• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Luigi Tech, Strat and Setup Discussion Thread (UPDATE: 9/01/08) Torpedo "zap jump"

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
Luigi Strat and Setup Discoveries: Also a strat and Setup Discussion Thread!​

Credit for the text and background goes to mufftheboffin from deviantart.
Spritist credit is unknown so Anonymous?

So today I was messing around with Luigi and I had the idea to create this thread! Well I have seen very few threads here that can help Luigi achieve a better metagame but as we know Luigi’s metagame hasn’t been developed as much as a lot of other characters *cough* Snake *cough* ( I have nothing against Snake though don’t get me wrong :laugh: ) This thread will be used to place Luigi Strat’s/Setups/follow ups/techs.
I would like to start of this thread by saying that even though I’ll be placing my discoveries or known strats from Luigi in this post you can also contribute to the thread and I will quote your strat/setup if you have tested it on opponents and it has worked! I want this thread to be a contribution by the whole Luigi community not just one person and if any other character mainer has discovered any nice tech/strat/setup/follow up, with Luigi you can also post it here, no pressure.
I will start with posting the first interesting tactic I’ve found with Luigi today.

1) Jab Cancelling and it’s possibilities:

First of all, I think we all know what jab cancelling is right? I’m not talking about the jab>jab>grab that many people do with other chars. The jab Cancelling I’m talking about is the jab>crouch>jab>crouch> repeat. This makes the jab come out way faster than just doing jab wait for a sec then jab again were opponents can evade, dodge, short hop etc. This can be done quite quickly and the crouch as you can see by the setup cancels the other jab that might come out of the AAA combo and restart with the initial jab. Now it sounds like a relatively slow process but I first came across it on InphiEphe’s youtube channel were he describes the jab cancelling advantages for Lucario and I was amazed. So by seeing that I thought why not try that with Luigi and see what I can come up with? And so I did and I discovered some interesting setups. You can also do jab>jab>crouch>jab>jab>crouch etc. (no hip) NOTE: It can be power shielded at times but it is still and amazing tech and sets up for some amazing things.

For those who are still doubting what the Jab cancel is you can see InphiEphe’s vid “this n that” were he uses it with Lucario:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=v_lJn1f0Egw

You can also see it in action were Virtual Void does it pretty much @ 0:12-0:15 in this match:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=odgSOi2jda4

Ok on to the setups :D:

- First as you know you can do jab>crouch>jab>crouch> repeat etc. (from now on I will refer to this process as jab cancel and avoid typing all that stuff above.) The Jab Jab cancel is basically AA>crouch so when you see that I say Jab Jab cancel I mean AA>crouch.

- You can also:

a) Jab cancel into a AAA combo

b) Jab cancel into a Ftilt

c) Jab cancel into a Dtilt (note I will go in depth with this a bit later)

d) Jab cancel into a Dsmash.

e) Jab Jab cancel into AAA

f) Jab Jab cancel inot a Ftilt

g) Jab Jab cancel into a Dtilt

h) Jab Jab cancel into a Dsmash

And many others, (I haven’t tested it with all the moves Luigi has but they have awesome potential.)

- Ok now we all love upB and now this is where the jab cancel into Dtilt or Jab Jab cancel into Dtilt comes in. Now remember for this to work you have to make sure your Dtilt trips and as soon as that happens your upB is a surefire hit. So then you would have an amazing setup Jab cancel into a Dtilt>trip>upB or Jab Jab cancel into a Dtilt>trip>upB.

2) Dash Attack Cancel (also known as Snake Dashing, Mortar Slide etc.):

I haven’t seen many people do this tech, actually I’ve only seen it done on Virtual Void’s videos. Luigi gains an amazing slide distance with this, of course not the same as Link or Snake but it is still better than just dashing>up smashing which stops your momentum. It is an amazing way to space and also an amazing approach, to mix up your game from the usual aerials, fireball, or tornado approach.
-For those who don’t know how to perform a Dash attack Cancel simply start a dash>c-stick down> then immediately press up on the control stick + Z button at the same time.

