• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Luigi Strategies

Loxo

Smash Rookie
Any of you willing to share any Luigi strategies for against anyone?

- rko -

Smash Apprentice
Meh, I might aswell give it a shot. A strategie Im working on as of today is always trying to approach with the tornado, but in such a way that it doesent get predictable. And when Im not doing the former, Im using aerial2fireball to keep my opponent at bay and finally only doing an aerial when there is an opening for it, because its quite unsafe to approach with against half of the cast. So thar ya go Loxo, hope it helps abit.

holyv

Smash Journeyman
JuxtaposeX

Can you stop being such a ****ing *******, troll in another forum, and at least try to act like normal ****ing people? i ain't even mad, i'm just telling you, you are an ******* sometimes.

--------

Try using fireballs against shieldgrabbers (shorthop fireball would do a really good job), DO NOT use dash attack, cancel your dash with shield and try doing something else (See up smash and up b out of shield), Dair, fair, uair can link to nair and make 20%+, Don't spam the same move over and over, you will stale it and it will become weak.

Dealing with side-steppers, up-b, just predict their roll and UP-B!!!

Angle your fsmash up
Don't use the move side-b unless you're in a kind of shield mindgame or recovering.

Here's a few combos you should try:

Dair(Feet hitbox)>Sourspot nair>2 Up tilts>Fair
Dthrow>Dair(Meteor smash)> Side tilt>Side tilt> Side tilt>Jab1>UP-B!
Dthrow>Fair>Fair>Nair

Dair = Down air
Nair = Neutral air
etc.

TreK

Is "that guy"
Dash attack is good on the ledge. Sometimes.

And side B is sooooo fkin easy to hit with on landing. Just make sure you can charge it enough so the opponent can't get hit and still punish you if you don't misfire.

Other than that... Predict, punish, see patterns, punish, don't have patterns, don't get punished. Simple game experience will get you far as Luigi. Your range and movement style as Luigi allows for awesome baiting tactics with bair, nado, nair, jabs, tilts and pshields.

J.Miller

Smash Apprentice
NNID
J.Miller91
Can take or leave these suggestions but I'm not trying to troll here, think there is a fair bit too much of that.
Walking as a approach, not to say not dash but for when you need to makes powersheilding less of a issue when you really cannot afford to get hit by anything. Specially if you are looking to keep applying pressure, a normal sheild is just not good enough seeing as we will get pushed out and have to make our back in.

Mixing up recovery options our recovery is good but pretty damn predictable and I would say most of the time you wanna recover as high as possible, ledge game for luigi is very weak due to range and attack animations being fairly easy to punish once your opponent learns them so pretty much leaves us with only jumping as a option but you gotta mix up recovery options if you have been put in that situation with as luigi won't be too uncommon especially in bad match ups.

Zoning- It's not always about trying to rush in, fireballs are not the greatest projectile to have but they are useful and can be effecttive, 6% for damage is not horrfic and for space control they work to a acceptable point. Use them mid-screen to where your opponent is as you fire them out they are no good up close and I don't suggest getting into a projectile war either, YOU WILL LOSE. It's just not to forget fireballs are there and they do serve a purpose.
Luigi's first jab can cancel into alot of luigi's moves, and dependant on the characters it can be death or just a great way to build damage, there is a thread here someone did a brilliant job on.
There is more I could suggest but I have written alot as it... so I hope you find any of this helpful.

Luigisama

Smash Champion
I'll be as brief as I can. My luigi is weird in terms of playstyle.
-spam upsmash as both anti air and a protection move. It has invici frames.
-Use Luigi's slides to the best of your ability
-Finger bang is good to learn.
-Mix up jabs on characters. Ie jab twice hold shield against characters like Falco, fox, or ZSS. Jab twice and improvise from there.
-Get rid of RCO lag.
-learn to rise with cyclone without jumping
-fireballs are your friends and can be used to connect moves.

DBSammy

Smash Ace
-Jab mixups like jab>grab, double jab>grab, jab>Nair
-Mixup Cyclone approaches
-lrn2powershield
-Bair can WoP
-USmash has invincibility frames on his head only on each frame the hitbox is out

:phone:

DE_Desti

Smash Journeyman
Many people think, luigi must be play nervous and should act like he's coffein addict lol

1. Stay cool! Don't get nervous or you're out.

2. Learn to control your Character nearly perfectly

3. Know your Ranges and recovery

4. In the Match, stay calm, don't rush to your oppenent, try to learn his way to play, his way to read you moves, his way to read your patterns.

