• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mach Rider, Rides Again For Super Smash Bros. Ultimate!

D-Man9293

Smash Ace
Hi so I'm a supporter of Excite Biker in Smash. In light of the recent leaks, I'd like for you guys to convince me why this character is a better fit for Smash than Excite? I know basically nothing of Mach Rider, so convince me and I'll happily join the support group!

zferolie

Smash Hero
@zferoli
I know but when we see her with out her suit she doesn’t have one from the looks of it.

Protection more then to hide her identity, thick bodysuit. Or the suit gives her that ability to reform heself

Or maybe she’s wanted by someone
Well styles can get changed over the years. Pit had a complete redone design from his game to brawl

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
So the Skull Kid thread is full of people saying that the Bike in the Grinch Leak is actually Skull Kid/Majora's Mask, I thought I'd bring that discussion here to see what people with a different perspective thought

Dibble

Smash Cadet
Hi so I'm a supporter of Excite Biker in Smash. In light of the recent leaks, I'd like for you guys to convince me why this character is a better fit for Smash than Excite? I know basically nothing of Mach Rider, so convince me and I'll happily join the support group!
Sure I'll give it a shot. I would be happy with either retro riders but I will say Mach Rider is growing on me a lot.

To begin he/she's actually one of the oldest Nintendo characters. Older than Nintendo video games in general. She/He, along with the Duck Hunt game, started out as toys, with the Mach Rider toy car releasing in 1972. This is more of a fun fact really. Old doesn't necessarily mean gold, but it's just nice to have a legacy character.
Then there's the fact that Mach Rider's got a bit of personality. Mach Rider basically lives in a Mad-Max style world that was caused by aliens who drive cars for some reason, and in his game he's looking for human survivors while taking out any alien who gets in his path. He's kinda like Nintendo's Doomguy in terms of attitude, and it would pretty funny to have a character with a campy kind of gruff alongside the rest of Nintendo's cast.
Also since we're comparing Mach Rider to Excite Biker, I guess Mach Rider's bike is weaponized. That's just kinda cool.
Finally there's the thing about being a retro rep. Mach Rider and Excitebike both come from the same era, however Mach Rider hasn't gotten much love since while Excitebike has gotten sequels, spiritual successors and mario Kart tracks. Mach Rider would make for a more surprising and mysterious character, and it would be great to see the guy/gal get into the spotlight again and I'd love to see how Sakurai would recreate him and his game world.

Excite Biker does have a few advantages over Mach Rider, most notably the bigger popularity, but as I've mentionned before, I think Mach Rider's obscureness kinda makes him a bit more interesting.
Then there's the fact that it would be a lot easier to make Exitebiker stay on his bike the whole time while fighting, due to proportions and less realistic tone. To that I have to say it might be possible for Mach Rider too, it would just be a bit of a challenge to have it look correct. I'm hoping Sakurai can work his magic to have it function perfectly.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Well styles can get changed over the years. Pit had a complete redone design from his game to brawl
Not to mention that Melee by itself had its own new design for Mach.

I wonder if Sakurai will do an amalgam of the arcade design and that lesser-known character flyer I've seen being brought up on the general thread (but with the coat zipped up, obviously).

Can I just say how sold I am on this design for Mach Rider ?

View attachment 172598

So good, also calling her 'Mach' is cute... don't judge me.

Imagine if she's :ultfalcon: with a gun and big smash attacks involving her bike?

Last edited:

Gemini-Gene

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Fairlight92
Switch FC
SW 7459 3215 2216
Mach Rider is low key NES Doomguy.

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
I wouldn’t complain. But after four and now looking at ultimate sexy seems like no no. Unless your Shulk. Double standards? Not double standards? :ohwell:

But whatever

Was just making a theory with the two images of the same person or two different people we have now

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
TBH, I think Mach Rider will probably use either Balloon Fight or Mute City SNES. I really can’t think of what a stage would be.
I guess that is a possibility, but the retro pick always get's a stage from there game. The only exception is R.O.B., and that is likely due to his nature as a toy. Also, the retro stage does not always have to be pure retro art style. Ice Climbers and Pit(Back when he was a retro) got stages based off there games with a more modern coat of paint.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I guess that is a possibility, but the retro pick always get's a stage from there game. The only exception is R.O.B., and that is likely due to his nature as a toy. Also, the retro stage does not always have to be pure retro art style. Ice Climbers and Pit(Back when he was a retro) got stages based off there games with a more modern coat of paint.
Ice Climbers didn’t get a stage in Melee though. TBH I could see Mach Rider also being an exception because I can’t conceive a Mach Rider stage, although I’m sure any idea I’m shown will change my mind.

