• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Luigi's Social Mansion

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
Honestly... No. We can combo fastfallers pretty good with it, just our killmoves are now less. I wouldn't say we are gone, we probably aren't even leaving top tier...
Simply adapt, diddy is still there, despite nerved twice! And our nerf isn't even too bad, our tools are still there.
Ehhhhh losing our best kill confirm might move us o the top of the high at worst, since no one else was touched. People STILL underestimate jab to up b, Luigi's 2nd, (now first) best kill set up. I know, I rave about it a lot, but I've landed it against the best players in BC (asides from well, THE best Big D whose reaction time is too fast). But it has given me so many wins so far.

Dair spike was nice, it was already strong. Problem is, it can't really be set up now from d throw. But I think dair spike was our big + from the patch, this should be our next tool to focus on.

Underhill

Smash Ace
NNID
Chase47
Ehhhhh losing our best kill confirm might move us o the top of the high at worst, since no one else was touched. People STILL underestimate jab to up b, Luigi's 2nd, (now first) best kill set up. I know, I rave about it a lot, but I've landed it against the best players in BC (asides from well, THE best Big D whose reaction time is too fast). But it has given me so many wins so far.

Dair spike was nice, it was already strong. Problem is, it can't really be set up now from d throw. But I think dair spike was our big + from the patch, this should be our next tool to focus on.
I guess that the combos, down smash buff, and down-airs are worth it;. But to me, losing those kill options was unnecessary and I can't say that I'm too happy about it. Congratulation for those kills if they're working for you. I may look for you on some tournament videos.

Yonder

NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
I guess that the combos, down smash buff, and down-airs are worth it;. But to me, losing those kill options was unnecessary and I can't say that I'm too happy about it. Congratulation for those kills if they're working for you. I may look for you on some tournament videos.
I'm not good enough to get videos haha. I've come in top 8 a few times though. Point is I've landed jab to up B on Firefly, a top 32 player in the last major tourney (and won the game) and captain L (2nd best player in BC) to win the game. I'm just saying it deserves more limelight now that d throw to cyclone is gone. I'm not saying this patch was good for Luigi ( unless shieldstun increase does wonders) but at least now we have a guaranteed d throw to up b at 0 on Sheik. So a free 31% if you somehow grab her right away...

Underhill

Smash Ace
NNID
Chase47
I'm not good enough to get videos haha. I've come in top 8 a few times though. Point is I've landed jab to up B on Firefly, a top 32 player in the last major tourney (and won the game) and captain L (2nd best player in BC) to win the game. I'm just saying it deserves more limelight now that d throw to cyclone is gone. I'm not saying this patch was good for Luigi ( unless shieldstun increase does wonders) but at least now we have a guaranteed d throw to up b at 0 on Sheik. So a free 31% if you somehow grab her right away...
Sounds risky for me to do down-throw to up-b, but I might try it if I can. That's ok if you don't have any videos on you fighting in tournaments.
Normally, I only use the jab to up-b set up since its a one time deal for me. At least his jabs didn't get touched, though.

Pyr

Smash Lord
A lot of his new low % D-Throw combos seem to lead to a lot of setups and 50/50s. It's going to be fun to experiment.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
So it seems we're going to have to take the Mario route and start fishing for up smashes.

Yonder

NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
Sounds risky for me to do down-throw to up-b, but I might try it if I can. That's ok if you don't have any videos on you fighting in tournaments.
Normally, I only use the jab to up-b set up since its a one time deal for me. At least his jabs didn't get touched, though.
No no I'm not suggesting d throw to up b, I said jab to up b is the good one. Much easier to land.

So it seems we're going to have to take the Mario route and start fishing for up smashes.
Yeah, pretty much. I find myself struggling at the 100% range now trying to find a kill.

Underhill

Smash Ace
NNID
Chase47
Ok, where are my manners? I forgot to tell you Luigi players this; I finished a stage discussion for Luigi so come on down if you want to give out data for our favorite fighter. Here's the link http://smashboards.com/threads/luigi-stage-discussion-currently-discussing-battlefield.419018/

Damn, that sucks. The hell was Sakurai thinking?
I been thinking about that, too. Making Luigi looking more like Mario or back to his Brawl self.

