• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Made a fan Roster, what do you guys think?

Zero Suit Violet

Smash Journeyman
Okay! So I decided to try my hand on making a roster of my own! For this roster, I will not try to replace the roster of Ultimate, because well ... it's already here, I much prefer working on the roster of Ultimate as a base, and then go for the rest, I won't go for the "Everyone is Here !" gimmick again, that would be lazy, and will I do know I will make people unhappy with some cuts ... I hope to bring add and cuts that are justified to you guys, all of that being said, let's begin !

The Cuts

So let's start off with the hard stuff, the cuts, I will try to explain why I cut each character every time I do so, as to give explaination to my reasoning

Bowser Jr. ; Bowser Jr. while being a nice character, is, in my opinion, a character we can also let go, he isn't that important in the recent instanlement of the series (Not here in the last 2 Mario 3d, only here in the final boss battle in the last 2d one), and the character himself isn't that well made in reguard of what he can do, since they focused on the Koopalings aspect ... they gave him a moveset that could fit every of them, which in return, strapped his uniqueness away from him, maybe in a later game, he could return with brand new ability ! We'll see what the future of Mario game have for us

Doctor Mario : I like the guy, but his whole gimmick is being an heavier Mario, I do not think this deserve his own slot, instead he get the Alph treatement, a unique skin for Mario, a lot of work was done in this character it's true, but I think he isn't that valuable in the long term

Toon Link : Okay ... this one hurt a lot personally, because Toon Link was my main since Brawl, but ... as it is, I cannot keep 3 Links like they did, it just make a bad representation of the series, and while in any other cases, I would have cutted Young Link, which will probably not return later, the idea I had to make a choice, and well, I think that seing what I will do with YLink, if I did the opposite, many people would have been against it, so you wiil be missed TLink, but it is a needed departure

Falco : Okay, I know I'm gonna get some heat of that, but I feel like representing this series with 3 times the same moveset, even altered as it is for those 3, is something kinda bad, this series need more variety, and that's why I had to cut one of the 3, of course I couldn't cut Fox, I wouldn't cut Wolf either because having a vilain is a good thing, so Falco was the obvious choice ... I know you will be missed by a lot of people, but like TLink, it's needed

Pichu : It seem like I'm hating on Semi Clones, but I am just trying to cut some similarity, to add more diversity, Pichu was nice to see back in Ultimate, but I don't think he is needed for the sequel, was either him or Mewtwo, and well, I think people like Mewtwo more than him

Lucas : Okay this one also hurt as a big Mother fan, but it is needed for what I want to do, and a series like Mother cannot justify a newcommer without a cut, due to not being in the spotlight anymore, Ness is protected by the OG status, so Lucas have to go, I promise you guys won't be dissapointed with what I have in mind, fellow Mother 3 fans

Roy : To many FE, to many Swordman, two of the most heared complaints I hear, and that I agree with, by cutting Roy, I cut one of the character at the source of this problem, Fire Boy have to go I fear, you will stay our boy forever, but a cut is needed for now

Ike : I'm gonna get a lot of flames off this one .. but yes, I am cutting Ike, in the goal of representing this series better, I have to make some hard choices, and Ike, will really liked, is not the most unique character of this series in Smash, and as such, cutting him was needed to allow a better representation

I will also not add again the content of the Fighter Pass, if the popularity is enough, a returning dlc can be made for those

Rework

Some cuts have been made, but more are technicly made too, some of the characters have a moveset that does not quite fit their character nowdays, and need an heavy rework, which is why I didn't include them in the cuts, but in this new section of rework, I will count every characters here, and then why they are being reworked on, and how

Young Link : This, is what I was talking about earlier in the cut section, one of the Link is getting a total rework to suit their games better, and well, Young Link was always the most popular in this case, representing the Majora's Mask entry of the series, Young Link is now capable to switch between Deku, Goron and Zora for his different attacks, as well as pulling the powerful Fierce Deity mask for his Final Smash, this will give this Link a whole new light, and will give the fans of MM what they wanted for a long time

Ganondorf : This one was asked for as long as I can remember ... a unique Ganondorf, and not a simple clone of Captain Falcon, for this one, we'll have an interesting mix of an heavy fighter, with a float and powerful attacks, using his different magic for his specials, his Sword for his Smash attacks, and a combination of the two for his grab, tilt etc ... The King of Evil is ready to take on Smash, for real this time

Sheik : Impa replace her, same character and moveset, but the base skin is Impa, Sheik simply become a costume, Impa is more important to put in than Sheik, and Sheik moveset always fitted Impa better than Sheik

Samus : Technically had it's place into cut, but it's kinda difficult to choose which one make more sense, Zero Suit Samus is now part of Samus again, being canonly a Depowered Samus, I think it make sense that it stay that way, she will be a weaker version of her Smash Ultimate self, but can still pack a punch while waiting for her armor to return, I feel like this was also needed for more variety, two Samuses is kinda a waste on this roster when we have other more diversify characters to add

Dark Samus : Getting out of the clone state was a given for this character that was more unique as an AT than as a Playable fighter ... The titular antagonist of the Metroid Series is getting some recognition this time around, using her powerful Phazon attacks, and a whole arsenal of moves that Smash Samus can't put off, people expecting to fight Samus when facing her, risk to be surprised, Float, Beams, Phazon pillar, this fighter is unpredictable in many ways

Lucina : So not asked often to be declonned, but I personally think it's a given seing how unique her fighting style actually is in different cutscene in Awakening, as well as getting out of the Swordman only trope, Lucina now fight way differently, using whole new Sword Moves, as well as switching occasionaly with a Bow, and a Spear for some of her attacks, more polyvalent, less Swordwoman, Chrom also switch from Roy echo, to Lucina echo

Newcommer !

Now the part most people have been waiting for, we are going for the newcommers next ! As per usual, I will first explain why I put them here, and a bit of what they are capable off in battle

Fawful : We lost one Mario characters that played with a lot of gimmicky gadget when he should never have, which is why in return, I introduce a character with the same gadget gimmick, exepct it suit the character, I feel like as it is, the main cast of Mario is well represented, and exploring the cast of the alternate universe may be a good idea instead of staying in the main one only, which is why I introduce one of the most important and well liked vilain of the M&L series first !