Well these are my discoveries up to now and I will update it once I keep on finding new tactics/setups etc. with Luigi. I will also update it with all the information you could also have to add! So come on let’s take Luigi’s metagame to the next level.

3) Tornado Setups:

hippiedude92 said:
Luigi's downb called Luigi Cyclone, or better known as his tornado. -Taken from "Green thunder Guide"-
"(There are a total of 5 hits 2%, 2%, 2%, 2%, 4% consecutively if all hits are connected 12%)
Amazing way to get close to your opponents and even better as a recovery move. It has the ability to deflect at an angle, cancel, or stun projectiles that are thrown at you. As a recovery simply do a double jump when off stage then rapidly press DB and keep pressing the B button consecutively to rise up further, in other words this move is greatly affected by momentum."

*Edit* Okay, tornado has some potential combo setup. There's couple of ways in coming in and successfully landing this combo setup attack.Tornado come's out the fastest when it's on ground, or coming from air to ground.

1) Shorthop Fireball, followup tornado
2) Shorthop Dair, followup tornado
3) Shorthop Nair, followup tornado
4) Shorthop Fair, followup tornado
5) Shorthop U-air, followup tornado
6) Shorthop,Fastfall, then followup tornado
7) Jab Jab crouch, followup tornado.

These are the basic ones so far. There's probably more combinations. Here's a quick example of a player using a Dair to tornado. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEZPTOgsc-o
4. Semi F-tilt Lock:

Locuan said:
Semi F-tilt Lock
An in depth look​

So I've been investigating one of SamuraiPanda's discoveries. If you remember this part of his thread "3 Discoveries by SamuraiPanda":

SamuraiPanda said:
I played around with Luigi last night and discovered a few new things with him that surprised me. First was something that I'm sure is common knowledge to Luigi players, but I decided to include it anyways: Luigi's downwards Ftilt has strange properties, almost like Zelda's Dtilt. After some experimentation, I think it can work as a "jab" lock (like the laser lock but where you jab, walk forward, jab, etc.) but I apparently don't have the dexterity to pull it off consistently.

NOTE: The f-tilt has to be angled downwards.

When I started investigating the matter, it's more of a Semi Lock than a full "Jab" lock.

-Why a Semi F-tilt Lock and not an F-tilt Lock?

This is because for a full lock to work you would have to walk>F-tilt>rinse a repeat. The problem is that the speed at which the F-tilt comes out is to slow. Thus, the opponent would be able to escape the lock fairly easily.

-Then if an F-tilt Lock can be escaped how does the Semi F-tilt work?

Well the Semi F-tilt's work because as soon as the opponent is on the ground (in the manner that locks work) you can hit them with the down angled f-tilt about 4-5 times depending on the size of your opponent.

I did three tests, one with DK in which I could hit him five times without any problems.

One with Mario were depending on the distance when I started the Semi Lock I could get 4-5 hits.

I did another test with Kirby were I could get 4 hits and occasionally 5.

-So how do I perform it?

Simple as soon as the opponent falls to the ground, without teching, get close to them and then hit them with the down-angled F-tilt. Hit them about 5 times, (that's probably the most amount of hits you can do against an opponent depending on the spacing you used on your opponent.)

-It's kinda useless I mean why would I use it? It doesn't allow me to Lock through the whole stage so why would I want to know this?

Well that is kind of true. You won't be able to lock across the whole stage like other characters can, (at least with the F-tilt, I will be trying other moves to see if I can perform a full lock.) But remember that when you hit with an F-tilt it is a guaranteed 10% of damage. So if you are able to get them in a Semi-Lock and connect four or five successful hits it's a guaranteed 40-50%

-I kinda don't mind cause I can get that percentage with aerials.

Well that is true but only when the opponent is at low percents. If you catch an opponent that falls and does not tech you can hit them with the Semi-Lock at any percentages and it will still guarantee your 40-50%.

