• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Luigi's Down Taunt shouldn't be disabled in For Glory

Ultrachaos547

Smash Rookie
While I don't normally play as Luigi, I was playing as him on For Glory just a moment ago. I was about to double-stock my opponent, so I decided to get flashy and try and get a ko with his down taunt. And it would've worked.... if I hadn't already past the 3 taunt limit that for glory gives you. I know why For Glory gives a taunt limit, but I think Luigi's down should be an exception, since it technically is an attack and at times can be an important factor in matches. What do you guys think?

BSL

B-B-B-BLAMM!!!
NNID
bsl883
3DS FC
3308-4560-2744
Nah it shouldn't be a problem. If you don't miss with it you won't ever hit the limit. If you are worried about it, don't taunt with Luigi outside of the down taunt.

Ultrachaos547

Smash Rookie
Nah it shouldn't be a problem. If you don't miss with it you won't ever hit the limit. If you are worried about it, don't taunt with Luigi outside of the down taunt.
I mean I guess I could, but it's sorta annoying that I gotta sacrifice his side taunt for it though. Luigi's a pretty fun and bizzare character, so it just takes a bit away from that.

GreenFlame

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0275-7873-0005
I had this thought too, it really sucks. I think Luigi's down taunt should be an exception to the rule.

Last edited:

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
While I don't normally play as Luigi, I was playing as him on For Glory just a moment ago. I was about to double-stock my opponent, so I decided to get flashy and try and get a ko with his down taunt. And it would've worked.... if I hadn't already past the 3 taunt limit that for glory gives you. I know why For Glory gives a taunt limit, but I think Luigi's down should be an exception, since it technically is an attack and at times can be an important factor in matches. What do you guys think?
Wait there's a taunt limit in for glory!?!??

This answers so many questions.

GreenFlame

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0275-7873-0005
Wait there's a taunt limit in for glory!?!??

This answers so many questions.
You can only taunt about two times before you can't taunt again until there's a kill.

Last edited:

Hybridisms

Smash Rookie
NNID
Hybridism
Yeah, you pretty much get one for each stock and an extra if you miss.

Ultrachaos547

Smash Rookie
Why are you using Luigi's down taunt to attack anyway?
Because it can KO if you use it on an enemy hanging on a ledge. It's incredibly situational, bur it can be useful. You just gotta get the timing down and plan your setup

Last edited:

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Because it can KO if you use it on an enemy hanging on a ledge. It's incredibly situational, can be useful. You just gotta get the timing down and plan your setup
Absolutely NOONE 10 years old and up in their right is going to get hit by such a predictable move.

GreenFlame

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0275-7873-0005
Absolutely NOONE 10 years old and up in their right is going to get hit by such a predictable move.
Um, not if they jump down from the ledge and jump back up. It's possible to land, it just takes very precise timing.

BSL

B-B-B-BLAMM!!!
NNID
bsl883
3DS FC
3308-4560-2744
It's not that slow, and can certainly catch people who don't refresh ledge invincibility. I've seen it landed in brawl before and it is only better now with the new ledge mechanics.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Um, not if they jump down from the ledge and jump back up. It's possible to land, it just takes very precise timing.
You must be fighting some dumb people. You have a better chance of landing a Falcon Punch.

Ultrachaos547

Smash Rookie
You must be fighting some dumb people. You have a better chance of landing a Falcon Punch.
Dude, quit ragging on people's intelligence. You ain't dumb for getting hit by it, the person who used it was just being clever. If a strategy is good, it can be applied against players of all skill levels.

Mericus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mericus
As much as I love that his Down Taunt kill is a thing,
I don't think it's enough of a Tool to warrant it being an " attack ".

-Does 1%
-Small Hitbox
- long Startup

tbh I've never even seen it kill ( ...legitimately ) despite obviously programmed to.
It's more-so a fanfare type of thing / Luigi cool points.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
You do not have a better chance of landing falcon punch.
Yes, you do. I've seen someone land a Falcon Punch, which is more than I can say for the spike.
Dude, quit ragging on people's intelligence. You ain't dumb for getting hit by it, the person who used it was just being clever. If a strategy is good, it can be applied against players of all skill levels.
I don't care how clever they are, you literally have to sit there and watch the drawn out ass animation and let it hit you. Have you seen a pro Luigi player win a set because of that spike? Probably not, because their opponent decided not to derp out and let themselves get hit by an attack that a child could see coming. Even assuming it was a viable attack, you have so many better options. That is assuming it hits. The hitbox is nonexistent.
As much as I love that his Down Taunt kill is a thing,
I don't think it's enough of a Tool to warrant it being an " attack ".