Dimentio : It was difficult to put a M&L character, without putting a Paper Mario's one as well, it was difficult to find which one as the cast change every day, so I had to go by the popularity to add Dimentio, the reality warper Jester, gimmicky and really powerful, but being made of Paper also make him REALLY light, Dimentio would be the definition of a Glass Canon

E. Gaad : After his 3rd instalement, I think that Luigi's Mansion deserved it's first rep into the game, it was difficult to choose between King Boo and him, but I ultimatly decided on the professor due to the fact I added 2 Mario vilains in already, using all sorts of far fetched invention, this crazy scientist aim to surprise on the battlefield ! Don't understimate him, or you will soon find yourself trapped in a painting !

Tetra : A new character for the Zelda series is something asked since a while, as much as I wanted to go for Midna on personal Bias, let's not let that cloud my judgement, let's go with the recuring characters first, and Tetra is one, being present in 3 games not counting the spin off, as well as being important in the story of a 4th, she is one of the most recuring character of the series, she is also representing one timeline that isn't represented anymore by the dissaperance of Toon Link (that is why I didn't put Skull Kid instead of her, MM is already repped by YLink), armed with her Wave Gun, Light Arrows, and Saber, this Pirate girl is ready to sail into this new world of Smash !

Sylux : Hinted since Metroid Prime 3 to be the main vilain of the upcomming Prime 4, it make sense to add him into the game, the mysterious Hunter join the fight, armed with his Shock Coil and his unyielding rage for the federation, he will show no mercy in the battlefield, his weapon is capable of self healing, making him an all out offensive character, the more you hit, the less you're hurt, no holding back when picking him

Bandana Dee : Popular character of his series, as well as Japan most liked choices for Smash, this Brave Waddle Dee is joining the fight, with him in, the quartet of Dreamland heroes is finally complete, as well as finally getting some recognition for the Modern side of the Kirby series,coming with his Spear, Umbrella as well as a Beam Rod, do not understimate him, he's not just a pretty face !

Magolor : After getting ignored for 2 games, I feel like the Kirby series can get, like in Brawl, two newcommer at once, I may be acused of bias here, but I'm trying to stay as objective as I can be, I do think it's justified for this popular series to get a little bit more recognition, adding a vilain was needed after completing the protagonist quartet, and I couldn't ask Marx even though he is more popular, due to him fitting a lot more as a boss, than as playable in my opinion, so Magolor shows up instead, popular, recurent enough, and having a lot of potential with his Dimension warping powers, the CROWNED King of Another Dimension join the fight !

Krystal : So, I am not a big fan of the Star Fox series, so I cannot justify it as much as I could for others, but from what I saw and heard, Krystal is one of the most recognisable member of the Star Fox, while having widely different weapons at her disposable, Staff, Snipers, a whole new playstyle for this series is well welcomed here

Dusknoir : Adding Pokemons is always an a struggle due to how many they are, and how many are justified to get in, for this one, I choosed Dusknoir on two criteria, he is from a generation not yet to be represented, the 3rd generation, as well as representing a sub series of Pokemon, Mystery Dungeon, giving us a true vilain for the Pokemon series, Dusknoir would be an interesting and weird fighter, is Ghost type introduce a lot of interesting gimmick, and being the commander of Dialga army, you can be sure he won't fight fair and square, it will never truly be 1v1 against him, his Sableye are always waiting in the shadows

xxxx of Gen 8 : There have been since Brawl, a slot reserved to the latest generation of pokemon, it's something that I'm not willing to remove, as it will probably happen again next time anyway

Masked Man : Mother fans, this is for you, by removing Lucas, I allowed a place for a vilain of the Mother series instead, we have the apperance of the Masked Man, a heavely weaponised Cyborg with a lot of trick under his sleeves, litteraly, Porky would also have been a choice, but I settled on Masked Man instead for the representation of more than one game of this series

Hector : Replacing Roy, we get a Lord from the same era as him, using an entirely new weapon for this series, no more FE Swordman only, we now get one of the most popular Lord of all time, that do not use a Sword, instead he use a powerful Axe, really Heavy character, but packing a punch with every attacks, his Axe is a powerful, long ranged weapon

Micaiah : Once again, replacing a cutted character, with another from the same era, we get our first full blown mage of the series, Micaiah, using powerful tomes and her healing power to her advantage, she is a powerful oponent on long ranged battle, with her in, we have now Sword, Axe, Spear, Tome and Bow represented, the only missing weapon is Dagger, but it will do for now

DJ Octavio : Splatoon is one of Nintendo most recent IP, and one of the most succesful one too, that's why I do think it deserve a second rep for the next game, most people would bet on Octoling for the next Splatoon rep, I would personally bet on the antagonist of the series, the powerful DJ Octavio, in his Heavy mechas, this Music addict Octopus would be a very powerful character, that would trade of Speed and Heavyness, for Power and Range, long range fist and weapons, this character will be hard to take down if he can take a bit of range on you

Lip : In every instalement, we get a new retro/"Who ?" character, first we had Ice Climbers and Mr Game and Watch, then ROB, then Duck Hunt, after all those NES classic (apart G&W obviously); I think it's time to move on to the Super Nes, with a character that was represented in Smash since almost the beginning, since Melee her signature Flower was there, I think it's now time for the protagonist of Panel de Pon to come pick her weapon up, in a Smash !

I am now moving to an unknown teritory, the 3rd parties, excuse me if I do some error in judgement in who to add or not in there, I have less knowledge on them, I have to admit that much

Bomberman : I saw him being asked around since a while, and he is a classic character, that have been on Nintendo console since the beginning, with such a big history with Nintendo, I think it's a given to move this Assist Trophy to playable, using different kind of Bombs and boost of his own adventure, Bomberman will change the battlefield into a litteral Minefield ! Careful where you step !

Crash : Seem to be one of the popular mascot still not added in Smash that have an history with the Nintendo, recently with the N Sane trilogy, and before with some of his games coming to various Nintendo console, I think Crash earned his place into Smash

Echo Fighters

And now that we are done with the unique newcommer, let's get on with the Echo Figters, not a lot of them this time around, but they are still there

Dixie Kong : Beloved character of her series, she have the exact same body type as Diddy, allowing her to be his echo fighters, replacing her Up B with a grappler kind of think like Ivysaur, but with her hair, as well as making her tilts different hit, we have a Ken level echo fighter for this requested fighter !