It also allows for setups as you can stop the lock in between the five hits and perform a D-tilt for example (I have to research the setups a bit more I will post them here and in my Setup Discussion thread later.)

Well this is what my latest testing has discovered and I hope you enjoy this as much as I do lol. And I will be looking to implement this into my game as fast as I can.

Any questions or doubt's that you might have on the semi-lock feel free to ask and I'll do my best to answer you.
SETUP: So after testing this thing out I finally found a set-up for the semi-lock. Of course, this is really situational as always but if your opponent does not tech quickly this is a great way to set them up for the semi-lock. Your opponent has to be approximately at 55-60% or over and you must make sure that your Dair spiked.

Dair (spike)> Semi-Lock.

5. Missile Cancel Hug (MCH):

I discovered a way to edgehog your opponent when they are recovering without having to run over to the edge and hug it in the old fashioned way. The physics behind this is that if you do your side-b and Luigi's head is off the stage but his body isn't; when he touches the floor from his green missile he will fall off-stage. Therefore, this will cancel Luigi's Side-b ending lag and if you hold toward the stage you will instantly grab it.

Working on the video!

7. U-tilt Setups:

So I did some testing on this, and I found out that at 0% you can Utilt>grab. It is really situational but it can prove great for follow up combos.

(I need more U-tilt setups :()

8. Fireball Lock:

Locuan said:
Fireball lock (It does work!)
a further look into it's properties​

First of all let me apologize to everyone who has posted before on the subject and I have said that the speed of the fireball is to slow to lock. This is somewhat true if the opponent is far away but if your opponent is close or at a mid-distance to you it does work! Also, let me point out that I do not take credit for discovering the Fireball lock etc. I just did some testing to see if it was actually real.

It works as a regular lock would work or actually better, like Falco's laser lock would.

My testing was as follows:

Your opponent has to be in mid percentages 50% approximately to be able to successfully lock him. I might be wrong in this so I need more testers! You can help out go into training mode and see what happens.

Some characters you can't completely lock but others you can.

Also, please not that the lock stops working when the opponent gets at a larger distance.

I need to test this out more but I would like the community to know this. I apologize again to anyone who had posted that it could be a potential tech but I said that it would not work.

This was mostly because since I couldn't get it to work at low percentages I thought it was impossible.

So I hope you find uses for the fireball lock! And any questions you may have I will try to answer as accurately as I can.

First I would like to thank LilWeegi for all the testing! Read the next quote!

LilWeegi said:
im about to confirm a sure way to do it in training some time soon but i usually hit them just as the smack the ground from a fall it can be timed fairly easily also id like to add i got 8 on yoshi just now untill he fell off

EDIT i just got 11 on yoshi, i use down throw shield roll away fireball away should be mid distance is very effective nice 66% off fireballs alone**that was my original thought it works for a good 6-15 shots but to get around 20 you grab down throw dash next to them when they hit the ground on there way up on the bounce fire ball your thumb off, very effective

For the below soon to be all characters, tests were done shortly and were my highest # i achieved playing of FD they may change in levels with slopes or walls to be much higher

Last edit! yay done all characters with a decent number, you can use this in the original thread post just credit LilWeegi :-) hope i finally contributed something to the luigi community, maybe a sticky if we get this thread on use in battle and set ups to it

20 vs Mario
8 vs Luigi
6 vs peach
16 vs bowser
11 vs donkey kong
18 vs diddy kong
12 vs yoshi
20 vs wario
15 vs link
6 vs zelda/shiek
22 vs ganon
10 vs toon link
16 vs samus
10 vs pit
14 vs 2 ice climbers/ 17 vs 1 ice climber
18 vs rob
15 vs Kirby
13 vs meta knight
17 vs DDD
12 vs olimar
17 vs Captain Falcon
26 vs wolf
20 vs falco
16 vs fox
16 vs pikachu
13 vs squirtle
17 vs ivysaur
15 vs charizard
20 vs lucario
22 vs jigglypuff
10 vs lucas
12 vs ness
8 vs Ike
10 vs marth
18 vs game n watch
17 vs snake
14 vs sonic

pre testing notes etc

vs the mother boys, they are very hard to get in it for what ever reason i don't recomend trying it on them due to this fact and the fact that they have a shield to absorb your fireballs and lower their %. Against ike it can be very effective but you will either get a 1-4 ish or the full 12, he is also hard to lock. Against both peach and Zelda/Shiek don't try it, it took me several times to even get 6 very low % chance of scoring this in a match

questions comments thoughts are appreciated, hope this helps a little?

