• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Data Lullabies and Pillows: Official Jigglypuff Rest Strategies Thread

Jiggly

Drop the mic, cause these fools sleeping on me
The FBI Surveillance Van outside your house.
NNID
Jiggly101
Jigglypuff Rest Strategies
So Jigglypuff's rest got a big boost this time around in Super Smash Bros. for 3DS and Wii U, but not as amazing as the famous melee rest. The big thing that makes Puff's rest better this game, is that there are combos that go into it. This thread is a place to bring all strategies together so we can make sure to make everyone's puff the best that they can be.

Thanks a lot to @ Glacey Glacey for putting a lot of this together in my absence.

Combos:

Dair-Rest:
How to perform:This rest combo is done by doing a rising Dair while moving backwards, then moving forward for the last couple hits. The movement causes you to be able to grab the opponent, and make them fly forward as well as give you max air speed. This put you in a perfect position to jump and get a rest. CAUTION: This method only works in the 40%-65% range and differs depending on the character you use it on.

Jab --> Rest
The opponent has to be extremely close to you, or else it won't work. Only works on certain characters, so make sure you aren't using it on a character that can't be hit by this combo.You can only do this as a damage racker on most characters, but on some like diddy, mario, villager, and ness it can work in kill percentage ~45-55% Not all is known about the combo, but work at it. This can also be used if you are both on the ledge and they roll spam, it's a good hit confrm and works on all characters.Works on the following characters: http://smashboards.com/threads/combo-jab-to-rest.389561/

Jab --> Shorthop Rest
How to perform: Must be right next to you, and be at higher percents, 85-100%. Use your First jab, then do a running SH and rest.
Usage: On big floaty characters it's really easy to hit, I've found Zelda and rosalina to be the two I've used it on most. You must have them use an unsafe move on shield to reliably get them that close. Make sure to condition them to both jabs, so if you do do it quite correctly, you can land it due to them expecting another jab.
Notes: This can work on all characters, but not a true combo. There is a ~5 frame time where they can escape when they are fast falling character. Jab lets you lift them off the ground, and they don't escape hitstun until they touch the ground. At this precent range above, you can SH and hit them right as they hit the ground/right before they hit the ground.

Falling U-Air --> Full-Hop --> Rest
Video:
How to perform: When your opponent is grounded. SH ff an up air on them. Immediately Full hop, or hop double hop really quickily, to get close enough.
Usage:
Notes:

Pound --> F-Air --> Rest
http://cdn.makeagif.com/media/3-28-2015/2K1Nk8.gif[/spoiler]
How to perform: Hit the ending hitbox of pound, hit the opponent with the sour spot of fair, and continue moving forward until you overlap, and get the rest.
Notes: One of the most useful and reliable rest combos, f-air to rest being a true combo with the right timing.

F-Air --> Rest
How to perform: Sourspot F-Air > Rest (in air) Works better at lower percents. Keep floating forward after the sourspot f-air so that you'll run into them for the rest.
Notes: Usually more of a Damage racking combo, but if you are high enough, or bait and punish an air dodge, you can kill.

U-Tilt --> Rest
How to perform: Uptilt (-->Uptilt) --> SH--> Rest
Notes: Since it only works at low percents, the opponent won't die from it. Although, it is a good damage racker. On heavy characters you can up tilt twice. Only attempt to use under 10%

Uair --> U-Tilt --> Dair (--> Dair) --> Fair --> Rest
How to perform: Fast fall an up air into them, immediately Utilt them. Get a Dair, or two if they're heavy. Now for the dair, you need to move backwards the first half and then forwards the last half. This makes sure it traps them, and you are moving forward at the end. Fair them out of the dair, and follow up with a rest.

Footstool --> Rest
How to perform: If opponent is on the ground, footstool, then buffer a dair and a rest. Dair vacuum box goes off (but the move is canceled), and then rest hits. If opponent is airborne, just footstool then rest.
Bowser - Aerial
Yoshi - Grounded
Wario - Grounded
Donkey Kong - Aerial
Mr. Game and Watch - Aerial
Charizard - Grounded and Aerial
Ness - Aerial
Lucas - Aerial
Olimar - Aerial
Pac-Man - Grounded
Mega Man - Grounded
Sonic - Grounded

Strategies:

Crouch --> Rest
How to perform: Crouch to dodge attack --> Shorthop into opponent --> Rest
Notes: Jigglypuff can crouch under many character's attacks. Depending on the character and the move you might have to jump after the crouch.