Lucas : Lucas is not totally erased from the game, as I know it would be sad to get his nemesis in, while being unable to recreate his fight with him, but he is reduced to an echo fighter, which mean his move act the exact same as Ness, but his PK Flash still keep his freezing propreties

Medusa : Palutena get her nemesis as her echo fighter this time, focusing on more Aggresive abilities, Medusa trade off the LIGHTness of Palutena, for the DARKness of her moves, not that much of a difference because she is stil a echo fighter, but it does show like Dark Pit is to Pit

Shadow : Was pretty much a given, Shadow get to be the echo fighter of Sonic this time around, don't know why it didn't happen this time as a matter of fact ...

Well that is all ! Hope you will enjoy this roster, I'm not pretensious enough to say that I pleased everyone with it, but I did try my best to do so, to keep demands and requests in, and to add some logical choices to the roster, feel free to post your feedbacks in this thead ! I'll be sure to respond to any questions !

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
  • :ultfalco::ultike: shouldn't be cut. They're less unique, but they're both too important in their own series.
  • Don't give Mario three newcomers, especially after cutting :ultbowserjr:. Don't give FE two newcomers either.
  • Demoting :ultlucas: is just weird. If anything, Masked Man should be the echo.
  • Dusknoir is from Gen 4, not 3.
  • Please no third Zelda.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Haha, :ultike: is by far the most popular FE character as shown by an official poll. Cutting him would be insane.

That's all I personally have to offer.

Zero Suit Violet

Smash Journeyman
  • :ultfalco::ultike: shouldn't be cut. They're less unique, but they're both too important in their own series.
  • Don't give Mario three newcomers, especially after cutting :ultbowserjr:. Don't give FE two newcomers either.
  • Demoting :ultlucas: is just weird. If anything, Masked Man should be the echo.
  • Dusknoir is from Gen 4, not 3.
  • Please no third Zelda.
Well.. For Falco and Ike, yeah, I know it was a hard choice to do, but for Falco, I couldn't justify a new Star Fox rep without removing another one, and this series need more diversity! So I had to cut one, and Falco was the only one I could cut, Ike is in a similar position, execpt that since he's from a game with a rotating cast, he isn't that important, popular yes, but not that much more important that Micaiha (Yes he have two games and she only have one, but she give more diversity, so I prefered cutting him, cuts are never an easy choice)

Well Mario is getting 3 newcomer true, but, they are each from their own distinct alternate universe, so they represent those unique universe instead of really the Mario series itself, E. Gaad is even from Luigi's Mansion, which at this point is as much of a Mario game that Yoshi is, cutting Bowser Jr is something that I only intend as temporary, he's getting unimportant in the main game as of now, but I have no doubt that he will make a comeback, which is what I' m waiting for to add him again as Bowser Jr, and not Koopaling + if you get what I mean

Demoting Lucas was... À really hard choice, but like Star Fox, I couldn't justify a new rep without cutting one before, the écho was the least I could do... And Masked Man would really be ill suited for Echo, he just have too much unique stuff for that, him fighting with a Thunder Sword is one of those things

I know that Dusknoir is from Gen 4,but I counted him as a représentant of Gen 3 because well... Only his evolution is Gen 4,which mean that his evolution line is still from the Gen 3, and plus, he fight with his army of Sableye, which are also Gen 3 Pokémon

Okay, if we're playing on technicality, Tetra is a Zelda... For 5 minutes, in 3 games she appeared, seriously degrading her to just Zelda is kinda bad when you see the whole character, she refuse to be called Zelda by anyone, and when she created her kingdom, she was called Tetra of Hyrule, not Zelda of Hyrule, as such I didn't put away such an interesting and récurent character, just because she was Zelda for two minutes

Hope that all of that being said, you can understand my choices, and I hope you enjoyed the rest of the Roster!

Last edited:

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
User was warned for this post
Cutting Bowser Jr.

****. You.

Zero Suit Violet

Smash Journeyman
Cutting Bowser Jr.

****. You.
Ouch... I'm sorry about that! I know that cutting a character always leave someone sad, but I don't intend this cut to be definitive, I'm just waiting for Bowser Jr to make his come back into the main games, and taking those new abilities and boss battle he would have, to create a new and unique moveset for Bowser Jr, and not Koopaling +, I feel like they really stripped all uniqueness from him by doing that...

Namasura

Smash Journeyman
Taking Bowser Jr. out for less relevant Mario characters is really something I do not think they would do, or, for that matter, that should be done.

Last edited:

Zero Suit Violet

Smash Journeyman
Taking Bowser Jr. out for less relevant Mario characters is really something I do not think they would do, or, for that matter, that should be done.
Well they are not révélant to the Main Mario Universe yes, but they are important in their own Alternate Universes, which is what make them a good pick in my opinion, as for Bowser Jr... Like I said in the OP, He's getting less revelant since a while in the main games, so I'm waiting for him to come back before adding him back with a brand new moveset!

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Okay! So I decided to try my hand on making a roster of my own! For this roster, I will not try to replace the roster of Ultimate, because well ... it's already here, I much prefer working on the roster of Ultimate as a base, and then go for the rest, I won't go for the "Everyone is Here !" gimmick again, that would be lazy, and will I do know I will make people unhappy with some cuts ... I hope to bring add and cuts that are justified to you guys, all of that being said, let's begin !

The Cuts

So let's start off with the hard stuff, the cuts, I will try to explain why I cut each character every time I do so, as to give explaination to my reasoning

Bowser Jr. ; Bowser Jr. while being a nice character, is, in my opinion, a character we can also let go, he isn't that important in the recent instanlement of the series (Not here in the last 2 Mario 3d, only here in the final boss battle in the last 2d one), and the character himself isn't that well made in reguard of what he can do, since they focused on the Koopalings aspect ... they gave him a moveset that could fit every of them, which in return, strapped his uniqueness away from him, maybe in a later game, he could return with brand new ability ! We'll see what the future of Mario game have for us

Doctor Mario : I like the guy, but his whole gimmick is being an heavier Mario, I do not think this deserve his own slot, instead he get the Alph treatement, a unique skin for Mario, a lot of work was done in this character it's true, but I think he isn't that valuable in the long term

Toon Link : Okay ... this one hurt a lot personally, because Toon Link was my main since Brawl, but ... as it is, I cannot keep 3 Links like they did, it just make a bad representation of the series, and while in any other cases, I would have cutted Young Link, which will probably not return later, the idea I had to make a choice, and well, I think that seing what I will do with YLink, if I did the opposite, many people would have been against it, so you wiil be missed TLink, but it is a needed departure

