• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Luigi's Social Mansion

DJ Delta

Smash Journeyman
http://challonge.com/HavenSmash_Smash4_singles/standings
2nd Place. Not bad for my second tourney. I'll post some videos in the critique thread when they are uploaded, as I feel I still don't have a firm grip on certain matchups. There were also a lot of times where messed up on overall execution. I only lost to Cratis' (aka KC.24) Sonic. I feel that matchup is very difficult for Luigi, but at least I have something to work on for next time.

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
2nd Place. Not bad for my second tourney. I'll post some videos in the critique thread when they are uploaded, as I feel I still don't have a firm grip on certain matchups. There were also a lot of times where messed up on overall execution. I only lost to Cratis' (aka KC.24) Sonic. I feel that matchup is very difficult for Luigi, but at least I have something to work on for next time.
Grats, nice! I agree, I actually find it one of his more challenging matchups, although I can't specify why [It used to be so much better in Brawl]. What other characters did you face?

I know Boss beat Seagull Joe, who is an adept Sonic for 1st place in a giant tourney. We should just hope that Boss blesses us with his appearance to help on the Sonic matchup...and to teach us jumpless cyclones.

DJ Delta

Smash Journeyman
Grats, nice! I agree, I actually find it one of his more challenging matchups, although I can't specify why [It used to be so much better in Brawl]. What other characters did you face?
I actually faced quite a diverse set of characters. I played Little Mac, ZSS, Villager, Link, Diddy Kong Falco. In my Loser's finals set against Pelca he went Diddy but switched to Falco game 4. My sets against Villager, Link, and Diddy Kong/Falco were recorded on stream. The thing about the sonic mu is that it is now much easier for sonic to kill, and it is harder for Luigi to kill. Also sonic can get Luigi off stage pretty easily with his speed and very good aerial mobility. I don't want to get into details as I feel it is topic for the mu discussion. The sonic main is also very good and has been like a teacher to me since Brawl, so him just simply outplaying me was most likely the case as opposed to just the mu. I'll definitely give much more insight when the Luigis discuss the Sonic mu.

Donyoku

Greed
Hey guys didn't want to make a double post in the match-up thread so decided to post here.
We kinda finished up with the first 3 match-ups we had (ZSS,Little Mac, Rosa) and if everyone can drop by a post the next three characters they would be interested in that would be cool. No rush of course just whenever you have a chance. Link

And Great job dude! I am so hype about all the love Luigi is getting right now. He is finally starting to get peoples attention this game and everyone is actually looking out for Luigi now. Also, with such a good placing like second people will really start to notice our favorite plumber. I didn't know the Sonic match-up was difficult thats some good information but, you explained it rather well so I guess a lot of characters can be threats as well.

Last edited:

LordTakeo

Master of Mediocre
Is there any footage? I could use some help with playing good ol weegee.

GreenFlame

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0275-7873-0005
I don't main weegee ( you can probably guess my main ever since 64), but Luigi mains are always so awesome. Weegee is truly a natural wonder.
Us Luigi mains appreciate this compliment! Thanks!

His new down-throw has made him so great in Smash 4. I think he deserves to be above Mario on the tier list for the third time in a row. He's just so good, he can't be below mid, and he can't be below Mario :).

Jiggsbomb

Smash Ace

His new down-throw has made him so great in Smash 4. I think he deserves to be above Mario on the tier list for the third time in a row. He's just so good, he can't be below mid, and he can't be below Mario :).

I agree, I think that Luigi will be above mario on the tier list.

Akumetsu

Smash Apprentice
He's defininetly close to Mario, not sure if he's acutally better though.
I'm more biased towards Luigi cause I know more things about him than I know about Mario.
That is also true for the Tier List.

I would place him somewhere +/- Mid Tier... but I would da that for a lot of chars in Smash 4. xD

Last edited:

GreenFlame

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0275-7873-0005
He's defininetly close to Mario, not sure if he's acutally better though.
I'm more biased towards Luigi cause I know more things about him than I know about Mario.
That is also true for the Tier List.

I would place him somewhere +/- Mid Tier... but I would da that for a lot of chars in Smash 4. xD
I'd put him somewhere near the top of mid, he's crazy good because of his down-throw. So many setups and so much comboing ability.

He is better than Mario (I think so anyway). His comboing ability surpasses Mario's, and he has the power to setup into a kill move. I can't see what makes Mario better than Luigi, I think it's the same as the past 2 games with Luigi being higher on the tier list than Mario, except this time Luigi is really good.