Be on edge when opponent is on the ledge -->Roll away --> Rest if opponent does a roll get up.
Notes: Jigg's roll is the same length as a get up roll, so if you can land, and roll back right before the do a get up, you can see if they roll onstage. If they do, free rest!

Airdodge and Roll Punish
Notes:

Shield Drop --> Rest
Notes:

Last edited:

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
Jab to Rest works on DK at best.

While not entirely recommended, it can work out if players don't suspect it.

CHOVI

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CHOVI3
3DS FC
3566-1571-6130
The pound -> sourspot fair -> rest that was added in another thread.

c4ll me co4ch

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4227-4093-1228
Not a combo or anything, but if you're playing against someone who is camping ledges (Yoshi's looking to egg you at high percents, for example?) or can catch enemies rolling into the ledge (happens way too often in FG, maybe less so in competitive?), rolling into the edge -> rest is one I get way more often than I should, and since they're on the ledge, you don't necessarily have to worry about missing hitboxes and more have to just make sure you can time it before they shield or spot dodge

Last edited:

Jiggly

NNID
Jiggly101
Not a combo or anything, but if you're playing against someone who is camping ledges (Yoshi's looking to egg you at high percents, for example?) or can catch enemies rolling into the ledge (happens way too often in FG, maybe less so in competitive?), rolling into the edge -> rest is one I get way more often than I should, and since they're on the ledge, you don't necessarily have to worry about missing hitboxes and more have to just make sure you can time it before they shield or spot dodge
I do this a lot, I was planning on putting that down :)

_LINK3N_

Smash Rookie
I'm having ALOT of trouble landing the DAir to rest... Any help?

CHOVI

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CHOVI3
3DS FC
3566-1571-6130
I'm having ALOT of trouble landing the DAir to rest... Any help?
Just go into training for about an hour and you should start getting it... also go against someone big like Rosalina or ROB

RavensArk

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3480-2573-0129
Just as the title says, when and how do you go with rest? Do you rely on some of the rest combo's jigglypuff has?
Do you use rest as a last resort? Do you use rest for damage or kills? (obvious answer but were not all the same)
I am definitely not the best jigglypuff but I am a force to be reckoned with when playing with Jigglypuff. From my time as playing as jigglypuff I personally have relied on rest in almost every single one of my matches since I have the reading skill to do so. I only go for rest once I've noticed a pattern in my opponents strategy. Such as rolling habits, over committing etc. I also try to note all the lag on any moves the opponents use, whether it be a smash attack or a special, especially dash attacks. I also apply enough pressure and try to take a psychological advantage making rest even easier to land. So enough about me, how and when do you sleep on your opponents?

Jiggly

NNID
Jiggly101
Just as the title says, when and how do you go with rest? Do you rely on some of the rest combo's jigglypuff has?
Do you use rest as a last resort? Do you use rest for damage or kills? (obvious answer but were not all the same)
I am definitely not the best jigglypuff but I am a force to be reckoned with when playing with Jigglypuff. From my time as playing as jigglypuff I personally have relied on rest in almost every single one of my matches since I have the reading skill to do so. I only go for rest once I've noticed a pattern in my opponents strategy. Such as rolling habits, over committing etc. I also try to note all the lag on any moves the opponents use, whether it be a smash attack or a special, especially dash attacks. I also apply enough pressure and try to take a psychological advantage making rest even easier to land. So enough about me, how and when do you sleep on your opponents?
hey look, another rest thread...

I use rest to wreck people's ****. Can it be used any other way?

RavensArk

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3480-2573-0129
hey look, another rest thread...

I use rest to wreck people's ****. Can it be used any other way?
Lol, thats one hilarious response. Also sorry, I just realized that you had a thread on this topic.

SafCar

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0645-5834-8488
what about punishing ZSS/Bowser's Fsmash with Crouch -> Rest?

TSKHAN

Smash Cadet
Hi, new to smash boards.

tbh i never found any use in the dair to rest. It's a bit risky with no real back up plan. Falling u-air works just like brawl's d-air (comboing into rest and tilts) but it also combos into some aerials and is a lot easier to use.

