• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Data Lullabies and Pillows: Official Jigglypuff Rest Strategies Thread

Tamsin

Smash Rookie
Regarding the sour-spot f-air to rest, does this also work when you hit the move slightly late? Like with n-air, you can make it combo into other moves by delaying when you hit with it slightly, as well as sour-spotting it from the back. I am unable to try this right now though, otherwise I'd try it myself.

I've used up throw, to full hop, to rest before. If the opponent air dodges you have a free full hop, to rest, as they fall towards you. You have other options if they don't air dodge, like u-air and n-air.

TSKHAN

Smash Cadet
Regarding the sour-spot f-air to rest, does this also work when you hit the move slightly late? Like with n-air, you can make it combo into other moves by delaying when you hit with it slightly, as well as sour-spotting it from the back. I am unable to try this right now though, otherwise I'd try it myself.

I've used up throw, to full hop, to rest before. If the opponent air dodges you have a free full hop, to rest, as they fall towards you. You have other options if they don't air dodge, like u-air and n-air.
I was messing with that but it's much too hard tbh. At higher % its probably the only way to combo but at that point it's not worth trying.

Flippant

Smash Apprentice
Just wanna say that this past Saturday I was at a tournament and used the 'pound -> sour spot fair -> Rest' like a million times. It clutched out several MMs and won me a a couple tournament matches

Hoejja

Smash Apprentice
About the shield drop to rest,

i was wondering if there was a need to jump after the shield drop ? Since the rest has a hitbox above puff's head (right?), is it possible to rest right after the shield drop ? (if the enemy is close enough)

I would have tested it if i could, i don't know if it's absurd or not :)

Jiggly

Drop the mic, cause these fools sleeping on me
The FBI Surveillance Van outside your house.
NNID
Jiggly101
About the shield drop to rest,

i was wondering if there was a need to jump after the shield drop ? Since the rest has a hitbox above puff's head (right?), is it possible to rest right after the shield drop ? (if the enemy is close enough)

I would have tested it if i could, i don't know if it's absurd or not :)
Aerial is better, as when grounded players are repelled from the area you take up, where aerial you can overlap without you being pushed away. Try running into a player, and then stop. It pushes you back a bit. But, if you jump towards them you can overlap. That's why after sing, or anything punishable, you should always jump. Easier to hit, plus your hit box takes up more space. The whole body is a hurtbox, so you are losing the bottom of the hitbox standing there, when you jump, you still get the area where you sit, plus more area above you. Plus lot of moves on shield leave your opponent to bounce up a bit, so SH to rest is a good habit to have. SH rest has no down falls to be honest, unless it is an obvious dash attack shield, or a move with almost no lag you really wanna risk.

Hoejja

Smash Apprentice
Thanks, altough i was thinking about a Shield Drop to rest ( shielding on a plateform)

Flippant

Smash Apprentice
@ Hoejja Hoejja I was the one who originally posted the idea, that was the scenario I was thinking of. Someone does something laggy to you while you're shielding on a platform, then you can shield drop rest, you wouldn't need to jump again, just position yourself overtop them

Glacey

Smash Rookie
NNID
yecalG
3DS FC
0087-2589-2860
I haven't been too active with editing my post, but now that @ Jiggly Jiggly is back that seems to be fine. Here's some stuff you can add/change to the list:
1) IMO the colors make it harder it read. It's fine if you want to keep the purple and red ( that seems to be what you normally post in ) but you might want to consider adding more colors/changing the colors for legibility.
2) Whoever has the youtube channel that made the dair --> rest video also made a video on footstool --> rest video, so you can add that to the list
3) Same guy who made the dair video had a good comment on how to do the dair --> rest
I'll probably work on making some videos/editing my post when I have time.

Filler Dmon

Smash Cadet
Okay, so I'm in For Glory, and I end up in a set of Jigglypuff Dittos.

And one match, the person I'm fighting tries to rest as he's losing, and wiffs so completely I may as well have been in another stage when he tried it.

So having wiffed it myself earlier in another match, I get so close to this puff I'm basically breeding for an Igglybuff, and Rest.

It. Does. Nothing.

So then he turns around, and I fear the worst... and It ... didn't... do anything at all.

So then I decide: "Screw it, I'll ask on Smashboards and just Forward Smash this puffer".

I did the latter, and now I'm doing the former! Is Jigglypuff immune to Rest?

(Though I did get some interesting tactical data: Aerial Rollout sucks. Get gimped if you're off stage and hit, or get outprioritized by Uair or Nair. Even if that might be basic puff knowledge, it certainly helped me!)

