• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Luigi's Social Mansion

LordTakeo

Master of Mediocre
If i had guess, you're talking about me rolling into the first upsmash, and my only death in the video (which was honestly me seeing if i could drag him with a cyclone but he read the attempt). I assure you, he's someone who has literally learned the game with me since the demo, he's the only person on earth capable of reads like that on me.

Edit: in fact, im more surprised you'd point out the hits i took instead of the string i managed after being spiked.
Eh, I try to find errors, and things people can improve on, not something that is plain in sight. You do play good, I can't really say something about it except it being good. But then again, I mentioned jab up B, but I think that was because of humourous reasons.^^

FUEGO!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MontyRattata
Eh, I try to find errors, and things people can improve on, not something that is plain in sight. You do play good, I can't really say something about it except it being good. But then again, I mentioned jab up B, but I think that was because of humourous reasons.^^
Haha, sorry to get defensive. The dash dancing in the beginning was me getting re-used to his slide after not really playing him (thought about dropping him for Ryu). But after this and a few other games, i can say the rewarding feeling i can now have after winning with him (with no character johns thrown back in my face...) is making me regret my initial reaction to the nerf. It took my friend's reminding me that i usally went for read-kills like up smash or DJ air dodge read down B off the top to actually try him again, and now he feels better in the regard.

Thank you for welcoming me back, didn't see that before.

MonkeyArms

Smash Ace
NNID
MrCheeseburger7
Fuego why down throw to up tilt when you could up smash or f smash him? Up tilt is a really bad option there.

FUEGO!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MontyRattata
Fuego why down throw to up tilt when you could up smash or f smash him? Up tilt is a really bad option there.
To be completely honest, it was an option to get into DasBoot's head. He gets very discouraged when you string the same move on him, but I'll certainly consider it next time!

EDIT: adding that it might have to do with me having a little bit of Mario muscle memory carrying over into this game because I was playing him just before that match for funsies.

Last edited:

MonkeyArms

Smash Ace
NNID
MrCheeseburger7
So yeah guys Nairo went Doc for a set and won...
I can't wait to watch the vids, but now that I know he has a Doc, I'm more encouraged to help rep Luigi.

FUEGO!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MontyRattata
I can't wait to watch the vids, but now that I know he has a Doc, I'm more encouraged to help rep Luigi.
is doc too mainstream now? I was kinda pumped for you to solo him after seeing those games...

In other news, TFW they nerf your boy but you're just over here ascending to the next power level like:

MonkeyArms

Smash Ace
NNID
MrCheeseburger7
is doc too mainstream now? I was kinda pumped for you to solo him after seeing those games...

In other news, TFW they nerf your boy but you're just over here ascending to the next power level like:
I just wanted to show people Doc wasn't trash. I won't solo any character, but if I had to, it'd probably be Luigi. (Well, if I could master his cyclone at least)

Last edited:

FUEGO!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MontyRattata
I just wanted to show people Doc wasn't trash. I won't solo any character, but if I had to, it'd probably be Luigi. (Well, if I could master his cyclone at least)
Idk y i have a natural talent for mashing that just clicks with me (probably from all the action command inputs from Paper Mario), but next time i see you at an event we need to get together amd see what we can do to get you comsistent with it, because that seems to be the literally only hang up for you in bracket is just the jank of cyclone screwing you over.

MonkeyArms

Smash Ace
NNID
MrCheeseburger7
Idk y i have a natural talent for mashing that just clicks with me (probably from all the action command inputs from Paper Mario), but next time i see you at an event we need to get together amd see what we can do to get you comsistent with it, because that seems to be the literally only hang up for you in bracket is just the jank of cyclone screwing you over.
EW no thanks XD #That'swhatshesaid

I'm talking about Con Con level mashing

D

Deleted member

Glad to see some encouragement!

Though, it was smart on Nairo's part to go with Dr. Mario against ESAM's Pikachu. In my experiences, fighting (Dr.) Mario is tough for Pikachu...

I'm glad to see that ZeRo lost, though. It will give a lot of people some motivation to keep on playing and improving.

Underhill

Smash Ace
NNID
Chase47
Glad to see some encouragement!

Though, it was smart on Nairo's part to go with Dr. Mario against ESAM's Pikachu. In my experiences, fighting (Dr.) Mario is tough for Pikachu...

I'm glad to see that ZeRo lost, though. It will give a lot of people some motivation to keep on playing and improving.
I can't wait to see his Doc on Youtube since Nairo use him. Well, Zero's undefeated record can't last forever. Everyone has a breaking point, but he still did well on that round against Nairo.

Vhaltz

Smash Cadet
Speaking of mashing, is there any way to mash max cyclone distance without mapping a second button to special? 3ds is stupidly restrictive with controls.

LordTakeo

Master of Mediocre
Speaking of mashing, is there any way to mash max cyclone distance without mapping a second button to special? 3ds is stupidly restrictive with controls.
... why didn't I ever though of that. That makes mashing so much easier.
I'll try it out with the Y button, since it doesn't get really used anyways. The first time using an gamecube controler is inferior. Funny.