What i've found the most consistent, (Percentages on sheik, idk the exact percentages on other characs)

25%-40%

Either

Falling U-Air-->Full-Hop-->F-Air-->Rest
Favorite combo, very consistent and if something goes wrong you can just turn it into a u-air-->u-tilt-->Juggle combo. You have to land a bit back so you have room to full-hop f-air into the guy but other than that its quite simple. I've had kills from 25% but not sure if my opponents just didnt DI properly. It's a true combo up till around 35 where it becomes harder to true combo but it's quite good still.

or

Shorthop-->Pound-->F-air-->Rest
It's a free kill if you find yourself in the situation where you just hit with the edge of pound, but its not something you go for unless you're really desperate haha.

45%-60%

Shorthop-->Fair-->Rest

This one is a bit tricky, you need your Fair to go out quite late so it doesnt knock them too far, but after that you can just follow for a bit and rest. Pound can be used if you missed it to get a good chunk of dmg in and still be safe. Until 55% it's actually kind of unfairly easy imo. I don't think i've had anyone whos been able to DI out of it yet but for some reason I think it shouldnt be hard for an opponent to DI out of. It's still a solid combo since it can go into so much else though.

Around 55% you can rest, but 80% of the time you're not gonna be able to get them until right after they touch the ground. It is possible though.

The best choices i've found is to combo into another fair and then maybe chase, or pound if you predict a shield. My 3ds shows the double fair as a combo but the pound not as one so i guess if they spot dodge it could be risky for jiggs but idk.

60%-300%

B-air becomes easier than rest at this point. Although i would love to know some high percentage B-air combos.

Resting when they use a multi hit atk is also really good at this point. It's doable at lower % but it might not kill below 50%.

Flippant

Smash Apprentice
If you're on a platform and the opponent does something laggy underneath you, you can shield drop -> rest, or if you want to be flashy you can shield drop -> Footstool -> Rest (only on some chars)

Last edited:

c4ll me co4ch

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4227-4093-1228
Generally speaking, it can be used to either 1) punish 2) abuse dem hard reedz 3) go for the hail mary when you're probably gonna lose anyways (for example, your opponent is at like 70 and you're at 130 on the last stock, might as well go for it)

Optionally, if you're opponent is in a position where even missing a stock will presumably not end in a massive punish/stock but your gains are massive from landing the rest (you're at 2 stocks while your opponent is a 60% female character at 1 stock, for example), the rewards of landing a rest (gg) vastly outweigh the losses from missing a rest (you take the punish or at worst lose a stock) so you can be a little more willy nilly with your rest attempts.

Also sorta depends on if who you're playing against, as someone who has no good punishes can be rested on more liberally than, say, ganon.

CHOVI

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CHOVI3
3DS FC
3566-1571-6130
I use rest when I'm comboing the opponent in the air and they're desperately trying to get out. They usually end up doing something "dumb" like an airdodge or an unsafe attack and I can rest then (sometimes SH -> rest)
Also, when there's a chance to do one of the combos.
Also when I block a ledge attack/dash attack, but that's the easiest form of rest anyway.

Kalierdarke

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kalierdarke
I use rest when my opponent gets predictable or uses something easily punished. Megaman charging up an f-smash? Opponent has a habit of rolling into me?

Of course, sometimes I do combo into rest*points at sig* but hey, just practice. Try to use rest when you're comfortable with it. Just because someone else is good at punishing with rests doesn't mean you will be right away. There's a lot of times I will go 3-4 matches without using rest, and other times where I use it 2-3 times in one match.

Pipmonchan

Smash Cadet
NNID
pipvila
3DS FC
4012-4807-9528
I usually use Rest when opponent is in the air, because of the limited options available to them. Also, a bad airdodge is perfect for the punish and Rest on the air knocks out at lower %.

GeeHaus

Smash Cadet
Long time lurker; new to the posting life.

At extremely low percentages, (I'm talking 0 - maybe 5), Up-Tilt into Rest is a True Combo, on a very large majority, if not all characters. Up-Tilt's range is pretty dreadful, but if you land one very early in a match, you'll have an enormous lead (though it will never kill.)

