• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Data Lullabies and Pillows: Official Jigglypuff Rest Strategies Thread

TSKHAN

Smash Cadet
Oh, my post was just moved. Sorry. I was looking for a notification as to where it was but couldn't find it. Delete please.

Jiggly

Drop the mic, cause these fools sleeping on me
The FBI Surveillance Van outside your house.
NNID
Jiggly101
I made a thread last night but it was deleted i guess. I didn't get a notification why so I'm gonna post it again.

If you just skim the bottom of a platform with f-air under the opponent, they slide then fall down instead of getting knocked in the air. This doesn't change for a ridiculous amount of % and it's a safe combo.

Since it's basically sharking it's safe and it's actually really easy to pull off.

Just do the f-air (skimming the bottom of the platform, works if your toes just barely touch the bottom of their legs) then follow through with a rest.

I can't get a video now but i'll get one soon if you want. It's pretty easy to do though.

I don't really understand it yet since i havent played with it too much, what i know is that it works and kills on sheik from 42%-75% consistently. And that was only practicing for like 5 minutes. So it may be possible at other%
this isn't a true combo, you cant hit the rest hitbox when they are like that normally, because by that time they can roll away. This is a well known tactic, and that's probably why it was closed before. I would reccommend that if you get a locked post, not to post it again, as there was a reason it was locked.

TSKHAN

Smash Cadet
this isn't a true combo, you cant hit the rest hitbox when they are like that normally, because by that time they can roll away. This is a well known tactic, and that's probably why it was closed before. I would reccommend that if you get a locked post, not to post it again, as there was a reason it was locked.
Well it was actually just moved, not locked or deleted. It's definitely a true combo. Try it yourself, if you rest fast enough it's a true combo. Unless my combo counter is glitched that is.

MisterDom

Smash Ace
NNID
MisterDom
3DS FC
1091-7673-8661
I just tried it. I did it at 0% and on Dark Pit. If you can knock him off the ledge with a sour spot fair he'll tumble off. You don't even have to move and you can rest. That's a little different though. There MIGHT be time for some characters to jump away at 30-42%. If you jump at 42% on dark pit very quickly it works. Kills off the top at the late 30s. Other than that, it's definately a true combo! Pretty cool!

TSKHAN

Smash Cadet
I practiced at around 36-42%. Your percents are a must jump for me. Sorry for all theses repleys.
My%s were for sheik. they can't jump if you do it fast enough. I havent had to do anything special yet but maybe it's just sheik. Either way i think its cool.

MisterDom

Smash Ace
NNID
MisterDom
3DS FC
1091-7673-8661
Yeah. I think if you practice it with every character you could make a guide. Out of all my rest combos (which admittedly I don't have much) I think this one is by far the best.

Brellow

Smash Cadet
Standing at the corner of the ledge and shielding your opponents get upledge attack is a GUARANTEED rest if you do it correctly. You have to immediately drop your shield and rest after you hear the "thump noise" which is an attack hitting your shield. You have to do it quickly or it won't work.

Example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stodKK2BZ4k

Last edited:

SafCar

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0645-5834-8488
Standing at the corner of the ledge and shielding your opponents get upledge attack is a GUARANTEED rest if you do it correctly. You have to immediately drop your shield and rest after you hear the "thump noise" which is an attack hitting your shield. You have to do it quickly or it won't work.
It's a good option, but I prefer spacing myself away from the ledge for a Fair/Nair/Bair punish when they get up normally. If they just so happen to roll towards me, then it's a free rest.

MisterDom

Smash Ace
NNID
MisterDom
3DS FC
1091-7673-8661
Yeah. Simple, but hard to pull off.

Also one of the best ones because there basically isn't any good rest combos. Especially ones that KO.

MisterDom

Smash Ace
NNID
MisterDom
3DS FC
1091-7673-8661
Jiggly is correct. Getting that sour spot fair can be difficult to do in the moment. I personally think it's easier to swoop in and rest if you're sure they don't air dodge or jump away.

MisterDom

Smash Ace
NNID
MisterDom
3DS FC
1091-7673-8661
Everyone says up tilt is a good option, but it never kills. Up tilt to rest actually kills characters around 32-43%. Of course, it's harder to do at the higher end, but you can still barely get to your opponent before they can escape. 31% usually won't KO, unless used on a lighter character. I did this on Greninja so most other character percents are a little higher.

TSKHAN

Smash Cadet
Everyone says up tilt is a good option, but it never kills. Up tilt to rest actually kills characters around 32-43%. Of course, it's harder to do at the higher end, but you can still barely get to your opponent before they can escape. 31% usually won't KO, unless used on a lighter character. I did this on Greninja so most other character percents are a little higher.
Yeah up-tilt rest is only useful on a platform. Uptilt--uptilt--dair-fair-rest works at 0% but just try getting that off lol.

