• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Luigi Q&A - Ask your Luigi questions here!

AdibM

Smash Rookie
I apologize if this has already been asked as I only read through the first page, but I've seen a tactic where some people use Luigi Cyclone off the edge and are able to do a little "jump" resulting from it, allowing them to get back up to the edge. An example of this little jump can be found in 1:53 here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sah4rVhiQi4

I've been a Luigi player on SSBM since I got the game in '01 (though I can't judge my skill :laugh:) but I've been unable to successfully execute this tactic since I first heard of it nigh on a year ago.

Thanks! :)

AdibM

Smash Rookie
Check the sticky on the Luigi boards ;)
Ah I had skipped that one; thank you so much! That cyclone jump really does require dexterous thumbs (or an index finger in my pathetic case :laugh:), it's taking me a lot of practice to nail it. I also never knew just how useful Luigi's Nair move was; it's a huge help during gameplay.

Thanks again! :)

LazyPurple

Smash Rookie
Not sure if this thread is still a thing, but is Luigi's f-smash more powerful at close range (as opposed to well-spaced)?

Smash G 0 D

Leave Luck to Heaven
BRoomer
Not sure if this thread is still a thing, but is Luigi's f-smash more powerful at close range (as opposed to well-spaced)?

I believe that the power is the same regardless of the spacing. In any case, it is not a very strong move and you almost always have a better option for killing. Its coverage is pretty lackluster, too. The most interesting thing about it is that it can completely halt the momentum of a wavedash, but nobody has come up with a way to really abuse that in practice yet, to my knowledge.

LazyPurple

Smash Rookie
Okay, must have been my imagination. Last thing, do certain short-hop double aerial combinations auto-cancel? (Like double back-air)

Thanks for your help

BluEG

Smash Journeyman
I believe that the power is the same regardless of the spacing. In any case, it is not a very strong move and you almost always have a better option for killing. Its coverage is pretty lackluster, too. The most interesting thing about it is that it can completely halt the momentum of a wavedash, but nobody has come up with a way to really abuse that in practice yet, to my knowledge.
This ^

Although I think its very powerful if you angle it downwards-it sends them at a more horizontal trajectory.

A great combo against fast fallers is to down throw -> forward smash near the ledge.

Datnero

Smash Rookie
Aspiring Luigi here.

Is Luigi any good at all in teams? Whenever all of my buddies and I get together we always spend most of the time playing teams, and my Marth sucks in them. One day I pulled out a Luigi and I started doing a little bit better, so I'm wondering now if he's worth pursuing as my doubles main.

Also, is the Captain Falcon match-up really as terrible as I make it seem? My friend has a pretty solid Falcon, and I usually go to last stock with my Marth, but when I mess around with Luigi it's a massacre. He can't do anything at all.

Thanks for the thread, it helped!

EddyBearr

Smash Lord
Aspiring Luigi here.

Is Luigi any good at all in teams? Whenever all of my buddies and I get together we always spend most of the time playing teams, and my Marth sucks in them. One day I pulled out a Luigi and I started doing a little bit better, so I'm wondering now if he's worth pursuing as my doubles main.

Also, is the Captain Falcon match-up really as terrible as I make it seem? My friend has a pretty solid Falcon, and I usually go to last stock with my Marth, but when I mess around with Luigi it's a massacre. He can't do anything at all.

Thanks for the thread, it helped!
Luigi is quite good in teams. He does pretty much everything you'd want him to do except recover quickly. I think he's a top 8 teams character. Maybe 9th if Falco becomes consistently good in teams. I do quite well with him in teams.

C. Falcon is a bad matchup, but it's not -that- bad. It's kinda like the Marth-Sheik matchup I suppose. Vist said it's a little worse than 45:55 (Falcon's favor), and Eddy/Abate have winning records pretty much against Falcons in tourney. You combo and edgeguard him very hard. WD up-smash beats nair (invincible head). You play effectively the same game falcon does (Spacing with movement) but combo him harder and get fewer confirms; edge-guarding is Luigi's favor, killing/kill-combos is Falcon's favor.