I don't recommend attempting this if you are at higher percents. Your opponent has ample time to descend and murder you.

Glacey

Smash Rookie
NNID
yecalG
3DS FC
0087-2589-2860
Just started playing jigglypuff and wanted to find some tips on playing her. Unfortunately there aren't any helpful posts in this character discussion yet, this post being the closest. Sadly it's super incomplete and you seem to be too busy to update it right now.

I started to reformat it for you including all of the suggestions people had. This may just be wasted effort, but hopefully you'll be back soon.

Jigglypuff Rest Combos & Strategies

So Jigglypuff's rest got a big boost this time around in Super Smash Bros. for 3DS and Wii U, but not as amazing as the famous melee rest. The big thing that makes Puff's rest better this game, is that there are combos that go into it. This thread is a place to bring all strategies together so we can make sure to make everyone's puff the best that they can be.

Rest kill% on every character 5/12 - probably should have mentioned this was done on fd against bots, isn't accurate but useful for reference
Credit: Smash Highlights

Index:
- Combos
D-Air --> Rest
Video needed! Jab --> Rest
Falling U-Air --> Full-Hop --> F-Air --> Rest
Pound --> F-Air --> Rest
Fair --> Rest
Video needed! UTilt --> Rest
- Strategies
Crouch --> Rest
Video needed! Roll --> Rest by edge (For Glory)
Video needed! Shield Drop --> Rest

Combos:

D-Air --> Rest:
How to perform: Rising d-air while moving backwards > moving forward for the last couple of hits > Move to enemy, jump, rest.
Effect: These movements suck in your opponent, and make them fly forward as well as give you max air speed. This puts you in the perfect position to jump and get a rest.
Notes: This method only works in the 40%-65% range and differs depending on the character you use it on.
Usefulness: :4jigglypuff::4jigglypuff::4jigglypuff:
Credit: Jiggly

Jab --> Rest
How to perform:

Usage:
Notes:
Credit:

Jab --> Jab2 --> Shorthop Rest
How to perform:
Usage:
Notes:
Credit:

How to perform:
Usage:
Notes:
Credit:

Credit: VGBootCamp

Falling U-Air --> Full-Hop --> F-Air --> Rest

How to perform: While falling - :GCU::GCA: Up-Air > :GCU: Fullhop >:GCR::GCA: F-Air >:4jigglypuff:Rest
Usage: Good mixup and followup for u-air.
Usefulness: :4jigglypuff::4jigglypuff::4jigglypuff:
Credit: TKSHAN
Credit: TKSHAN

Pound --> F-Air --> Rest

How to perform::GCR::GCB: Pound > :GCR::GCA: F-Air > :4jigglypuff:Rest
Notes: One of the most useful and reliable rest combos, f-air to rest being a true combo with the right timing
Usefulness: :4jigglypuff::4jigglypuff::4jigglypuff::4jigglypuff::4jigglypuff:
Credit: TSKHAN
Credit: kalierdarke

F-Air --> Rest

How to perform: :GCR::GCA: Sourspot F-Air > :4jigglypuff: Rest (in air)
Notes: Works better at lower percents. Keep floating forward after the sourspot f-air so that you'll run into them for the rest.
Credit: TSKHAN

Credit: Glacey
(Peach is at 12%)

U-Tilt --> Rest

How to perform: :GCU::GCA: Uptilt > :4jigglypuff: Rest
Effect: True combo at very low percents
Notes: Since it only works at low percents, the opponent won't die from it
Usefulness: :4jigglypuff:
Credit: GeeHaus

Strategies:

Crouch --> Rest
How to perform: :GCD:Crouch to dodge attack --> :GCY: :GCR: Shorthop into opponent --> :4jigglypuff: Rest
Notes: Jigglypuff can crouch under many character's attacks. Depending on the character and the move you might have to jump after the crouch.
Credit: SafCar

Credit: My Smash Corner

Roll --> Rest by edge

Notes: Probably won't work outside of For Glory.
Credit:
Airdodge and Roll Punish

Notes:
Credit:
Shield Drop --> Rest

Notes:
Credit:

Last edited:

Dapplegonger

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PetX-tremist
3DS FC
5129-1289-1208
Up-air to Rest isn't a true combo, but it works effectively for any character around their kill percent (e.g. Mario at 50-60%, Dedede at 70-80%, etc).

