• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Luigi Stage Discussion

Exceladon City

Smash Hero
So, in a feeble attempt to breathe life into this thread and try to get this character rolling again, I've decided to start a stage discussion thread.

:luigi2:LUIGI STAGE DISCUSSION THREAD:luigi2:

Okay, so as expected we should tackle the neutral stages:

:lylat:/:fdb:/:castlesiege:/:battlefieldb:/:yoshisb:/:ps1:/:smashville:

A vote should be held to decide on which stage to discuss.

I'd vote to start on Smashville since it's probably the most familiar and it would more than likely get picked for discussion pretty quickly and moved out of the way for less played stages.

[COLLAPSE="Smashville"]:smashville:

-General Stage Utilities-

"Reasonably small for against campers, reasonably big for... whatever luigi uses big stages for. Recovering low is less risky here because it's harder to get stage spiked, and the platform being over the edge might **** them up." - YoshQ

"Well, it's common knowledge to hit the balloon to refresh your moveset. It's pretty detrimental to Luigi as he doesn't have any reliable ways to do that outside of jabs." - Dib

-Moving Platform Utilities-

"Endless platform cancel mindgames. Use luigi's platform pressure combined platform cancel grabs to make them very uncomfortable. Get them randomly stuck on the platform during your combo for fun air pressure times." - YoshQ

"The platform can be used to get rid of RCO lag from using Up b when it comes by Luigi."
"The platform is closer to the ceiling so Luigi can get early ko's." - LuigiSama

"The platform is extremely useful for offstage pressuring for any character and Luigi isn't an exception to that rule." - Dib

-Luigi Benefits-

"Luigi's Fireball game imo is better here than anywhere else. Not too long where it becomes useless, not too short where you're cramped up next to the opponent when his fireballs have terrible end lag." - Norcal Deez
[/COLLAPSE]

[COLLAPSE="Battlefield"]:battlefieldb:

-Platform Usage-

"Plenty of platforms for Luigi to apply platform pressure on his opponent.
Edge slip tactics that can be used on the characters in this video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyFtJDxsqMs " - LuigiSama

"The 3 platforms provide damn near immaculate cover for Luigi to gain decent stage control and pressure with fireballs. As well as they give him the ability to pressure with Utilts, Usmash and all of his aerials." - Dib

"The platforms help a little for mixing up recoveries. SH Fair and SH Bair hit through the lower platforms, so you can safely pressure most characters that don't have a DP unlike MK and Marth. The controlling the center of the stage is what you should aim for against most characters that can't camp Luigi." - Dib

"Luigi has a frame trap up-b on alot of the characters when they edge slip from the platforms.
Just do the normal aerial shield pressure underneath them until they slip off and *insert up-b sound here* free stock. Similar to the fireball lock, which would be a better thing to do if the opponent isn't in kill % yet. Characters I found hard to do this to(due to their floatiness and ability to DI as they free-fall) are:

-Wario
-Pit
-Marth*
~List is incomplete~

Marth suffers from less free fall lag so it's only frame perfect if you can do it to him :\
The other 2 have great mobility but it is STILL POSSIBLE to do it. Just read the DI." - Norcal Deez[/collapse]

[collapse=Castle Siege]:castlesiege:

1st Transformation

"-low celing early kills for luigi
- both platforms allow for Platform pressure and good movement for Luigi.
- slanted stage floor allows for Luigi to play defensive with fireballs on the left side of the stage. The slant changes the direction of the fireballs to a 65 degree angle towards the opponent." - LuigiSama

"A little awkward since it's REALLY small. Fireball camp has to be precise since if PS'd, it spells damage taken. I prefer to do the so called obsolete Aerial zoning so they don't come near me and wait for either the shift phase(in-between room or whatever you wanna call it) or the inner castle phase.
Killing is easier here since it's the smallest of the 4. Be wary of the edges since it is possible to get gimped a.k.a. Blacked, as we call it on norcal, during recovery." - Norcal Deez

"I am not too fond of Castle Siege to be honest. I feel like that your starting position really affects how the match is going to go. Luigi is really strong at the lower-left side of the stage but in a bad way on the higher-right side. He controls so much more space on the left side. The right side, he forced to approach on because his fireballs aren't altered in trajectory and he doesn't benefit at all on the higher end of anything.

