• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Luigi Vs Little Mac Match-up

Donyoku

Greed
This is the start of the gathering of general opinion and discussion on Luigi's Match-up against Little Mac. There will be rules to the thread of course but, not all the strict more like guidelines if you will.
Rules (Guidelines)
  1. Post your opinion on the match-up (ie 50-50, 55-45, 60-40)
  2. Provide a case for your reasoning (personal experience, videos, zone control etc)
  3. Can post more than once in response to others opinions (no bashing)
  4. Try to keep everything factual in nature but of course everyone's opinion is welcome.
Once everyone feels we have a good idea of where the match-up stands at the moment I will add it to the directory for the future and changes can/will be made accordingly.

ThegreatVaporeon1

Smash Ace
Okay, so. I don't like this matchup at all lol. I feel so hopeless whenever I play this matchup. Mac's is extremely fast, has a lot of range and has the early ko power to really give Luigi trouble. His rolls are extremely fast and almost unpunishable due to how easily he can go back and forth with it. His multihit jab kills us at around 130 (although you can nair out of it at times) Meanwhile we have our mediocre run speed that doesn't do any good for chasing a fast character like him. Up b'ing him is tough because of how swift is movement is, and while yes we win in the air, it's tough to even get him in the air. Dthrow combos work at low percents, but at higher percents, he can escape those combos and get back on the ground and do mac things. Grabbing mac in general is tough because of his mobility and the fact that he can outrange us with his smashes, which also makes it hard for us to approach. Cyclone is an option but is heavily punishable if he shields it.

The only thing i've seen that are positive in the mu is cyclone hitting mac out of his ko punch. And a good bair offstage helps but side b and wall jump to up b makes mac's recovery pretty good, especially when he saves a jump. If his ko punch misses, you can punish with an up b, but you have to be extremely careful not to get hit. And that's really it. Aside from juggling him in the air like we can with many chars (he also seems to escape combos easier btw), and a decent edgeguard game, I'm not seeing this as a good matchup at all.

I may be going out on a limb here, but 70-30 Mac is what I think.

Wa_Black

Smash Apprentice
I think it's pretty tough. I do well until I get sent flying across the screen and am forced to use a jump to get back on the ledge, and that's when little mac happens... (charged down smash).

ThunderSt0rm

Smash Champion
So far this matchup hasn't been too difficult for me. Luigi can zone Mac out with fireball and force him to approach. Mobility isn't a huge problem either because of how fast dash grab is.

It's Mac, so as always you just get him offstage and edgeguard. Without customs edgeguarding isn't as easy but with them you can go super deep to gimp him.

Against a smart Mac it will probably be difficult for Luigi but I don't see it being extremely in Mac's favor.

Last edited:

STiCKYBULL3TZ

Smash Ace
NNID
STiCKYBULL3TZ
3DS FC
2036-9005-7675
I've never played the match up but I play Little Mac and Luigi. Here's what I think:

This is a very tough match up for Luigi. Mac out ranges him with his footsie game and Luigi's slow air speed makes him vulnerable when jumping. The best method is to wait him out. Fireball from a distance but don't spam it. Mac can side b and smack you in the face if you constantly throw fireballs. Give yourself a chance to shield if he goes for it (most likely he will because Little Macs don't jump). He might also decide to inch in and shield every fireball. If he does this follow up your fireball with a grab if he gets to close. If he rolls past your fireballs you can catch him with a cyclone to catch his rolling.

If Mac is in your face I would suggest returning the game to neutral as soon as possible. He can overwhelm Luigi and you have few, if any, offensive options against him that close. Most likely Mac will pressure with spaced Ftilts. If he spams you can roll behind him between Ftilts and grab to start your Luigi stuff. If he's pressuring too close then shield grab. If he connects with a Dtilt you can surprise him with a cyclone to quickly come back down and attack. Or you can fast fall a Nair. Be sure to mix up between offensive and defensive options.