and just now testing, i found in different levels the numbers can grow expodentially, i just tried out kirbys dream land melee stage and got 60 on bowser and he started bouncing so high a FB missed and hit a bomb and he died at 415% :p
9. Fire Jump Punch (Up+b) Kill chart by Hippiedude92 and Razz113:
hippiedude92 said:
For all you firepunching Luigi's out there. Razz113 and I have made a chart regarding on how much it takes to kill a certain character with Luigi's upb, his firepunch at a certain %.

Note: This was all done in training mode. All the kills were a fresh firepunch. Move decay wasn't applied nor is it applied in training mode. Also, these were all taken in the center of Final Destination. So differing stages with low or high ceilings may differ the results. Same goes with Move Decay. Also this was done without DI. If it's with DI, just apply around 10%-15% or so to each character's kill %.

Mario - 50%
Luigi Up - 50%
Peach - 45%
Bowser - 57%
DK - 61%
Diddy - 49%
Yoshi - 54%
Wario - 54%
Link - 56%
Zelda - 44%
Shiek - 44%
Ganondorf - 57%
Toon Link - 48%
Samus - 52%
Zero Suit - 44%
Pit Up - 50%
Ice Climbers - 46%
ROB -53%
Kirby - 42%
Meta Knight - 43%
DeDeDe - 64%
Olimar - 45%
Fox - 42%
Falco -47%
Wolf - 55%
Captain Falcon - 58%
Pikachu -45%
Squirtle - 52%
Ivysaur - 40%
Charizard - 55%
Lucario - 51%
Jigglypuff - 37%
Marth - 49%
Ike - 57%
Ness - 49%
Lucas - 48%
Game and Watch - 41%
Snake - 62%
Sonic - 50%

Thanks to Razz113 for helping me out and the idea of this thread ^o^!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's a table of the Aerial Fire punch.

Mario - 84%
Luigi - 84%
Peach - 77%
Bowser - 94%
Donkey Kong - 98%
Diddy Kong - 82%
Yoshi - 89%
Wario - 90%
Link - 91%
Zelda - 76%
Shiek - 75%
Ganondorf - 94%
T. Link - 81%
Samus - 87%
Zamus - 76%
Pit - 84%
ICs - 79%
ROB - 88%
Kirby - 74%
Meta Knight - 74%
DeDeDe - 103%
Olimar - 77%
Fox - 74%
Falco - 79%
Wolf - 90%
Falcon - 95%
Pikachu - 76%
Squirtle - 85%
Ivysaur - 71%
Charizard - 91%
Lucario - 85%
Jigglypuff - 66%
Marth - 82%
Ike - 93%
Ness - 83%
Lucas - 82%
Mr. G+W - 71%
Snake - 97%
Sonic - 84%

Luigi now has TWO Under 100% Kills on everyone except DeDeDe, and a bit more of half the cast can be killed under 90%.

Also, I want to note that Training Mode likes to reduce the knockback by little bits, so a fresh Fire Punch will probably kill 1-2% earlier in a real match. This applies both to Aerial and Grounded, but Aerial moreso is more affected by this because of the juiced down power. It's also easier to DI out the Aerial Fire Punch, so be wary.

All things still apply, no move decay, all done on training mode, all were done in Final Destination, no DI was performed.

If you don't know what a aerial fire punch is. It's the same as a firepunch but done in the air, with no "ping" sound and it's power is juiced down meaning it takes around 80% to kill somebody.