Also, this game is so balanced it's hard to tell who's on the bottom. Everyone who isn't obviously top seems like they're mid, even though some of them have to be bottom tier to make up the space. It's hard to tell who is worse than mid tier.

Akumetsu

Smash Apprentice
Oh god, his D-Throw. <3

Mario seems like to have better Gimppotental, with F-Air, Cape, somewhat buffed Down-B + better Up-B for Recovery after going in.
But dunno how good/useful this actually is.
Luigi is here limited to D-Air, more or less.

Agree with the stronger combo ability, which probably sets him higher than Mario.
He also earns more style points...

Nitric Acid

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Typpihappo
3DS FC
3308-5683-8969

The D-throw is nuts, allows us to do all kinds of stuff. And fools said only Sheik had combos! Luigi can match dat fair any day.
Not sure if this has been posted somewhere on the Luigi boards, but Boss demonstrates the importance of D-throw really well at S@X:
More goodness on the channel.

Last edited:

Jiggsbomb

Smash Ace
The D-throw is nuts, allows us to do all kinds of stuff. And fools said only Sheik had combos! Luigi can match dat fair any day.
Not sure if this has been posted somewhere on the Luigi boards, but Boss demonstrates the importance of D-throw really well at S@X:
More goodness on the channel.
Oh my goodness, that was incredible!

Nitric Acid

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Typpihappo
3DS FC
3308-5683-8969
Pretty jealous of his jab game and consistency of pulling off D-throw into up-B. I've gotta get in some more practice!

Last edited:

DJ Delta

Smash Journeyman
Is there any footage? I could use some help with playing good ol weegee.
I posted my matches on the Luigi video critique thread, I just thought that they be more suitable for that page, so feel free to look at them. Unfortunately, the stream was uploaded as a whole instead of individual matches, but I marked them along with my video post.

Nitric Acid

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Typpihappo
3DS FC
3308-5683-8969

Just for you. :p
Schweg. :awesome: If I had a theme, that would be it.

I posted my matches on the Luigi video critique thread, I just thought that they be more suitable for that page, so feel free to look at them. Unfortunately, the stream was uploaded as a whole instead of individual matches, but I marked them along with my video post.
Sweet, I'll check 'em out. I hope I'll be able to get my recording gear soon for similar uploads. For some reason, none of my local TO's upload footage; only major tournaments are able to do that here, it seems.

LordTakeo

Master of Mediocre
Ah, sweet. I prefere long marked videos more than single ones.
Thank ya!

ThunderSt0rm

Smash Champion
Hey guys didn't want to make a double post in the match-up thread so decided to post here.
We kinda finished up with the first 3 match-ups we had (ZSS,Little Mac, Rosa) and if everyone can drop by a post the next three characters they would be interested in that would be cool. No rush of course just whenever you have a chance. Link
Imo the Rosalina matchup needs more relevant input than what was said in the thread for it, but that can wait until another time. Just wanted to make a note of it.

GreenFlame

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0275-7873-0005
Oh god, his D-Throw. <3

Mario seems like to have better Gimppotental, with F-Air, Cape, somewhat buffed Down-B + better Up-B for Recovery after going in.
But dunno how good/useful this actually is.
Luigi is here limited to D-Air, more or less.

Agree with the stronger combo ability, which probably sets him higher than Mario.
He also earns more style points...
Luigi can use pretty much any aerial to edge-guard, though I know how Mario is easier to guarantee a gimp. I'd still say Mario is kind of meh, Luigi's down-throw and f-air is so good, he can combo into pretty much any thing. Luigi has a much better aerial game than Mario, he can throw out aerials all day and keep up the pressure. And Luigi has the ability to kill early on-stage with his FJP and arguably one of the best Smash attacks in the game - his f-smash.

Donyoku

Greed
Imo the Rosalina matchup needs more relevant input than what was said in the thread for it, but that can wait until another time. Just wanted to make a note of it.
Yeah most match-ups aren't set in stone and wont be for a while. But I at least want to keep moving so we can at least get ratios on the board for most characters and then revisit the ones that we do not fully agree with or want to change.

Yonder

NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
I was thinking the same thing. The fact that Rosalina might be the easiest character in the game to land D throw to Up B on, as well as her nerfs applied to her thanks to the patch, makes this patch worth rediscussing again. Personally, I think it can't be higher than 60-40 Rosalina now.

warionumbah2

Smash Master
I agree, I think that Luigi will be above mario on the tier list.
He's a mix of Dr Mario and Mario.