-Does 1%
-Small Hitbox
- long Startup

tbh I've never even seen it kill ( ...legitimately ) despite obviously programmed to.
It's more-so a fanfare type of thing / Luigi cool points.
This, Pretty much.

Filosafer

Smash Apprentice
@ MarioMeteor MarioMeteor
Oh, I guess since you haven't seen it done, it's impossible. We're all wrong. Pack it up everybody, this guy's right.

Standing over someone on the ledge, waiting for their invincibility to run out is NOT the ONLY way to do this spike. Just because you can't get creative with it, doesn't mean good players can't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PTmgSjPK98

GreenFlame

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0275-7873-0005
I'm not even sure what the point of arguing that an additional move that nobody else has (except Greninja, and his is onstage and doesn't kill) is bad. It's basically an extra move for Luigi that few other characters have, and it's even a kill move. He's got an option of it, it's not replacing his d-tilt or something.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
@ MarioMeteor MarioMeteor
Oh, I guess since you haven't seen it done, it's impossible. We're all wrong. Pack it up everybody, this guy's right.

Standing over someone on the ledge, waiting for their invincibility to run out is NOT the ONLY way to do this spike. Just because you can't get creative with it, doesn't mean good players can't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PTmgSjPK98
Yes, Mario sees all.
Do you notice how a majority of these was mainly the opponent running into it? If you try that **** against a pro, I can guarantee you you are going to get your ass whooped. I don't get creative with it because I'm smart enough not to use it against a smart opponent. There's not one moment where I thought, "Man, I should've used that taunt spike". If I want to spike somebody, I've got a way more reliable way to do it.

Finding Waldo

Smash Apprentice
I don't think this is just in For Glory mode. I was playing For Fun and had it happen in several matches. The last one I picked Donkey Kong in 75m and did the shrug taunt next to the big one a few times, then it wouldn't work anymore.

I don't think taunts should be banned at all, especially not in For Fun mode. it's a 2 minute wait if you get stuck in match and don't like the people.

And that video showed plenty of uses of Luigi's down taunt. But would I expect to see it in tournaments with top level players? No. Fortunately, For Glory isn't that, and since that was the point of this thread, I think OP's point is valid.

Filosafer

Smash Apprentice
Yes, Mario sees all.
Do you notice how a majority of these was mainly the opponent running into it?
Yeah I did. You're acting like you can't predict that the opponent will grab the edge. I guess when I Dsmash with LM before they grab it, they're running into it, and it's not a viable move.
When people roll into an upB sweetspot, is that "running into it"? Technically. But it's hard reading, just like down taunting at the edge. In theory, trying to read the roll for an upB is stupid, and that "If you try that **** against a pro, I can guarantee you you are going to get your ass whooped." And yet, people still do it. Successfully.
So again, just because you can't, doesn't mean others can't.

Ultrachaos547

Smash Rookie
Yes, Mario sees all.
Do you notice how a majority of these was mainly the opponent running into it? If you try that **** against a pro, I can guarantee you you are going to get your *** whooped. I don't get creative with it because I'm smart enough not to use it against a smart opponent. There's not one moment where I thought, "Man, I should've used that taunt spike". If I want to spike somebody, I've got a way more reliable way to do it.
Okay, so let's say that they we're just "running into it" as you claim. Watch the video again. Watch the VERY FIRST clip of that video again. Did Marth have any other options in the moment before he was struck? Nope. The only option was to use his up-special, and the player was likely not expecting it, since Luigi's taunt is rarely used.

I think that from this conversation, as well as the video (thanks Filosafer!), I've concluded that Luigi's taunt, while extremely situational and extremely tricky to pull off, Luigi's down taunt allows him to pull off a deadly meteor smash without having to leave the ground, and getting a KO with the moves is immensely satisfying and gives off a pizaz that few other moves can.