Falco : Okay, I know I'm gonna get some heat of that, but I feel like representing this series with 3 times the same moveset, even altered as it is for those 3, is something kinda bad, this series need more variety, and that's why I had to cut one of the 3, of course I couldn't cut Fox, I wouldn't cut Wolf either because having a vilain is a good thing, so Falco was the obvious choice ... I know you will be missed by a lot of people, but like TLink, it's needed

Pichu : It seem like I'm hating on Semi Clones, but I am just trying to cut some similarity, to add more diversity, Pichu was nice to see back in Ultimate, but I don't think he is needed for the sequel, was either him or Mewtwo, and well, I think people like Mewtwo more than him

Lucas : Okay this one also hurt as a big Mother fan, but it is needed for what I want to do, and a series like Mother cannot justify a newcommer without a cut, due to not being in the spotlight anymore, Ness is protected by the OG status, so Lucas have to go, I promise you guys won't be dissapointed with what I have in mind, fellow Mother 3 fans

Roy : To many FE, to many Swordman, two of the most heared complaints I hear, and that I agree with, by cutting Roy, I cut one of the character at the source of this problem, Fire Boy have to go I fear, you will stay our boy forever, but a cut is needed for now

Ike : I'm gonna get a lot of flames off this one .. but yes, I am cutting Ike, in the goal of representing this series better, I have to make some hard choices, and Ike, will really liked, is not the most unique character of this series in Smash, and as such, cutting him was needed to allow a better representation

I will also not add again the content of the Fighter Pass, if the popularity is enough, a returning dlc can be made for those

Rework

Some cuts have been made, but more are technicly made too, some of the characters have a moveset that does not quite fit their character nowdays, and need an heavy rework, which is why I didn't include them in the cuts, but in this new section of rework, I will count every characters here, and then why they are being reworked on, and how

Young Link : This, is what I was talking about earlier in the cut section, one of the Link is getting a total rework to suit their games better, and well, Young Link was always the most popular in this case, representing the Majora's Mask entry of the series, Young Link is now capable to switch between Deku, Goron and Zora for his different attacks, as well as pulling the powerful Fierce Deity mask for his Final Smash, this will give this Link a whole new light, and will give the fans of MM what they wanted for a long time

Ganondorf : This one was asked for as long as I can remember ... a unique Ganondorf, and not a simple clone of Captain Falcon, for this one, we'll have an interesting mix of an heavy fighter, with a float and powerful attacks, using his different magic for his specials, his Sword for his Smash attacks, and a combination of the two for his grab, tilt etc ... The King of Evil is ready to take on Smash, for real this time

Sheik : Impa replace her, same character and moveset, but the base skin is Impa, Sheik simply become a costume, Impa is more important to put in than Sheik, and Sheik moveset always fitted Impa better than Sheik

Samus : Technically had it's place into cut, but it's kinda difficult to choose which one make more sense, Zero Suit Samus is now part of Samus again, being canonly a Depowered Samus, I think it make sense that it stay that way, she will be a weaker version of her Smash Ultimate self, but can still pack a punch while waiting for her armor to return, I feel like this was also needed for more variety, two Samuses is kinda a waste on this roster when we have other more diversify characters to add

Dark Samus : Getting out of the clone state was a given for this character that was more unique as an AT than as a Playable fighter ... The titular antagonist of the Metroid Series is getting some recognition this time around, using her powerful Phazon attacks, and a whole arsenal of moves that Smash Samus can't put off, people expecting to fight Samus when facing her, risk to be surprised, Float, Beams, Phazon pillar, this fighter is unpredictable in many ways

Lucina : So not asked often to be declonned, but I personally think it's a given seing how unique her fighting style actually is in different cutscene in Awakening, as well as getting out of the Swordman only trope, Lucina now fight way differently, using whole new Sword Moves, as well as switching occasionaly with a Bow, and a Spear for some of her attacks, more polyvalent, less Swordwoman, Chrom also switch from Roy echo, to Lucina echo

Newcommer !

Now the part most people have been waiting for, we are going for the newcommers next ! As per usual, I will first explain why I put them here, and a bit of what they are capable off in battle

Fawful : We lost one Mario characters that played with a lot of gimmicky gadget when he should never have, which is why in return, I introduce a character with the same gadget gimmick, exepct it suit the character, I feel like as it is, the main cast of Mario is well represented, and exploring the cast of the alternate universe may be a good idea instead of staying in the main one only, which is why I introduce one of the most important and well liked vilain of the M&L series first !

Dimentio : It was difficult to put a M&L character, without putting a Paper Mario's one as well, it was difficult to find which one as the cast change every day, so I had to go by the popularity to add Dimentio, the reality warper Jester, gimmicky and really powerful, but being made of Paper also make him REALLY light, Dimentio would be the definition of a Glass Canon

E. Gaad : After his 3rd instalement, I think that Luigi's Mansion deserved it's first rep into the game, it was difficult to choose between King Boo and him, but I ultimatly decided on the professor due to the fact I added 2 Mario vilains in already, using all sorts of far fetched invention, this crazy scientist aim to surprise on the battlefield ! Don't understimate him, or you will soon find yourself trapped in a painting !

Tetra : A new character for the Zelda series is something asked since a while, as much as I wanted to go for Midna on personal Bias, let's not let that cloud my judgement, let's go with the recuring characters first, and Tetra is one, being present in 3 games not counting the spin off, as well as being important in the story of a 4th, she is one of the most recuring character of the series, she is also representing one timeline that isn't represented anymore by the dissaperance of Toon Link (that is why I didn't put Skull Kid instead of her, MM is already repped by YLink), armed with her Wave Gun, Light Arrows, and Saber, this Pirate girl is ready to sail into this new world of Smash !

Sylux : Hinted since Metroid Prime 3 to be the main vilain of the upcomming Prime 4, it make sense to add him into the game, the mysterious Hunter join the fight, armed with his Shock Coil and his unyielding rage for the federation, he will show no mercy in the battlefield, his weapon is capable of self healing, making him an all out offensive character, the more you hit, the less you're hurt, no holding back when picking him

Bandana Dee : Popular character of his series, as well as Japan most liked choices for Smash, this Brave Waddle Dee is joining the fight, with him in, the quartet of Dreamland heroes is finally complete, as well as finally getting some recognition for the Modern side of the Kirby series,coming with his Spear, Umbrella as well as a Beam Rod, do not understimate him, he's not just a pretty face !

