• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Madeline Dashes In | Madeline from Celeste for Smash Ultimate DLC

mbvswb

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 4561 1118 2914
Madeline for Smash

My brother and I have been playing through Celeste together in between the hundreds of matches between us in SSBU. We were late to the party but we absolutely love it. Such a beautiful metaphorical game which definitley gets the praise it deserves. I decided to pledge my support in a thread but I was shocked to see that there wasnt one posted, so obviously I decided to post one!

Why Madeline?

Indie representation in Smash is such an amazing thing for creators of indie games. Sure, Shovel Knight, Shantae, or Sans are the obvious choices for an Indie rep in Smash, but Celeste has the best chance of representation as DLC in my opinion. Shovel Knight is deconfirmed, and some people would consider Shantae deconfirmed as well. On top of that, Celeste is one of the most critically acclaimed indie titles of all time, and it not even having spirits Ultimate seems odd to me considering Celeste was such a hit, on Switch especially.
Moveset!

Coming Soon!

Supporters!

Last edited:

mbvswb

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 4561 1118 2914
I've never played Celeste is it good?
Its awesome! The visuals and music are really pretty and the gameplay is extremely fun. It's pretty comparable to other indie platformers like meatboy in the gameplay department

CoinedLuck

Smash Cadet
Madeline is perhaps one of my top picks for indie characters in Smash, right behind Commander Video. I support her!

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I'm down. Loved Celeste. Just bought a Celeste poster, in fact. Madeline is on my shortlist of wanted indie characters along with Hollow Knight, Sans, and a few others. Plus, I mean...that stage and music...yes.

Last edited:

Joinallthreacs.smash

Smash Journeyman
Maddaline might be my pick, i would prefer her to Fortnite Guy but..,............

Undertale and Minecraft are some of the biggest games of all time, and Minecraft has been considerd as one of the best of all time, were talking OoT levels of praise here. Steve and Sans have spots they rightfully deserve because of the sheer impact of these games on the gaming industry. Steve is one of my most wanted for that reason.

Sorry Madeline but your outclassed, Fortnite is more likely because its super huge. Madeline, Shovel Knight, Sans, Steve and Meat Boy are my indie shortlist, but, Sans and Steve outclass her in every way.

Edit : with the Fnaf Switch ports on the way, Freddy Fazbear looks to be another option, FNAF is huge, but this is very unlikely.

There are only 8 indie Characters that really should be in the game

1. Steve
2. Sans
3. Shovel Knight
4. Meat Boy
5. Shantae
6. Qoute
7. Gunvolt
8. Maddaline.

While Maddaline is on the list, she's on the bottom, as her company had no prior connections to Nintendo, her game wasn't out during the ballot, and, it isn't huge such as Shovel Knight, Minecraft and Undertale. She also doesn't have the senority of Qoute and Shantae, and her game.is a multiplat, unlike Gunvolt, the exclusive, obscure, Nintendo exclusive series. Still, her game is amazing, but, she is majorly outclasded

Last edited:

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
Maddaline might be my pick, i would prefer her to Fortnite Guy but..,............

Undertale and Minecraft are some of the biggest games of all time, and Minecraft has been considerd as one of the best of all time, were talking OoT levels of praise here. Steve and Sans have spots they rightfully deserve because of the sheer impact of these games on the gaming industry. Steve is one of my most wanted for that reason.

Sorry Madeline but your outclassed, Fortnite is more likely because its super huge. Madeline, Shovel Knight, Sans, Steve and Meat Boy are my indie shortlist, but, Sans and Steve outclass her in every way.

Edit : with the Fnaf Switch ports on the way, Freddy Fazbear looks to be another option, FNAF is huge, but this is very unlikely.

