• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

M2K says "Olimar is Top tier"

Me14k

Smash Lord
Me14k [6:41 P.M.]: Olimar...what do you think
m2k[6:41 P.M.]: top tier
m2k[6:41 P.M.]: only weakness
m2k[6:41 P.M.]: is being gimped
m2k[6:41 P.M.]: hes the best camper ever along with pit
m2k[6:41 P.M.]: shield grab is unfair
M2k[6:41 P.M.]: strong good priority moves

(Note: I censored m2k's screen name so he doesnt get spammed by more nubs.)

Discuss.

TrueRedemption

Smash Journeyman
Old news =P but if your still talking to him, ask him about the chain grab he mentioned when he first said Olimar was top tier, cause I don't believe any of us here know what he is talking about. Thanks =)

-True

Me14k

Smash Lord
Apologies. I just made the switch from melee to brawl forums. I skimmed the olimar thread and didnt see anything related to M2K.

anyways: Me14k [6:58 P.M.]: how do you do the chaingrab with olimar

oovideogamegodoo [6:58 P.M.]: i dont know, but theres a thread and youtube link about it

TrueRedemption

Smash Journeyman
huh, wonder if he means the Textbook combo? Anyway no problem, i realize i was a little quick shouldn't have just said old news first, its only old cause of what a few of us saw in the General Brawl forum.

Anyway I can't imagine a thread like that both missed the Pikmin and Olimar forum and was missed somewhere else by all of us. Unfortunately the textbook combo has been shown as pretty escapable, far frp, a chain throw and still only questionably useful, waiting for textbook ninjas report about that. Anyway its awesome that your talking with him. If you don't mind ask if he has seen the DSF vs Gimpy videos from the tournament they did a couple weeks ago. Gimpy really exploits Olimars gimp recovery, and I wonder if he still considers olimar top tier after seeing those.

Here is the worst match showing the gimping http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSePZe3KUnk but the entire series shows it. Thanks so much, i'd just sorta feel weird grabbing his aim sn and confronting him about it not ever having met the guy or even conversed on these boards.

-True

TrueRedemption

Smash Journeyman
Oh no it definitely isn't official, but my logic is this.

Certain people are born better at games, it took me 19 years before i accepted this fact, but since doing so I've been able to grow better as a gamer and competitor.

These players have genres and game systems they excel at. Many people are great at games in general, but usually anyone who plays multiple games seriously has one game they are best at, because it works naturally the same way as they think, making them very adept at that game since its almost natural to them.

Such players almost always emerge when enough competition spreads far enough. Ken for instance, marth was not the top of the tier list, but he, among many other smash greats, had an incredible natural ability for this game. I consider M2K one of these, perhaps not entirely the same level as Ken, as M2K was known for his extreme tech ability, but he definitely is in the top .01% of smash players as far as absolutely understanding the game.

So as one of these elites from SSBM, M2K has identified himself as a very strong player of fighting games. I would bet he could pick up a Tekken or Street Fighter and in a week be better than kids who have played for months. Thus I trust his word at understanding and analyzing a fighting game more accurately faster than most of humanity would be able to do. I mean sure he doesn't know what ATs will arise, what direction the meta game will push players, or any of the other factors that will ultimate determine the tier list, but he sees the game at the state its in more completely than an average person would.

I know I must sound like an absolute fanboy with all this, but its what i honestly believe on this topic. If you don't think Walshy and the Ogre twins can **** at Halo 3 as badly as they did at 2 I think your losing your mind. I have the benefit of being good friends with one of the top ranked Age of Empires 2 players in the country, and when Age of Mythology came out he was also naturally very good at it as well. Maybe M2K has no idea, but compared to everyone elses opinion i've seen yet, I'm far more inclined to take his word.

Show me someone whos been playing for months balancing the game, let me see them do things we haven't discovered yet proving they know and played the game intensely, and i'll take their word for it over someone good at SSBM. Till then though, I'll go with the previously accredited guy who clearly knows at least in some way what hes talking about.

-True

TrueRedemption

Smash Journeyman
Question: I'm incredibly wordy, because I like to explain things all the way; Do many/most/all people simply not read what I have to say because I write so much and what I write hasn't been proven to be worth the effort of reading it?

I'd understand, even if I think writing a lot is good and have no problem reading long posts myself, I'm just curious. I would try and learn how to write shorter posts if no one reads what I say most the time. Sorry off topic a little, but thanks for honesty.

