• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Luigi Vs Rosalina

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
I don't even believe there is any 90:10 matchups in the entire game since infinites and chaingrabs are gone.

zhao_guang

Smash Lord
NNID
zhaoguang1
WHOOOAOAOAOAOAOAOAOAO at this match-up being 90-10 or other absurd numbers. I think Luigi-sama is the closest with the 55-45. I, personally, am leaning towards 60-40 for Rosalina.

She can definitely zone out Luigi (which is his ultimate weakness) but it requires a lot more precision than, say, Marth and MK in brawl (where they could just wait for luigi to jump and then pick any move to block him out, LOL). She has some wacky hitboxes and strong ground moves, but it's nothing to give up on. This match-up requires lots of mix-ups, to keep Rosalina guessing. Cyclone is good, but don't get predictable with it, since if she shields the whole move, you're gonna get punished big time.

Luigi is a character that preys on imperfections, so make sure your punishes are on point and that you know how to rack up the most % out of grabs. I find once you knock out the Luma, spam fireballs like mad until she shields or rolls, then punish accordingly. I've also done the thing Luigi-sama is talking about where you smack the luma off stage and it just dies. Figure out all kinds of methods to get that Luma outta there so you can deal with the nasty broad yourself!

Luigisama

Smash Champion
I've seen you on the Rosa boards complaining about how OP the character is. Luigi does pretty well against Rosalina if he knows what he's doing. I've beaten good rosalinas on aib and have taken a few games off of Frozen's Rosalina (he wins mostly, but thats due to him having better overall fundamentals and not really matchup). While the matchup his in her favor, Luigi has the tools to beat her. It's just a matter of learning the matchup and the character herself.

Don't complain about something that you have no full understanding of. Learn to adapt to the game's new rules and characters; this isn't PM where you can just cry "NERF" and it'll happen.
I mean, I have problems with the game such as vectoring being different, ledge mechanics, luigi's recovery, characters like diddy, sheik, zss, mac, etc, but I'm figuring out ways to deal with these new mechanics and characters. Learn the game more before making absurd claims.
Frozen is actually the Rosalina that I played against at one tournament. I just rewatched the match again. Does anyone know why this happened after I hit luma? I found it interesting since Luma is suppose to have 50 hp.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRlGBU0hQx0#t=167

Also this happened to Luma https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRlGBU0hQx0#t=185

ThunderSt0rm

Smash Champion
I came into this thread seeing tons of extreme disadvantage ratios and while I'm not trying to flame or start any kind of argument, all I can say is people need to step up and get better. Learn the matchup, find ways to exploit the other character, study what makes the other character good or function. Don't just sit there and give a 80-20 or 90-10 ratio and call the character dumb or broken because you didn't attempt to further study the matchup, either through video or hands-on playing.

Rosalina is currently a very a strong contender to be at least top 3 in the game as I'm sure most people are aware of. But, even if that's how it ends up being she is not unbeatable. Luigisama and Zhao are heading in the right direction with discussion and I have faith in their opinion knowing them as veteran Luigis.

Does anyone know why this happened after I hit luma? I found it interesting since Luma is suppose to have 50 hp.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRlGBU0hQx0#t=167

Also this happened to Luma https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRlGBU0hQx0#t=185
For anyone that doesn't know, if you hit Luma and send him into a tumbling animation, Rosalina has no control over him until he touches the ground. If you hit him into tumble offstage, then he's guaranteed dead and Rosalina can't do anything to save him. As Zhao said find ways to kill Luma in this fashion so that dealing with Rosalina is a bit easier for a short amount of time. For example D3's dsmash sends people (including Luma) at a much more horizontal trajectory than it did in brawl so it's a decent way to kill Luma near the edge or at the very least get him away from Rosalina for a short time. So experiment with the tools Luigi has to find the best way to deal with Luma. Dsmash could possibly work out for us like it does for D3, or even Mach Tornado as someone previously mentioned (and an addition to that, maybe default cyclone too).

ThegreatVaporeon1

Smash Ace
That is good to hear. I hope everyone can gain a better understanding and agree on this matchup being more of a slight disadvantage or -1 at the most. Also the ZSS thread has got a little love lol and Mac none at all. I expected more posts for Mac than anyone but, since Mac is all around For Glory maybe people aren't struggling with the match up anymore. Not really certain. But would love to see more comments on those matchups so we can move on to the next set of characters.
Yeah I'm about to comment on the Mac thread.

Last edited:

Donyoku

Greed
Ok since it seems the discussion has died down, I took an average of all the credible and reliable responses and came up with 65-35 Roslina Favor. Does everyone agree for now to put into the Match-up Thread Directory? Or should there be more discussion?

ThegreatVaporeon1

Smash Ace
Ok since it seems the discussion has died down, I took an average of all the credible and reliable responses and came up with 65-35 Roslina Favor. Does everyone agree for now to put into the Match-up Thread Directory? Or should there be more discussion?
That sounds reasonable to be honest. 65-35 it is.

GreenFlame

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0275-7873-0005
Nothing says it has to be set in stone, right? And yes, 65-35 sounds pretty accurate.

hey_there

Smash Journeyman
I'm more in favour of 60-30. I'll admit that when I first played the game Rosalina seemed completely invincible. But now I've played some good Rosalina's and it's weird -- all of a sudden I don't feel so helpless. There are openings! And now that I can get some hits in, her lightweight really gets her KO'd early. And recovering high instead of low was something I had to adapt to, otherwise her disjointed dair just stuffs Luigi. Her dash attack can stuff Luigi's aerial approaches, but her dash attack can be interrupted and beaten with Luigi Cyclone, which sets her up in the air. Her disjointed dair stops Luigi from following right underneath, but she's still very vulnerable to a fair and especially to a sweet spotted bair. Luma Shot can be stuffed by Fireballs, and because of her height it's not hard to sneak some in on her too. Since Luigi spends a lot of time in the air, it's shouldn't be too hard to avoid her dsmash.