You can make aerials a little safer by fastfalling them on the slope as it causes you to slide away." - Dib

Shift Phase(1 & 2)

"If Chaingrab(D3) or at low % vs Falco, this is pretty much the stay-away-and-run-like-a-***** part of the match, as one grab can be a free stock for them. Other than that killing is a bit tougher horizontally, but c'mon... it's Luigi - Kills @ 50% and up lol. I digress... Nothing too special here but just be aware of what the next phase is, because you could put yourself in a REALLY bad position if you stray on the outer parts prior to Phase 1 or Phase 4." - Norcal Deez

2nd Transformation

"- blast zones at the left and right allow for early bthrow kills
- the platforms make it easier to get away from chaingrabbing characters
-Statue provides extend hitboxes" - LuigiSama

"Using the sculptures to extend hitboxes is the best <3. I was talking to Sean to see if I could get better info on how hitting stuff like the sculptures affects moves and I didn't get too much other than that Disjointed moves will get bigger hitboxes and last for a longer time, i.e. Lucas' Up-smash. Whereas MK's D-Smash just stays out a tad longer. So with that, I interpreted with a little theorycrafting that Our F-Smash & D-Smash will stay out a bit longer, but our Up-smash will get a considerable boost in size for the hitboxes. Up-B is the same as F/D-Smashes. Down-B goes extra squirrely on the statues too. Again just theorycrafting :\.

Anyways, back to the stage layout. A lot of room to camp. Kill % should be similar to that of SV. You can Down-B from the ground to the awning things on the side...just a random tidbit." - Norcal Deez.

"This is notorious for being the "Run the **** away if you're in the lead or are a chaingrab-able character fighting D3" stage. If I had to pick my favorite of the Castle Siege formations, it would be this one. The statues provide excellent cover from characters with better projectiles and even though it's a double-edged sword, you can refresh your moves on the statues. They also extend hitboxes and Usmash is definitely useful here." - Dib

3rd Transformation

"-stage tilts and can allow for early kills for luigi
- against some projectiles like Falco's laser Luigi can crouch behind the elevated portion of the stage and not get hurt." - LuigiSama

"That little lip on the center-left of the rock can help manipulate fireball game, but don't over-centralize your positioning there. It can help with getting out of CG's. The stage tilts just like Lylat Cruise, so keep in mind on how to recover here. I've been blacked there a couple times and it ain't fun. Now that I think about it, this place is, size-wise, close to BF, maybe smaller. That should give you guys a ballpark on kill %." - Norcal Deez

"The final part of this level is not particularly beneficial for Luigi. It's essentially FD and Lylat combined. It's tilting makes it harder to recover and with it being long and mostly flat it doesn't help for approaching or dealing with camping.

It's not a solid CP imo." - Dib
[/COLLAPSE]

[collapse=Lylat Cruise]:lylat:

"-Lylat tilts up and down ruining any kind of spacing and moves

-There are platforms so Luigi use the platforms in any way he wants.

-Depending on the way the ship is tilted Luigi can use the tilt to manipulate the direction of his fireball. Also if luigi is on the left side of the ship while it is tilted like this --> \ it makes it hard for him to grab the edge with up b. Lastly it becomes difficult to snap edge with Luigi missile." - LuigiSama

"Going off of what BC said, Fireball camp game CAN get tricky a bit. Using the slants and the ship tilting movement can help with some camping. You can Platform Cancel here depending on the stage position. If it's leaning to the left: You can PC on the Middle and Left Platforms, but not the right one. If leaning to the right: You can PC the Middle and Right Platforms, but not the left one. If it is neutral: You can do it to all of them.

Killing vertically is a bit tougher, since this stage has one of the higher ceilings in the map selections. Try for more stage gimps if you can, or do it the ol' fashioned way and just beat em up till they're at Kill %.

I honestly don't like this stage for Luigi, despite the Ledge-Slip Up-B works here, it's just too much going on for the stage itself to make it a solid pick to go here. If you're one of those Sqweegees that like oddball stages like this, by all means go for it, but Luigi does better on the 3 neutrals imo.

Idk who you'd want to take here besides maybe a Marth or anyone's recovery that is similar to that(CF & Mario), but if you are taken here... that's a whole other story." - Norcal Deez

"I really like this stage.

-The platforms help for steady stage coverage whether it be in the air or on the ground.

-The tilting allows for platform canceling, which can be used to pressure your opponents.

-The low height of the side platforms makes Usmash useful for shield pressuring and poking from below.

-The slants makes it easier to avoid lasers and other projectiles.

-Lower ceiling for easier kills

-The tilting angles fireballs for more vertical zoning.

It's not a terrible stage at all for Luigi. Yes, the tilting can be a bit of an issue but all in all, it's pretty good for Luigi." - Dib [/collapse]

Luigisama

Smash Champion
Sure I'll vote smashville to. I like this idea, but I don't think a lot will be found out for Luigi for some stages.

BSP

Smash Legend
Well, it can't hurt.

Sure, let's go with Smashville since you're going to be on it at least once in 90% of sets.