TerminatorLOL

Smash Journeyman
Ice Climbers didn’t get a stage in Melee though. TBH I could see Mach Rider also being an exception because I can’t conceive a Mach Rider stage, although I’m sure any idea I’m shown will change my mind.
They had Icicle Mountain. That stage that scrolled up and down.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Ice Climbers did get a stage though, Icicle Mountain. It was not a good one, but they still got one. And if we go by the leak in combination with the idea of 108 stages, Mach Rider likely has one. Isaac and the Chorus Kid's are gonna need a stage because they are new full blown franchises. Geno is likely gonna get a stage due to his third party nature, as well as B&K with there third party nature and being a new franchise. That leaves only Mach Rider to fill the last spot.

Edit: :ultgreninja:'d on Icicle Mountain.

Last edited:

kendikong

Smash Journeyman
Doesnt the pecs/abs in that pic clearly indicate a male mach rider?

Last edited:

Calane

Smash Ace
If the leak is real, then seeing Mach Rider in Ultimate is going to be darn cool.

I'm always up for seeing classic Nintendo characters brought back to life. It also helps that I've played and enjoyed Mach Rider's actual game some time ago.

(If only my dude Takamaru could join Mach Rider, but alas...)

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
It’s probably going be a moving stage if anything.

They will probably work in the oil spills and rival riders into the stage like an f zero stage

Last edited:

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Not sure if this would be even remotely likely but....

What if we get an Excitebiker stage and that acts as Mach Riders home stage?

Nauzgo

Smash Journeyman
It’s probably going be a moving stage if anything.

They will probably work in the oil spills and rival riders into the stage like an f zero stage
This. I guess it should either be like Mute City 3DS with some platforms moving and some Quadrunners driving by as enemies or additional platforms. Or it could work similar to Big Blue by scrolling and include the water and oil puddles. It definitely has to be a moving stage.

Gemini-Gene

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Fairlight92
Switch FC
SW 7459 3215 2216

I'd love to see an Excitebike stage in Ultimate, but I think Mach Rider could still have his own stage along with an Excitebike one in the game as long as they function differently. The Excitebike stage could have the track and racers a similar way to the Mario Kart stage, with part of the track you fight on and racers as stage hazards. Mach Rider's could be like an HD remake of a Mach Rider stage. Just add platforms like the 3ds F-Zero stage, oil tanks and the Quad Runners as stage hazards.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I've been reading some interesting things about the world of Mach Rider. I know being true to the original Mach Rider game is probably what Sakurai would focus on.....but I think a reimagined 3D stage would be really cool too. Give it a sort of "Alien invaded and destroyed our world" vibe.

We don't really have a stage with an apocalyptic end of the world vibe to it. (I don't really count the mario stage, it's just a desert :p)

They could have the stage pass through a destroyed city.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Here's my Mach Rider take. Originally she wasn't my most-wanted retro rep - I was and still am massively on the Ayumi Tachibana train, but...

I'm like fifteen pages behind and I'm having a good time reading the Mach Rider discourse and my take is that girls are cool and Kamen Riders are cool and 80s anime biker aesthetics are cool so going with the girl 80s biker based on Kamen Rider would make Ultimate the coolest game ever created
I love Kamen Rider and realizing that she's totally based on it to an extent has me so on board. Love the colorful suit, love the gun and bike mechanics, hope this is real because I support.

One thing that got me thinking which is something g we've all kind of forgotten in the excitement is that a lot of people were pretty sure they'd be bringing back Mute City (Melee) but it wasn't revealed for some reason. Maybe Mach is the reason? I know in Melee the Mach Rider theme was originally for Big Blue, but who knows, maybe there's a tie there somewhere.

Last edited:

Gemini-Gene

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Fairlight92
Switch FC
SW 7459 3215 2216
Here's my Mach Rider take. Originally she wasn't my most-wanted retro rep - I was and still am massively on the Ayumi Tachibana train, but...