Smash G 0 D

Leave Luck to Heaven
BRoomer
Luigi is very good in teams. Not sure if I would put him above Falco, but a lot of Luigi's weaknesses are void in teams. He is fast on the stage with his wavedashes, has a strong combo game, and a very strong edgeguarding game. Most players' general awareness for 1v1 interactions decrease in a 2v2 setting, which benefits Luigi and allows him to land high-damaging combos more easily. Make use of his speed for stage control and the ability to get to ledges for kills quickly and you will do well.

Yeah, Luigi loses to Falcon. Here's a video of me vs. Vist when I first picked up Falcon over the summer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCn7vDD8oU0&index=15&list=PLfxGFv5ymIRiydJSnadej7KEZ9bNx0vzP

You have to play very carefully. I did well in that match because I just played the fundamentals game and the Luigi matchup. Once you're in the air, Falcon will combo you. I believe you should SDI his Uairs down and away (correct me if I'm wrong). If you go in other directions, then he'll continue the combo in the air. Don't get juked by his recovery. Commit to an option. A lot of times just waiting at the ledge and Ftilt-ing will be fine.

EddyBearr

Smash Lord
Luigi is very good in teams. Not sure if I would put him above Falco, but a lot of Luigi's weaknesses are void in teams. He is fast on the stage with his wavedashes, has a strong combo game, and a very strong edgeguarding game. Most players' general awareness for 1v1 interactions decrease in a 2v2 setting, which benefits Luigi and allows him to land high-damaging combos more easily. Make use of his speed for stage control and the ability to get to ledges for kills quickly and you will do well.

Yeah, Luigi loses to Falcon. Here's a video of me vs. Vist when I first picked up Falcon over the summer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCn7vDD8oU0&index=15&list=PLfxGFv5ymIRiydJSnadej7KEZ9bNx0vzP

You have to play very carefully. I did well in that match because I just played the fundamentals game and the Luigi matchup. Once you're in the air, Falcon will combo you. I believe you should SDI his Uairs down and away (correct me if I'm wrong). If you go in other directions, then he'll continue the combo in the air. Don't get juked by his recovery. Commit to an option. A lot of times just waiting at the ledge and Ftilt-ing will be fine.
I personally go for up-and-behind Falcon in hopes of being sent too far up to avoid being combo'd (or even eating an up-air to send me behind falcon, usually after him using a jump to get that high.) Then I'd go for the ledge. I think that's the best way to get away from his up-airs, though down-and-away is better for stage positioning if you can manage it (I'd be scared of stomp chases.)

Last edited:

scuba_steve757

Smash Rookie
What are good situations to shield-drop with Luigi? Also, how do you platform cancel nair?
I believe that it's a 1 frame window for the timing, which Is a little tight, but basically you nair your opponent immediately after ledge dropping (you have to hit your opponent as it doesn't work if you don't hit anything). The way I practiced it was to go into training mode (or use the hack pack) and let your opponent get a star man and just practice it until you get better at it.

Edit: didn't mean to ignore the first part lol but watch some videos of vist....he's really good at implementing shield drops into his game

Last edited:

P@RA

Smash Rookie
Thanks man I appreciate it. It's kind of tough but I'll keep practicing and watch those Vist vids

Stride

Smash Ace
North-west England (near Manchester/Liverpool)
What are good situations to shield-drop with Luigi? Also, how do you platform cancel nair?
For platform drop cancel nairs, refer to this thread: http://smashboards.com/threads/drop-cancelled-nair-help.362087/

It's difficult to explain when to use shield dropping (kind of like how you can't fully explain when to use wavedashing, etc.); you'll get the hang of it through experience. Examples of applicable situations include when you're shielding on a platform and your opponent hits your shield with an aerial (for example, if Marth goes for an up aerial); you can shield drop into a forward aerial or something like that after their aerial connects and hit them before they can act.