Why? You can be so annoying, if you fake your own patterns and punish him easily (espiacally Luigi Fsmash or UpB ^^ )

5. Best out of shield is Dsmash (not my favorite) ; Utilt (is really awesome) or Jab (hell Yeah!!)

6. If you jump, try to do Nair or Double Jump fast and FFSD (fastfall spotdogde) on ground to get back on the field. (not against MK and ZSS)

7. Don't overuse your USmash (really good way to kill, and try to Reverse USmash, hitbox is much bigger in the back)

8. Play, play, play, you need experience, and playing against people is the best way to learn how to play.

9. Win the game, learn to speak italian and how to cook spaghettis (Y)

jbandrew

Smash Lord
You can play reaaaally ballsy and go for predicted misfires alot. When I want to have fun, I pick Luigi and start predicting misfires when I think it'll kill my opponent, even sending luigi offstage with it sometimes or chasing them in the air. lmao. just have fun :grin:

Luigisama

Smash Champion
How are you able to pivot Luigi's sliding upsmash?
oh my gosh. This is another muscle memory move. Best way to do it is taking off tap jump. You would basically run then turn around and as you turn around input upsmash. Then it should come out.

holyv

Smash Journeyman
i just Run, pivot, up+z

-------

It's really annoying to jump with Y, i always end up changing to the tap jump anyways because i do most of my jobs by aerials.
Is this wrong?

Luigisama

Smash Champion
i just Run, pivot, up+z

-------

It's really annoying to jump with Y, i always end up changing to the tap jump anyways because i do most of my jobs by aerials.
Is this wrong?
no not really. I like tap jump on to. It's easier for me to do followups in the air with it.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
What are good ways to recover with Luigi? That tends to be the one thing that really stands out as a weakness for me, I have a hard time getting back onstage.

Luigisama

Smash Champion
What are good ways to recover with Luigi? That tends to be the one thing that really stands out as a weakness for me, I have a hard time getting back onstage.
This is could be hard to comprehend, but you can
let go of the ledge and jump fireball onto the stage
let go of the ledge and cyclone onto the stage
get up normally doesn't hurt
idk how to do this, but I've seen boss and Yoshq do it. They dair the moment they jump onto the stage.

There are other ways, but these are the basic ones. Watch videos of Good luigis like Boss, Biglou, Yoshq, or Jbandrew. They display most of Luigi's tatics.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
I actually meant more on the recovery side. What are safe ways to recover?

Exceladon City

Smash Hero
Learning to vibrate your thumb, index finger or whatever finger you feel comfortable doing that with on the the b button as to get more inputs.

Check out Boss and Mr. ConCon, they are the mainly Luigis that do it. Granted, I've Coney do it in Brawl-.

Luigisama

Smash Champion
How do you rise with cyclone without jumping?
if you have mario party. Any game that involves mashing one button play that and do that for cyclone. Don't push down too much or you'll fast fall then the cyclone won't get any height. Just practice it and you'll get it down. I still have trouble getting high with cyclone like boss does, but every once in awhile I get it.

BSP

Smash Legend
You mash B as much as possible during cyclone to rise without jumping

Saving your DJ with Luigi is also really smart, and that's where being able to do a jumpless-rising cyclone is really useful.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Aw man, I was hoping the was some special way to do it that didnt involve mashing the button lol.

Welp, guess I gotta learn how to press buttons faster lol.

Jdietz43

BRoomer
BRoomer
Well, most of it comes with practice: but here's some general tips that should come ASAP to better your game that I learned eventually. (keep in mind my Luigi style is not... how you say... typical of Luigi in general)

-U-tilt all Fsmashes (unless it wouldn't hit in that case)
-D-tilt most Ftilts (same as above)
-Good opponents will nearly never be killed by an Fsmash as they'll dance out of range, but it shouldn't stop you from doing them constantly as a fear tactic as it's very fast, spammable, and rewarding on hit
-Get good at turning Fsmash around on the fly, many a stock have been won smashing one way then the other (up on control stick, left or right on C-stick then reverse)
-Always recover high unless you have a good reason not to (tornado up, then missile in)
-Learn when and when not to powershield, abuse your low traction out of hit and shield to escape sticky situations and make your opponents frustrated to play you (and more likely to become aggressive enough to be Jab>UpB'd)
-Dthrow leads to good things at low percent
-DEAR GOD LEARN TO JAB CANCEL <----- (is still not good enough at this)
-Bair like it was your job, you can do more than one a jump: abuse it
-Dtaunt spikes are funny, but unless you're trolling don't try it in tourney if you aren't prepared to hand them a stock
-Misfire will win you sets against Sago, Hunger, and Quik
-When all else fails Nair

I could write a dissertation on Nair. It will save you from everything: literally everything. Chaingrab? Nair. MK tornado? Nair. Car crash? NAIR! Then follow up with Utilt or Up B at low percents to put the fear of god in them. If you don't know what's going on anymore that's a good indication you should probably be mashing Nair out of SDI.

If you still don't understand when where and how to Fsmash, let me link you a vid that should explain everything: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWRyj5cHIQA

CRODD

Smash Apprentice
Moves that work after a grab release on Wario? I'm trying tilted up forward smash and it seems legit not sure yet tho. Anything else?

Top Bottom