There are only 8 indie Characters that really should be in the game

1. Steve
2. Sans
3. Shovel Knight
4. Meat Boy
5. Shantae
6. Qoute
7. Gunvolt
8. Maddaline.

While Maddaline is on the list, she's on the bottom, as her company had no prior connections to Nintendo, her game wasn't out during the ballot, and, it isn't huge such as Shovel Knight, Minecraft and Undertale. She also doesn't have the senority of Qoute and Shantae, and her game.is a multiplat, unlike Gunvolt, the exclusive, obscure, Nintendo exclusive series. Still, her game is amazing, but, she is majorly outclasded
Have you considered Hat Kid? Or Reimu? I think these two should also be considered.

Joinallthreacs.smash

Smash Journeyman
like sans
Undertale is a bigger game than hat in time will ever be,

My list has changed

1. Steve
2. Shovel Knight
3. Meat Boy
4. Qoute
5. Frisk
6. Shantae
7. Gunvolt
8. Maddaline

Bettee to have the main character, rather than a side one.

Compared to these indie super stars (Celeste not really), Hat kid is a grub.

Undertale already has a follow-up and Gunvolt has a lot of games.

Hat Kid will never be a smash bro

SilverBrick

Smash Rookie
I just played through Celeste and am on my way to 100%ing it, so have a moveset + skins + other stuff.

I tried to represent the game as much as possible, so I’ve referenced basically everything except the cassettes and the post-game in some way or another.

Attributes:

Has similar physics to those seen in Celeste. Launched easily.

Double jump sends out Badeline, who throws Madeline upwards, rather than a regular double jump. Has a slight delay as a result.

Shielding creates a blue bubble, which cracks as it takes damage. Once broken, the bubble turns red and Madeline is inescapably dragged in the direction that the incoming attack would usually launch - usually to her KO. If she hits something, she becomes dizzy as usual.

Madeline can walljump, and while sticking to walls, can climb up and down them for a while (by holding up or down) before getting tired and sliding down.

Dashes: Instead of tilts and aerial attacks, Madeline is able to dash by pressing the regular attack button. The dash functions as it does in the game, including diagonal dashes, and will launch the enemy in the direction of the dash (for up, down and diagonal-up dashes) or 45 degrees upwards (for diagonal-down and side dashes). All techs using dashes in Celeste (e.g. hyper jumps, wall bounces, etc) can be used in Smash.

While ducking or dashing, Madeline is immune to windboxes and strong wind.

Directional air-dodging depletes your dash if you have one.

Grounded attacks:

For all attacks using the regular attack button (except pummel and smashes), Madeline dashes according to the direction tilted - see Dashes above.

For grab, an anxiety spike comes out of the floor in front of Madeline, holding the opponent in place.
Pummel has Badeline tossing red pellets from her boss fight at them.
Down throw drags the enemy into the floor, grounding them.
Up throw has Badeline use telekinesis to drag a stone block out of the ground, launching the enemy skyward.
Back throw has Badeline grab and fling the enemy backwards, tossing two red pellets at them a la Fox.
Forward throw has Badeline fire a point-blank laser, blasting the enemy away.

Aerial attacks:
For all aerials, Madeline dashes according to the direction tilted - see Dashes above.

Specials:

For Neutral Special, Madeline bounces on a purple cloud, refilling her dash. If you mistime or don’t input your jump, she just falls through and the cloud disintegrates immediately. If you time the jump right, she bounces properly, and the cloud stays for long enough for opponents to bounce on, but not long enough for you to reuse unless you dash back down.

For Up Special, Madeline grabs a feather, and can then fly around as she does in Celeste, albeit for a much shorter time - lasts about as long as Pac-Man’s side special. Refills dash and can be canceled into it.

For Side Special, Madeline summons a seeker which locks onto an enemy and dashes towards them before despawning. Can be footstooled to despawn it earlier, and is pretty slow.

For Down Special, Madeline thinks of a feather and breathes deeply. Attacking her at this point interrupts the move and triggers a counter-attack of anxiety spikes (doesn’t work unless grounded). Breathing for long enough (two seconds-ish) grants you a second dash which refills on landing, but using both dashes reduces you back to one until you breathe deeply again. While breathing, you can’t move, can’t cancel out of it, and can be grabbed and command-grabbed.