No no I'm not suggesting d throw to up b, I said jab to up b is the good one. Much easier to land.
Ummm... yeah, I'm not going for that combo. But the jab to up-b is good to use, sometimes for me at least. I just to get the spacing right.

Last edited:

L∈O

Smash Journeyman
Reposting here what I wrote on the other thread:

Hello my fellow Luigi mains...

I wasn't aware that they would launch a patch today...

After waking up, I came here and got really scared after reading that Luigi was nerfed. I turned on the game so I could test him, and I must say, I'm completely devastated...

Although this opens some new possible follow-ups, they're really far away from compensating the general nerf. For me, Luigi has lost mostly of what made him a good character. Now matchups like Sheik and Rosalina are nothing but unduable, specially at high level...

My first tourney which I was a TO was just 4 days ago, and I was really excited in doing things different, and maybe even travelling out-of-state if everything went fine...

But today was a fatal strike, a severe wound. I fell like Sakurai stabbed me on my back, like life punched me right on my chin. This patch took away my happiness of playing the game. Before it, I had hopes of doing stuff better, meeting other nice people and having really good times, but now all these hopes are gone...

So, I'm retiring from competitive Smash 4 after today. One of the few things I have pleasure at doing now it's gone. This is painful for me, but unfortunately I can't focus on it anymore...

:'(

MonkeyArms

Smash Ace
NNID
MrCheeseburger7
Hey guys, I have a cheesy little joke for you.
Down throw cyclone is now best used at low percents on fast fallers.
How anti-climatic.

Yonder

NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
Hey guys, I have a cheesy little joke for you.
Down throw cyclone is now best used at low percents on fast fallers.
How anti-climatic.
Hahaha! haaaaahahaha!

Haha...

O-Oh...

On another note, if customs ever come back [WHICH THEY SHOULD] mach cyclone is actually worth it over normal cyclone now. I think it kills like Doc's now. It was either clothesline tornado [one of the worst customs ever] or mach that got buffed. Fiery jump punch has a bigger hitbox now too to like, 7.0, but surprise surprise it still sucks.

So yeah, take mach over normal cyclone if you ever play customs, folks.

Pyr

Smash Lord
Mach + One of the custom missles = recover anywhere, anytime. Seriously. That thing goes super high.

Yonder

NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
Mach + One of the custom missles = recover anywhere, anytime. Seriously. That thing goes super high.
Yeah I wish that customs could be brought back, they were dismissed too quickly. Way too quickly. At least the cyclone nerf lets us pay attention to mach cyclone a bit more. I've always loved that cyclone but never had an excuse to use it...until now.

And I'm too much of a noob for rising cyclone on a 3DS.

FUEGO!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MontyRattata
Damn, that sucks. The hell was Sakurai thinking?
From the numbers, it looks like he was trying to get the brothers back to being similar in playstyle:

Mario downthrow Base knock back: 40
Luigi downthrow base knock back: 55
Mario downthrow knock back growth: 90
Luigi's " ":83

So it was an intentional design to make them feel similar to each other again.

LordTakeo

Master of Mediocre

After waking up, I came here and got really scared after reading that Luigi was nerfed. I turned on the game so I could test him, and I must say, I'm completely devastated...

Although this opens some new possible follow-ups, they're really far away from compensating the general nerf. For me, Luigi has lost mostly of what made him a good character. Now matchups like Sheik and Rosalina are nothing but unduable, specially at high level...

My first tourney which I was a TO was just 4 days ago, and I was really excited in doing things different, and maybe even travelling out-of-state if everything went fine...

But today was a fatal strike, a severe wound. I fell like Sakurai stabbed me on my back, like life punched me right on my chin. This patch took away my happiness of playing the game. Before it, I had hopes of doing stuff better, meeting other nice people and having really good times, but now all these hopes are gone...