Also, who the heck do you think you are?? Acting all mighty, calling yourself smart, and other insulting the intelligence of other players. You say that no pro would ever get hit by the taunt, but how do you know that the players in that video weren't pros? Do you honestly think that you'd never be able to hit a "pro" with the down taunt, even if the person playing Luigi was crazy good? Do you think of yourself as a pro? Do you honestly think that you could go toe-to-toe with some of the best Luigi players in the world, hell, even the Luigi player in that video, and actually expect to never once get hit by that taunt. I mean, according to you, you're smart and only "dumb" people would ever get hit by it, right?

You seriously need to re-evaluate your tone, your attitude, and choice your choice of words. You've barely been on the forum for a month! What gives you the right to insult other people's intelligence? What gives you the right to say that you're better than others? You have no credibility, and your arguments are backed by zero evidence. Using insulting language and being conceited doesn't make you anymore likable buddy.

Last edited:

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Warning Received
Yeah I did. You're acting like you can't predict that the opponent will grab the edge. I guess when I Dsmash with LM before they grab it, they're running into it, and it's not a viable move.
When people roll into an upB sweetspot, is that "running into it"? Technically. But it's hard reading, just like down taunting at the edge. In theory, trying to read the roll for an upB is stupid, and that "If you try that **** against a pro, I can guarantee you you are going to get your *** whooped." And yet, people still do it. Successfully.
So again, just because you can't, doesn't mean others can't.
LM's down smash is fast as ****, yes that's still running into it, but I can't say I'd blame you for getting hit cause it has basically no startup. You do have a point about rolling into things. And what you fail to realize is I can do it, but I don't want to. Because I see no point.
Okay, so let's say that they we're just "running into it" as you claim. Watch the video again. Watch the VERY FIRST clip of that video again. Did Marth have any other options in the moment before he was struck? Nope. The only option was to use his up-special, and the player was likely not expecting it, since Luigi's taunt is rarely used.

I think that from this conversation, as well as the video (thanks Filosafer!), I've concluded that Luigi's taunt, while extremely situational and extremely tricky to pull off, Luigi's down taunt allows him to pull off a deadly meteor smash without having to leave the ground, and getting a KO with the moves is immensely satisfying and gives off a pizaz that few other moves can.

Also, who the heck do you think you are?? Acting all mighty, calling yourself smart, and other insulting the intelligence of other players. You say that no pro would ever get hit by the taunt, but how do you know that the players in that video weren't pros? Do you honestly think that you'd never be able to hit a "pro" with the down taunt, even if the person playing Luigi was crazy good? Do you think of yourself as a pro? Do you honestly think that you could go toe-to-toe with some of the best Luigi players in the world, hell, even the Luigi player in that video, and actually expect to never once get hit by that taunt. I mean, according to you, you're smart and only "dumb" people would ever get hit by it, right?

You seriously need to re-evaluate your tone, your attitude, and choice your choice of words. You've barely been on the forum for a month! What gives you the right to insult other people's intelligence? What gives you the right to say that you're better than others? You have no credibility, and your arguments are backed by zero evidence. Using insulting language and being conceited doesn't make you anymore likable buddy.
A better question would be who the hell do you think YOU are? You reek of hypocrisy. You accuse me of acting conceited, yet your uppity ass sat there and went on a whole rant about **** that you made up. Did I once say I was better than others? Did I once call anybody in particular stupid? Did I ever call myself a pro? You need to wipe the **** from your eyes, cause half the stuff you said isn't even correct. I don't care how long I've been on the site, I'm gonna use whatever words I feel like. Is that a problem? If so, you should address someone who gives a ****.
My attitude, my choice of words, and my tone is going to stay the same. Do something about it. Now what gives YOU the right to talk to me like you're above me or something? You think I seem unlikable, yet rather than peacefully address what I said like @ Filosafer Filosafer , you go and be a ****head about it. He made a good point, and I agreed with him, now look at you. Being a ignorant hypocrite. Why don't you listen to your own advice and learn your place, "buddy"?

