• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Lylat Teleport Jank and how to deal with it

PGH_Chrispy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Geliaron
I'm sure at least a few of you have noticed this happening, but never known why it happens - occasionally, when attempting to up-b from the ground platform of Lylat (as with an elevator combo) Zelda will inexplicably fly the sideways, potentially SD-ing. After experimenting with it a decent bit, I've figured out why the stage curses us like so, and found solutions to minimize or outright prevent the glitch's occurence.

For your viewing pleasure, here's 2 minutes of video demonstrating teleports get knocked around.

As can be seen in the video, the glitch occurs when you teleport as your side of the stage moves up. My best guess for what's happening is that, for the first few frames of teleportation, as the stage moves up, Zelda doesn't move with the stage. This causes the Up-B to snap to the surface and move along it, much like when teleporting down or hitting a wall.

Thus, the simple solutions seems to be avoiding use of an Up-B on stage while the stage moves up. Of course, should you choose to be risky with it, there are ways to influence the direction you travel to prevent an SD.

The first way is simply holding right/left on the control stick. It would take quick reaction time, but if you see the stage moving up as you buffer Up-B, it could save your stock.

The easier way is to pay attention to the slant. Looking at the video above, it appears that the direction you're facing doesn't really matter in deciding the direction you travel in this example. Rather, the variable is stage slant - the teleporter moves toward higher ground invariably. Thus, you'll always be safe as long as your side of the stage is below the other, and the tips of the wings are almost always safe because of their natural angle. Engines are weird though - but they should only do mildly weird things, not suicidally weird things.

I've died one too many times in tournaments, friendlies, and practice because of this glitch; now that I fully understand it, I'm comfortable picking Lylat as my starter or even counterpick. I hope all of you reading can learn to, at the very least, not fear this stage when you inevitably have to play it.

(As a sidenote, whatever they did to the stage in patches and sm4sh in general makes the ledges really easy to snap to, so much so that it's not even a worry. Happy cruising!)

GreenMonkey

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3411-4102-3196
Even though I've never seen or encountered such a problem, thank you nonetheless for finding a solution and giving tips on how to avoid it! I'll definitely keep your advice in mind whenever going on Lylat with Zelda

Also, is this a problem with other teleport-esque recoveries such as Palutena's or Mewtwo's Up-B's, or just something exclusive to poor Zelda?

Last edited:

PGH_Chrispy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Geliaron
Even though I've never seen or encountered such a problem, thank you nonetheless for finding a solution and giving tips on how to avoid it! I'll definitely keep your advice in mind whenever going on Lylat with Zelda

Also, is this a problem with other teleport-esque recoveries such as Palutena's or Mewtwo's Up-B's, or just something exclusive to poor Zelda?
This applies to any move that would change direction when hitting a surface, so yes, Palutena and Mewtwo would be affected. Really though, these characters have no business teleporting up from the stage anyway, so they don't have to worry as much.

Actually, I think this may affect Sheik too, though I'll have to test that. She at least has an excuse for teleporting on stage.

PGH_Chrispy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Geliaron
Nah it's simpler then that: the glitch happens when you teleport when the stage tilts, regardless of direction
Actually, no; during the second set of teleports in the video, the stage moves down but the teleports still go straight up.

Last edited:

WiserThanYou

Smash Cadet
I hate when this happens. I can't recall it happening with Sheik because her's lacks in range but the same problem happened with Palutena and Mewtwo. I've noticed the same teleport problem happens with the bottom of certain stages. Its like she teleports in the direction of the platform rather then the direction you choose.
No wonder Zelda is usually considered bad. Its a shame because Farore's Wind is a pretty effective move.

Last edited:
Top Bottom