Smash Attacks:

For Side Smash, Madeline summons a bumper, which launches enemies away from it, and also bumps Madeline backwards.

For Up Smash, Madeline summons a dream block above her which traps enemies, then dashes up through it to launch them and herself upwards. If you dash downwards immediately afterwards, you can go through the dream block again to return to the floor.

For Down Smash, Madeline summons a dust bunny on the floor in front and behind her, which swap places to replicate a sweeping attack.

Final Smash: Madeline grabs any nearby opponents. Badeline bounces her to the peak of Mount Celeste, grabs the opponents with anxiety spikes, then slams them all the way down to the lake.

Intro: Uses the respawn animation from Celeste.

Death: Uses the death animation from Celeste.

Taunts:
Up: Madeline laughs a la Granny, with the “HA”s floating on the wind. Lasts until taunt-cancelled.

Down: Madeline takes a selfie with Theo’s phone. Enemies right behind her are command-grabbed and pulled into the shot, and the flash deals a little damage. Takes an actual selfie, for use in victory screen 3 (see below).

Side: Badeline comes out and twirls around Madeline, teasing her with a berry. Madeline spins to try and get it back, and Badeline tosses it to her. Sometimes the berry has wings, and dashing before the taunt ends will cause it to drag Badeline upwards off the screen against her will.

Victory screens:

1: Madeline lights and sits by a fire with Badeline and Celeste’s other characters, they both fall asleep and the scene fades to black.

2: Madeline jumps into frame with a bunch of berries trailing behind, collects them while facing away from the camera, then turns to reveal a finished berry pie.

3: Madeline taps on Theo’s phone, then shows the audience a selfie. If she used the selfie taunt during the match, the photo she took there will show up on the phone. Otherwise, it’ll be one of the photos from Celeste.

Skins:

1: Default. Madeline with red hair (turns blue when depleted and pink with two dashes), Badeline with purple. Dash is blue.

2: Level up. Madeline with pink hair (turns blue when depleted and white with two dashes), Badeline with black like her boss version. Dash is blue.

3: Filter. Both are given a more pinkish hue, like they’ve been filtered by Theo’s phone. Dash is pink.

4: Theo. Madeline has dark skin, dark brown hair (turns black when depleted and bright green with two dashes), a plaid green coat, blue jeans and a yellow backpack. Badeline is the same but replaces green for red, and has reddish skin. Dash is bright green.

5: Granny. Madeline has a dark green coat, brown jeans, white hair (turns grey when depleted and pale blue with two dashes). Badeline is frosty blue-green. Dash is white or grey.

6: Mr. Oshiro. Has Mr Oshiro’s colors. Badeline has Oshiro’s boss colors. Dash is white with a lightning effect.

7: Badeline. Madeline and Badeline are swapped. Badeline has purple hair (turns red after dashing and black with two dashes). Madeline has red hair. Badeline’s dash is red.
8: Badeline Level up. Madeline and Badeline are swapped. Badeline has her boss colors and purple hair (turns red after dashing and black with two dashes). Madeline has pink hair. Badeline’s dash is red.