I don't think this match up is really as hopeless as it seems at first. I didn't post in this thread before because I didn't have a lot of experience vs Rosa, but now that I've played some quality matches, I'd like to cast my vote as 60-40.

ThegreatVaporeon1

Smash Ace
I'm more in favour of 60-30. I'll admit that when I first played the game Rosalina seemed completely invincible. But now I've played some good Rosalina's and it's weird -- all of a sudden I don't feel so helpless. There are openings! And now that I can get some hits in, her lightweight really gets her KO'd early. And recovering high instead of low was something I had to adapt to, otherwise her disjointed dair just stuffs Luigi. Her dash attack can stuff Luigi's aerial approaches, but her dash attack can be interrupted and beaten with Luigi Cyclone, which sets her up in the air. Her disjointed dair stops Luigi from following right underneath, but she's still very vulnerable to a fair and especially to a sweet spotted bair. Luma Shot can be stuffed by Fireballs, and because of her height it's not hard to sneak some in on her too. Since Luigi spends a lot of time in the air, it's shouldn't be too hard to avoid her dsmash.

I don't think this match up is really as hopeless as it seems at first. I didn't post in this thread before because I didn't have a lot of experience vs Rosa, but now that I've played some quality matches, I'd like to cast my vote as 60-40.
I have more trouble against ZSS than Rosa, to be honest.

Donyoku

Greed
Nothing says it has to be set in stone, right? And yes, 65-35 sounds pretty accurate.
Correct, nothing will be set in stone for a while down the road. These are just how we feel about the matchup now. These threads will always be open and linked in the parent directory if people want to reopen the discussion and change the matchup ratio.

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
So I'm guessing the matchup should be easier now with Rosalina's new nerfs, right? [No more 90-10...never was in the first place lol] I now see 60-40, 65-35 if we really push it. Once we find the best tools to get rid of Luma...we can do some serious damage to solo Rosalina.

Last edited:

ThegreatVaporeon1

Smash Ace
So I'm guessing the matchup should be easier now with Rosalina's new nerfs, right? [No more 90-10...never was in the first place lol] I now see 60-40, 65-35 if we really push it. Once we find the best tools to get rid of Luma...we can do some serious damage to solo Rosalina.
Ill be honest, her nerfs don't do much. She still has the range and stage control that really give Luigi trouble. 65-35 or 60-40 is still a pretty big advantage for Rosa, but I can definitely see this to be the matchup ratio.

Chri$tian Is @wesome

Smash Rookie
Rosalina BODIES that little plumber.

I'm sure most of you know that Luigi really struggles at approaching, therefore Rosalina can camp him really hard. Even worse, Luigi's main approach option, his fireball, gets absorbed by Rosalina's down b.

Luigi also struggles at landing due to how slow he falls to the ground. Rosalina being really good at juggling with her up air can juggle Luigi to death and probably kill him.

Ralugi

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Uranium238
I still think that this matchup is somewhere between 70:30 to Rosalina to 85:15 at best!
obs:it does not help the fact that Luigi´s recovery is horrible!
Luigi ' s recovery isn't horrible. Just slightly below average. As for a way to get past the Luma, an air attack might do it, though this match up will boil down to a mind game. Whether or not the player Rosa controls understands the advantage presented to them, which if they have any brain in their skulls, will. Try using a ledge to roll behind Rosa and close the distance with a down throw. The only thing a good Luigi player needs is to get a good grab in. As it stands in neutral, the odds are still somewhere in the 85-15 area.

As for which character is superior in terms of MU, it's a hat toss. Every character has a bad MU, and the correlation between skill set and how punishable the character is. ZSS is the combo maker, Rosalina and Luma are the light weights, and Sheik is everything at once.

MonkeyArms

Smash Ace
NNID
MrCheeseburger7
The matchup is sooooooo bad.

If the Rosalina has any idea on how to use side b, consider yourself SCREWED. You have no fast option to deal with it and trying to get past it with defensive options just pushes you back. So, you have to jump. What are your options now?
A. Down B.
B. Nair.
C. Air Dodge into one of the above options.
D. Tomahawk. (situational as normally it doesn't work.)

At this point, your playing a game of rock paper scissors, and even then, if you win, your reward, on average, is 12 percent.

The Rosalina tries to up air you. At this point, air dodge.
The Rosalina shield grabs. At this point, use down B.
Now the Rosalina holds shield. Problem: Reaction times. Any of your options will be beat simply by reactions. Your only good option is to try and force luma into hitstun with down B. But that gets punished.

You are put in the air. Now, you are forced to read when Rosalina is going to use up air with an air dodge. Even if you guess right, sometimes its a frame trap.

You're offstage. Rosalina is going to try and down air you, no matter how you try to recover. Why? The rapid jab setup Rosalina has doesn't work on Luigi at the ledge, due to his huge jump. You are basically forced to recover from the same spot every time to because luma just meat shields your fireball recovery. Its not hard for rosalina to gimp you. That's a problem.

Now, on the bright side, you CAN edge guard rosalina if you perform it right. It can be a little hard sometimes, but its doable.

Here are your options for dealing with Luma:
Jab (if you can get in on that side b far enough)
Up Smash (Their landings)
Down Smash (Quickest option)
Down B (Your landings)

Did I mention grabs get punished half the time?

Overall, its a real rarity you'll win this matchup with Luigi, but if you played PERFECTLY, then I can see you winning. 70:30, though for me personally, its 75:25 (Both in Rosalina's favor obviously)

Last edited:
Top Bottom