So, I'm retiring from competitive Smash 4 after today. One of the few things I have pleasure at doing now it's gone. This is painful for me, but unfortunately I can't focus on it anymore...

Don't want to spit into your soup, but... if that's something that holds you back from compeditive Smash, then you wouldn't have been cut for it anyways. No offense.

I play through the entire cast of Smash to see how they all play, and to understand them better, being able to change easily between character if something like -this- happens.
BUT, also because I can see similarities from other characters who have similar throws, but not the follow ups like we do, being able to experiment and adapt. Or even counter certain things, because I would know what combos character would have. Forseeing some of their plays.

By all means, it's still a nerv, don't get me wrong. But stop playing Luigi, especially after Shieldstun got added... Nobody can really say who's now really good at this point. I saw ridicioulus thinks like shulk breaking shields with just buster f-smash. Just look how the meta evolvs, or play around youself and form it. If you say Luigi isn't good enough, but you want to win at tourneys, pick a different character that feels good for you. If you are true to your character loyality, then don't, and evolve the meta for said character. But never, ever quit. That's just an easy excuse.

Last edited:

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
From the numbers, it looks like he was trying to get the brothers back to being similar in playstyle:

Mario downthrow Base knock back: 40
Luigi downthrow base knock back: 55
Mario downthrow knock back growth: 90
Luigi's " ":83

So it was an intentional design to make them feel similar to each other again.
Makes sense. Sakurai does seem to have an infatuation with clones.

ThunderSt0rm

Smash Champion
Yes you can. It just stops being a combo at higher percents now, probably capping off around 70ish depending on the character.

If you do this, you'll be grouped in with the luigi bandwagoners whether you care or not. Do you like smash because you play/played a good character? Or do you like it because you get to play a character you're fond of regardless of how good they are?

Take some time to understand Takeo's advice. Think about what you really care about in smash 4 as well as your willingness to put the work in to get around the nerfs luigi received.

Last edited:

MonkeyArms

Smash Ace
NNID
MrCheeseburger7
Yes you can. It just stops being a combo at higher percents now, probably capping off around 70ish depending on the character.
Kinda wish I could reliably hit the weak hit out of down throw at low percents to get dair to nair.

L∈O

Smash Journeyman
If you do this, you'll be grouped in with the luigi bandwagoners whether you care or not. Do you like smash because you play/played a good character? Or do you like it because you get to play a character you're fond of regardless of how good they are?

Take some time to understand Takeo's advice. Think about what you really care about in smash 4 as well as your willingness to put the work in to get around the nerfs luigi received.
Let's split this off by parts...

To start off, you and anyone can label me with whatever you people want, but I just don't get anymore fun from playing it. I was starting to put hard work on Luigi and going after secondaries before, but now, seeing all those bad changes and realizing that no other char suits me, I can't even watch the game without wanting to rip off my eyeballs, or getting my head about to explode from all the anguish, anger and agony's mixup on it, just for remembering how the game was once...

And second of all, you, me and anyone can put all the hard work we all can, but that won't take any of us anywhere. After reaching the apex, the worst sensation isn't even failing at reaching it again, but not being able to dream at reaching it again. We've all seen Luigi players making to the top, but I make a statement with all my certainty that this will not happen again, ever. Was awesome while it lasted, but it's over now...

I need to at least try to get away from all this before it drives me crazy and I end up doing something I don't want to. Best luck for all of you, seriously, but I can't do this anymore. Thanks...

Last edited:

MonkeyArms

Smash Ace
NNID
MrCheeseburger7

To start off, you and anyone can label me with whatever you people want, but I just don't get anymore fun from playing it. I was starting to put hard work on Luigi and going after secondaries before, but now, seeing all those bad changes and realizing that no other char suits me, I can't even watch the game without wanting to rip off my eyeballs, or getting my head about to explode from all the anguish, anger and agony's mixup on it, just for remembering how the game was once...