In general, it just makes shielding on platforms much less of a commitment since you can get out of shield very quickly if you need to; without shield dropping, if you wanted to shield on a platform and then drop through the fastest option would be to wavedash out of shield in place and then drop normally (which takes much longer and therefore leaves you more vulnerable).

It's also the fastest way to drop through a platform in general (so far as I'm aware), so technically there's no downside to doing it every time instead of regular platform drops so long as your execution is consistent.

Kale.

Smash Cadet
Just wondering which stages Luigi should aim to strike to against some of the cast... As well, in 2/3, which stages should Luigi ban and go to?

Specifically wondering this against the top tier chars.

Flurb18

Smash Cadet
Just wondering which stages Luigi should aim to strike to against some of the cast... As well, in 2/3, which stages should Luigi ban and go to?

Specifically wondering this against the top tier chars.
Luigi definitely benefits from open space stages and high platforms because of his aerials. My favorite stages are Dreamland 64 and FoD against pretty much all chars. If I had to make a list
  1. Dreamland
  2. FoD
  3. Battlefield
  4. Yoshi's
  5. Poke
  6. FD
would probably be it versus most everyone. FD and Poke are lower because Luigi uses platforms a lot in high level play. Yoshi's is lower than the other platform stages because its close quarters, not a lot of room to throw out aerials.

As for character specific, when facing Marth strike Yoshi's immediately (unless facing m2k)... everyone else is pretty similar to above.

Kale.

Smash Cadet
What about characters that like the running room (I'm thinking Captain Falcon specifically but to a lesser extent Falco) or survivability (puff, Samus)? What would work best for you in those matchups?

Griffard

Smash Ace
I almost never aim to go to Dreamland for the first game. Spacies camp you, Samus and Puff beat you on that stage, plus Falcon roams free. I like Battlefield to start most of the time. I also will disagree with Flurb18 in terms of my personal preference, Fountain is a cool stage for Luigi for many reasons but more often than not you'll be up against a Fox, Falco, Marth or Sheik, and those characters can get more advantage from Fountain than you can. edit for clarity: Falco combos so hard on FoD, Fox gets easier shine spikes (like magic), it's tip city for Marth (and Sheik!)

I like Final Destination vs. Marth, space animals sometimes, and if you can tell someone relies on platforms a lot for their playstyle. Falcon is tough because it comes down to personal preference so much. Some Falcons will think FD is their best in the matchup, others will ban it. Same thing with Yoshi's- you have an easier time killing, but Falcon can also convert on you SO quickly. I'd take a Falcon to BF to start, then probably ban Pokemon Stadium. or Final Destination if they know the matchup.

Last edited:

PieSandwich

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2664-2630-4028
Sorry to revive an old thread, but quick question.
Abate does this thing sometimes where he'll use up-b and somehow fly off horizontally, protecting him from punishes.
How does he do this? I can't figure it out for anything!

Kale.

Smash Cadet
It has to do with drifting (up-b and then immediately hold your control stick over to the side you want to fly off to). Pretty sure you need to be holding to the side before you get into the air to get the full effect of the drift. It's actually really sweet if you can edgecancel it on a platform above you or pull yourself over to a ledge - lets you go for a ton of up-b's with less risk.

Griffard

Smash Ace
^^ the big thing missing from your answer is that it has to be on a shielded opponent. Just whiffing will not let you go horizontal at all. You may get more drift from up-b'ing a light shield, but I'm not sure.

Jelson

Smash Cadet
Don't be afraid to breathe new life into the boards. I find that Up-B on shield is a surprisingly good way to break/pressure if you happen to be near the ledge since your opponent is still in shieldstun.