Filler Dmon

Smash Cadet
no, you just got close, but not close enough. next time SH so you overlap.
I actually had to test this in training mode before I believed you. I watched my replay of that match 3 times before I wondered if I could have physically gotten any closer. Apparently the enemy puff was blocked by a freaking electron when I dashed at it. We can't just be touching, but have to outright be clipping into each other. Our eyeballs have to actually be past the other's eye, and our puffs touching to make it work on the ground.

I've been needing to practice Rest Combos anyway, since I saw this video. So maybe my experience is just another reminder that I need to master Rest.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
It was probably a phantom Rest. I know the feeling, those ****ers are annoying. Next time, short hop it, it remedies that problem.

TSKHAN

Smash Cadet
I actually had to test this in training mode before I believed you. I watched my replay of that match 3 times before I wondered if I could have physically gotten any closer. Apparently the enemy puff was blocked by a freaking electron when I dashed at it. We can't just be touching, but have to outright be clipping into each other. Our eyeballs have to actually be past the other's eye, and our puffs touching to make it work on the ground.

I've been needing to practice Rest Combos anyway, since I saw this video. So maybe my experience is just another reminder that I need to master Rest.
What actually probably happened is that in all rests, you have to ACTUALLY OVERLAP with the opponent, this is the reason why resting in the air is easier, because while on the ground you push the opponent away when you walk up, making it pretty much impossible in certain circumstances. The reason it seems different on jiggs is that with other characters you can rest their arms or legs, jiggs is just a ball.

C4RDIN4L

Hachachacha
NNID
zbot09
3DS FC
3454-1311-6010
Switch FC
SW 4949 5867 3952
the hitbox is inside your body. it was much smaller in melee, be grateful based sakurai doesn't hate jiggs THAT much… i mean besides the whole dying when her shield breaks thing… why do you hate us sakurai? anyways, don't use rollout it's bad.

Filler Dmon

Smash Cadet
It was probably a phantom Rest. I know the feeling, those ****ers are annoying. Next time, short hop it, it remedies that problem.
Though I know to short hop it now, I've been testing it a bit more. Straight up: if I walk at a stationary Jigglypuff, my momentum will push her beyond just the bodily contact. We have to physically merge to make a grounded rest work. Like, eyeball to eyeball merge. It wasn't just phantom: I figured out how close you have to be to make the "glancing sparks of near hitbox touch" appear. I didn't even know those sparks did appear when it came to rest!

What actually probably happened is that in all rests, you have to ACTUALLY OVERLAP with the opponent, this is the reason why resting in the air is easier, because while on the ground you push the opponent away when you walk up, making it pretty much impossible in certain circumstances. The reason it seems different on jiggs is that with other characters you can rest their arms or legs, jiggs is just a ball.
My mistake was assuming that, when descriptions of it (I think in former trophies) noted an energy emanating from her body, that at the very least the attack hitbox was more or less what we physically see as her character model. Not her hurtbox, persay, but at least what would be her sprite in other games. Lesson learned.

the hitbox is inside your body. it was much smaller in melee, be grateful based sakurai doesn't hate jiggs THAT much… i mean besides the whole dying when her shield breaks thing… why do you hate us sakurai? anyways, don't use rollout it's bad.
Yeah, I get it now... about 80-90% of her model hits with the attack. I remembered it sucking hard in Brawl, being almost impossible to use when I did try it, to the point where I ignored the existence of Jigglypuff in that game. Though Melee Jigs has some craziness with her rest; if it was bigger then, she'd probably be considered the best character, as opposed to being in just the top 5.

I find the fact that everyone in the game but her seems to have good throws more igredious than the shield thing. Except for against a Marth, I don't think I've had or even seen a shield broken since Smash 4 came out, even while I Pound and Dair to actively pressure people's shields.

And I certainly know never to use Rollout in the Air (it was the enemy Jigglypuff who kept trying it, and kept getting gimped for his efforts), if only because it's TOTES PREDICTABUU, I actually like pulling it out in For Glory. Good way to tell immediately if the enemy being fought is a newb: Watch them hold down the shield, then get surprised when they've been rolled into 3 times and knocked off stage for it. Either dodge it all 3 rolls, attack it with a move that will hit it as it comes, or jump the damn thing. Otherwise you are a newb, and I'm going to hit you with 15 Pounds in a row just because I know I can troll you and still win the match.

No seriously, 13-15 pounds in a row; this has been a thing that happened. It's like the Shoryuken of Jigglypuff.

RavensArk

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3480-2573-0129
Not a lot of puff mains (Including myself) know how controllable jigglypuff's side b 3 custom is. You can shorten it, angle it, make it go farther etc. Because of this we can angle it in such a way to make it combo into rest AND KILL. To make it combo into rest you have to Full hop>Sideb (Angle it upwards) >Jump into rest. I don't know how useful this'll be in the heat of a match or if you even use this custom but even so here's a list of kill percentages for most of the cast. Before that however here's an example.