Like with any Mac match up, getting him in the air is key. Take advantage of frame traps. Make him double jump and/or air dodge and attack when the moment presents itself. Uair is pretty much always safe. A properly spaced Uair on Mac's aerial Counter will make him miss. When he's offstage he has some options but not many. Above the ledge, you have to read when he'll use side b and counter with a Bair. At ledge height, he has to side b so be ready with a Dsmash or Bair. When he's below the ledge, don't stand there waiting for him. His up b has a large hitbox and will hit you if you're too close. You can drop down and get him if you think he'll make it back.

Recovery for Luigi is very difficult. He can swat away side b recoveries. He can Dsmash anything that recovers low. Luigi's up b moves very quickly and it's hard to time with a Dsmash. If he can time it well then there's much you can except delay up b the best you can using a combination or double jump, side b, and rising cyclone to throw off his timing. And SWEETSPOT it!!!

I think this is :4littlemac:60 / :4luigi:40

ThegreatVaporeon1

Smash Ace
I've never played the match up but I play Little Mac and Luigi. Here's what I think:

This is a very tough match up for Luigi. Mac out ranges him with his footsie game and Luigi's slow air speed makes him vulnerable when jumping. The best method is to wait him out. Fireball from a distance but don't spam it. Mac can side b and smack you in the face if you constantly throw fireballs. Give yourself a chance to shield if he goes for it (most likely he will because Little Macs don't jump). He might also decide to inch in and shield every fireball. If he does this follow up your fireball with a grab if he gets to close. If he rolls past your fireballs you can catch him with a cyclone to catch his rolling.

If Mac is in your face I would suggest returning the game to neutral as soon as possible. He can overwhelm Luigi and you have few, if any, offensive options against him that close. Most likely Mac will pressure with spaced Ftilts. If he spams you can roll behind him between Ftilts and grab to start your Luigi stuff. If he's pressuring too close then shield grab. If he connects with a Dtilt you can surprise him with a cyclone to quickly come back down and attack. Or you can fast fall a Nair. Be sure to mix up between offensive and defensive options.

Like with any Mac match up, getting him in the air is key. Take advantage of frame traps. Make him double jump and/or air dodge and attack when the moment presents itself. Uair is pretty much always safe. A properly spaced Uair on Mac's aerial Counter will make him miss. When he's offstage he has some options but not many. Above the ledge, you have to read when he'll use side b and counter with a Bair. At ledge height, he has to side b so be ready with a Dsmash or Bair. When he's below the ledge, don't stand there waiting for him. His up b has a large hitbox and will hit you if you're too close. You can drop down and get him if you think he'll make it back.

Recovery for Luigi is very difficult. He can swat away side b recoveries. He can Dsmash anything that recovers low. Luigi's up b moves very quickly and it's hard to time with a Dsmash. If he can time it well then there's much you can except delay up b the best you can using a combination or double jump, side b, and rising cyclone to throw off his timing. And SWEETSPOT it!!!

I think this is :4littlemac:60 / :4luigi:40
I still find this to be one Luigi's worst matchups, but then again I play like a moron against Mac and there is some salt behind my claims. But I can somewhat agree with 60-40...would rather be 65-35 mac though.

Doruge

Smash Journeyman
Fireballs are useless against Mac, he can cancel them with jab.

King_Peachee

Smash Journeyman
NNID
King_Peachee
3DS FC
3754-9306-5412
I think it's important to know Mac's limitations in this MU. Control the fight with fire ball pressure, feel out the opponent and see if they are shield-happy. If they are, then get in there and start up some d-throw combos right away. I feel like a number of Mac's moves that can be anticipated. Try to stay air borne and avoid moves that give Mac an opportunity to punish (up-b should be avoided). I think I'd favor Luigi in this matchup.

60-40 Luigi.

Wa_Black

Smash Apprentice
So far this matchup hasn't been too difficult for me. Luigi can zone Mac out with fireball and force him to approach. Mobility isn't a huge problem either because of how fast dash grab is.

It's Mac, so as always you just get him offstage and edgeguard. Without customs edgeguarding isn't as easy but with them you can go super deep to gimp him.

Against a smart Mac it will probably be difficult for Luigi but I don't see it being extremely in Mac's favor.
How do fireballs force him to come in? They're slow are don't travel fullscreen, and if he doesn't want to come in he can just shield, dodge, or hop them. Plus, don't little macs always want to be close fireball or not, so long as it's not by the edge?