Jiggly

NNID
Jiggly101
at those percents, it isn't a combo. You have to rely on your opponent to not move at that point. Also, utilt kills most charactsers at 120s, but it is a good kill on lots of characters.

MisterDom

Smash Ace
NNID
MisterDom
3DS FC
1091-7673-8661
At some percents, if you're fast enough you might still be able to rest and KO. It sounds ridiculous, and I couldn't believe it at first, but there is about a 9% span between usually the 30s, 40s, or 50s that actually work. I'm pretty sure it's a combo. I'll try it again to make sure.

Last edited:

Brellow

Smash Cadet
at those percents, it isn't a combo. You have to rely on your opponent to not move at that point. Also, utilt kills most charactsers at 120s, but it is a good kill on lots of characters.
I usually wait until around 130-140 before I expect uptilt to kill.

TSKHAN

Smash Cadet
At some percents, if you're fast enough you might still be able to rest and KO. It sounds ridiculous, and I couldn't believe it at first, but there is about a 9% span between usually the 30s, 40s, or 50s that actually work. I'm pretty sure it's a combo. I'll try it again to make sure.
You'd have to be hacking to reach them fast enough at KO%. There's no point where u-tilt rest combos and KO's on the ground. Even if you hit u-tilt with the front of your body. It's just not possible. After like 20% u-tilt sends people too far to reach before hitstun is over.

MisterDom

Smash Ace
NNID
MisterDom
3DS FC
1091-7673-8661
You guys are right. Tried this on sheik and around the 30s+ you can chase them well and rest to death, but they go out of Hitstun. It did seem to work on Greninja though.

Desu~

Smash Ace
NNID
Mr. G-E
Switch FC
2211-2137-8924

Example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stodKK2BZ4k
Not good enough.

You have to powershield the attack before getting a rest.

Kojii

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Afrooooo
3DS FC
1650-1652-7604
I'll put that, and group it with resting in the middle of jab combos :)
I found out that you can rest out of Marth's Heavy Blade (custom) on the 4th attack angled down (multhit). Might be possible out of the normal Dancing Blade as well, but that needs some testing.

Sp0nge

Smash Cadet
NNID
Tking17
3DS FC
4382-2535-3109
Trying out Jigglypuff quite a bit lately. Just had a question about rest. If both players aren't at kill percent, as a Puff player, would you rest if the opportunity presented itself? I mean you do tons of damage but you also eat a hard punish, so it's like a huge trade.

Jiggly

NNID
Jiggly101
Trying out Jigglypuff quite a bit lately. Just had a question about rest. If both players aren't at kill percent, as a Puff player, would you rest if the opportunity presented itself? I mean you do tons of damage but you also eat a hard punish, so it's like a huge trade.
It depends on the character. On most I just go for it, unless if it's vs a character like DDD, lucas, or marth that could get crazy punishes. Rest does normally about 40% with flower, so nothing really trades with you damage wise.

Gold_TSG

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Slyger_Magreiva
I actually only discovered uair > rest last night while I was getting my skills back with Jiggs. The way I use it, I prefer to use it as an approach/punish against laggy moves, since the hitbox lasts for a while. Depending on opponent weight and rage, it can kill from roughly 25% to around 45-50%, and if you're quick enough, it registers as a true combo. Through testing, the only option I've seen thus far that can counter this if mistimed is an air dodge, since most attacks don't come out quick enough to knock Jiggs away, and a lot risk putting the opponent in a better position to be hit.

Zeepington

Smash Cadet
NNID
Zeeper
  • If the opponent is rolling towards the ledge while already being on one of the ends of the platforms, wait until his roll is almost completion, then rest.
  • When your opponent is down on the ground, get very close to him. If he attacks, jump on him and rest. Make sure your shield is very high, some getup attacks can easily finish off shields.
  • If someone's guarding the ledge, jump and up b. This is more of a sing setup, but do you honestly think sing is for anything other than a rest?

MZG20

Smash Rookie
NNID
MZGamer20
I posted this suggestion in another Puff thread, but a good rest combo could be a simple uair to rest. Starting that combo at 35-40% could result in an easy kill

cFive

Smash Apprentice
We made a video on rest combos!
(We didn't include jab to rest because it felt way too unreliable when we tried it.)
Thanks for the research you guys did and enjoy the vid :)

Last edited:

MZG20

Smash Rookie
NNID
MZGamer20
We made a video on rest combos!
(We didn't include jab to rest because it felt way too unreliable when we tried it.)
Thanks for the research you guys did and enjoy the vid :)

Thanks a lot for making this video! It has helped me to know more about some techniques, as well as learning others, like the footstool one. Now I only have to practise them. Lastly, I'd like to say that sometimes I've gotten to connect strong fair to rest, on very light characters, around 30% or 40%, like the following: https://youtu.be/A55hqwIL--I?t=48m51s (the video belongs to PEPESPAIN, but the combo is mine)

Top Bottom