Last edited:

wiiqwertyuiop

Smash Cadet
So kind of a specific question, but I was just wondering, how important is Luigi's perfect waveland? I can seem to do it when coming down on a platform or from a jump, but I can't seem to do it from underneath a platform (full hop and airdodging horizontally) unless I am holding the control stick diagonally down. I was looking at the debug menu and there seems to be one frame(?) when you can do a perfect waveland from underneath a platform, so I was just wanting to know if this is something better Luigi mains learn and have down and if it is important.

Last edited:

Jelson

Smash Cadet
So kind of a specific question, but I was just wondering, how important is Luigi's perfect waveland? I can seem to do it when coming down on a platform or from a jump, but I can't seem to do it from underneath a platform (full hop and airdodging horizontally) unless I am holding the control stick diagonally down. I was looking at the debug menu and there seems to be one frame(?) when you can do a perfect waveland from underneath a platform, so I was just wanting to know if this is something better Luigi mains learn and have down and if it is important.
It's just a matter of correctly placing and moving your thumb. Try to place it in a consistent spot on the analogue stick, and pay attention to what angle your thumb is at as well. As you practice watch your thumb make the movements for perfect wavedashes; it should land on the left or right side one degree below the horizontal axis of the octagon the stick sits in.

Stride

Smash Ace
North-west England (near Manchester/Liverpool)
Hey, whats the easiest way to mash luigi's down b. I feel like im going :GCD::GCB::GCB::GCB::GCB::GCB::GCB::GCB::GCB::GCB:, but in reality im only going :GCD::GCB::GCB::GCB::GCB::GCB::GCB:. Halp
Frame data: http://smashboards.com/threads/rising-cyclone-ptp-frame-data-guide.384946/

As for techniques for mashing effectively, experiment and find whatever works for you; there is no single "easiest way". Try things like resting the controller on your leg and tapping the button with your index finger from above, or mashing from the arm or wrist rather than your thumb.

Last edited:

Yann J.Ridin

Smash Apprentice
Switzerland, La Suisse, Pays de Neuchâtel
Good question. When Luigi is in there air trying to go back on the ground the Bair of fox is really hard to deal with. Totally beat luigi's aerials if the fox try hit you in the back of luigi. If the fox try to hit in front of you, maybe you can trade with the Dair, but quite risky: Fox have really good mobility and fast jump, he can easily bait your dair and hit you after it. Nair doesn't work anymore if the fox player has sufficient good spacing. Maybe you can sometime try use DJ to dodge the Bair of Fox and imediatly cancel it with tornado to directly fall on the fox.
So basicly, don't challenge it most of the time. It's hard to accept for luigi who work with a lot of trade in the air... Just try to bait the spacing with "slalom" in the air and don't trow raw Nair, most of people who know the matchup are waiting for this.

Last edited:

ElCid

Smash Rookie
Hey guys, what do you think of Luigi's dash -> u-smash? I haven't seen it discussed a lot of places, but i feel like it might be quite a strong option out of dd.

Yann J.Ridin

Smash Apprentice
Switzerland, La Suisse, Pays de Neuchâtel
Yes, since we dont have good Dash Attack, Attacking from a dash is limited to JC grab or Upsmash and in an extend SH Aerial. So just to break the Spacing and Rythme pattern that a Luigi always WD before attacking, It's worth to use it. So attacking out of dash give you more tool for micro spacing and timing.
I definitely try to use it to kill floaty like peach and puff: WD to dash dance to Upsmash in sum...
Other typical use: When a falco is near and he doesn't face you, it often means that he will SH Bair, so I go for Dash Upsmash.
In more general, when you are near an oppenent, and you feel a SH approach by your oppenent.

Trashed

Smash Rookie
This might be a dumb question but can you jump cancel a nair? (If you even can)

säpo.

Smash Apprentice
You can't cancel a nair into a jump and you can't cancel a jump into a nair, if that's what you meant.

Maybe you meant drop cancel, if so yes. Those are hot.

collis

Smash Rookie
Is there any reason why I shouldn't be lightshielding instead of regular shielding?

Top Bottom