Last edited:

J.Miller

Smash Apprentice
NNID
J.Miller91
Is anyone up for playing this match wifi wise? I play as both and am interested in knowing more about this match up.

My personal opinion I believe this will ultimately be in Mac's favour, by what ratio I think it is too early to say. I feel Mac has all of the tools in place to prevent Luigi having prolonged momentum which hurts however I do not feel this match up is heavily against Luigi.

Mac's Strengths:
Frame 1 Jab 1

Amazing ground game that unless Luigi is perfect shielding almost everything, if he cannot avoid and punish...will make Luigi have to take to the air.
Notable range on smashes with the super armour on all of them

Mobility

Fastfaller

Tilts all three have great purpose and compliment each other

K.O punch Luigi's tumble options for Little Mac all require for Luigi to be closer than what he would like with this as an option only time I personally would advise going is after the 6 seconds, if there is a punish opportunity, or if you are below 30% The K.O punch will not kill earlier than this. As much as taking 36% sucks I'll take that over not losing a stock and possibly not having to deal with the punch at all.
K.O punch can be spotdodged, airdodged, prevented through interrupting start-up just all fairly scary options.
Mac's weaknesses:

Horrid grab range outside of roll grab and even with roll grab... unless the stage control or the up-throw *for attempting to punish landing* is worth going for it's a risk.

A successful grab like with pretty much every character dependant on stage positioning can mean your stock is gone within seconds and if you cannot outright take a stock it's a chance to amount damage and attempt to break down what the Mac player wants to try to do to get down safely or with minimal damage taken.

Original counter: travelling either left or right strictly, with correct knowledge of this slip counter is not a move you will want to go to with stability, it's a option Mac needed however he has no choice he has to move dependent on where you attack him from he will potentially be in just as bad or even worse position if the counter is not used with perfection.

No notable air game aside from if the Mac player has noticed Luigi has used his second jump and feels brave enough to gimp with nair. A more realistic use though is using run off fair, or a well placed bair though in most cases it's better for Mac to just wait for a recovery attempt.

Luigi's strengths:
Jab combo is still fast and jab 3 *arse* sends Mac into a position he is not ever wanting to be in.

U-tilt being the juggler as usual, I doubt Mac can retaliate with Nair but I am not 100% sure so I could be wrong on that.

D-throw because the follow ups are so good and the main thing to worry about is slip counter, if you land a d-throw you can just get the guaranteed 1st hit or 2nd as nair is a combo after fair *usually* and either go for more or just fast fall back down and await the landing to begin the pressure all over again.

Fireball...though I am slightly hesitant in calling this strong, it is a tool that can be used with caution. There are multiple responses Mac has to projectiles, and considering fireball is far from the strongest projectile it gives Mac an opportunity to do the following:

Attack through the fireball, walk/run and perfect shield, Side B... What fireball is good for is to see how the Little Mac responds whereas it's not amazing it's a scouting tool that can do damage I just would advise it to be used often at all. I would suggest you are better off not pressing buttons in neutral unless you are far away enough to consider a fireball...

All smashes doing 14% uncharged *least in training mode*

Cyclone having more potent hitboxes and knockback is helpful, though it's not a move to use repeatedly for landing at times and pressure it has a place in the match up.

To be honest I am struggling for other strengths, nair is still alright but calling it a strength seems a bit much even with it being a combo breaker if anyone can let me know what else I am missing tell me.

Luigi's weaknesses.

Smash attacks having limited use, simply because unless they are strict punishes Luigi's are just inferior to Mac's is every way.
My wording of this may sound crappy at first but I believe Luigi in other mu's can space with smashes and intimidate with them to a degree, against Mac... this is a risk because of Mac's smash attacks and what he can do to anyone who whiffs.

Floaty... Mac will gain both small and bigger advantages due to this coupled with poor airspeed as time goes on Luigi having to contend with u-tilt, upsmash, and f-smash up angled will be troublesome and may require him to airdodge or use jumps which if are punished will make landing safely troublesome.