Also, Jab -> Jab2 -> SH Rest appears to work really well too, more so than just Jab -> Rest.

Last edited:

Glacey

Smash Rookie
NNID
yecalG
3DS FC
0087-2589-2860
Up-air to Rest isn't a true combo, but it works effectively for any character around their kill percent (e.g. Mario at 50-60%, Dedede at 70-80%, etc).

Also, Jab -> Jab2 -> SH Rest appears to work really well too, more so than just Jab -> Rest.
Most of these combos aren't true combos, but they're still very useful to know

Jiggly

NNID
Jiggly101
Sorry guys, I've been really bad about updates recently. I'm out of town currently, and when I get back I will try to get her done. We should get this flushed out and stickied :)

drakeirving

Smash Journeyman
Upair to Rest is actually true on most (all?) characters with some good execution and nice ranges. Low-mid basically, since you need as low KB as possible. Gotta hit low to the ground for maximum time to jump.

It is quite volatile and tight though, so you shouldn't think of it as a guaranteed true, but it's in a better category than other non-true strings.

Last edited:

therestofus

Smash Rookie
soooo :4jigglypuff: has got a buff and that's nice rest can deal 20% - 21% I'm not kidding on the 21% and the flower can do 40% damage well I think it only happens if they are standing still but the knockback has not been changed so that's good.....:facepalm: but still I think est has got some changes all-around but all the combos I know are kinda here...

Dapplegonger

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PetX-tremist
3DS FC
5129-1289-1208
I'm pretty sure it was already
soooo :4jigglypuff: has got a buff and that's nice rest can deal 20% - 21% I'm not kidding on the 21% and the flower can do 40% damage well I think it only happens if they are standing still but the knockback has not been changed so that's good.....:facepalm: but still I think est has got some changes all-around but all the combos I know are kinda here...
The only confirmed change to Jigglypuff so far is that the flower now does 36% instead of 35%, not sure where you are getting the 40% from. Also, Rest still only does 20% damage.

Also, is F-air to Rest a real thing? I haven't been able to pull it off, are there any tricks to it?

Last edited:

Glacey

Smash Rookie
NNID
yecalG
3DS FC
0087-2589-2860
is F-air to Rest a real thing? I haven't been able to pull it off, are there any tricks to it?
It's not a true combo, but it's definitely possible. Generally you want to sourspot the f-air and keep moving forward full speed. I couldn't find a video of one so I made one myself (if you can't read the screen this is at 12%):

Although he didn't rest here this is another great example (on the fox at ~1:05)

Jiggly

NNID
Jiggly101
Sour spot fair to rest IS a true combo at lower percents (can kill sometimes)

Also, rest always does 21% with the first hitbox when fresh. There isn't a freshness bonus in training, so it only does 20% there

Is there a flower buff? Idk

Dapplegonger

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PetX-tremist
3DS FC
5129-1289-1208
According to the patch notes I found on Reddit (which supposedly come from SmashBoards); yes, the only change to Jigglypuff is the flower damage.

Last edited:

Glacey

Smash Rookie
NNID
yecalG
3DS FC
0087-2589-2860
@ Dapplegonger Dapplegonger Weird that they only changed only the flower ( and by one percent too? )

@ Jiggly Jiggly Now that I've been using it more it doesn't seem like you can get out of it

TSKHAN

Smash Cadet
Most of these combos aren't true combos, but they're still very useful to know
It's not a true combo, but it's definitely possible. Generally you want to sourspot the f-air and keep moving forward full speed. I couldn't find a video of one so I made one myself (if you can't read the screen this is at 12%):

Although he didn't rest here this is another great example (on the fox at ~1:05)
Everything i said is in fact a true combo, some are near impossible at kill %, but they are true combos. I'll post some videos soon.

edit: and by near impossible i mean you might have to give them a couple frames, but they stay close to true.

Last edited:

TSKHAN

Smash Cadet

There we go, as stated in the annotation, the u-air fullhop fair rest combo is nearly impossible to true combo. It's doable though as shown at the end of the video. The F-air rest combo is a lot easier on other characters. I just used sheik out of habit. It's amazing vs rosalina, being a kill if you fair her anywhere.

Top Bottom