And second of all, you, me and anyone can put all the hard work we all can, but that won't take any of us anywhere. After reaching the apex, the worst sensation isn't even failing at reaching it again, but not being able to dream at reaching it again. We've all seen Luigi players making to the top, but I make a statement with all my certainty that this will not happen again, ever. Was awesome while it lasted, but it's over now...

I need to at least try to get away from all this before it drives me crazy and I end up doing something I don't want to. Best luck for all of you, seriously, but I can't do this anymore. Thanks...
I have a solution: Make a mii that suits you.
:luigi:
Weak hit being the non-spike hitbox?
Yes. From what I tested pre-patch it was a legit combo.

Last edited:

FUEGO!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MontyRattata
Yo, you need someone to talk to? you sound seriously depressed.

anywho, I think Jumping ship to Lucas might be nice for me now. Having a Down Throw that reliably combos into aerials is a really nice thing to have. That and his aerials being safe on shield now makes him actually viable.

MonkeyArms

Smash Ace
NNID
MrCheeseburger7
Nairo and Anti basically just gave ZeRo the big house 5 for free. Anti fishing for smashes on ZERO and Nairo giving a free set to ZERO. Where is the logic? :facepalm:

Yonder

NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
Nairo and Anti basically just gave ZeRo the big house 5 for free. Anti fishing for smashes on ZERO and Nairo giving a free set to ZERO. Where is the logic? :facepalm:
*shrug* stage nerves for thinking they had it in the bag against Zero due ot their advantages at the time? [considering Zero lost once and he had to get 5 wins to win GF]

RIP|Merrick

Absolute Trash
NNID
Merricktherox
3DS FC
4339-2630-2726
Just got back from a incredibly long weekend of Smash 4 at The Big House 5 (1.1.0), immediately saw on Facebook like minutes after people saying stuff like "good riddance" after Abadongo lost to Anti's Luigi, lol.

Anyway, any neat developments from the newest patch I can lab out? I've been itching to play the newest patch but obviously haven't really had the time to hit up 1.1.1 Luigi too much.

Trunks159

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Trunks159
Not the impression I got. Mario vs Zero's Shiek had a huge problem with killing.
Nairo got rekt by Zero in the 1st game, so he used the set to try to get used to zero. He missed a few opportunities in that last game but who's to say Zero didn't.

Last edited:

Enjeru Karasu

Smash Rookie
NNID
Nothost
3DS FC
1993-9726-9368
Leo said:

I understand how you feel. I stopped maining Luigi awhile back once I experimented with all the characters and found my current main, although Luigi has remained one of my secondaries, and the character I prefer to use in doubles. Every player has to worry about their character being nerfed in smash 4 whenever a patch comes out, especially if your character is higher up in the tiers. Luigi was going to be nerfed sooner or later, but I honestly expected him to be hit after he likes of Shiek and ZSS. Sakurai instead focused the majority of the patch modifying customs, which wee banned in major tournaments. And I'm pretty sure Sakurai know this too, which means this patch was meant for casual players and not competitive players. But I digress.

However, just giving up because of that hit is not the kind of mentality that is going to get you far. When Diddy got hit, Zero wasn't like "well, I had a good run, but it's time for me to retire." Granted, there are a lot of people who wish Zero had done that, but that's beside the point. The best players out there aren't ones that give up easily: they do all they can to experiment with their characters and the game mechanics in order to constantly improve their game.

The point being, if you're going to let this make you quit smash forever because of this, then you're looking at it the wrong way. I mean, I want to make it big too eventually. And there are points where I get really frustrated at the game and at my own performance. But I keep on going despite that: there many things you can do to improve your game, even in the face of a random patch nerf. Plus, you can make friends and have a good time at tournaments even if you don't do well. I went to a local two weeks ago knowing that I wasn't going to get first place. Some really strong players in my area decided to attend, and I knew going in that I was no match for them. But I had fun while I was there and actually did a little better then I expected. I learned a few things from being there despite only making it to round 3 in losers.

If you really enjoy the game and what to make friends, this patch isn't stopping you from doing that. It's not like Major league sports where you have to get a winning record to get into major events. I came to the Luigi boards expecting most people besides quite a few people to be deveststed by this, but most of the community seems determined to try to find ways around this nerf and do all they can to improve their game. I salute people like Thunderstorm who are sticking to their main despite the new challenges that this patch has presented.