Recovery... from my own experiences nothing apart from Up-B sweetspots the ledge *Please correct me if I am wrong * Though if Luigi is repeatedly forced offstage his recovery options are not as good as they once were.
Keeping 2nd jump is vital and having to use cyclone right after the jump means the recovery will become very telegraphed.
You can argue both have bad recovery choices, Mac's being worse especially if he has not got a wall to jump from however I feel Mac will be killing easier in this mu unless the mac doesn't prevent being grabbed.

What do you all think in general?

BlueBirdE

Smash Journeyman
I'm gonna add my 2 cents since I a lot has been said. I personally give this a 55-45 ratio in Macs favor. I've had a lot of trouble killing Macs on stage unless I get a good read. Getting them off stage is a must, I feel I have to play the match to force the situation. Luckily, when you do get the opportunity Luigi does have some good edge guarding tools against Mac. I find d-tilt very useful when they want to go under the edge and up-b, 90% of the time I knock them out of the up-b and resets the situation, f-air is good for their side b, if they decide to side b on the stage its a free up-b.

Wa_Black

Smash Apprentice
I would give it to mac. 7-3. As a disclaimer, I don't consider 7-3 to be anywhere close to un-winnable. If luigi gets him off stage he can win no problem, but I feel that getting mac off-stage would be an uphill battle against a smart mac and on-stage, mac beats luigi in every category. I just don't think I could call this match 4-4.5 because it's going to be hell on-stage and you can't get mac off-stage without engaging him on-stage.

Luigi lacks the range to reliably send mac off the stage, mac can just avoid doing things that are throw punishable, but even then luigi just might not be able to seize the opportunity because of his low grab range. k.o. punch makes it so luigi can't get close enough to do anything. And it seems he can k.o. punch his opponents attacks (i feel this is worth knowing) because the opponent's hitbox extends when attacking. mac can be hard to catch with his fast walk/run/roll speed added to the fact that he has a counter. Luigi's fireballs don't command any respect in this match, and they may actually leave mac at frame advantage. Luigi has less range, is more punishable, slower, and also has bad recovery, though not as bad as mac's.

The TaBuu

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheTaBuu
3DS FC
3454-0444-5134

I'm going to say 60-40 in Little Mac's favor
Maybe 55-45 if we're generous

i'm going to agree with this general consensus that little mac holds the favorable matchup against luigi.
however, luigi is not to be slept on as he has the tools to fight little mac.

• fireballs
    i cannot stress the importance of this move. fireballs are crucial to luigi's gameplay as they provide him with an approach option and zoning tool. the cooldown on luigi's fireballs is minimal and therefore luigi can actually act out of fireball very quickly. against little mac, use the fireball to force an approach or halt an approach.
    play smart though ; fireball up close, is a bad spot for luigi as that spells out a punish for the luigi player. and as we all know, little mac is one of the last characters in this game that you want to give an opportunity to punish
    remember, if fireball elicits a shield response from little mac, go for the grab > dthrow > get rekt.
    little mac thrives in the offensive state and although he is by no means helpless in the defensive state, little mac is much more manageable when he hides in shield. if the little mac player rolls, learn to read it. luigi isn't fast enough (mobility wise) to catch his rolls on reflex. if its a spotdodge that the little mac uses after shield, go for the dash attack
  • fox trot > jab combo
    a surprisingly strong approach option. luigi's low traction makes him slide for longer distances than most characters. that being said, luigi can initiate a dash, slide and throw out the jab combo. this is capable of stuffing little mac's approaches and places the luigi player in a good position
  • OoS options : grab, nair, down-b
    it's inevitable in this matchup. little mac will be forcing us into our shields and it's important that luigi players understand their options. shield grab, nair oos and down-b oos are some of luigi's best options when pressured heavily in shield. up-b is too risky in this matchup as little mac is way too fast to nail accurately.
    a word of advice - avoid extensive shielding. excessive shielding is poor playing for any character and luigi is no exception. try throwing out a spot dodge, maybe a roll. perhaps the jab combo can shut down the approaching little mac. be creative!
  • avoid poor aerial approaches
    despite luigi's stronger air game, taking to the air is always a larger commitment option than ground approaches. little mac can upsmash the living daylights out of any unsafe luigi approaches and a poorly executed aerial approach may lead to luigi eating a super armor filled f-smash
  • off stage game
    this is little mac 101 honestly. luigi > little mac, in the air. off stage, luigi is 10 times more potent and has a greater chance of gimping little mac and his sub-par recovery.