CRODD

Smash Apprentice
Smashville sounds good, all of luigis fans are there in the background :)

yoshq

Smash Master
Luigi's Platform cancel > Up-B is THE most flashiest **** ever done to date for Luigi-kind. YoshQ did it to me in a 5$ MM @ Genesis2 XD. Smashville~
oh yeahhh! did that get saved? good times ****ting on you bro. then getting buttsexed by sean right after, i believe
Sounds sexy. Yosh might have to show me the ways of being a beast if I go to Don't Blink.
nahh, no melee, not goin. i'll proly see ya next month tho!

Smashville:
Endless platform cancel mindgames. Use luigi's platform pressure combined platform cancel grabs to make them very uncomfortable. Get them randomly stuck on the platform during your combo for fun air pressure times. Reasonably small for against campers, reasonably big for... whatever luigi uses big stages for. Recovering low is less risky here because it's harder to get stage spiked, and the platform being over the edge might **** them up.

Luigisama

Smash Champion
Well here is my info on it.
-The balloon can be used to recover above your opponent or to avoid possible spikes with Luigi missile because luigi stays in the air for awhile after he hits the balloon.

-The platform can be used to get rid of RCO lag from using Up b when it comes by Luigi.

-The platform is closer to the ceiling so Luigi can get early ko's

On some characters Fthrow can be used at mid percents like 40% to throw the opponent onto the platform and start a fireball lock because they go into flop animation. Also fthrow onto the platform and force the opponent into flop animation and then read their get up and then use nair.
^ sounds like theory crafting or Di dependent on the fthrow, but I've pulled this off several times.

Luigisama

Smash Champion
I think Smashville has pretty much been covered. Basic stage and doesn't really give a lot of strengths to a lot of characters besides Snake with his c4 and explosives and Metaknight with his shuttle loop cancel.

The Nutz of Norcal Deez

Smash Apprentice
oh yeahhh! did that get saved? good times ****ting on you bro. then getting buttsexed by sean right after, i believe.
yeah we saved that whole set on i think either Atomsk's Wii or one of the Washington players' Wii. I remember those details only because Sean said to save them and that the hotel room did belong to WA. Atomsk was there and I'm guessing it might have been his Wii cuhz i know one of the three Wiis in that room had his name on it o_O

Luigi's Fireball game imo is better here than anywhere else. Not too long where it becomes useless, not too short where you're cramped up next to the opponent when his fireballs have terrible end lag. Platform games are cool here. Someone who expects alot of aerial pressure when they are on the platform will get mind blown from a Platform Cancel(PC) to Platform Drop Aerial or simply PC to a smash. IIRC, SV is the smallest off the 3 offline neutrals(BF, FD, SV), so taking heavy characters that just suck butt at dying, or characters that camp should be brought here.

If we're moving on then let's motion to Battlefield <3 - my favorite Luigi stage.

Luigisama

Smash Champion
I vote for battlefield to.

Hmm I didn't think about his fireball game.

Not sure if there is anything else that needs to be added about Smashville.

Luigisama

Smash Champion
Luigi stage discussion is fail. jk

Well I'll wait for a 3rd vote for BF. Until then I'll try to think of stuff for Battlefield.

Exceladon City

Smash Hero
Well, it's common knowledge to hit the balloon to refresh your moveset. It's pretty detrimental to Luigi as he doesn't have any reliable ways to do that outside of jabs.

The platform is extremely useful for offstage pressuring for any character and Luigi isn't an exception to that rule.

But yeah, it's a pretty average stage. I'd be down to discuss Battlefield next too.

DBSammy

Smash Ace
I had heard from somewhere that Luigi has a fireball lock? So that means we could do: Forced Edge Slip> Fireball Lock> some random followup?

:phone:

Luigisama

Smash Champion
I had heard from somewhere that Luigi has a fireball lock? So that means we could do: Forced Edge Slip> Fireball Lock> some random followup?

:phone:
exactly, but we have very limited setups unless you play some guy who doesn't get up after flop animation.

Cool I like the update.

Exceladon City

Smash Hero
Battlefield is like Luigi's staple neutral. Nice size and the 3 platforms provide damn near immaculate cover for Luigi to gain decent stage control and pressure with fireballs. As well as they give him the ability to pressure with Utilts, Usmash and all of his aerials.

I've gotta head to work, I'll add more when I get home later. As well as updating the OP.

Exceladon City

Smash Hero
Adding on to Battlefield, the platforms do help a little for mixing up recoveries.

SH Fair and SH Bair hit through the lower platforms, so you can safely pressure most characters that don't have a DP unlike MK and Marth.

The controlling the center of the stage is what you should aim for against most characters that can't camp Luigi. Such as Wario.