G. Stache

Smash Journeyman
I mean, it's technically possible in the same way that you can technically win a gun fight with a slingshot. I just would never do it. Mashing becomes a lot easier with the help of another button to press. That being said, if you're using the 3DS, a piece of advice for you: have a spasm and hope for the best

FUEGO!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MontyRattata
I don't really see a way I'm going to do is without using my index finger anyway, so probably not.
I supposed i just have fast thumbs, but i found the index finger technique to be ergonomically more challenging to pull off for myself, at least.

LordTakeo

Master of Mediocre
Not to add to the bandwaggon, but...

I am stopping my weegee. Not because of any nerv, not because he's not the best character in smash. Just because I simply don't feel it with him anymore. I may beat people who challange me, but I just lost my motivation for him, and my playstyle went more and more agressive, and I seem to have a natural talent with spacing.
As far as I love Weegee personally, it's just unfun to play him since a few weeks already.

Wish you lots still much fun and prosperty, but I really have to try different things. Maybe I'll come back.

Space Stranger

space cowboy
NNID
ThePowerBlaster
3DS FC
1160-9748-6431
Not to add to the bandwaggon, but...

I am stopping my weegee. Not because of any nerv, not because he's not the best character in smash. Just because I simply don't feel it with him anymore. I may beat people who challange me, but I just lost my motivation for him, and my playstyle went more and more agressive, and I seem to have a natural talent with spacing.
As far as I love Weegee personally, it's just unfun to play him since a few weeks already.

Wish you lots still much fun and prosperty, but I really have to try different things. Maybe I'll come back.
It's fine, man. I'm glad you were able to explore other characters that suited your playstyle. No one really is obligated to play one character.

LordTakeo

Master of Mediocre
It's fine, man. I'm glad you were able to explore other characters that suited your playstyle. No one really is obligated to play one character.
Still tho, feel a bit bad knowing to have spend so much time on luigi, and him being my favourite character.
And will check in and out from time to time.

Last edited:

FUEGO!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MontyRattata
Still tho, feel a bit bad knowing to have spend so much time on luigi, and him being my favourite character.
And will check in and out from time to time.
Dude, i know exactly how you feel. Just take a break from him, learn some other characters. You'll end up coming back beinf better at weegee because you re-learned a skill through another character. (I.e. My spacing is the best it's ever been since practicing Ryu for fun)

Pressio

Smash Rookie
I talked now to Dabuz, Mr.R, ESAM, Mr.CC and i asked them if luigi is still top ten! the result is : MrCC and Mr.R said yes he is and ESAM and Dabuz said he is not anymore top 10. I dont know but maybe Luigi still fine. :)

G. Stache

Smash Journeyman
I talked now to Dabuz, Mr.R, ESAM, Mr.CC and i asked them if luigi is still top ten! the result is : MrCC and Mr.R said yes he is and ESAM and Dabuz said he is not anymore top 10. I dont know but maybe Luigi still fine. :)
Here's the problem: some of the top players are very biased or extremely bad at analyzing. Esam falls under biased (he thinks pika is #3) and, no offense to Mr. CC, but I'd imagine he's biased for Luigi (though, in Dabuzz's case, I can trust a level headed response most of the time.) I honestly don't go off a top player's words anymore. Personally, Luigi isn't top 10 to me anymore (though he's definitely top 15). Does that mean that I'm not gonna be him anymore? To hell I'm not. This is still, by far, the best Luigi iteration we've had. To stop using Luigi would be stupid. I already put work into him, why stop now? But, back to the point of your post. It's great that some people still see Luigi as a threat (not great for us, but whatever :p). But with so many characters getting noticed and buffed, where's his spot for top 10?

RIP|Merrick

Absolute Trash
NNID
Merricktherox
3DS FC
4339-2630-2726
After the nerf our state now only sees three Luigis that play him in tournament. Feels good being unique again. :p

Anyone here have any issues with the Captain Falcon matchup? Now maybe it's just me, but I have been finding this match to be more and more problematic. I literally cannot keep up with Falcon's running speed, not to mention how hazardous being offstage is. All of my laggy tornado and green missile options are a no-go, unless I'm that far away, or I will get stomped. Any suggestions? I'll try to get more footage of me in tournament in this matchup, but we don't have that many particularly strong Captains here, so it would likely be from an Anthers match.