Shiek-30%
Bowser-42%
Rosalina-25%
Fox-35%
Falco-35%
Captain Falcon-45%
ZSS-33%
Link-40%
Pit/Darkpit-36%
Marth/Lucina-45%
DK-46%
Lucario-38%
Shulk-39%
D3-52%
MetaKnight-32% (Short hop rather then full hop)
DiddyKong-40%
Wario-40%

I'll test this out on more characters later. I'm too busy currently. Also fast fallers like fox seem to be done for regardless of DI, and since this is tested on the 3ds its likely that this'll kill earlier on the WiiU version.

Last edited:

SafCar

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0645-5834-8488
Not a lot of puff mains (Including myself) know how controllable jigglypuff's side b 3 custom is. You can shorten it, angle it, make it go farther etc. Because of this we can angle it in such a way to make it combo into rest AND KILL. To make it combo into rest you have to Full hop>Sideb (Angle it upwards) >Jump into rest. I don't know how useful this'll be in the heat of a match or if you even use this custom but even so here's a list of kill percentages for most of the cast. Before that however her's an example.

Shiek-30%
Bowser-42%
Rosalina-25%
Fox-35%
Falco-35%
Captain Falcon-45%
ZSS-33%
Link-40%
Pit/Darkpit-36%
Marth/Lucina-45%
DK-46%
Lucario-38%
Shulk-39%
D3-52%
MetaKnight-32% (Short hop rather then full hop)
DiddyKong-40%
Wario-40%

I'll test this out on more characters later. I'm too busy currently. Also fast fallers like fox seem to be done for regardless of DI, and since this is tested on the 3ds its likely that this'll kill earlier on the WiiU version.
If we're talking custom sets (especially EVO customs), then maybe try testing Leaping Rest too, see what potential we get from a moving hitbox. This is especially helpful considering we have two x3x2 sets and two x3x1 sets.

Last edited:

drakeirving

Smash Journeyman
Leaping Rest's hitbox is pretty flimsy. I've seen kills with it, but they clearly aren't very consistent just due to DI and whatnot. Pound Blitz to Rest however is a very reliable setup as long as you're in the correct ranges and wean into the hit slightly late -- it can true combo into kills on certain characters and generally everyone will have a range where it trues.

RavensArk

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3480-2573-0129
If we're talking custom sets (especially EVO customs), then maybe try testing Leaping Rest too, see what potential we get from a moving hitbox. This is especially helpful considering we have two x3x2 sets and two x3x1 sets.
Pound blitz into leaping rest is pretty inconsistent. Even then it's pretty useful. Also this can also combo into nair, uair, and possibly dair. Its basically jigglypuffs combo custom.

CloudxStrife

Smash Rookie
Not a lot of puff mains (Including myself) know how controllable jigglypuff's side b 3 custom is. You can shorten it, angle it, make it go farther etc. Because of this we can angle it in such a way to make it combo into rest AND KILL. To make it combo into rest you have to Full hop>Sideb (Angle it upwards) >Jump into rest. I don't know how useful this'll be in the heat of a match or if you even use this custom but even so here's a list of kill percentages for most of the cast. Before that however her's an example.
I think someone brought it up before but the end lag and the fact that it's an even worse option than pound on shield wasn't worth it iirc?

RavensArk

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3480-2573-0129
I think someone brought it up before but the end lag and the fact that it's an even worse option than pound on shield wasn't worth it iirc?
You sacrifice shield damage and damage for combo potential and possible guaranteed stocks. It can help with recovering and since you can angle it backwards whilst the move is going through its long start up animation you can simply do a retreating full hop into a backwards angled side b which compensates for the lag. The end lag is nearly identical to pound. I personally prefer regular pound myself but all pound customs have potential. One is for pressuring, one is for combo's and the last one is a get off me move with gimping capabilities. You can't go wrong with any of them.

RavensArk

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3480-2573-0129
I will practice more with pound blitz, see if anything cool comes out of it.
Make sure to spread anything you find, haha. It's still the beginning of customs anything can happen.

Cecil St.Cyr

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4012-3749-9731
Hey i was wondering if this was a viable rest Combo. I saw it in a video by a youtube called Fekah. Basically around 40% it seems that a short-hopped pound can combo into rest. I tried it in training mode against some stationary cpu's like mario and bowser, and it seems to work if you time it right, but im not sure if it would work well on real players. I couldn't exactly pull it off when i out the cpu to attack but im not sure how reliable thos results are since cpu's have inhumane reactions, etc.

https://youtu.be/juSIrUNOTrA

An example was used at around 50 sec vs a zss. The range in damage seems to work depending on the character it's used on, as it worked around 27% against zss. However later 30s and early 40s seems to be the threshold where it works on the majority of the cast characters as well as reliably kills near the stage floor. Around 50% pound sends opponents too high for this to work.

