• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Madison tourney featuring CACTUAR'S EXPERIMENTAL RULESET

LightsOutAce

Smash Ace
Date: Saturday, February 11

Location: Carson’s Carryout second floor, 1515 Tripp Circle Madison, Wisconsin
http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q...code_result&ct=title&resnum=1&ved=0CB0Q8gEwAA Location “A” Go in the front door and up the stairs to your left.

If you switch to satellite view, you can see just to the East a huge, free parking lot literally 20 yards from the venue! It’s labeled “Lot 34.”

Prices: $5.00 venue fee (includes pizza!)
$10.00 Melee singles
$20.00 Melee doubles ($10 per person)
$10.00 Brawl singles
$20.00 Brawl doubles ($10 per person)
$5.00 Side Events

Payout: 60/30/10 doubles
60/30/10 singles

If 30+ entrants,
1st- 55%
2nd – 25%
3rd- 10%
4th- 5%
5th- 2.5% each

Schedule:

11:00 AM - Venue opens/registration starts
12:00 PM - Brawl doubles
1:00 PM – Melee doubles
3:00 PM - Brawl singles
3:00 PM – SSF4
3:00 PM – Melee singles
11:00 PM - Venue closes

Melee Rules:

- Items off.
- 2 stock, 3 minutes.
- Team attack on., life stealing allowed.
- Ties are broken by lives then percentage. Percentage ties will replay the match with one stock on the same stage.
- Regular sets are best of 7 matches. Winners finals, losers semis, losers finals and grand finals sets are best of 9 matches.
- Controller mods are banned.
- Stalling is banned. This includes any excessive use of tactics like rising pound and wall-bombing in order to deliberately delay the match.
- Glitches like the Ice Climbers' freeze glitch and Mewtwo's Soul Stunner are also banned.
- Modified Dave's Stupid Rule: The loser cannot pick a stage he or she has won on in the set unless agreed upon by both players. Additionally, if both players agree to play on a banned stage, that stage may be played as well.
- Gentleman's Clause: If the two players agree on a change in a rule, like choosing a banned stage, they are allowed to do so. If there is no agreement, standard rules apply.

Stages:

1v1: all stages legal EXCEPT:
Icicle Mountain
Brinstar Depths
Big Blue
Hyrule Temple
Great Bay

2v2: all stages legal EXCEPT:
Icicle Mountain
Brinstar Depths
Big Blue
Mute City
Venom
Fountain of Dreams

Set format:

1. Both players select characters. Double blind can be called if necessary.
2. Stage striking: Players eliminate stages from the Neutral Stage List (the normal neutrals) until only 1 remains, and the players then play the first match on that stage. Players strike stages in a 1-2-1 order.
3. The first match is played.
4. Winning player of the preceding match bans TWO stages.
5. The losing player of preceding match picks stage for the next match.
6. The winning player of preceding match picks character.
7. The losing player picks character.
8. The next match is played.
9. Repeat steps 4-8 for all consecutive matches until the set is complete.

Brawl Rules:

The Unity Ruleset:

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=301032
MetaKnight is BANNED

Side events (SF4, UMvC3, MK:DD) will be held if there is interest.

sanchaz

Smash Lord
I want to see if we can livestream stuff to test the quality and if we can get a commentary.

I don't think should be $10, maybe like $5. I don't see many people entering to be honest, but hey! why not swing by to have a good time in madison.

FrootLoop

Smash Lord
25 stages for singles and 23 for doubles
an odyssey of striking

I am going to out-jank everyone at this tournament.*

*may not result in victory

Mundungu

Smash Lord
I might be able to make it for singles, but I'll be busy before then. I can prob bring a couple setups around 3:00 and maybe recording.

FrootLoop

Smash Lord
yeah venom, mute city, and FoD lag for teams thats why they're off the list.

I think icicle mountain should be on at least for singles, but if most people don't want it on then thats fine

Sanchaz I don't think I'm going to go spacies at all this tourney anyway except maybe teams..

Sam why does that mean they shouldn't have to play there? What if your least favorite stage is my favorite stage?

Also are CPU teammates allowed?

LightsOutAce

Smash Ace
CPU are you serious? If you absolutely can't find a partner then probably.

As far as stage bans goes, Frank, your hypothetical situation already happens all of the time. Lots of people like FD, I ban FD. Lots of people like *insert random banned stage*, but it's banned by the normal ruleset. You can't always play on your favorite stage anyways.

standardtoaster

Tubacabra
I can't wait for this. It'll be pretty interesting to try out this ruleset. I'll bring a mobile recording device and a vcr. It will make my life 100x easier if you write down which set is being played on the tv with the vcr so I know who is doing what match when I record it.

MonkUnit

Project M Back Roomer
Anyone want to team with me? I use YL.

Also, can I show up around 1pm or so and still be able to register for Melee singles / doubles?

standardtoaster

Tubacabra
I want to see if we can livestream stuff to test the quality and if we can get a commentary.

I don't think should be $10, maybe like $5. I don't see many people entering to be honest, but hey! why not swing by to have a good time in madison.
If the venue has an ethernet connection we can use my desktop comp to stream if need be. I'll probably still bring it for recording though.

ORLY

Smash Master
frank are we teaming at this?

also: yeeeeeee ssf4

i've been working on the light side ryu lately too. turns out he has like the exact same combos as evil but with more damage

FrootLoop

Smash Lord
if you're actually going to come I'll team w/u ddf. If you're going to a concert or doing logic hw or whatever then I won't. =) just let me know

Remy LeBeau

Smash Apprentice
Do you guys always do this ruleset or do you do the traditional one sometimes? I would be interested in the regular ruleset, and could bring 5 people (including me) probably.

I am interested in going to a WI tournament soonish, maybe next month, since I havent been there in a while.

Tomotoya

Smash Apprentice
if you're actually going to come I'll team w/u ddf. If you're going to a concert or doing logic hw or whatever then I won't. =) just let me know
I was just teasing you Fruitloop.
Though maybe you'll want to team with me after I take down Sanchez's Falco!!!!!!1!!!1!!!!! :p

Don't take shots at me about Logic yet- it's my first day in the class and I'm already MFing confused.

:phone:

ORLY

Smash Master
i want this tournament in my pants

i can't think of anyone more fitting of a jank ruleset than frootloop and i

ORLY

Smash Master
i was playing with jeff on some of those stages

and he said i was playing super gay and it's a stupid ruleset

hehehehehehehe this is gonna be fun

Top Bottom