The Nutz of Norcal Deez

Smash Apprentice
I posted before I believe in the Social thread that Luigi has a frame trap up-b on alot of the characters when they edge slip from the platforms. Just do the normal aerial shield pressure underneath them until they slip off and *insert up-b sound here* free stock. Similar to the fireball lock, which would be a better thing to do if the opponent isn't in kill % yet. Characters I found hard to do this to(due to their floatiness and ability to DI as they free-fall) are:

-Wario
-Pit
-Marth*
~List is incomplete~

Marth suffers from less free fall lag so it's only frame perfect if you can do it to him :\
The other 2 have great mobility but it is STILL POSSIBLE to do it. Just read the DI.

Luigisama

Smash Champion
^ oh yeah you did mention that. This is useful when the opponent is in kill percent. Also according to that post you said that Upair is a good way to set it up.

Well doesn't seem like there is anything else to say about Battlefield. Next stage

Exceladon City

Smash Hero
Updated the BF write up. It's still incomplete. Gotta do stage analysis and all that jazz. I'll be out schooling some Peach main around here in the Art of Weegee. So, I'll update the rest when I get back. Feel free to throw out any other info. I'm thinking of doing Castle Siege next.

Luigisama

Smash Champion
Castle siege
1st transformation

-low celing early kills for luigi
- both platforms allow for Platform pressure and good movement for Luigi.
- slanted stage floor allows for Luigi to play defensive with fireballs on the left side of the stage. The slant changes the direction of the fireballs to a 65 degree angle towards the opponent.

2nd transformation
- blast zones at the left and right allow for early bthrow kills
- the platforms make it easier to get away from chaingrabbing characters
-Statue provides extend hitboxes

3rd transformation
-stage tilts and can allow for early kills for luigi
- against some projectiles like Falco's laser Luigi can crouch behind the elevated portion of the stage and not get hurt.

The Nutz of Norcal Deez

Smash Apprentice
Castle Seige. Here's just my input on it. On a scale of 1-5 mushrooms, I'd give it a 3/5 on places to go.

Starter Phase: A little awkward since it's REALLY small. Fireball camp has to be precise since if PS'd, it spells damage taken. I prefer to do the so called obsolete Aerial zoning so they don't come near me and wait for either the shift phase(in-between room or whatever you wanna call it) or the inner castle phase.
Killing is easier here since it's the smallest of the 4. Be wary of the edges since it is possible to get gimped a.k.a. Blacked, as we call it on norcal, during recovery.

Shift Phase(1 & 2): If Chaingrab(D3) or at low % vs Falco, this is pretty much the stay-away-and-run-like-a-***** part of the match, as one grab can be a free stock for them. Other than that killing is a bit tougher horizontally, but c'mon... it's Luigi - Kills @ 50% and up lol. I digress... Nothing too special here but just be aware of what the next phase is, because you could put yourself in a REALLY bad position if you stray on the outer parts prior to Phase 1 or Phase 4.

Inner Castle Phase(Phase 3): Using the sculptures to extend hitboxes is the best <3. I was talking to Sean to see if I could get better info on how hitting stuff like the sculptures affects moves and I didn't get too much other than that Disjointed moves will get bigger hitboxes and last for a longer time, i.e. Lucas' Up-smash. Whereas MK's D-Smash just stays out a tad longer. So with that, I interpreted with a little theorycrafting that Our F-Smash & D-Smash will stay out a bit longer, but our Up-smash will get a considerable boost in size for the hitboxes. Up-B is the same as F/D-Smashes. Down-B goes extra squirrely on the statues too. Again just theorycrafting :\.

Anyways, back to the stage layout. A lot of room to camp. Kill % should be similar to that of SV. You can Down-B from the ground to the awning things on the side...just a random tidbit.

Lava Domain(Phase 4): That little lip on the center-left of the rock can help manipulate fireball game, but don't over-centralize your positioning there. It can help with getting out of CG's. The stage tilts just like Lylat Cruise, so keep in mind on how to recover here. I've been blacked there a couple times and it ain't fun. Now that I think about it, this place is, size-wise, close to BF, maybe smaller. That should give you guys a ballpark on kill %.

holyv

Smash Journeyman
Sorry i edited this post because i said random stuff about siege and i had the point missed, sorry.

Luigisama

Smash Champion
Sorry for my inactivity on the thread. Been kinda lazy. I'm gonna put my write up for this up and update everything and move on to voting for Lylat.

After work. So about 3-3:30 central time.
oh man Lylat. That stage is so weird on so many levels.

Luigisama

Smash Champion
2nd vote and here's my input.

-Lylat tilts up and down ruining any kind of spacing and moves

-There are platforms so Luigi use the platforms in any way he wants.

-Depending on the way the ship is tilted Luigi can use the tilt to manipulate the direction of his fireball. Also if luigi is on the left side of the ship while it is tilted like this --> \ it makes it hard for him to grab the edge with up b. Lastly it becomes difficult to snap edge with Luigi missile.

Top Bottom