Luigisama

Smash Champion
Lol I am not trolling when I say this.
I think the mu is 55-45 in mac's favor or 50-50.
I feel this mu is like rock paper scissors.

The only strengths in this mu is that luigi has range and a projectile. Our only weakness is our weight.
Mac just needs to get his hits in to win.

Luigi can either play smart aggressive or defensive. Also luigi getting mac in the air or offstage is a plus. Our grab would be an essential tool if only there was still grab armor.

ThegreatVaporeon1

Smash Ace
Lol I am not trolling when I say this.
I think the mu is 55-45 in mac's favor or 50-50.
I feel this mu is like rock paper scissors.

The only strengths in this mu is that luigi has range and a projectile. Our only weakness is our weight.
Mac just needs to get his hits in to win.

Luigi can either play smart aggressive or defensive. Also luigi getting mac in the air or offstage is a plus. Our grab would be an essential tool if only there was still grab armor.
I'm not understanding how Luigi has any range in this matchup. If anything, Mac has the range and the footsie game to shut everything of Luigi's down.

In the air and offstage he has an advantage, but pretty much every character has that.

Luigisama

Smash Champion
I'm not understanding how Luigi has any range in this matchup. If anything, Mac has the range and the footsie game to shut everything of Luigi's down.

In the air and offstage he has an advantage, but pretty much every character has that.
Depends on what you mean by range. Little mac side b across the stage isn't range. That his animation that puts him closer to you or his ftilt which does the same thing. I think your problem in the match up is his speed. While it may seem like he has range he doesn't. Mac is just able to move across the stage faster than luigi can thus making it easier to land his hits. He's like a sonic with 2.0 damage ratio on.

Don't be scared of mac. Shield his fsmash, ftilt or dash attack. Use your grabs to start combos and mind game him. Mix it up by dthrow follow up with a combo and then do it again, but do nothing. Watch Little is going to counter and after that punish it.

Last edited:

Wa_Black

Smash Apprentice
Depends on what you mean by range. Little mac side b across the stage isn't range. That his animation that puts him closer to you or his ftilt which does the same thing. I think your problem in the match up is his speed. While it may seem like he has range he doesn't. Mac is just able to move across the stage faster than luigi can thus making it easier to land his hits. He's like a sonic with 2.0 damage ratio on.

Don't be scared of mac. Shield his fsmash, ftilt or dash attack. Use your grabs to start combos and mind game him. Mix it up by dthrow follow up with a combo and then do it again, but do nothing. Watch Little is going to counter and after that punish it.
By more range, I think he means that all of little mac's attacks have more range than Luigi. Little Mac can just wait for Luigi to do something and whiff punish. I'm pretty sure ftilt isn't punishable, so he could just do it all day. He doesn't have to counter on the ground because he has armor. For the most part when I see a mac counter, it's to counter an edge guard.

STiCKYBULL3TZ

Smash Ace
NNID
STiCKYBULL3TZ
3DS FC
2036-9005-7675
By more range, I think he means that all of little mac's attacks have more range than Luigi. Little Mac can just wait for Luigi to do something and whiff punish. I'm pretty sure ftilt isn't punishable, so he could just do it all day. He doesn't have to counter on the ground because he has armor. For the most part when I see a mac counter, it's to counter an edge guard.
Ftilt is punishable if used too close. Also, if Mac is spamming Ftilt to pressure your sheld, you can roll behind and grab. Mario is too slow to dash grab after a Ftilt on shield so it's safe to assume Luigi is too slow also.

ThegreatVaporeon1

Smash Ace
Basically this.
@ Luigisama Luigisama I don't mean range as in his side b, I mean all of his attacks in general have more range, which makes it hard to get in, especially on flat stages like FD where you cant use platforms to your advantage.

But yeah he's beatable, it's just..given his speed and range..its tough..

