see if we can get a couple free spots if possible.
I'm down.

10chars

LightsOutAce

Smash Ace
This Thursday and all of the rest of our meetings this semester (with the exception of December 1st) will be in Union South, NOT Memorial Union. This week we're in the Governance room on the second floor. Go up the central staircase, turn 180 degrees, and follow the hallway to the computer lab. Governance is right across from the lab. 6 PM as always.

Bring setups if at all possible!

sanchaz

Smash Lord
This Thursday and all of the rest of our meetings this semester (with the exception of December 1st) will be in Union South, NOT Memorial Union. This week we're in the Governance room on the second floor. Go up the central staircase, turn 180 degrees, and follow the hallway to the computer lab. Governance is right across from the lab. 6 PM as always.

Bring setups if at all possible!
upgraded, yeaaaaaaaaaa. we can like watch movies, smash, eat BETTER NACHOES, and stuff, oh...what about parking for ppl?

can't make this. next one hopefully

LightsOutAce

Smash Ace
Oh yeah, parking on the street is free after 6PM, which is when this starts, so you can probably get within 2 blocks on Orchard Street or thereabouts. If you can't find anything there you can park behind my house, which is about 2.5 blocks away.

TheDude_Abides

Smash Cadet
Oh yeah, parking on the street is free after 6PM, which is when this starts, so you can probably get within 2 blocks on Orchard Street or thereabouts. If you can't find anything there you can park behind my house, which is about 2.5 blocks away.
Awesome, I'll be there. I'll be attending every Thursday until IMDB. After, it'll probably be a twice a month thing. Thursday is play n' trade at Pegasus >.<

I'm guessing that's a game store.

Even though IMDB isn't even here yet, are we still bent on doing regular tournament stuff? Or is this going to be like a one time deal every few months? Also, each person in a dorm should start in interest group and get it out there. ~30 people signing up for Liz group in a single night. wtf. There might be like one or two more people to join us after a little while.

LightsOutAce

Smash Ace
^But most of those people are casuals who think edgeguarding is cheap. Not that that's necessarily bad, but I don't think they'd have fun at our meetings since we're playing different games.

That's not very tactful, I know. And not what I'm driving at.

There are people who are likely interested in learning more about the games competitive side. The thing is that those opportunities are either invisible to them or they simply didn't know that people actually play tournaments with smash. From what I keep hearing/reading about, most people only started getting more involved after friends introduced them to all the cool stuff to do in the games. Or found out that there are people who compete with smash.

Millions of smash games have been sold and with Nintendo being a large name, there are a large number of people who have played the game and recognize the titles. Give people the chances to come and play the game for kicks and for fun (especially for free with no obligation) and you'll attract a good number of people. With enough time, you'll find out who the people are that play the game for kicks and others that have a bit more competitive spirit. Throw in some cool tricks that the games have to offer and the notion that people play tournaments and those people might get more interested for the long haul.

Besides, there are other incentives anyway. Meeting lots of people. Having fun playing smash with new people. Running these events would show possible leadership/organizational/people skills for job applications and other applicable areas.

If there are people who end up being more competitive players, then that's great. If not, its still fun to get regular casual stuff going.
although the organizing feels nightmarish sometimes

LightsOutAce

Smash Ace
The thing about administrative stuff is that you need to be REALLY forceful. It's like herding cats sometimes. People want to just do whatever and sometimes you need to roll up your sleeves and tell them what's what. Also, just be confident. If you act like you're in control and know what you're doing people won't question you. /life secrets

dassboot

Smash Cadet
omg, I hate ppl!!! xeylode, just find ppl that want to play seriuosly if you want to do that at all. aarrgh!

"why can't we play with items"- these ppl need to go away

"I want to know how to get better or want to play with others to try different stuff"- we like these people

FrootLoop

Smash Lord
Playing smash competitively is a huge commitment, not just a mindset. The single largest barrier to entering the scene is tech skill. Learning each of the many techniques to the point that they are just muscle memory takes a long time, and I don't really think smash club is a very good place for this. With 3-5 setups and at least 10 members at each meeting, nobody really wants to give up a setup so some dude can practice L canceling for an hour.

Most people don't have enough time to spare to acquire a working level of tech skill, or at least they don't want to spend so much time on something without really understanding what their efforts will bring them.

john!

Smash Hero
he's right though. i joined in '06 but my first tourney was in '09. the only reason i was able to improve relatively quickly after joining the scene was because i got most of my tech skill down during the previous 3 years. then i could just focus on learning the spacing and mental aspects of the game.

sanchaz

Smash Lord
he's right though. i joined in '06 but my first tourney was in '09. the only reason i was able to improve relatively quickly after joining the scene was because i got most of my tech skill down during the previous 3 years. then i could just focus on learning the spacing and mental aspects of the game.
omg, john why are you still up, :D.

I'm not sure if their will be anymore "new" players for smash (melee). like maybe (a very strong maybe) the new smash game will be fun and be a tournament game....Idk, I have no idea what will happen to melee after I'm done with school or in 5 years. Makes me wonder.....

Top Bottom