If you really feel like that this patch ruins all enjoyability you have for smash, then that's fine: competitive smash isn't for everyone, and if winning is the only enjoyability you get out of the game, then you aren't going to find much value in playing. Everyone loses sooner or later. It's how you improve your game: you think about what you didn't wrong and adapt. I honestly think you're making a rash decision, but it's up to you to decide. I'd say at least wait until tomorrow to see if Boss can do anything with Luigi. He stuck with Luigi in Smash games where he wasn't top here, so he's likely going to keep on maining Luigi. Tomorrow's Xanadu will be very interesting, and I honestly think you should tune in to see how it plays out. You might learn some interesting things about running Luigi in this patch.

Last edited:

DJ Delta

Smash Journeyman
I feel like I have been super inactive on here for a while and I apologize for that. Though I have been still attending tournaments. In all honestly, the Luigi nerfs are okay to me. Though only thing I thought was annoying was why nerf cyclone's knockback when it was really only a problem because it was guaranteed off a down throw, which is no longer guaranteed at kill percents for most characters.

The buffs were nice though, you can basically fall and double dair someone since the hitbox is bigger, plus down throw follow ups are still possible at higher percents if we use our double jump and read the DI. I wishe they buffed up smash instead of dsmash though. The main problem with Luigi's smashes is they launch you at an angle, meaning it's easier to survive them than say mario, since his up smash and sends you at much more vertical trajectory than Luigi's. As well as fsmash sending you towards the corner as Mario's sends you straight. I mean his frame data is still amazing, and none of that got touched, with all those tools we can still pressure opponents into bad situations and capitalize. Only thing that disappoints was no recovery buff. Why is that that all side b's like flare blitz and skull bash auto snap but not green missile?

I also just wanted to bring up that the new shield is like a double edge sword for luigi. Sure it makes it harder to punish but also easier to pressure. You can jab up B to break shields, and I believe nair and bair are safe on shield. I have a video of this from a tournament Saturday, it was doubles but still same thing can be applied.

One more thing, I have a few videos from a tournament of me using 1.11 Luigi. Just so maybe you guys can see some stuff, including my mistakes of course.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSHvzI_Hg0A vs :4yoshi:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8n2GnsIa4dI vs :4sheik:

I was going to post the Winners finals match between me and my friend who uses:4sonic:, but i can't find it. Grands i kinda got wrecked.

Enjeru Karasu

Smash Rookie
NNID
Nothost
3DS FC
1993-9726-9368
You're in luck, because not only did I secondary Luigi, but I also main Yoshi. So I can give you double the advice in regards to that match. I would have watched the Shiek one too, but both of those videos were recorded in such a way that they are super laggy, and the audio and video don't synch very well. I saw enough in that match to get a good enough impression of your playstyle, so lets begin.

FIrst.... I will say that watching that Yoshi was painful, especially during the third game. Watching a Yoshi lose like that is not my favorite thing in the world to witness. But I digress. I'll start off with just tips on the Yoshi match up in general. We Yoshi's prefer to be in one of two places: either in your face putting you under pressure, or zoning you out with eggs from a distance. Being in between either of those places is bad for us since if we throw an egg an opponent could be close enough to punish, and if we approach wrong we could get punished for that. Yoshi's rely a lot on their neutral air, which can be punished if done right. Although with the latest patch, spaced f airs and N airs are much safer. Perfect shield and spot dodge and rushing in punishes would work well though. Also, if you fight a Yoshi on Battlefield or Dreamland, be prepared for platform Shinanigans. When the stage is flat, a Yoshi is more likely to egg camp, although on a platform stage, they tend to use that to their advantage. It's easier for them to use their combos with the platforms, then again, it's easier to do some of yours as well. Just keep that in mind. Also watch out for our d air. This guy didn't abuse it too much on you, but that move is one of Yoshi's nastier moves.