Here's a perfect example in the near of the end of the vid of aerial firepunch
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YI0h4SmHbOw
All credits go to SparkEd for doing the aerial fire punch table. =D
9. Green Missile (Luigi Torpedo) "Zap Jump": I just want to clarify this out. Basically this is not a "zap jump" like Lucas's. What Luigi actually does is apply the same physics from jumping and quickly tornado mashing but in this case with the missile. What you have to do is just jump and then quickly hit side-b and hold it until the peak of the jump.

After much testing I came to the conclusion that inputting the jump and side-b commands don't give you anymore reach than if jumping and then quickly pressing and holding side-b.

FUN FACT!: If done correctly you can go under final destination with this!

luigidude90

Smash Apprentice
this is a good idea man, the jab cancelling plays a big part in my game. its also good to know luigi can do the dash attack cancel, the only people i see it used with are snake and falco.

ill be playing this alot with my mates so ill test all i can and try to contribute some strats too, although beware im not a very big poster but you will see me on the luigi boards from time to time.

cmpr94x

Smash Lord
You should probably put in the grab setups ie: down throw to aerials . You should have let me to make this. I told you i wanted one:laugh:. Overall nice start, I know this will be a good guide.

luigidude90

Smash Apprentice
you should put in some stuff about crawling/scuttling as it can be useful against projectile spammers and avoiding arials sometimes. ive been looking into this since i found out about it yesterday so if i can ill post something on it tomorrow.

cmpr94x

Smash Lord
Post where? Do random people have the ability to edit the op? Hey locuan if that is possible give me the ability! I will use it for good. Maybe <_< >_> Crawl to down tilt trip to fire jump paunch equals epic! Wierd, they moved the smilies and the colors around, sea green is where green used to be.

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
cmpr94x said:
You should probably put in the grab setups ie: down throw to aerials . You should have let me to make this. I told you i wanted one. Overall nice start, I know this will be a good guide.
If you can please explain more in depth of the grab setups so we can all have a better idea, and I will quote and credit accordingly. Oh really my bad, what I read was that you wanted to do something to contribute you didn't specifically state what if I recall correctly.

luigidude90 said:
you should put in some stuff about crawling/scuttling as it can be useful against projectile spammers and avoiding arials sometimes. ive been looking into this since i found out about it yesterday so if i can ill post something on it tomorrow.
Please post some info into the area. Also, this is the first time I hear about scuttling so please do explain later on :laugh:.

To all thanks for the feedback.

And no random people don't have the ability to edit the op.

cmpr94x

Smash Lord
1) Down throw to up tilt, up tilt, up tilt, up smash, to nair, to u air etc

2) Down throw to up tilt to uair/nair to uair etc

3) Grab attack to grab release to fire to regrap. (I am still experimenting with this one.)

4) Up throw to stall to nair (the part that barely knocks them up) to jump to fire jump paunch.

5) Back throw is horrible for combos, I only use it to throw people of the stage. It is Luigi's best killing throw.

6) Back throw off the stage to bair to bair to bair to bair.

All of these throws can be chained into different things, I just gave examples. Is that good enough locuan? I have also recently realized that short hopping dairs is good for shield pressure and combos. I will experiment some more.

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
1) Down throw to up tilt, up tilt, up tilt, up smash, to nair, to u air etc

2) Down throw to up tilt to uair/nair to uair etc

3) Grab attack to grab release to fire to regrap. (I am still experimenting with this one.)

4) Up throw to stall to nair (the part that barely knocks them up) to jump to fire jump paunch.

5) Back throw is horrible for combos, I only use it to throw people of the stage. It is Luigi's best killing throw.

6) Back throw off the stage to bair to bair to bair to bair.

All of these throws can be chained into different things, I just gave examples. Is that good enough locuan?
This is good but if I'm not mistaken some of those don't work at specific percentages correct?

"Grab attack to grab release to fire to regrap. (I am still experimenting with this one.)"

- I wanna see how that turns out for you, it seems rather interesting.

cmpr94x

Smash Lord
This is good but if I'm not mistaken some of those don't work at specific percentages correct?