UnknownTemptation

Smash Rookie
Madeline is my most wanted character in
Smash Bros. Period. Celeste struck me like a lightning in a bottle. I fell in love with Madeline and the game the moment I laid eyes on it and never before since I was a child where with Mario (he was the first video game I’ve ever been exposed to. Many others could maybe say the same?) Where I fell in love with a game that quickly. First of all, The STORY. I’ve also over the last few years have finally been more and more open to Indie Games and now I’m a HUGE fanatic of them.
I love some of them more than even some major games. Plus it’s the first time I’ve ever showed some emotion for a video game besides Smash Bros. Was Celeste the game itself. Something about Madeline makes you CARE for her journey. You want to reach that mountain and accomplish that goal. Whatever emotions she may have. It’s hard to not show compassion for those moments. She’s RELATABLE.
I sorta wish we got a backstory on how she was able to Dash in the first place but if you take out the game elements of it. It essentially rings off like a realistic situation. It’s not uncommon for an individual to go thru a lot of things and then decide to wanna achieve a bigger goal such as climbing a mountain or traveling to what have you. To seek some peace in one’s life and Madeline shows that. It’s a story that can be viewed in layers too. It can be viewed on the surface and taken as literal for what it is and also viewed as a metaphor as well. The MUSIC???
Lena Raine is an absolute GENIUS for the production that it got me teary eyed. Celeste Mountain itself being the stage would bring its beautiful visual aspect to Smash. Where do I see Madeline on the Banner?
Racing against my other childhood favorite:
Sonic.
If another Echo Fighter is possible then PLEASE let it be Badeline. I’ll even take her as a TRUE Alt.
Not just Madeline vaguely wearing her colors.
I’d want the real Badeline in there with her as well.
Because Chapter 9 brought new gameplay mechanics. This also could help her with more movesets as well. Overall she’s just a character that can’t be ignored. At least there’s not a lot of real hate for her game (that I’m aware of) the Fanbase is basically. 50% of us that know the game LOVE IT.
The other half just simply are unaware of Celeste in general and never heard of it Plus it’s Indie so there’s that.
While Sakurai has said its more important that a fighter is more fun to play as rather than recognizable. Well doesn’t Madeline SORT OF fit that description? She’s not entirely known by everybody which sort of helps her in this case. She also got to compete with the BIG DOGS at TGA 2018 and won best Indie Game of the Year plus Soundtrack.
I think a true Indie Rep for Smash is Inevitable, it’s obviously difficult to know who because sadly for Madeline she does have some competition for that spot. I’d argue Reimu would prolly be her biggest hurdle and a tough one to beat. While leaks have made all these suggestions on who’s coming and have mostly been wrong. Madeline has never been brought up in a leak that I’ve ever been aware of. MAYBE that’s a good thing? Out of my other wants for Fighters. I still have my faith in her to get in Smash Bros. She’s a fun character who will later be recognized by even more people and will make people wanna play her game even more.
I mean she has a true Mario Block in the game.
Let Madeline meet her idol, Mario. Nothing would be more pleasing than to see him and the others welcome such a wonderful character into the game.
I’m a true fan of Madeline
(as you couldn’t already tell lol)
Not to go so overboard about it but Celeste did a lot for me in my personal life and even taught me some lessons in life that I try to live by even til this day and I’ve seen many others share the same types of sentiment towards it.
She’s near and dear to my heart and nothing would make me happier than to see her make it to
Smash Bros. This second pass. Join The Battle, Madeline. “You Can Do This.”
On that note, I’d like to be a supporter.
Sakurai I hope she’s in that room with the other 5 characters waiting to be presented to the world.
I would scream louder than D1 did for Snake.
I promise let’s keep the thread going and get more supporters! Even Iamdadbod said we should start a Petition. I wholeheartedly agree. Where my Madeline fans at???