Ultrachaos547

Smash Rookie
A better question would be who the hell do you think YOU are? You reek of hypocrisy. You accuse me of acting conceited, yet your uppity *** sat there and went on a whole rant about **** that you made up. Did I once say I was better than others? Did I once call anybody in particular stupid? Did I ever call myself a pro? You need to wipe the **** from your eyes, cause half the stuff you said isn't even correct. I don't care how long I've been on the site, I'm gonna use whatever words I feel like. Is that a problem? If so, you should address someone who gives a ****.
My attitude, my choice of words, and my tone is going to stay the same. Do something about it. Now what gives YOU the right to talk to me like you're above me or something? You think I seem unlikable, yet rather than peacefully address what I said like @ Filosafer Filosafer , you go and be a ****head about it. He made a good point, and I agreed with him, now look at you. Being a ignorant hypocrite. Why don't you listen to your own advice and learn your place, "buddy"?
The reason why I went on a long winded rant is because you kept using phrases like "You must be fighting some dumb people" and "Absolutely NOONE 10 years old and up in their right is going to get hit by such a predictable move.". You're basically resorting to name calling to insult other players who have gotten KO'd by a viable move. Players come with all types skills sets, experiences, and knowledge bases. Once again, you have no right to insult them.

And you also said " I don't get creative with it because I'm smart enough not to use it against a smart opponent." I created this thread because I was frustrated at how the online taunt mechanics prevented me from using a strategy that I had created, and that line I just quoted is you basically saying "I don't need strategies like that because I'm SMART." Sounds pretty degrading and insulting, doesn't it? I have no clue if that was your actual intention was, but that's what I took away. You basically just insulted anyone who has used that strategy..Also "know your place"? You say you weren't acting superior, but when you say that, your basically saying "sit down and shut up", and it does imply acting superior.

Your words carry meaning. When you come into this thread, insult two different parties of players, dismiss the valid arguments of others, and then start swearing up a storm, how does that make you look? How does that make the smash community as a whole look. I know this is kinda preachy but this is a problem with smash community. We need to stop with all the name calling and general rudeness.

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
I've seen that MarioMeteor guy on the Mario boards, his attitude makes him get into a lot of verbal scraps. Better to just ignore him or report him.

Anyways, I don't use Luigi's D taunt in my arsenal so it doesn't affect me in for Glory. I've landed it once on a Falcon by sheer luck, but it's always better to go for the dair spike anyways.

Ultrachaos547

Smash Rookie
Anyways, I don't use Luigi's D taunt in my arsenal so it doesn't affect me in for Glory. I've landed it once on a Falcon by sheer luck, but it's always better to go for the dair spike anyways.
Yeah. Thing is though I'm not the best aerial player, especially with luigi's odd jumping, so in a weird way using luigi's taunt actually feels safer than using dair for me haha.

Filosafer

Smash Apprentice
I've seen that MarioMeteor guy on the Mario boards, his attitude makes him get into a lot of verbal scraps. Better to just ignore him or report him.
Solid advice. Just saw he's been here barely a month and has 223 posts. That's a little hint.

Yeah. Thing is though I'm not the best aerial player, especially with luigi's odd jumping, so in a weird way using luigi's taunt actually feels safer than using dair for me haha.
It's especially good when you're scared you're going to get stage spiked. Happened to me too many times.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Drop it, guys. This isn't really worth getting into a fight over.

And no name-calling please.

A better question would be who the hell do you think YOU are? You reek of hypocrisy. You accuse me of acting conceited, yet your uppity *** sat there and went on a whole rant about **** that you made up. Did I once say I was better than others? Did I once call anybody in particular stupid? Did I ever call myself a pro? You need to wipe the **** from your eyes, cause half the stuff you said isn't even correct. I don't care how long I've been on the site, I'm gonna use whatever words I feel like. Is that a problem? If so, you should address someone who gives a ****.
That attitude is not going to get you anywhere. Take my advice.

Last edited:

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
You know what? I'm just gonna leave that one alone before I say something I might regret.

Kr33p3rK1ll3r

Smash Rookie
Hello! I'm new to the forums, and I recently found great main potential in Luigi. While I'm not going to get into that, I think that the taunt is too good to be an exception from the taunt limit. With the ledge grab invulnerability, Luigi's taunt has to be timed so it hits before they grab (unless they moved in a way that negates lgi, such as grabbing, falling, recovering, regrabbing.) I want to be an active member in this thread when it comes to discussing the taunt limit and other aspects of the taunt. Please let me know if ever I'm a nuisance when I talk, as, like now, I tend to drone on.

Top Bottom