G. Stache

Smash Journeyman
After the nerf our state now only sees three Luigis that play him in tournament. Feels good being unique again. :p

Anyone here have any issues with the Captain Falcon matchup? Now maybe it's just me, but I have been finding this match to be more and more problematic. I literally cannot keep up with Falcon's running speed, not to mention how hazardous being offstage is. All of my laggy tornado and green missile options are a no-go, unless I'm that far away, or I will get stomped. Any suggestions? I'll try to get more footage of me in tournament in this matchup, but we don't have that many particularly strong Captains here, so it would likely be from an Anthers match.
Definitely recover low against falcon, as his recovery is pretty trash. On stage, force him to approach with Fireballs and try to keep a level head and make clear cut choices. Falcons greatest weakness is his awful disadvantage state. He gets comboed so easily and doesn't really have a 'gtfo me' attack like Luigi's Nair. Cyclone 50/50 is decent against him and our early U throw combos do plenty of work to him. Down b gimps and Dair spikes also do him in rather nicely offstage. I might be an outlier, but with Luigi able to exploit Cap's weaknesses more than he can exploit ours, I find this MU to be in Luigi's favor if we play to cheese. Kind of like how we play ganon, but with more respect.

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
Luigi vs Falcon is pretty even, I don't want to post about ut for the 50th time thogugh haha. Best advice is that if Falcon is offstage he's dead, and I don't think Falcon is one of the better gimpers in the game [cept for dair spike but even Luigi's dair spike is better.]

Most Falcons seem to know that Luigi's nair double trades with falcon's full jab for 2 nairs and a d throw on Falcon...

hey_there

Smash Journeyman

It sounds like you're recovering mid-level when you should be recovering very low, like G. Stache G. Stache said. When edge guarding Falcon, there's two things to keep in mind: 1. Is he recovering low? 2. Is he recovering mid or high? If he's recovering low, that should be a cyclone gimp, which catches Falcon dive. If he recovers mid/high, be cautious that he might raptor boost as a mix up and you'll be the one getting spiked instead.

He controls the stage with running speed, you control the stage with fireballs. Don't spam them mindlessly of course, but do abuse as much as you can to slow him down. SH dair beats all of Falcon's grounded attacks, but watch out for his bair, which is fast and very strong.

Uploading a match would be helpful, too. Anyway, hope this helps.

Underhill

Smash Ace
NNID
Chase47
I think that Luigi is still high tier, but below top ten since his down throw got nerfed. I won't take their word for it just because they're top level player. Luigi is still a threat, but we need more top level Luigi besides Mr.CC go to big tournaments, stay as him alone unless a backup character is really needed, and win with Luigi. I know his hard Mus aren't easy, but there is no easy way and putting Luigi to the top would be great.

You're not the only one. While I need to face more good Falcons and do the mu more as Luigi instead of switching to Mario or Rosalina against him, I seem to have almost the same problems that you got against Falcon, but edgeguarding. His running speed is always a problem for me and I keep getting boxed out by his jabs.

YerroBryBry

Smash Cadet
NNID
YerroBryBryy
To be honest, although the patch in September had taken away luigis kill confirms, the side effects of this is that I have a better grasp on basic concepts such as neutral, and sustaining advantages. That being said, I would definitely love for the down throw to cyclone to be a true combo again, but I need to thank this nerf at the same time, without it I'd pretty much have a simple "get a down throw" mindset in my gameplay.

(I know this is like to months late but I just wanted to point this out, as its really helped me grow out into a better smasher!)

:^D

Underhill

Smash Ace
NNID
Chase47
To be honest, although the patch in September had taken away luigis kill confirms, the side effects of this is that I have a better grasp on basic concepts such as neutral, and sustaining advantages. That being said, I would definitely love for the down throw to cyclone to be a true combo again, but I need to thank this nerf at the same time, without it I'd pretty much have a simple "get a down throw" mindset in my gameplay.

(I know this is like to months late but I just wanted to point this out, as its really helped me grow out into a better smasher!)

:^D
Good to hear.

Also, I might do a Luigi discord group if you guys are interested in joining.

Last edited:

TriTails

Smash Lord
I personally dislike discord/skype groups, simply because it makes the socials even more dead than they already are.
Also, hey. How it's going?
Rosalina board has a discord group.

Doesn't stop them from advancing pages like Sonic.

And we're fine. How are you doing? I assume you've mained Roy? How is he for you?

LordTakeo

Master of Mediocre
Rosalina board has a discord group.

Doesn't stop them from advancing pages like Sonic.

And we're fine. How are you doing? I assume you've mained Roy? How is he for you?
Oh, pretty fine to be honest. Love the mix ups, and the random shieldbreaks I get sometimes.
... just miss my projectiles. <3

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
Your favorite mod just won Survivor on here! Free premium for a month...err dunno what to do with it. I'm thinking of some sort of giveaway maybe involving this boards Luigi players and the Survivor players in a giant tourney, but just *temporary* thoughts, nothing is certain! Unless premium has some sort of advantage over being a mod, not that I know of.

Update**:
Tl;DR, I'm thinking of hosting a tourney involving all of the participants here and my Luigi board for my premium. Winner will verse me for premium. And I'm not super good [or bad] so if you reach the final boss [me] and beat me, you win! I probably will go through with this after exams are done Friday ish, My only question now is if I should allow premium members to participate or not...

You wanted an army KingofKoopas? I'm gonna try summoning my army of Luigis now from my boards! So yeah, survivor members + Luigi boards tourney for premium, tba.

Last edited:
Top Bottom