-True

Oceanborn

Smash Journeyman
I'd summarize a little since most people like to skim or are too lazy to read, but otherwise it's okay, you make valid points. And thanks for clearing that up by the way, the stuff about M2K.

NC-Echo

Smash Lord
To be honest I was a little disapointed with DSF's Olimar so I will dont think its good evidence as to why Olimar might not be top tier. Olimar is a really good character and if I he had a good recovery he would be unquestionably the best. With his recovery how it is you simply have to be careful and clever.

Colenstien

Smash Ace
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Super_Nostalgic

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, as much as I would like to disagree with M2K about top tier, thats the way it's starting to look. But then again, you have to remember the requirements for tier lists to take effect. As for TrueRedemptions post: Defenitly agree! I'm not saying this because I've had a natural talent for vid. games since birth! (ex: went to a friends house, he's an amazing gamer, but he couldn't beat the last lvl of this PS2 game, I tried it, beat it first try. Ex2: When I first turned on SSBM I unlocked Birdo trophy and Kingdom II stage. Dunno how, but I know that I first turned on SSBM on Sept 16, at around 4:11 of 2003)

TrueRedemption

Smash Journeyman
Fair enough Echo about DSF, as many have said hes all over a SSBM approach to the character, for better or worse. To be fair he does a better job IMO in the non Gimpy matches, but gimpy is also generally seen as the best competition we have good olimers playing against. Not only is MK somewhat of a Oli counter but gimpy has been all over brawl since the start, and has the same sort of high natural ability we talked about with M2K. If nothing else he is able to read a particular situation amazingly well, watching just the 4 game series between DSF and him the First Time in the Winners final not grand final.

(This Paragraph is what i saw in the DSF/Gimpy winners series, in short, but unnecessary to read)
DSF wins the first game, having a little more trouble seemingly each life. Gimpy IMO picked delfino as a counter pick to olimar specifically, as the ground is often broken up and compared to most characters Olimar doesn't have the same recovery options on that stage. Anyway the terrain and Gimpy starting to see DSF's necessity for central positioning led to more recovery for DSF, and Gimpy late got the idea of ledge hogging being specifically important. The third game is then DSFs pick and logically goes FD, big ish flat plenty of positives for olimar there. By this point though Gimpys worked through DSF's weaknesses, and uses each when its presented, fourth game Gimpy having gained total momentum... still not sure why he'd repick FD but maybe they let loser always choose or whatever, back to FD Gimpy is then able to force situations where DSF is at the disadvantage, resulting in the two quick gimps without dying and DSF's forfeit.
So Gimpy is really good at seeing the game as he flat out shows in that series, if he had read about olimars recovery he woulda been trying to abuse it since the first game, instead we can literally watch him as he learns and adapts, which then forces DSF to adapt and he is unable to. I know there will be ways to make that adaptation, and I'm sure DSF is good enough to adapt, simply not mid series like Gimpy. At the same time though, we as the closest thing to olimar experts there is, should see the adaptation needed, and I'm not positive entirely what can be done. I mean I know DSF should fight harder for the central positioning, i wrote about it in the olimar recovery thread, but I guess what else do you see Echo? His fighting style has proven about as effective as yours, so I'm not sure the small style differences such as which of you favors upsmash instead of Fair etc would be the difference here. So i guess I disagree somewhat, I don't feel that DSF played TOO poorly against Gimpy compared to his normal style, and also I think his normal style is probably 85% ish of yours. Granted the games i have to compare are old for both of you, who knows what sick skills you both have developed in the past couple weeks.
(end my detailed supported argument for what i see in the Gimpy vs DSF series)

I guess my point with the series though is what i put in the Video thread, a great example of the struggles Olimar mains are going to have to overcome. DSF seemed to show good positioning prior to the gimpy series, but gimpy was able to take him out of his control zone and push him to make the mistakes he did. If as an Olimar main you let that happen, your going to suddenly find yourself gimped and three stocked, and Gimpy's MK was able to point it out with huge flashing lights. I wondered if once M2K saw that if he would change his opinion any, trusting that he knows the options a little better than me whos still not been lucky enough to control the little captain.