So any comments or suggestions? Is this something new and viable? Or is this old news

drakeirving

Smash Journeyman
They kind of have to run into your extended lump of a fist, fairly late. Without any decent setup for this to happen, don't expect to get it to work on real players anytime soon.

It can true combo, but the example in the video is not. That ZSS definitely could have avoided it; if you look closely they double-jumped and was probably going for a dair or something.

Cecil St.Cyr

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4012-3749-9731
I see. I tried it once on for glory when my foe was around 40% and it seemed to work, but if i recall it looked like my opponent actually used an aerial first or the beginning animation came out right before i rested them. So maybe i guess it all depends on how other players react?

Jiggly

Drop the mic, cause these fools sleeping on me
The FBI Surveillance Van outside your house.
NNID
Jiggly101
It's a string, not a combo. the pound can put them in a position for you to swoop in and rest, but the hitstun ends before you get close. Its better to pound, sourspot fair, and then rest. That is a true combo, gets more damage, and is more likely to kill.

Psymon

Smash Sweetheart
Jiggly with the know-how! I just put a comment on another thread saying exactly that! Pound > Sour-spotted F-air > Rest. So reliable =P

TheUndeadReturns

Smash Cadet
NNID
House0fFastFood
I don't normally step on grounds that aren't my own, but I wanted some confirmation on this. I don't main Jiggs, so please excuse any ignorance on my part.

U-air's trajectory sends opponents straight upward (not sure if DI is a factor), and it auto-cancels. Taking into account how little knock back it gives at low %'s, I thought it could be possible to string a Rest.

I have a video of it.. The way I did it clearly wouldn't've been true, but the possibilities of it being so seem high. Perhaps by jumping twice quickly and using it at the beginning of the second jump.

http://youtu.be/Z-wZoMtG1Oo

Let me know what you think.. as I said, I don't main Jiggs so criticism of any kind is accepted if I got a couple things wrong.

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
That's not a Phantom Rest.

DK's Donkey Punch has super armor on startup.

You hit him right as he threw it out, so the super armor protected him.

drakeirving

Smash Journeyman
To mention, phantom hits as they were in Melee don't exist anymore. Their behaviour has been replaced with what you probably know as the sparks that fly out when you whiff a move. Glancing blows are easier to get than in Melee and basically don't do anything.

JIGGALOO!!

Smash Rookie
NNID
bubsyinclaws
i only use Rest in one combo. up-b, move close, follow by rest.

MaraTH

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
5043-2317-6903
Here's a video for Falling UAir-UTilt-Rest.
Yoshi's seems to have a pretty low ceiling for rest to have killed at 18% though.

TSKHAN

Smash Cadet
If your opponent is on the side platforms of battlefield (probably any platforms tbh but these are easier) you can do a really easy and safe combo into rest.

Not sure if someone found it yet but I'll explain anyways.

I don't know the details but if you shark f-air through a platform while just skimming it (or barely tapping the enemy with your foot idk which yet) , you can just follow through with a rest.

You'll have done it right if they slide off of the platform rather than getting knocked in the air off.

On Sheik it's easy to combo and kill from 42%-75%. Haven't been able to do it with other %s but tbh i've only found this like 5 minutes ago. Haven't tried it on other characters yet but I can't see it not working on them.

It's pretty safe since it's basically standard sharking (no real hurtboxes go over the platform). A shielddrop upair could be dangerous but if they land it they deserve it to be honest haha.

You have to rest fast and precise, if you wait too long its not a combo though you can still do it if your opponent doesnt react.

Like i said i'm not sure if it's been found already or not, but it seems like a really good option.

I'd show a video but i only have my 3ds now and my new phone can't seem to record it. If you guys want i'll post a video but the quality would be ridiculously bad and it's pretty easy to do so you can see for yourself.

TSKHAN

Smash Cadet
I made a thread last night but it was deleted i guess. I didn't get a notification why so I'm gonna post it again.

If you just skim the bottom of a platform with f-air under the opponent, they slide then fall down instead of getting knocked in the air. This doesn't change for a ridiculous amount of % and it's a safe combo.

Since it's basically sharking it's safe and it's actually really easy to pull off.

Just do the f-air (skimming the bottom of the platform, works if your toes just barely touch the bottom of their legs) then follow through with a rest.

I can't get a video now but i'll get one soon if you want. It's pretty easy to do though.

I don't really understand it yet since i havent played with it too much, what i know is that it works and kills on sheik from 42%-75% consistently. And that was only practicing for like 5 minutes. So it may be possible at other%

Top Bottom