Magolor : After getting ignored for 2 games, I feel like the Kirby series can get, like in Brawl, two newcommer at once, I may be acused of bias here, but I'm trying to stay as objective as I can be, I do think it's justified for this popular series to get a little bit more recognition, adding a vilain was needed after completing the protagonist quartet, and I couldn't ask Marx even though he is more popular, due to him fitting a lot more as a boss, than as playable in my opinion, so Magolor shows up instead, popular, recurent enough, and having a lot of potential with his Dimension warping powers, the CROWNED King of Another Dimension join the fight !

Krystal : So, I am not a big fan of the Star Fox series, so I cannot justify it as much as I could for others, but from what I saw and heard, Krystal is one of the most recognisable member of the Star Fox, while having widely different weapons at her disposable, Staff, Snipers, a whole new playstyle for this series is well welcomed here

Dusknoir : Adding Pokemons is always an a struggle due to how many they are, and how many are justified to get in, for this one, I choosed Dusknoir on two criteria, he is from a generation not yet to be represented, the 3rd generation, as well as representing a sub series of Pokemon, Mystery Dungeon, giving us a true vilain for the Pokemon series, Dusknoir would be an interesting and weird fighter, is Ghost type introduce a lot of interesting gimmick, and being the commander of Dialga army, you can be sure he won't fight fair and square, it will never truly be 1v1 against him, his Sableye are always waiting in the shadows

xxxx of Gen 8 : There have been since Brawl, a slot reserved to the latest generation of pokemon, it's something that I'm not willing to remove, as it will probably happen again next time anyway

Masked Man : Mother fans, this is for you, by removing Lucas, I allowed a place for a vilain of the Mother series instead, we have the apperance of the Masked Man, a heavely weaponised Cyborg with a lot of trick under his sleeves, litteraly, Porky would also have been a choice, but I settled on Masked Man instead for the representation of more than one game of this series

Hector : Replacing Roy, we get a Lord from the same era as him, using an entirely new weapon for this series, no more FE Swordman only, we now get one of the most popular Lord of all time, that do not use a Sword, instead he use a powerful Axe, really Heavy character, but packing a punch with every attacks, his Axe is a powerful, long ranged weapon

Micaiah : Once again, replacing a cutted character, with another from the same era, we get our first full blown mage of the series, Micaiah, using powerful tomes and her healing power to her advantage, she is a powerful oponent on long ranged battle, with her in, we have now Sword, Axe, Spear, Tome and Bow represented, the only missing weapon is Dagger, but it will do for now

DJ Octavio : Splatoon is one of Nintendo most recent IP, and one of the most succesful one too, that's why I do think it deserve a second rep for the next game, most people would bet on Octoling for the next Splatoon rep, I would personally bet on the antagonist of the series, the powerful DJ Octavio, in his Heavy mechas, this Music addict Octopus would be a very powerful character, that would trade of Speed and Heavyness, for Power and Range, long range fist and weapons, this character will be hard to take down if he can take a bit of range on you

Lip : In every instalement, we get a new retro/"Who ?" character, first we had Ice Climbers and Mr Game and Watch, then ROB, then Duck Hunt, after all those NES classic (apart G&W obviously); I think it's time to move on to the Super Nes, with a character that was represented in Smash since almost the beginning, since Melee her signature Flower was there, I think it's now time for the protagonist of Panel de Pon to come pick her weapon up, in a Smash !

I am now moving to an unknown teritory, the 3rd parties, excuse me if I do some error in judgement in who to add or not in there, I have less knowledge on them, I have to admit that much

Bomberman : I saw him being asked around since a while, and he is a classic character, that have been on Nintendo console since the beginning, with such a big history with Nintendo, I think it's a given to move this Assist Trophy to playable, using different kind of Bombs and boost of his own adventure, Bomberman will change the battlefield into a litteral Minefield ! Careful where you step !

Crash : Seem to be one of the popular mascot still not added in Smash that have an history with the Nintendo, recently with the N Sane trilogy, and before with some of his games coming to various Nintendo console, I think Crash earned his place into Smash

Echo Fighters

And now that we are done with the unique newcommer, let's get on with the Echo Figters, not a lot of them this time around, but they are still there

Dixie Kong : Beloved character of her series, she have the exact same body type as Diddy, allowing her to be his echo fighters, replacing her Up B with a grappler kind of think like Ivysaur, but with her hair, as well as making her tilts different hit, we have a Ken level echo fighter for this requested fighter !

Lucas : Lucas is not totally erased from the game, as I know it would be sad to get his nemesis in, while being unable to recreate his fight with him, but he is reduced to an echo fighter, which mean his move act the exact same as Ness, but his PK Flash still keep his freezing propreties

Medusa : Palutena get her nemesis as her echo fighter this time, focusing on more Aggresive abilities, Medusa trade off the LIGHTness of Palutena, for the DARKness of her moves, not that much of a difference because she is stil a echo fighter, but it does show like Dark Pit is to Pit

Shadow : Was pretty much a given, Shadow get to be the echo fighter of Sonic this time around, don't know why it didn't happen this time as a matter of fact ...

Well that is all ! Hope you will enjoy this roster, I'm not pretensious enough to say that I pleased everyone with it, but I did try my best to do so, to keep demands and requests in, and to add some logical choices to the roster, feel free to post your feedbacks in this thead ! I'll be sure to respond to any questions !
Instead of cutting Ike, you should cut Corrin because I would say Corrin is the least popular Fire Emblem character in the roster and one of the few characters everybody would agree on cutting. Also, Dixie Kong has a lot more going for her to actually have a unique moveset whether than being a Echo.

