• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Luigi's Worst Matchups?

Sabre

Smash Apprentice
Writing Team
Hi everyone, I'm a newly converted Luigi main, and I was looking for some advice. Up until recently, I've been a solely PM player, and mained Marth/Luigi, but when I started playing melee I decided to main Marth in melee and Luigi in PM in order to keep the games separate. In the past, I've been using Marth to cover most of the fast-faller matchups, while I used Luigi against the floaty characters. I'd prefer to use my Marth as little as possible, barring matchups that are really good for him, like Snake, or matchups that are absolutely awful for Luigi.
So with that in mind, what matchups would you fine folks suggest that I begin practicing for, and which ones do you think are so skewed that I should use Marth for them instead?

Kapapanerp

Smash Apprentice
From my experience Falco and Shiek are really bad for Luigi, mostly because they can keep him pinned with lasers and needles respectively. The Fire Emblem swordsman can be tough as well simply because of thier reach, but once Luigi gets inside he messes them up hard.

Cubelarooso

Smash Lord
Melee characters can be pretty oppressive, especially Marth and Sheik. If you'll be playing Marth in Melee, then you'll already have the matchup down as him anyway. But then again, so will your opponent, probably.
Zelda, Link, Sonic and Squirtle can all destroy a Luigi that doesn't know what to do, while Marth can just do what he always does. They're not actually bad if you can get a lot of practice, though.
Wario vs. Luigi is a really fun, fairly even matchup, but I hear Marth destroys Wario. That'd probably make 'em switch, though. G&W too, to a lesser degree.
Haven't fought many ROB's, but he looks like he has a lot against Luigi, and those with more experience have said it's rough.

Sabre

Smash Apprentice
Writing Team
Thanks for the replies! I've actually quite enjoyed the falco matchup thus far, since his back air is fantastic for gimping falco, and his chain grabs are quite punishing as well. Then again, at a higher level I can see the laser pressure being quite a problem. If Marth proves to be a problem, I can always ditto them, since I play Marth fairly competently.
I generally play Marth against Squirtle, Snake, Wario, G&W, Charizard and ROB. I used to use luigi against sonic, but I've recently started to use things like fireball and nair to slow down his approaches and found it to be quite effective. Is that a good strategy?

kittheshadow

Smash Rookie
Someone help me with the Ivysaur Matchup. I feel like i cant get in when they space with B-airs, Razor leafs and F-airs. the only options i seem to have is wavedash in and shield or i have to wavedash around with platforms

Sabre

Smash Apprentice
Writing Team
Well if they're just spamming razor leafs, then you can return fire with your fireballs, and probably with better mobility and spacing thanks to your wavedash, but it sounds like a better thought out plan than that. Try mixing up fireballs to stuff their aerials and short hop back airs to get over the razor leafs and punish them during the ending lag. That's what I generally try to do.

Top Bottom