FunnyMewy

Smash Rookie
Madeline is my most wanted character in
Smash Bros. Period. Celeste struck me like a lightning in a bottle. I fell in love with Madeline and the game the moment I laid eyes on it and never before since I was a child where with Mario (he was the first video game I’ve ever been exposed to. Many others could maybe say the same?) Where I fell in love with a game that quickly. First of all, The STORY. I’ve also over the last few years have finally been more and more open to Indie Games and now I’m a HUGE fanatic of them.
I love some of them more than even some major games. Plus it’s the first time I’ve ever showed some emotion for a video game besides Smash Bros. Was Celeste the game itself. Something about Madeline makes you CARE for her journey. You want to reach that mountain and accomplish that goal. Whatever emotions she may have. It’s hard to not show compassion for those moments. She’s RELATABLE.
I sorta wish we got a backstory on how she was able to Dash in the first place but if you take out the game elements of it. It essentially rings off like a realistic situation. It’s not uncommon for an individual to go thru a lot of things and then decide to wanna achieve a bigger goal such as climbing a mountain or traveling to what have you. To seek some peace in one’s life and Madeline shows that. It’s a story that can be viewed in layers too. It can be viewed on the surface and taken as literal for what it is and also viewed as a metaphor as well. The MUSIC???
Lena Raine is an absolute GENIUS for the production that it got me teary eyed. Celeste Mountain itself being the stage would bring its beautiful visual aspect to Smash. Where do I see Madeline on the Banner?
Racing against my other childhood favorite:
Sonic.
If another Echo Fighter is possible then PLEASE let it be Badeline. I’ll even take her as a TRUE Alt.
Not just Madeline vaguely wearing her colors.
I’d want the real Badeline in there with her as well.
Because Chapter 9 brought new gameplay mechanics. This also could help her with more movesets as well. Overall she’s just a character that can’t be ignored. At least there’s not a lot of real hate for her game (that I’m aware of) the Fanbase is basically. 50% of us that know the game LOVE IT.
The other half just simply are unaware of Celeste in general and never heard of it Plus it’s Indie so there’s that.
While Sakurai has said its more important that a fighter is more fun to play as rather than recognizable. Well doesn’t Madeline SORT OF fit that description? She’s not entirely known by everybody which sort of helps her in this case. She also got to compete with the BIG DOGS at TGA 2018 and won best Indie Game of the Year plus Soundtrack.
I think a true Indie Rep for Smash is Inevitable, it’s obviously difficult to know who because sadly for Madeline she does have some competition for that spot. I’d argue Reimu would prolly be her biggest hurdle and a tough one to beat. While leaks have made all these suggestions on who’s coming and have mostly been wrong. Madeline has never been brought up in a leak that I’ve ever been aware of. MAYBE that’s a good thing? Out of my other wants for Fighters. I still have my faith in her to get in Smash Bros. She’s a fun character who will later be recognized by even more people and will make people wanna play her game even more.
I mean she has a true Mario Block in the game.
Let Madeline meet her idol, Mario. Nothing would be more pleasing than to see him and the others welcome such a wonderful character into the game.
I’m a true fan of Madeline
(as you couldn’t already tell lol)
Not to go so overboard about it but Celeste did a lot for me in my personal life and even taught me some lessons in life that I try to live by even til this day and I’ve seen many others share the same types of sentiment towards it.
She’s near and dear to my heart and nothing would make me happier than to see her make it to
Smash Bros. This second pass. Join The Battle, Madeline. “You Can Do This.”
On that note, I’d like to be a supporter.
Sakurai I hope she’s in that room with the other 5 characters waiting to be presented to the world.
I would scream louder than D1 did for Snake.
I promise let’s keep the thread going and get more supporters! Even Iamdadbod said we should start a Petition. I wholeheartedly agree. Where my Madeline fans at???
Heck yea brother, she’s the only character from any game that I want in Smash, however unlikely it is it’s my one hope

amageish

Smash Master
Hello! I support Madeline! She's from a great game with amazing music...