Last edited:

Zero Suit Violet

Smash Journeyman
Instead of cutting Ike, you should cut Corrin because I would say Corrin is the least popular Fire Emblem character in the roster. Also, Dixie Kong has a lot more going for her to actually have a unique moveset whether than being a Echo.
Oh, while yes it is true that Corrin is kinda hated in the Smash community, he's actually one of the most unique characters in the series and in the game, I prefered to keep Dragon Stone than another Sword (even if Ike use it in a unique way, he's still the less unique of his series)

As for Dixie, I must admit never have played any of the Donkey Kong games featuring her, but after doing my research and talking with some Dixie fans, I came to the conclusion that being an echo at first would still be a good representation of the character for now, and if it rise up in popularity after, reworking on her and giving a unique moveset, would be something that would be possible

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord
All these cuts and not having Dixie unique makes this fail so hard it's not even funny, I'll just stick with Ultimate..
for Dixie, I must admit never have played any of the Donkey Kong games featuring her, but after doing my research and talking with some Dixie fans, I came to the conclusion that being an echo at first would still be a good representation of the character for now, and if it rise up in popularity after, reworking on her and giving a unique moveset, would be something that would be possible
Highly disagree with that, if Dixie isn't unique it pretty much takes away her purpose of character, she's always heavily reliant on her ponytail and that's something Diddy could never do, an echo would butcher her her big time and many of her fans would be disappointed, I also don't want her to be stuck with a broken base like how Ganondorf and Dark Samus have.

A semi clone on levels of Wolf, Lucas and Isabelle would be more acceptable cause it would a least allow her to have her own characteristics with her abilities.

Last edited:

Zero Suit Violet

Smash Journeyman
All these cuts and not having Dixie unique makes this fail so hard it's not even funny, I'll just stick with Ultimate.
Well.. I'm sorry, making cut is always a hard decision and.. Yeah some of them really hurted me too, but decision have to be made in order to bring new material to the series
As for Dixie, I explained in another post, but I'm not very knowledgeable in DK games, but I did my own research and talked with people who do like Dixie, and I came to the conclusion that first introducing her as an echo, is something that can suit the character in a first time, then if her popularity rise up, and if she start appearing again in DK games (Yes I know, TF, but it was an Anniversary game, so I'm waiting to see if she become mainstay after that), well then we can upgrade her with a brand new moveset

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord
Well.. I'm sorry, making cut is always a hard decision and.. Yeah some of them really hurted me too, but decision have to be made in order to bring new material to the series
As for Dixie, I explained in another post, but I'm not very knowledgeable in DK games, but I did my own research and talked with people who do like Dixie, and I came to the conclusion that first introducing her as an echo, is something that can suit the character in a first time, then if her popularity rise up, and if she start appearing again in DK games (Yes I know, TF, but it was an Anniversary game, so I'm waiting to see if she become mainstay after that), well then we can upgrade her with a brand new moveset
Read my post above. I'll never accept that idea and I know many fans of hers would agree that Dixie needs to be a least a semi clone to be represented properly.

Also first time wouldn't help considering how Dark Pit and Lucina are still stuck as echoes.

Last edited:

Zero Suit Violet

Smash Journeyman
Read my post above. I'll never accept that idea and I know many fans of hers would agree that Dixie needs to be a least a semi clone to be represented properly.

Also first time wouldn't help considering how Dark Pit and Lucina are still stuck as echoes.
Well, in the case of my roster, Lucina is not an echo anymore, I couldn't bring Dark Pit to unique as I already brought an echo of this series, but Lucina is entirely reworked to be unique, so that's why I don't considerate making Dixie one to be definitive

Also well ... I'm sorry that you really don't like the idea of Dixie as an echo, I guess I could have putted her as an AT instead to test out the popularity instead, but I don't know if it wouldn't have been worse, also, while she is an echo, she is a Ken level echo, almost a semi clone, different Up B, different normal attacks and throw, she isn't a total Semi Clone, but she isn't just a Skin + either

I hope you enjoyed the rest of the roster though, and once again, I'm sorry about not giving Dixie the Semi Clone moveset for now, but she would definitly get it in the future if her popularity continue to rise up

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Haha, :ultike: is by far the most popular FE character as shown by an official poll. Cutting him would be insane.

That's all I personally have to offer.
This.

It's quite likely that if Intelligent Systems is gonna make another 'Echoes' game (a remake of a orignal), they are gonna capitalise on Ike's popularity and remake his games first, as they are also console games, and they're making Three Houses for Switch at this current moment anyway.

So no, cutting Ike makes literally no sense. He's also as popular as he's ever been in Smash Bros. currently.

Bad move my dude. And weird how you still include Micaiah, but will cut Ike, who's more important overall than her.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Cutting Ike would probably be one of the worst moves they could do. He's literally the most popular Fire Emblem character and the sole character, currently, from the Tellius saga. Attempting to replace him with Micaiah would cause such extreme backlash that I can't even begin to describe.

In fact, I can say fairly confidently that Ike is a mainstay for Smash at this point. He's likely never going anywhere, even in the case of a roster reboot.

Zero Suit Violet

Smash Journeyman
Cutting Ike would probably be one of the worst moves they could do. He's literally the most popular Fire Emblem character and the sole character, currently, from the Tellius saga. Attempting to replace him with Micaiah would cause such extreme backlash that I can't even begin to describe.

In fact, I can say fairly confidently that Ike is a mainstay for Smash at this point. He's likely never going anywhere, even in the case of a roster reboot.
Mm, cutting Ike was an hard choice, But in the end, I prefered more unique character that could become more popular thanks to Smash, than the less unique one that is already popular because of Smash (Ike is also popular in his own game, but the same can be said about Micaiha), so I had to take a risk, a risk that not everyone will like, but I'm still willing to take it in exchange to a brand new character and gameplay in the series

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Mm, cutting Ike was an hard choice, But in the end, I prefered more unique character that could become more popular thanks to Smash, than the less unique one that is already popular because of Smash (Ike is also popular in his own game, but the same can be said about Micaiha), so I had to take a risk, a risk that not everyone will like, but I'm still willing to take it in exchange to a brand new character and gameplay in the series
But like, Ike is already completely unique from everyone else in Smash, so it's just trading one unique moveset for another, less popular one.

I just don't see the logic there.

Zero Suit Violet

Smash Journeyman
But like, Ike is already completely unique from everyone else in Smash, so it's just trading one unique moveset for another, less popular one.

