• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mac's Up-B Combo Breaker. What moves does it work on?

Mini_Mac

Smash Apprentice
NNID
G_Czech
I've been trying to find out exactly what moves Mac's up-B can snatch an opponent if the up-B sequence is being mashed so it will input it right after the hitstun is over and before the next attack in a combo starts. Here are some I know work and some I have seen others perform. Let me know if there are any other moves that should be included here!

An up-B can be inputted...
- Before the final hit of Mario's Dair
- Before the final hit of another Little Mac's infinite jabs
- I think I saw CT Vex perform it during Sheik's Fair combos
- I've seen Sol perform it after the third hit of Marth's side-special

SteadyDisciple

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Rorrim
Some food for thought:
When the Greninja boards were doing work to figure out which moves could be escaped with SSHC, they discovered that mashing was actually less effective than timing an input to be buffered during the gap. No idea if it would work better for Mac, since this isn't canceling hitstun like SSHC does, but it wouldn't surprise me if it does.

Contrast_94

Smash Rookie
Thank you so much for telling me it breaks out of Mario's d-air this is incredibly helpful!

jet56

Smash Journeyman
Since the move is frame 3 and invincible, an easy way to think about is is like this:

can a frame 3 nair break this combo/string/move? if you think yes, then mac can as well.

Also, his nair is frame 2, meaning he actually has the best combo breaker in the game lol.

I might lab some common combos and see if i can find anything else mac can break.

Mini_Mac

Smash Apprentice
NNID
G_Czech
Some food for thought:
When the Greninja boards were doing work to figure out which moves could be escaped with SSHC, they discovered that mashing was actually less effective than timing an input to be buffered during the gap. No idea if it would work better for Mac, since this isn't canceling hitstun like SSHC does, but it wouldn't surprise me if it does.
You're very correct. I agree that some moves require good timing in order to actually be effective without putting Mac in a punishing situation. For example, I discovered that as Mac gains more percent, getting out of Marth's side special begins to rely more on timing rather than simple up-B mashing.

Using up-B to safely get out of moves like C. Falcon's Nairs (which I have recently seen Sol perform on Ryo's C. Falcon) and Sheik's Fairs are completly all about timing according to my observations.

Tonsana

Smash Apprentice
I have found you can Up-B out of Links D-throw -> Utilt.
Ness pkfire you can spam Up-B when he comes close and wants to grab you :p
Mario Uptilts sometimes when mairo has rage I think

Last edited:
Top Bottom