• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Luigi's Social Mansion

Clownbot

Smash Lord
How is this the only vet thread to get no love so far? POLTERGUST, PEOPLE

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
How is this the only vet thread to get no love so far? POLTERGUST, PEOPLE
Well, Luigi isn't called the "King of Second Bananas" for nothing.

Anyway, it would be neat if Luigi did utilize his Poltergust, but how it would work out could be another story.

BSP

Smash Legend
It probably won't happen, but I hope Luigi isn't so overall slow in this game. He's been slow in every game so far and it's really crippling.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I think there's a good chance Luigi will have his vacuum this time. Sakurai did actually consider it during the Melee days. Don't feel ARSED to go and find a poorly translated source, but I thiiink he wasn't sure if he should or could considering how far Melee was into development...? With Luigi's Mansion having a new game out soon, and having a mini-game in Nintendo Land, I bet he just might feel the vacuum is more apart of Luigi's character than it had been before. A Stronger association.

Especially if Mario loses his F.L.U.D.D.

DBSammy

Smash Ace
Personally, I'd rather have him be relatively unchanged. Except some stat changes like faster ground/air speed.

:phone:

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
Yeah, Luigi needs some increased movement speed overall. A possible upgrade to his projectile or some slightly better range would be nice too. Maybe he could utilize an electric ball instead of a fireball like in Super star Saga. But for sure I bet he'll have his vacuum implemented into his moveset I bet.

BSP

Smash Legend
He just needs a reliable way to get in. Faster FB would help; less cooldown on tornado would help too; overall faster speed, etc.

How exactly would poltergust work? I can't see much use for the suction function, but I think the Flamethrower, Water Gun, and Ice thrower (lol) could get some use. Assuming no new additional inputs are made, something would have to go...

BSP

Smash Legend
It'd be useful no doubt. What's the one thing that stops all of Luigi's aerials? Shield. What beats shields from the air? It'd be a great mixup. You sit in shield, you get grabbed. If you try to challenge Luigi, good luck getting past Nair and Bair.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
It's ironic that Luigi is so slow in Smash when he's faster than Mario in EVERY game he's in. Wonder why they went the opposite direction on that.

Poltergust would be a blast to use, and the command grab idea sounds cool. But making that a command grab means one of the specials have to go, which would really hurt his recovery.

BSP

Smash Legend
I noticed that too Sonic Storm. In every series besides Smash, Luigi is the weak, but faster bro.

I'd honestly be willing to part with Fireballs unless they got a significant revamp for a command grab.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
I dunno about him being weaker. He's faster, jumps higher, but every enemy takes the same amount of damage from either brother in the main games, with Super Mario 64 DS being the sole exception.

His only weakness is his traction, which translates better as a weakness in platformers than it does in a fighting game.

Doubt Fireballs are going away. It's the Brothers' thing. I can only see the Missile going away for Poltergust.

BSP

Smash Legend
Now that would hurt his recovery like you said.

Unless they trash his tornado, which would hurt it even worse.

When I said weaker, I was thinking of spinoffs. You're correct about the main series games, but in spinoff games Luigi is usually a little faster than Mario, but a bit weaker. IE Olympic Games, Mario Baseball

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
I believe Luigi's Up B should have better horizontal range like in Smash 64, rather than going straight up vertically. Yes, there's his Tornado which can be used to extend his recovery, but Mario/Dr. Mario had both the Tornado (albeit not as effective as Luigi's) and their Up B moves to work with in Melee. If they do keep Luigi's Up B as is, either make his Side B faster to execute, give it longer distance, or both.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
At least in Brawl, Luigi's Super Jump Punch doesn't cripple his air speed like it did in Melee, so that's a good improvement.

BSP

Smash Legend
I believe Luigi's Up B should have better horizontal range like in Smash 64, rather than going straight up vertically. Yes, there's his Tornado which can be used to extend his recovery, but Mario/Dr. Mario had both the Tornado (albeit not as effective as Luigi's) and their Up B moves to work with in Melee. If they do keep Luigi's Up B as is, either make his Side B faster to execute, give it longer distance, or both.
That's a good point too. The green missile needs less cooldown at the least. It's current lag plus Luigi's slow air speed make him pretty easy to hit out it. The hitbox needs to be improved too. The tip of his head isn't even a hitbox for the move >_> The distance you can get with it is fine imo.