I just don't see the logic there.
Well the logic and goal here, is to get Fire Emblem to represent the Triangle Weapons rather than having 8 Swords, which is why Ike who have only a Sword, is replaced by Micaiaha, who have the Tomes (who use only tomes which give a very different feeling that Robin's one), So I decided on trying that out, if Ike is a really missed addition, well he could become like Roy and make his comeback as DLC, it's a risky bet, but I'm willing to try it out, to take some risks instead of sticking with only safe things

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Well the logic and goal here, is to get Fire Emblem to represent the Triangle Weapons rather than having 8 Swords, which is why Ike who have only a Sword, is replaced by Micaiaha, who have the Tomes (who use only tomes which give a very different feeling that Robin's one), So I decided on trying that out, if Ike is a really missed addition, well he could become like Roy and make his comeback as DLC, it's a risky bet, but I'm willing to try it out, to take some risks instead of sticking with only safe things
But then, by that logic, Micaiah would become redundant because of Robin. If you recognize that Micaiah would feel different from Robin despite both using tomes, why can the same not be said of Ike, who is completely different from Marth and other sword wielders (well, minus Ganondorf who stole his up and side smashes, but they were Ike's to begin with)?

Zero Suit Violet

Smash Journeyman
But then, by that logic, Micaiah would become redundant because of Robin. If you recognize that Micaiah would feel different from Robin despite both using tomes, why can the same not be said of Ike, who is completely different from Marth and other sword wielders (well, minus Ganondorf who stole his up and side smashes, but they were Ike's to begin with)?
Well, the thing is, the magic that Robin use is way different from the one Micaiah use, and yes, Ike and Marth use a different kind of swords too it's true, but, people complain a lot about "Too many FE Sword man", so this time I'm taking that down by replacing or reworking all of them so that, apart Marth because he's the Original one, they won't ever use only a sword, giving them more diversity, and if one of them is popular enough to be missed, it's possible to bring them back with dlc like Roy, do you get what I'm getting at with this? First the diversity, then if they want back what they criticised, a dlc is possible

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Well, the thing is, the magic that Robin use is way different from the one Micaiah use, and yes, Ike and Marth use a different kind of swords too it's true, but, people complain a lot about "Too many FE Sword man", so this time I'm taking that down by replacing or reworking all of them so that, apart Marth because he's the Original one, they won't ever use only a sword, giving them more diversity, and if one of them is popular enough to be missed, it's possible to bring them back with dlc like Roy, do you get what I'm getting at with this? First the diversity, then if they want back what they criticised, a dlc is possible
Then wouldn't it be a lot easier to just give Ike a move that uses Urvan if you don't want him to stay a pure swordsman?

Zero Suit Violet

Smash Journeyman
Then wouldn't it be a lot easier to just give Ike a move that uses Urvan if you don't want him to stay a pure swordsman?
It was indeed something I also thought about, but ultimately I decided not too because I already added Hector for the Axes, and well, I prefered going for a new weapon (because really the kind of magic from Radiant Down to Awakening is so different, it can be considered a whole new weapon) instead of giving him a weapon I already repped with a newcomer

Another choice I could have made, would have been to add Ephrain instead of Hector, repping the Spear, rework on Ike to give him Urvan, which rep the Axes, and then remove Lucina to add ... who ? I wouldn't bring another character from Teluis due to the complain they were of having two characters from the same game, and removing Micaiha, who could I add, that add either total Magic, a Bow or Daguers ? I couldn't see anyone to add, so I went with what I did, plus Lucina is one of the character with the most potential out of all the FE reps already in, that's why I choosed her to be reworked on instead of someone else, and Chrom is here because ... I litteraly have no reason to cut him

Orlando BCN

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0933-8407-0408
Picture yourself in Sakurai’s shoes. What would he do to get a unique roster?

Well, certainly not the method you chose. The dude works himself to the brim of death coming up with a roster every game, and a good amount of what you suggested would be underwhelming to the community’s expectations.

I find roster-building threads silly, anyway.

BowserKing

Smash Lord
My thoughts:

I agree that Fawful, Dixie Kong, Shadow, Bomberman, Bandanna Dee and Krystal should be in the next game, plus :ultdoc: as a unique costume. The other characters are interesting, along with the changes. But question, would :ultpichu: be a Pokeball Pokémon, while :ultbowserjr::ultfalco: and :ultike: be assist trophies?

Zero Suit Violet

Smash Journeyman
My thoughts:

I agree that Fawful, Dixie Kong, Shadow, Bomberman, Bandanna Dee and Krystal should be in the next game, plus :ultdoc: as a unique costume. The other characters are interesting, along with the changes. But question, would :ultpichu: be a Pokeball Pokémon, while :ultbowserjr::ultfalco: and :ultike: be assist trophies?
Mmmm that is actually an interesting question ! Cutting them off totally would feel like a waste since they are also important in their series, and were difficult choices to cut, I could see Pichu as a Pokeball, while Bowser Jr and Ike get AT yes, Ike could actually take the Black Knight AT place, and Bowser Jr could have his Final Smash as his AT move, as for Falco, he would make an appearance in Fox Final Smash as a suporting character, I think that would be a good way to represent them while waiting for them to come back to Fighter place (BTW, Ike could be replaced by Black Knight again if he is asked enough for DLC, so that's a good thing to do)
Nice ideas ! Thanks for that, and thank you for the positive Feedback as well ! First one I recieved here I must admit

TheDuke54

Smash Journeyman
Cutting Toon Link and then adding Tetra seems like a strange move, no offense. That's really all I have to say.

Zero Suit Violet

Smash Journeyman
Cutting Toon Link and then adding Tetra seems like a strange move, no offense. That's really all I have to say.
Believe me... It hurted a lot, but in the end, I couldn't keep 3 Links in, it really hurt the diversity of the franchise, so I had to make a choice between Toon and Young, and while I would have totally choose Toon if I did it by bias, Young Link is objectively better because of his masks that give the representation of the 3 main species of the series, so I had to let Toon go...
I did need to rep the Toon Saga though, it's an important part of Zelda, and it's such a unique artstyle, and Tetra is also one of the most récurent character of the series, as well as having a unique moveset to boot, I think she would be a nice replacement even if I would have loved to not cut Toon..

D

Deleted member

>Removing Toon Link then adding Tetra.
>Removing Ike for Micahia
>Making Lucas an Echo Fighter
Not gonna lie, this is kinda lackluster if you ask me. But then again, trying to come up with a roster set after Ultimate is asking for trouble.

Last edited by a moderator:

Crystanium

Smash Hero
I think the protagonist-antagonist concept can drop a lot of unnecessary characters who leech off the fame of the protagonists.

