• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Luigi neutral guide for fireballs and zair.

DrDank44

Smash Rookie
INTRODUCTION

Have any of you wondering Luigi mains ever wondered- How do i get a grab? How do i get in against swordies or stump their approaches? How do i deal with projectile camping? How can i perform low risk edgeguards? All these will be answered in this very guide, as Luigi 2 projectiles may seem lacklustre at first, but rather open up his neutral from okay or even bad, to potentially devastating. Get ready, for the ultimate Luigi projectile guide

PART 1- ZAIR

Your opponents won't be nearly ready for this move, unless they know the matchup. A zair can be achieved by simply grabbing in the air. This zair doesn't have nearly as much range as a zero suit nair, and doesn't offer the same recovery mixups, but this is a top tier move for Luigi, as whilst it can't be used for spacing, it opens up a whole new world of hurt and revolutionises Luigis neutral.

PART 1.A-ZAIR IN NEUTRAL

You'll find if you watch any competitive Luigi play that they throw out zair like there's no tomorrow, but why? why is zair just so useful. Well, for the same reason zero suits zair is useful. Its low committal. No ones gonna punish a fadeback zair, and if you do hit it it confirms into a grab. You'll often see players throw out an aerial then zair as they hit they ground. this is because it A) punishes anyone trying to attack you when you land, and B) conditions your opponent to be scared of your aerials. You can now essentially use any aerial risk free, as they know the zair is a threat. The zair stops hit confirming into grab at later percents but is still useful. If you back air then buffer a zair it will come out just before you hit the ground, allowing for a grab follow up. You can also fair then time the zair, which is much more useful. Zair can also lead into dash attack, but im unsure if this is true. 3/4 of zairs usefulness comes from neutral, but the other 1/4 is left up to edgeguarding.

PART 1.B- ZAIR IN EDGEGUARDING

Zairs edgeguarding (in my experience) usually doesn't lead to anything. They might get hit by a zair then just recover again, but its important to note, especially since certain recoveries can be destroyed by this move. First of all against normal recoveries- zair can lead into dair. this could spike, or send off, either way pretty useful but not guarenteed. If someone loses their jump, then zair can be very useful, and zair can even be used to eat someones jump. The real reason this is useful is because one again- its low committal. there's no reason not to do it. However, this works even better with recoveries like chroms, clouds, roys, any recovery without a hitbox and even Luigi himself. These are especially useful because they are exploitable. Chrom is obvious- if you're feeling brave you can just dair the apex of his up b. Roys has a bit of startup, so going for a dair is good. Clouds recovery is similar to chroms but shorter. Any without a hitbox can be safely dair'd after the zair. And Luigi can dair his own kinds green missile. This reminds me to make a recovery guide for Luigi, which will also come soon.

PART 2- FIREBALL

In my opinion, Luigis fireball is just a tad better than his zair. It can be used to space and zone, but not to edgeguard. It is very slow moving, so it can hit confirm quite easily. If a fireball hits someone or their shield, you can expect to get a grab. Never use this when close to an opponent, but rather from a medium or long distance. It has short range, but because its slow moving, by the time its gone you can throw another one out. There are many ways to deploy the fireball which i will go into now

PART 2.A-FIREBALL IN NEUTRAL

There will not be a part 2.b to fireball, so i will cover everything in this paragraph. Fireball can be deployed in many ways. Standing still, out of a short hop, out of an empty hop (tomahawk) or when landing (similar to empty hop) i personally use a fireball rising, then one when i land. This is useful because the fireball does a whopping 7 percent, which doesn't seem like much until you realise how much you can just spam these fireballs. They are slightly faster to deploy than clouds blade beam or links arrows/boomerang, so if your opponent is just spamming, your fireballs will come out faster and reach your opponent. If an opponent is playing passive, a fireball will hit confirm into and aerial or grab, and sometimes players will do the same thing when they get hit (jump, roll, etc) meaning if you hit an opponent with a fireball you can read what they do next, which can lead to an up b. And finally- fireballs are super annoying. Your opponent will tilt super easily. Keep this in mind and use fireballs with zair to destroy your enemies.

Thanks for reading once again, this one isnt a new tech chase discovery of course, but i hope this helps some people out. I feel i haven't covered anything, so leave any other uses for these moves in the comments and ill be sure to add it to the post. Bye!

Top Bottom