I'm glad Echo thinks that DSF did poorly though, it hints that he has had much more success at overcoming the recovery shortcomings, or has not played anyone who put the kind or pressure on Gimpy did. If you could elaborate on one thing though Echo, I believe I know what you mean about being careful, if you think I don't feel free to explain that too, but what do you mean/see as options for being clever? Even on the boards over a few weeks the thread about it only produced the 3 simple options, none of which are particularly unexpected or clever (PPikmin throw then recover, using UpB's little rise to make small gaps, and aerials then chain if close enough) Thanks in advance, and as always looking forward to any new videos you've got, its been a while and I wanna be awed again =P

-True

P.S. @ Colenstien, Wiseguy, and Super Nostalgic No worries about Oli being top tier, we all know who was here before the masses come, our names are all over these boards =P maybe we should get Egruntz to make another mark of Pikmen joined prior to US release =P

P.P.S. Yigguth that made me laugh out loud, a feat considering how behind on studying/frantically cramming for my microbiology lab midterm practical i am.

Mew2King

King of the Mews
Cinnaminson (southwest NJ 5 min drive from Philly)
LOL wow dude I hardly know about stage counterpicks I'm just going off experience vs Azen and Cactuar and some other people and what I know the characters can do, and he seems extremely good, I had no idea this was going to be posted.

also I've played games my whole life, I play them because I was bored, and I don't have friends (at least not outside the community, and those are rare). I wouldn't call it talent, but rather a developed ability. Anyone can do that.

TrueRedemption

Smash Journeyman
=P Fair enough, and thanks for stopping by.

I was just wondering if you'd seen a good example of him being gimped like the dsf/gimpy match, no character is perfect but i could see how that weak of a recovery could be an issue. Maybe you had thoughts about why it would or wouldn't be an issue.

-True

Rhyme

Smash Lord
Tru: For the record, I do read all of what you (and everyone else) has to say. Most of the time there's just too much that I want to say. I tend to be long-winded myself so I'd rather not cover all of what was said, but that doens't mean I didn't read it.

But I trust Oli's tier prediction. M2K has quite an aquired ability when it comes to video games. He seems like the level of player who knows what to look for in this kind of situation.

.kR0

Smash Journeyman
I just find it funny how people are talking about tiers.

When the game haven't even come out yet in the US

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Wow, Olimar for top tier? That actually surprises me. The Pikmin toss looks somewhat punishable in the sense that the ones that latch on don't do hitstun and can be swatted off and killed. That can be really bad news for Olimar if he doesn't get a grab quickly as far as I can see. So I dunno, camping with Olimar doesn't seem like a huge advantage.

BIG-T

Smash Apprentice
M2k is a *****. m2k is only good because he camps with top tiers and he gets his *** beat by jigglypuff. m2k just a smart kid but he is not good at the game. yall know watsup

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
That's the opposiste actually.

Jason is a cool guy and all, but he isn't extremely intelligent and he lacks comon sense.

But he is good at a videogames.

sesshomaru

Smash Journeyman
lmao. that was the best comeback to a trash talker ever. m2k- get better people watchin ur back.

on topic, just surfin vids can lead to the conclusion hes topt, its the reason im surfin here now actually. theres no doubt a wrong move could lead to an evil punishing from the toss but in ALL aspects hes got his problems it seems. air game doesnt seem great compared to the flyers and hes slow compared to the spacies. hes not flyin to the top but he did surprise with what hes makin work. i predict many of us will be upset by a dedicated olimar player in some time or another.

TrueRedemption

Smash Journeyman
Wow, kinda depressing the senseless hate/support tug of war over M2K taking over this thread. Looks almost like general brawl discussion =/

@ Sesshomaru: Your post confused me a tad, but in hopes of keeping us back on topic and for the sake of discussion please clarify. You say that from current vids its not hard to generally see Olimar as top tier. I personally haven't seen a ton of videos of just brawl in general, its been heavy Olimar biased but I agree most videos Olimar is played he does well in. I guess I'm surprised that he isn't overshadowed by other characters generally doing well when Olimar is not one of the players. What really confuses me though is you contrast each general aspect of his game to other characters highlighting shortcomings across the board, are you suggesting that the general impression of current videos is misleading and Olimar is not top tier?

This is an Olimar discussion board, and so long as everyone isn't just repeating the same thing, people expressing their thoughts on how good or bad Olimar's potential is should be a good interesting discussion. Personally I see tier lists kinda like a map, useful, but if you and your opponent are racing to get somewhere, mode of transportation is a much bigger role than knowing precisely the best way to get there. However, if you have an opinion about P&O supported by some logic or examples, I'd love to actually discuss that.