I wouldn't mind if Up B got horizontal movement again, but with the green missile here, it'll probably be straight vertical once again.

At least in Brawl, Luigi's Super Jump Punch doesn't cripple his air speed like it did in Melee, so that's a good improvement.
Yes, but on the flip side, his melee SJP actually had invincibility frames for the strong hitbox, which would be really useful again. I hope they bring those back.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
That's a good point too. The green missile needs less cooldown at the least. It's current lag plus Luigi's slow air speed make him pretty easy to hit out it. The hitbox needs to be improved too. The tip of his head isn't even a hitbox for the move >_>

I wouldn't mind if Up B got horizontal movement again, but with the green missile here, it'll probably be straight vertical once again.

Yes, but on the flip side, his melee SJP actually had invincibility frames for the strong hitbox, which would be really useful again. I hope they bring those back.
Not only that, but CPUs at any level can't recover for **** unless they're really close to the stage.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
Guys, simple solution, make the vaccum his grab and make it work as an aerial grab too (Zair). Basically the same functions as a command grab.

BSP

Smash Legend
It would still have normal grab startup right?

Also, now that I think about, in brawl, Mario's SJP hits on frame 3, while Luigi's hits on frame 6. Luigi's should be sped up or given invincibility.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
It would.

A little funny thing I thought of, maybe the poltergust can't tether the stage(in regards to it having Zair capabilities) but it would zip luigi closer to the stage. Just something to ponder.

Invici frames on the coin jump sound nice. A good counter

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
I don't see how a Poltergust grab would have normal grab speed. Even in the cartoony world of Smash, an extended grab like Link's Clawshot doesn't activate out of Hammerspace on Frame 1-2. It would just look awkward to me if the Poltergust suddenly appears and starts grabbing the instant it pops out of nowhere.

BSP

Smash Legend
Tether grab speed would be a dealbreaker for me

I still say give up the fireballs

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
one thing I always wondered is why luigi never had his flutter jump from the games.

BSP

Smash Legend
Yes. Not being affected by gravity arguably makes them even worse as a camping tool. If I'm :mario2:, at least I can change up my jumps while chucking fire. If I'm :luigi2:, it's pretty straightforward.

That was out of left field though. I was saying that I'd give up Luigi's FBs for a command grab unless they got a significant upgrade of some kind. Less cooldown and more range would be a start.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
If Fireballs are kept, I would rather have them function like they did in SMBLL and SMB3, with a higher bounce arc. Maybe make them a little bit faster, but decrease the damage by 1-2%. Creates a variation to approaching now that the opponent has a wider arc to avoid, but a slightly wider opening to get through.

BSP

Smash Legend
So like the actual main series fireballs.

I would take that too. That would give Luigi a projectile that actually gives the opponent the incentive to come to him. You know, that's probably what their fireballs should have been like to begin with. They were always fast and jumpy, but they're slow in smash.

Muhti

Turkish Smasher
Guys, simple solution, make the vaccum his grab and make it work as an aerial grab too (Zair). Basically the same functions as a command grab.

Thats honestly a great idea, like Links/Toon Links grab. That would be nice.

They need to make Luigi faster like most of you said. Keep his attacks as well imo.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Why not get rid of Luigi's fireballs and replace them with something like electricity? I mean, wasn't that his element in the Mario & Luigi series?

BSP

Smash Legend
Thats honestly a great idea, like Links/Toon Links grab. That would be nice.
The lag is you miss though X_x. I don't think it's worth the range.

Luigi has been off and on with his electricity. They probably won't use thunderhand as a smash because it's similar to Mario's Fsmash.

BSP

Smash Legend
Oh, in that case, maybe

That'd be an excuse for Luigi's Fsmash to be even stronger than it already is lol

Bazooka Joe

Smash Apprentice
I would like to see Luigi's Thunder hand as a charge projectile set at B. The longer you hold, the further it goes, does more damage, and stuns longer (like Zss). That opens up more opportunities for kill moves or combos.

BSP

Smash Legend
That's a good idea, but I think Luigi, unless they make him faster, would be a little too slow to capitalize on a stunning move. Unless it stunned them for a really long time or something.

I could see it if it worked like Power suit Samus' neutral B though.

Top Bottom