Luigisama

Smash Champion
I noticed most mac players counter after they are put in the air or when they assume a combo will continue. It is almost like Mortal kombat with the combo breakers or Blazblue with burst. As an edge guard I noticed that mac players dsmash and hit you as if it were melee. Exactly similar when in Melee players will hit fox out of his up b as he gets close to the ledge.

Also as good word of advice. Unless you get a powershield or time your dodge right against little mac it would not be smart to go in on little mac because of his super armor. As I stated in my previous post he beats us up close.

@ STiCKYBULL3TZ STiCKYBULL3TZ We can't grab after a block. Luigi slides too far for that. Unless Shield DI to buffer grab is used, but obviously that would only be possible on the wii u since the 3ds doesn't have a c stick.

hey_there

Smash Journeyman
I haven't had too much trouble with Mac, but that's also probably because I haven't played a really good Mac yet. But anyway, Luigi is an aerial fighter. SH dair and fair are really spammable against Mac imo. I find Mac's a bit too fast to spam fireballs against, but once you get him in the air he's really not hard to juggle. From my experience, try not to hit him as fast when juggling so you can see a counter / dodge coming. If he dodges, that's just another grab and back into the air, or if he dodges early, then it's a free uair and back to juggling. Fair beats Jolt Haymaker when he's recovering. As long as you aren't trying to trade with his smashes, he shouldn't be too hard (compared to Rosalina or a campy Link).

I usually play really aggro against Macs because once Luigi gets in he just juggles Mac for days. I've never felt like Mac has the match-up advantage against Luigi. I'm not sure what number I'd put on it, but honestly I feel like this MU is in Luigi's favour.

Donyoku

Greed
We need match up videos!
Are there none posted in the video critique thread? I haven't been there in a while but I feel that there should be at least one video that represents both sides. I haven't played this matchup to much but from my limited experience and also not being so good myself. I think its in Mac's favor slightly because of his ground strength and speed. I feel like once Luigi gets him in the air and learns how to bait out the counters and air dodges, juggling Mac for big damage becomes much easier. I think the main reason you can have trouble is because of the speed Mac has to get in and that Luigi normally wants to approach with a mix of aerials and ground. But Mac shuts down the ground and approaching in the air can pose a problem because of his super armor on the ground.
All in all, I don't see it being a super hard match up, I would say 55-45 Mac or 60-40 Mac at the most.

Also, it seems we are near completion with all three match-ups that have been posted so far. Thanks everyone for your support! I will go to each thread and post the average of the valid match-ups given and then add it to the Main thread for it and finally open back up polls for voting again.

zhao_guang

Smash Lord
NNID
zhaoguang1
I don't have much else to add on except there's a fine line between respecting Little Mac's moves and being afraid of them.

Hesitation will get you bopped. Know what you plan to do, and do it without hesitation. However, always be ready to adapt.

Luigisama

Smash Champion
I agree with Zhao. Also I think we should consult little mac players on their opinion in the matchup.

Donyoku

Greed
I agree with Zhao. Also I think we should consult little mac players on their opinion in the matchup.
I agree is well, the only down side is that I doubt any real Mac players have given Luigi matchup any thought. Since Mac is getting a lot of attention they are probably more focused on other big characters like Rosa, ZSS, & Sheik like how we are doing. But it wouldn't hurt to ask so we can just get some quick opinions here and there.

hey_there

Smash Journeyman
Probably the best thing to do would be to go to the Mac boards, ask for some matches from Mac mains, and upload the replays. We'd have some solid matches to dissect, and we'd get some unbiased information, since it would include Mac mains that aren't scrubs.

Luigisama

Smash Champion
One thing that I want to know is how to grab little mac out of the ko punch. Have you guys seen that or know how it works?

On a side note as to seeing good mac players. I saw Vex at KTAR XI using jab in a interesting way. He would jab a few times to either get grabs or to follow up with ftilt. That could be a big threat to luigi since he is floaty.

lijero13ss

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lijero13ss
3DS FC
3024-5912-8660
If Mac isn't very good, then just wait on the edge and throw him off and gimp him for the easy KO.

If its a good Mac, then i would use fireballs to space out and go in for D Throw > Fair > etc.