"Grab attack to grab release to fire to regrap. (I am still experimenting with this one.)"

- I wanna see how that turns out for you, it seems rather interesting.
All of those are basically for 0 percent/ really low percents (ie: the start of the match), but not all, the slightly touched nair to fire jump paunch works at high percents. The hitbox is very wierd. People think that at high percents it only kills. I have found that you can still use it to combo. It depends on where you hit. Uair can stage spike confirmed (on battlefield at least).

TKD+ITA+Mar=

Smash Ace
^ Another thing that works well as you get into higher percents(but not very high) is down throw -> rising tornado.

I was testing out the other ones before this, and they work very well.

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
This is great idea!! I'll post and fill in my 2 cents in quite abit. I still have to understand the concept of jab canceling x.x

EDIT: Okay I understand Jab canceling now, this is great, it's perfect for superpunch. But I'm just wondering, the objective of this thread is to exploit and discuss the setups and combos and it uses of Luigi? Correct me if I'm wrong here.

cmpr94x

Smash Lord
hey locuan, Luigi has a decent hyphen smash and if you have trouble timing that you can just do his sliding up smash. (Luigi starts dashing and you press up and a at the same time to charge the smash... Luigi slides while doing this)

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
I was wondering if we can include tornado setups? It's a really good setup, some of the luigi players dont know when or even dont use it at all. For example, a shorthop fireball followup with a tornado, a SH, Dair, to Tornado and so on.. You'll catch my drift.

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
hippiedude92 said:
EDIT: Okay I understand Jab canceling now, this is great, it's perfect for superpunch. But I'm just wondering, the objective of this thread is to exploit and discuss the setups and combos and it uses of Luigi? Correct me if I'm wrong here.
Yes in order to develop his meta-game.

hippiedude92 said:
I was wondering if we can include tornado setups? It's a really good setup, some of the luigi players dont know when or even dont use it at all. For example, a shorthop fireball followup with a tornado, a SH, Dair, to Tornado and so on.. You'll catch my drift.
Of course, and could you explain in a bit more detail?

cmpr94x said:
hey locuan, Luigi has a decent hyphen smash and if you have trouble timing that you can just do his sliding up smash. (Luigi starts dashing and you press up and a at the same time to charge the smash... Luigi slides while doing this)
Yea that's my number two strat when I developed the thread but it's not quite hyphen smash it's instead a Dash attack cancel were you can charge the U-smash while sliding the distance.

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
Luigi's downb called Luigi Cyclone, or better known as his tornado. -Taken from "Green thunder Guide"-
"(There are a total of 5 hits 2%, 2%, 2%, 2%, 4% consecutively if all hits are connected 12%)
Amazing way to get close to your opponents and even better as a recovery move. It has the ability to deflect at an angle, cancel, or stun projectiles that are thrown at you. As a recovery simply do a double jump when off stage then rapidly press DB and keep pressing the B button consecutively to rise up further, in other words this move is greatly affected by momentum."

*Edit* Okay, tornado has some potential combo setup. There's couple of ways in coming in and successfully landing this combo setup attack.Tornado come's out the fastest when it's on ground, or coming from air to ground.

1) Shorthop Fireball, followup tornado
2) Shorthop Dair, followup tornado
3) Shorthop Nair, followup tornado
4) Shorthop Fair, followup tornado
5) Shorthop U-air, followup tornado
6) Shorthop,Fastfall, then followup tornado
7) Jab Jab crouch, followup tornado.

These are the basic ones so far. There's probably more combinations. Here's a quick example of a player using a Dair to tornado. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEZPTOgsc-o

Guilhe

Smash Ace
Luigi doesn't have a very promissing jab (from what I have seen so far). Why should he jab insted of using his sliding, quick and powerful, Dsmash?