Now for the general advice, first of all, you do need to DI a little better. The most obvious example is one the throw. Yoshi's throws are really among the worst in the game, so if you DI to the side, it's really hard for us to do any sort of follow up without really reading what you do next. It is important to mix and match and DI according to the situation, cause yeah, that Yoshi shouldn't have had an easy time doing a follow up after any of his throws. Also.... try to be quicker about your recover, and never charge the green missile in that situation. It's a good idea not to charge it at all actually. It's good to use in short bursts offstage for return, since you're constantly moving. But if you're charging it, then your opponent has an opportunity to punish it. In this case, the Yoshi was able to hit you with eggs constantly. It's better to use missile sparingly so that you can air dodge or react in another way: you have a super tornado jump, so you can afford to go low if you have to. Just be quick and efficient in your recovery moments, although sometimes holding back can work to your advantage in some cases. Also.... don't spam fireballs. That won't work on challenging opponents. Sadly the Yoshi you faced here wasn't at a level that gave you a chance to get more experience within the match up. There's some more advice I could give you, but I don't want to clog things up in this forum chat. If you want to talk about it more with me, give me a PM.

Enjeru Karasu

Smash Rookie
NNID
Nothost
3DS FC
1993-9726-9368
Boss takes Xanadu with Luigi despite the patch. Although every other Luigi player there didn't fare as well. Still, this patch definitely isn't the end of the world for Luigi mains. It just means you'll have to change tactics slightly.

LordTakeo

Master of Mediocre
Boss takes Xanadu with Luigi despite the patch. Although every other Luigi player there didn't fare as well. Still, this patch definitely isn't the end of the world for Luigi mains. It just means you'll have to change tactics slightly.
I honestly never had another opinion about this.^^

How do you lots fare btw?

YerroBryBry

Smash Cadet
NNID
YerroBryBryy
Hey guys! Glad I finally found my way in the social mansion! ^^

I got a question now guys, ever since the post patch has Luigi's down B changed (in terms of how much you rise when you mash)? Over the weekend I've felt as if I couldn't spike people properly, but then I can start doing it again and I'm not sure whether it's just me and my inconsistent mashing...

Hurrican3

Smash Rookie
NNID
Crobat3Trainer
Luigi mains don't fret because all that patch means now is that its going to be a fun challenge to show that our character isn't brain-dead good but good good. WeeGee #1

FUEGO!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MontyRattata
So, I apologize for trying to Jump ship so soon, but my regional is coming up soon, and learning a new character from scratch is going to be harder than learning what works on the post-patch-plumber.

That said, I think I am back, and my Weegee is better than ever. Here is a game of my Post-Patch Luigi in action against a friend that I've played almost daily with since 3ds. He was happy I was "nerfed".

Please excuse the hand-warmer dash dancing in the beginning, skip to about 00:39 if you want to just get to the match.

LordTakeo

Master of Mediocre
So, I apologize for trying to Jump ship so soon, but my regional is coming up soon, and learning a new character from scratch is going to be harder than learning what works on the post-patch-plumber.

That said, I think I am back, and my Weegee is better than ever. Here is a game of my Post-Patch Luigi in action against a friend that I've played almost daily with since 3ds. He was happy I was "nerfed".

Please excuse the hand-warmer dash dancing in the beginning, skip to about 00:39 if you want to just get to the match.

Noooo offense, but you took some hits that you shouldn't have gotten, but otherwise... I loved your jab up+b ending.
Good to have you back.

Last edited:

FUEGO!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MontyRattata
Noooo offense, but you took some hits that you shouldn't have gotten, but otherwise... I loved your jab up+b ending.
Good to have you back.
If i had guess, you're talking about me rolling into the first upsmash, and my only death in the video (which was honestly me seeing if i could drag him with a cyclone but he read the attempt). I assure you, he's someone who has literally learned the game with me since the demo, he's the only person on earth capable of reads like that on me.

Edit: in fact, im more surprised you'd point out the hits i took instead of the string i managed after being spiked.

Last edited:
Top Bottom