Donyoku

Greed
One thing that I want to know is how to grab little mac out of the ko punch. Have you guys seen that or know how it works?

On a side note as to seeing good mac players. I saw Vex at KTAR XI using jab in a interesting way. He would jab a few times to either get grabs or to follow up with ftilt. That could be a big threat to luigi since he is floaty.
I've never seen someone grab him out of KO punch, mostly because no one is trying to get that close and get punished severely for a missed grab. That's of course if I am reading your post correctly, assuming he has the KO punch, you grab him, do a throw and he loses it. I know that will work. The only way I know to make Mac lose the punch is by letting him touch the ground after getting it and hitting him, I'm sure a throw would count as well.

STiCKYBULL3TZ

Smash Ace
NNID
STiCKYBULL3TZ
3DS FC
2036-9005-7675
Be careful of approaching a falling Mac while he has the KO punch. I've taken down many people by simply throwing it out immediately as I land. Most expect KO Punches after set ups or laggy moves. A Little Mac with no fear of throwing it out is risky but very dangerous. I've also taken down many people by simply getting up off the ledge and throwing it out so watch out for that

DJ Delta

Smash Journeyman
In all honestly I haven't had much success in this matchup, however my friend taught me something that may be useful. When little mac uses up b, you can trade with cyclone and it will soft spike him, which for little mac essentially means death. This may possible work with any up p that has a hit box. I don't want to give my opinion on the mu ratio since I haven't had too much experience playing quality little mac's offline.

Donyoku

Greed
Here is the link for the thread I made to talk with Mac mains. Some are willing to play us and have even give ratios. If anyone has the chance it would be great if they could drop by the thread and give some opinions or play them.

Last edited:

speedguy20

Smash Cadet
NNID
speedguy20
Here's a tip for anyone who wants to destroy a Lil Mac: Camp near edges, wait for him to approach, throw him off, and gimp. It's simple easy, and works as any character.

Wa_Black

Smash Apprentice
Here's a tip for anyone who wants to destroy a Lil Mac: Camp near edges, wait for him to approach, throw him off, and gimp. It's simple easy, and works as any character.
that's why good macs will be expecting it. one pivot fsmash on a throw attempt could be game over us. he can end his dash with a pivot in front of us, too far to throw, but in range for several of his kill moves.
Not to mention that before anyone loses a stock. Mac has no reason to go in. he might as well be a fortress to luigi. in order for luigi to win, he needs to grab, but all mac has to do is not get grabbed. he can just walk up ftilt all day. roll behind grab you say, dsmash he says. mac has answer for everything that is luigi, except a well timed tornado over his attack an then back into him for a punish or depending on that attack, you may be able to drop it on his head, but miss time it, and get countered, smashed, tilted, or hell even up b.

jmanup85

Smash Journeyman
NNID
jmanup85
3DS FC
1633-4569-8126
I've played this MU as Little Mac and let me tell you that if a Mac player is confident enough he he gimp Luigi while he is recovering low. I can Nair and footstool a Luigi player recovering low, or as mentioned already I can also Dsmash or Usmash. Fireballs are ok but they can be jabbed and I can keep you at a distance with ftilt and dtilt and if anything I hanve counter just in case. Utilt is also an option if you try coming from the air, it beats out nair I believe but i dunno about fair or bair.

speedguy20

Smash Cadet
NNID
speedguy20
that's why good macs will be expecting it. one pivot fsmash on a throw attempt could be game over us. he can end his dash with a pivot in front of us, too far to throw, but in range for several of his kill moves.
Not to mention that before anyone loses a stock. Mac has no reason to go in. he might as well be a fortress to luigi. in order for luigi to win, he needs to grab, but all mac has to do is not get grabbed. he can just walk up ftilt all day. roll behind grab you say, dsmash he says. mac has answer for everything that is luigi, except a well timed tornado over his attack an then back into him for a punish or depending on that attack, you may be able to drop it on his head, but miss time it, and get countered, smashed, tilted, or hell even up b.
Lol a good Mac player? You're rarely going to ever find those. Just play keep away using your fireballs, and watch for smashes. Every Lil Mac is painfully predictable.

Top Bottom