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
Luigi doesn't have a very promissing jab (from what I have seen so far). Why should he jab insted of using his sliding, quick and powerful, Dsmash?
It's better to jab then Dsmash because it helps you rack up damage faster and you followup after you jab cancel giving you a variety of options. I prefer Dsmash as the killing move or as I like to call it, "breakdance" attack.

cmpr94x

Smash Lord
Because jab canceling allows you to go into "combos." What is better, fire jump paunch or uncharged down smash?

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
Please, How do u Jab cancle?
If you want to see it in a vid, the link is posted up in the first page were I give a link to InphiEphe's This n That Lucario vid were he explains it with Lucario (works in the same manner as Luigi.) Also it's posted there I show you how to do it in my post as it reads:

jab>crouch>jab>repeat.

I recommend watching InphiEphe's vid though it's really helpful in visualizing the technique.

luigidude90

Smash Apprentice
@locuan128
sorry for the confusion but scuttling is what i call crawling cos thats what it looks like hes doing.

on to my contribution to crawling. this is something i never see used but agianst projectile spammers can give a different approach to tornadoing or shielding. as you know with shielding you have to come to a complete stop whereas with crawling you can avoid the projectiles and continue moving toward your opponent.

you can also do smashes or tilts out of crawling if you quickly let go of down on the control stick then input the desired move.

hope this helps a little and if others could have a look into it and see if they can find out anything else.

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
@locuan128
sorry for the confusion but scuttling is what i call crawling cos thats what it looks like hes doing.

on to my contribution to crawling. this is something i never see used but agianst projectile spammers can give a different approach to tornadoing or shielding. as you know with shielding you have to come to a complete stop whereas with crawling you can avoid the projectiles and continue moving toward your opponent.

you can also do smashes or tilts out of crawling if you quickly let go of down on the control stick then input the desired move.

hope this helps a little and if others could have a look into it and see if they can find out anything else.
A yes I see what you mean crawling under projectiles, I do that quite often when facing a projectile spammer but it really depends on which one because let's say it's Pit or TL, a falling tornado kinda eats up their projectiles (xept TL's bombs).

Either way, nice contribution although I believe that this would be better if placed in the Luigi guide. *Goes and updates lol*

cmpr94x

Smash Lord
There is a difference between fire jump punch and fire jump paunch. Hey locuan check my new sig. Fire jump paunch will hit after crouch cancel/jab cancel.

cmpr94x

Smash Lord
Don't worry it is easier than it sounds, Luigi causes tripping a lot. Unless you are really unlucky, they trip like 1/3 of the time.

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
He has to trip to peform the move? So it isn't a true combo.
No, but there's other way's in getting the fire jump punch such as, mentioned in this guide "jab canceling". You can jab jab crouch then jab fire jump punch.

Btw, Loucan, I've updated my post about setups for tornado on I think the last page. Hope it help's to contribution abit.

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
He has to trip to peform the move? So it isn't a true combo.
Actually it is because if we go to the definition of combo:

thefreedictionary.com said:
In fighting games, combo specifically indicates a timed sequence of moves which produce a cohesive series of hits. The combo requires that an initial hit connects. This hit is then followed by an often predetermined sequence of other hits, each of which leaves the opponent unable or almost unable to block or otherwise avoid the following hit(s) in the sequence.
The tripping action disables the opponent from blocking or avoiding the following hit that will come in the sequence. A trip isn't a hit on a whole, but it disables your opponent from doing any type of action that might enable him to break free from the incoming fire jump punch, they might be saved by the bad timing an opponent takes while executing the move.

I will read your post now hippiedude92 and I will edit this post to make a reply.

EDIT: Awesome added them to the first page and gave rightful credit :D.

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
Ok so I think I've found another setup for the jab crouch cancel but I haven't tested it much, and right now I don't have the time.

It's:

Jab> Crouch Cancel (CC) (you could repeat the process if you want)> grab

So I haven't tested it as much as I said before but if anyone of you tests it and finds if it works or not it would be much appreciated :).

WIGI

Smash Champion
sweetness, i shal impliment this now, might even come in handing with the rapid fire cancel.

anywho, anyone have a video showing luigi doing the dash canceled upsmash?

Top Bottom