I love Kamen Rider and realizing that she's totally based on it to an extent has me so on board. Love the colorful suit, love the gun and bike mechanics, hope this is real because I support.

One thing that got me thinking which is something g we've all kind of forgotten in the excitement is that a lot of people were pretty sure they'd be bringing back Mute City (Melee) but it wasn't revealed for some reason. Maybe Mach is the reason? I know in Melee the Mach Rider theme was originally for Big Blue, but who knows, maybe there's a tie there somewhere.
I really miss Melee Mute City. I'd much prefer having it return over Port Town Aero Dive.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I wouldn’t complain. But after four and now looking at ultimate sexy seems like no no. Unless your Shulk. Double standards? Not double standards? :ohwell:

But whatever

Was just making a theory with the two images of the same person or two different people we have now
Does it honestly really matter? Unlike Samus, it hasn't been established in the general public consciousness that Mach could be a girl. Hell, most people who only know of the game via its console version growing up wouldn't have been aware of it. So ditching the bikini and open collar wouldn't be that big a deal, since there hasn't been anything to censor in Smash regarding Mach to begin with (except the secret identity, of course :p).

As for 4 onwards, I think the issue is more due to CERO ratings guideline changes, seeing as even Dragon Quest VIII can't get away with Jessica's outfits these days even in the Japanese version of the 3DS port. That being said, Samus does have some sort of bathing suit as an alt, at least. Nothing too overt.

I've been reading some interesting things about the world of Mach Rider. I know being true to the original Mach Rider game is probably what Sakurai would focus on.....but I think a reimagined 3D stage would be really cool too. Give it a sort of "Alien invaded and destroyed our world" vibe.

We don't really have a stage with an apocalyptic end of the world vibe to it. (I don't really count the mario stage, it's just a desert :p)

They could have the stage pass through a destroyed city.
The way I see it, the game would slip into the original Mach Rider game when you strike someone with an FS effect. ;)

Didn't Mach Rider have abs in the original game too though? The one that apparently revealed that Mach Rider was a woman.
Given that, I could see Sakurai do some slight anatomy changes ala :ultsheik: to imply it, but we'll see what happens.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I feel like Mach Rider is gonna have some moderation in his/her design. I think if they just purely went with the original design, it would be way to similar too Captain Falcon.

Last edited:

kro_

Smash Apprentice
Excite Biker would be boring compared to Mach Rider (who also has a much cooler name), though an Excite Biker-palette would be great for Mach Rider.

NNID
Majorasmask66
I’ve always definitely wanted Mach Rider, my problem was I never thought he was gonna happen. Now however, things are looking up and im hoping the leak is real.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
They had Icicle Mountain. That stage that scrolled up and down.
Ice Climbers did get a stage though, Icicle Mountain. It was not a good one, but they still got one. And if we go by the leak in combination with the idea of 108 stages, Mach Rider likely has one. Isaac and the Chorus Kid's are gonna need a stage because they are new full blown franchises. Geno is likely gonna get a stage due to his third party nature, as well as B&K with there third party nature and being a new franchise. That leaves only Mach Rider to fill the last spot.

Edit: :ultgreninja:'d on Icicle Mountain.
Ah, thanks. I remembered it existing, but I’d thought it was exclusive to Adventure Mode.

That could work.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
What do you guys think the codecs and Palutenas Guidance for Mach Ruder would be like?

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
Does it honestly really matter? Unlike Samus, it hasn't been established in the general public consciousness that Mach could be a girl. Hell, most people who only know of the game via its console version growing up wouldn't have been aware of it. So ditching the bikini and open collar wouldn't be that big a deal, since there hasn't been anything to censor in Smash regarding Mach to begin with (except the secret identity, of course :p)..
No not really. Other than staying with source material.

I don’t even like the white outfit much myself and would use the bodysuits look in game. Also I would get the bodysuit amiibo. If she gets two alts what get two different amiibos

Last edited:

G-Guy

Smash Ace
NNID
G-Guy1990
So here is a blast from the past:

An old Screwattack video presenting Mach Rider.

The entire "Manly" thing turned into an inside joke for me and my friends, which is the sole reason I feel huge attachment for the character. He made me meme before I even knew what a Meme was.

Top Bottom