:ultmario::ultbowser:
:ultdk::ultkrool:
:ultlink::ultganondorf:
:ultsamus::ultridley:
:ultpit:(Medusa)
:ultfox::ultwolf:
:ultpokemontrainer::ultmewtwo:
:ultmarth:(Medeus)
:ultfalcon:(Black Shadow)
:ultkirby::ultkingdedede:
:ultinkling:(Octoling)

Not a fighter? Good-bye. No antagonist in the series, that is, villain? See ya! This would be a good roster to begin with.

Last edited:

CodakTheWarrior

Smash Ace
Yeah I’m agreeing with everyone else here, cutting Ike would simply never happen, he’s unarguably the most popular FE character and is unique, I would change this now.

Also, cutting Bowser Jr I also completely disagree with, he’s one of the most popular Mario characters and has a long history, I couldn’t see an outcome where Rosalina stayed and he was cut.

Overall, I think your cuts were very problematic, and I would honestly completely change how you went about cutting characters.

Your newcomers had some cool ideas though! I would add/switch out a few, but you did a far better job with the new characters than the cuts

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I think the protagonist-antagonist concept can drop a lot of unnecessary characters who leech off the fame of the protagonists.

:ultmario::ultbowser:
:ultdk::ultkrool:
:ultlink::ultganondorf:
:ultsamus::ultridley:
:ultpit:(Medusa)
:ultfox::ultwolf:
:ultpokemontrainer::ultmewtwo:
:ultmarth:(Medeus)
:ultfalcon:(Black Shadow)
:ultkirby::ultkingdedede:
:ultinkling:(Octoling)

Not a fighter? Good-bye. No antagonist in the series, that is, villain? See ya! This would be a good roster to begin with.
Luigi, Peach, Zelda, Diddy Kong, Meta Knight, and Falco are not unnecessary, they're just as important/iconic as the villains you listed. Every other character that is a co-protagonist, I would agree with cutting them because they are just too minor compared to the villains and the characters I just listed.

Last edited:

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
You seriously cut Lucas, Roy, Ike, Falco, and Pichu and adddd way less relevant characters and expect people to be on board with that?

People have loved and mained Falco and Roy since Melee. Falco is synonymous with smash at this point. Lucas is extremely popular and the Mother series deserves 2 representives. And no making him an echo isn’t the answer, he’s completely unique from Ness which is great. Ike is one of the most popular FE characters in the series. Pichu is just really ****ing cool.

Last edited:

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Luigi, Peach, Zelda, Diddy Kong, Meta Knight, and Falco are not unnecessary, they're just as important/iconic as the villains you listed. Every other character that is a co-protagonist, I would agree with cutting them because they are just too minor compared to the villains and the characters I just listed.
Important, why? Iconic, how? Because they're leeching off the big names? "Co-protagonist" can be applied to Luigi, Peach, Zelda, Diddy, and Falco. Meta Knight is a villain.

MG_3989 MG_3989
It's perfect.

Last edited:

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
Important, why? Iconic, how? Because they're leeching off the big names? "Co-protagonist" can be applied to Luigi, Peach, Zelda, Diddy, and Falco. Meta Knight is a villain.

MG_3989 MG_3989
It's perfect.
Why would you want less cool characters with unique movrsets? That doesn’t make sense to me. You’re cutting the whole roster

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2

MG_3989 MG_3989
It's perfect.
Luigi has been in the series longer than Bowser and in general is more popular/iconic to the masses than Bowser. Peach I would say is on Bowser's level of popularity/iconicness. Zelda I would say is more iconic than Ganon/Ganondorf to most people and Zelda's name is the freaking title of her series. Diddy was the main protagonist of DKC2 and got his own racing game Diddy Kong Racing. I would definitely say he is more popular/iconic than K. Rool. Falco is more popular/iconic to the masses than Wolf. Meta Knight is kind of below Dedede's level of popularity/iconicness, but is not a 3rd wheel by any means.

Ask anybody in the Mario, Zelda, DK, Kirby, and Star Fox communites and they would all agree with me.

Last edited:

Zero Suit Violet

Smash Journeyman
You seriously cut Lucas, Roy, Ike, Falco, and Pichu and adddd way less relevant characters and expect people to be on board with that?

People have loved and mained Falco and Roy since Melee. Falco is synonymous with smash at this point. Lucas is extremely popular and the Mother series deserves 2 representives. And no making him an echo isn’t the answer, he’s completely unique from Ness which is great. Ike is one of the most popular FE characters in the series. Pichu is just really ****ing cool.
Well, I know that the cut are always the hard part, it's difficult to find who to cut in that roster where every character is liked, and either important because of their games, or important because of Smash, so Yeah, I had to take some very hard choices, and not just go the easy way and annonce "Everyone is Here" again, that would just be lazy, so yes, I did cut people mains, but I added other characters that would also be mained, that would also be liked, and that would bring something new to Smash, I know your opinion on the cuts, but can I know about the newcomer?

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Luigi has been in the series longer than Bowser and in general is more popular/iconic to the masses than Bowser. Peach I would say is on Bowser's level of popularity/iconicness. Zelda I would say is more iconic than Ganon/Ganondorf to most people and Zelda's name is the freaking title of her series. Diddy was the main protagonist of DKC2 and got his own racing game Diddy Kong Racing. I would definitely say he is more popular/iconic than K. Rool. Falco is more popular/iconic to the masses than Wolf. Meta Knight is kind of below Dedede's level of popularity/iconicness, but is not a 3rd wheel by any means.

Ask anybody in the Mario, Zelda, DK, Kirby, and Star Fox communites and they would all agree with me.
I don't know how old you are, but back in the NES days, me and my siblings wanted to play as Mario. My brother liked Luigi, but we all wanted to play as Mario. Bowser is a villain, too, so he'd be staying. Peach, for the longest time, was unplayable. In fact, I'm only aware of a single game where she is the protagonist. That doesn't seem all that important. Just another damsel-in-distress. Zelda's name is in the title of TLoZ, but again, another damsel-in-distress. King K. Rool would be staying, since he's a villain. Wolf is also a villain. As for Meta Knight, well, choose one, I suppose.

Appeal to popularity doesn't matter.

MG_3989 MG_3989
I already think most characters on the current roster aren't cool anyway. Unique abilities is a strange reason for having certain characters, or to maintain current characters. All characters at one point in time were unique. Thus, if characters who were unique before, but aren't any longer, then uniqueness is subjective.

Top Bottom