Paraster

Smash Lord
I came up with some concepts for Madeline's moveset--the specials, dash attack, and a gimmick.
  • Gimmick: Air Dash
    • Madeline’s midair jump behaves like her air dash from the original game--instead of leaping upward at a slight angle, she dashes straight ahead in whatever direction the control stick is held.
      • During the dash, she falls like normal and her hair turns blue. Her hair returns to normal when she lands (or regains her midair jump otherwise).
      • The dash has a weak hitbox that launches foes a short distance, though it is not strong enough to KO.
  • Dash attack
    • Madeline combines her dash ability with a shoulder tackle.
      • The dash move means that this plays out much quicker than most dash attacks.
      • Madeline gets the visual effects of a dash, but since she is grounded, she immediately returns to her brown-hair state.
  • Neutral special: Tower Bow
    • Madeline pulls out a bow and, when the button is released, fires an arrow, which flies forward and is affected like gravity like other bow-and-arrow moves.
      • This attack cannot be charged like other bow moves; holding the button will not increase its power.
      • If the control stick is held in any of the eight ordinal directions when the button is released, the arrow will be fired in that direction.
  • Side special: Feather Flight
    • Madeline uses a feather to turn into a golden comet for a short time. The comet flies forward and can be nudged up and down.
      • The comet has a weak hitbox for its duration, and has a sweetspot at the very beginning of its flight.
      • Madeline is put in special fall after the move ends.
  • Up special: Ghost Throw
    • Badeline appears and throws Madeline upwards.
      • The throw effectively acts as a version of the air dash that is stronger and goes farther, but can only go straight upwards. (Madeline can move left and right as she ascends, though.)
      • While ascending, Madeline is surrounded by a weak hitbox.
  • Down special: Dash Diamond
    • Madeline spawns a diamond at her current location that, should she air dash through it, boosts the power and distance of that dash.
      • If Madeline already has three diamonds on the screen, the oldest one will shatter if she uses this move again.
  • Final Smash: Reflection
    • Madeline charges up, her hair flaring pink. She then does a long dash in the direction the control stick is held (if it is not held, she dashes in the direction she faces by default).
      • The dash damages all opponents it hits, but only one will get caught in the ensuing attack. The victim is dragged to the top-center of the stage, and Madeline floats above them as Badeline takes on her monstrous form from chapter 6 and barrages the opponent with energy balls and lashes from her hair appendages. At the end, she re-fuses with Madeline, who regains her pink hair before launching a powerful downward dash at the opponent.

Last edited:

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Support for Madeline. I haven't purchased Chapter 9 yet as I'm still working on a 100% save file, but when I finish those things she's next on my list for moveset making.
Sans and Cuphead cracked open the door for indies, and Steve flung it wide open. It's Madeline's turn to step through it.

Gaming-101

Smash Rookie
Why is no one talking about this? It’s confirmed that apparently Madeline is Transgender! As someone in the LGBT community, I’ve never been more excited than now!

Oracle Link

Smash Master
User was warned for this post
Why is no one talking about this? It’s confirmed that apparently Madeline is Transgender! As someone in the LGBT community, I’ve never been more excited than now!
??????? what no i think most backstory details of her should stay up to interpretation
im suddenly really dissapointed does every female character need to focus on Gender/sex facts

fine for you i guess but i now put her of my top 1 female character spot

and no i dont hate or love you because youre LGbtQ

amageish

Smash Master
Thought up how I'd do a Madeline Smash trailer. It's quite different from the usual trailer tone, but I think it'd be fitting.

The Ice Climbers are shown, in a CG, trying to climb a big mountain. They are struggling and toughing it out when a flying strawberry floats by. The Ice Climbers stare in amazement for a moment, right when it's snatched up by a mysterious figure, dashing up the mountain faster then the Climbers would possibly imagine going. They look dejected briefly, then shake it off and continue climbing.

Later, the Ice Climbers begin to get tired. It's snowing hard and they just don't think they can make it. One starts to do their failure crying animation, when a hand appears and begins to comfort them. Zooming out to reveal Madeline, she peacefully pats the Climber's shoulder until they stop crying and look up and her. The Climbers look at each other and at Madeline, before wordlessly agreeing to climb together.

After a brief montage of them helping each other climb the mountain, they arrive at the summit. Everyone is awestruck by its beauty when the Ice Climbers decide they want to thank Madeline for her help climbing the mountain. They pull out a Smash invite and offer it to her, which she initially awkwardly rejects, but they eventually force it into her hands. Splash screen happens.

Gameplay is shown, with largely-calm music playing in the background. The gameplay showcase primarily focuses on her mobility and doesn't show much combat.

Finally, in the after-gameplay CG, Madeline is shown nervously approaching a group of people. All of the other DLC characters appear talking, looking cool, confidant, and suave. Madeline's resolve briefly falters, but she takes a deep breath, accompanied by a brief animation of a feather floating until it becomes perfectly still, and she approaches the group of other DLC characters with confidence.

Cut to the logo: Smash Bros x Celeste.

Idk. I just like the idea of Madeline getting a Smash invite by just being a good person, instead of winning it in a fight, stealing it, or being given it by an interventionist God.

Top Bottom