I think Olimar is great, personal bias aside. I can't help but compare his disjointed hit boxes, long smash range, and incredible grab distance to the advantages marth had in SSBM. The mechanics of using these advantages will be very different than marth, SHFF FAirs with perfect spacing won't work for olimar, but I expect as people get practiced and accustomed to him they will be capable of making fierce use of his engaging range. Another reason I feel Olimar is strong is his great damage. I haven't compared all the numbers yet, perhaps i will soon and make a thread about it, but most of Olimars moves all do great damage, without even considering the SideB latch. Videos show how a latched pikmin followed by a grab or few solid hits is able to accumulate damage, as the opponent is unable or too preoccupied to remove the pikmin immediately. Until true comboing develops in Brawl, this is great damage output that is difficult to overcome. As long as Olimar is capable of comboing as it does develop in Brawl, Latch + his high average damage are going to remain a strong point for Olimar.

Disagree? I miss something? (Yeah, I did on purpose so there can be an actual discussion.) Or think you have reasons/evidence that support these points better than my explanations? Posting stuff like that is more interesting and better for the community, and I'm really interested in everyones opinions and thoughts about Olimar, especially since for some reason this thread has brought less frequent Olimar posters out of the woodwork.

-True

sesshomaru

Smash Journeyman
well let me clarify real quick my thoughts and PERSONAL opinion of olimar. i compared him to the others because a TRUE top tier is a broken character who has strong points where he shouldn't. ex: fox was fast and shouldve cut his strength but no, he had both taking him to the level above just strong or just fast. he was both, its unfair, hes high tier.

now olimar, he seems good from what ive seen. TIP: look past what ur seeing happen in a match sometimes, ive seen countless sonics jump off the edge but i know the potentials there. some people just suck lol. BUT he does not seem high tier to ME. maybe itll just take a skilled person to show me im missing something more but hes not pullin off anything i can see as being a true match controller.

my personal opinion of him btw: i think he looks dumb so ill use him for humility matches with my friends ;P

Super_Nostalgic

Smash Apprentice
True - I agree that Olimar has great damage output. But when you mentioned "true combos" I actually came to thinking that to balance Olimar's great game, his comboing ability is mediocre, or something basic-ish like Ganondorfs.

Nicktendo

Smash Ace
He very well could be, or up in high. Hes a monster

For his weakness in recovery think of Falco in Melee, hes top tier

Marilink

Smash Journeyman
Am I the only one who would be disappointed if Olimar was top tier? Hah. I like playing with mid-tier characters. Top tier chars are just overdone.

I mean, I don't think it'll stop me from maining Olimar if he is declared Top Tier, but I'm not sure I'd like it that much.

Super_Nostalgic

Smash Apprentice
Marilink - No, you are most definitely not the only one. As Rhyme said, many would be sad b/c then people would play him just b/c he's top tier. I personally would love for him to be mid to bottom tier just so even fewer people would play him. But I like being unique. I'm still happy to find that Ganon isn't one of the most played characters despite a high-ish tier. I'm thinking that Olimar will be high-ish tier and his complexity throw off a lot of people.

PikminFTW

Smash Rookie
I'm hoping he's just the middle in the high tier, or the high in the mid or something.
It's sort of funny, really, cause I used to think Olimar was bad/extremely difficult to play because of all the shuffling between Pikmin was "needed"(as I had been led to believe due to Infil's videos) to be any good, and now he's top tier material.

Oceanborn

Smash Journeyman
I'm hoping he's just the middle in the high tier, or the high in the mid or something.
It's sort of funny, really, cause I used to think Olimar was bad/extremely difficult to play because of all the shuffling between Pikmin was "needed"(as I had been led to believe due to Infil's videos) to be any good, and now he's top tier material.
But you do "need" that. You can't just randomly attack with whichever Pikmin even if you are winging it. If you do, you'll be missing out on opportunities where you could have gotten the upper hand at a match.

TrueRedemption

Smash Journeyman
Pikmin and Olimar are an ice berg. Nice too look at, dangerous, and 90% hidden.

Some fans are happy enough on the boat and would prefer not to go swimming, some of us already have snorkel gear and wet suits on.

This "top tier worrying" is the boat possibly crashing into the P&O iceberg and getting all the dry fans wet when they're not wearing a swimsuit and would rather be unique wearing fancy clothes.

Concerns about P&O's recovery making him horrible is global warming. (A mythically exaggerated detail)

-True

Milk

Smash Rookie
I feel to that Olimar has a good chance of making it up there in the high tiers, judging how his moves come out, what a player can execute them and thus bringing possibilities for future players to experiment. Sure, being gimped is a strong loss but I guess he had to be balanced out some where, and it not to say that his recovery is a total loss, but can be also a advantage for edgehoging. I have faith in him, and know some where along the line players will prove and show hes a worthy character to main.

Top Bottom