>Has guaranteed follow up from Down throw like Dr Mario's Down throw to Uair.
>Has Bair that kills like Dr Mario
>Cyclone recovery but better
>Powerful Super Jump like Doc
>Great combo ability like Mario
>Has decent running speed like Mario
>Jumps higher than Mario
>Spikes like Mario
>His percentage output isn't weak like Mario's, he gets that from Doc

Its a no brainer that he's better in this game.

BlueBirdE

Smash Journeyman
Up close luigi has a far better game but there are some matchups like zoners I think mario does better on because of cape and aerial mobility. ex. toonlink,dhd,etc
Make no mistake once you get in wuth luigi gg but i find getting in on good toonlinks frustrating.

Carrill

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3325-2718-4699
EDIT: Disregard this post.

Last edited:

Nitric Acid

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Typpihappo
3DS FC
3308-5683-8969
Up close luigi has a far better game but there are some matchups like zoners I think mario does better on because of cape and aerial mobility. ex. toonlink,dhd,etc
Make no mistake once you get in wuth luigi gg but i find getting in on good toonlinks frustrating.
This. Mario's cape is really useful against zoners, while Luigi only has his fireball, air game and the Cyclone to close in with. T. Link's dair causing Luigi to slide away even on whiff makes punishing options less than optimal.

Last edited:

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
Gonna be honest, I had trouble transitioning to Luigi at first and I initially did think he was pretty lukewarm. But then I got creative and D-Throw into Fair into Fair and other stuff happened. I'm solidly convinced he's a good character this time on his own, and Boss is gonna propel him super far.

I am almost positive he's more floaty in this game though, absolutely positive. But I've decided to sub him more consistently because he's pretty fun.

I think the HARDEST part is getting in on campers but I think the projectile nerfs overall make it a bit easier, and the guaranteed combos and damage let Luigi reap more from it than ever before!

LordTakeo

Master of Mediocre
Just wow... I really got a lot better at good ol weegee, thanks DJ Delta!

I still can't seem to chaingrab properly, but oh well. When the time comes...
I just love Luigi far too much, he's just so much fun that I didn't cared about my loss/win rate, but I gotta say: I got an pretty decent winrate of 75%, mostly loosing against insanely good foxes and a ditto against an reaaaaally good weegee. His reaction time was just godly.

GreenFlame

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0275-7873-0005
I love how some of the people of /r/smashbros seem to think Luigi is one of the bottom-tiers of this game. And then there's some that think his potential was only realised after Boss' performance. We already knew that he was good in this game, Boss just showed everyone else about it.

Go Luigi!

GreenFlame

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0275-7873-0005
Hey guys I played Luigi for the first time on the Wii U last night and Id say I did okay: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5UoGSnMimk
Woah, I like the control you have and how fast you are at manoeuvring Luigi! The only real thing I can say is to work on landing the second hit of your d-throw combos (after the first f-air), but other than that, wow your Luigi is amazing (and that Dark Pit kinda sucked as well)!

sims796

Smash Cadet
Hey guys! First time poster, long time player! Not the most competitive player out here, but I'm really getting serious in upping my game here.

Holy hell, is Luigi a monster!

LordTakeo

Master of Mediocre
Hey guys! First time poster, long time player! Not the most competitive player out here, but I'm really getting serious in upping my game here.

Holy hell, is Luigi a monster!
Haha, welcome to the (hopefully not anymore haunted) Mansion of Luigi.
And yes, Luigi can be devastating.^^

Shoyo James

believe in the buge
Took first place in a local tourney. It was out of 22 people so it was kind of ok. Got 69$ for going 2-0 with most of my matches with constant 2-3 stocks. Why is Luigi so damn spooky. (I even managed to land 3 taunt spikes because of the new lovely stage mechanic.) I'll try to post some of the videos.

Yonder

NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
Took first place in a local tourney. It was out of 22 people so it was kind of ok. Got 69$ for going 2-0 with most of my matches with constant 2-3 stocks. Why is Luigi so damn spooky. (I even managed to land 3 taunt spikes because of the new lovely stage mechanic.) I'll try to post some of the videos.
Wow impressive! Another Luigi main shows up and churns out some results, I like it. Also, 3 stage spikes?!? I am looking forward to these videos.

Top Bottom