• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Luigi matchup ratios vs Top 8 by Myle

Myle

Smash Rookie
Hello Luigi boards this is Myle a Luigi main who has been playing smash competitively since 2013. I am not a top level player but I consider myself to be a very solid mid-level Luigi. I have spent countless hours on my journey of being a Luigi main not only playing the game but watching VoD's, reading forums, and talking to other Luigi mains in an effort to learn all that I can about the character to formulate my opinion where Luigi stands as a character and his viability. In this post I am going to give my opinion on Luigi matchup ratios and why I think the matchup is what it is. For purpose of the matchups we are going to say the Luigi and "X" character are evenly matched playing at a high skill level factoring in human error (Non-TAS).

Fox vs Luigi - 55/45
Luigi vs Fox is a tough matchup where you have to be on point with your movement, and a small mistake can mean instant death. Depending on the skill level of the Luigi this matchup can be anywhere from 80/20 to the best being 55/45. Luigi has a strong punish game on fox, when he gets a grab he can usually get upthrow-upsmash and bring him from 0-24% and have a chance to tech chase after. The most dangerous part about fighting Fox is his shine that sends Luigi across the stage into awful situations and will gimp his stock if hit with it off stage but Luigi has one huge tool against it and that is as soon as Luigi is sliding towards a ledge and is at the point he is off stage but right above the ledge you can flick down on the control stick to snap to ledge and prevent yourself from being gimped. This is hard to do but if done very consistently and if you never get gimped by the shine against Fox in the game the matchup will seem even but even losing one stock early due to a shine gimp can be a determining factor in a game if you can't catch back up and that's where the even matchup can turn 80/20 depending on how many times you get gimped which shouldn't happen if you ledge clip good enough. Strike dreamland due to it being hard to cover his recovery if he lands on a ledge and small maps that have less stage area because it will be easier for Fox to take stage control with shine.

Falco vs Luigi - 60/40
This matchup can be very bad for Luigi due to the laser and how hard falco shine combos hit Luigi due to his poor horizontal mobility. Learn to powershield, gimp falco and everytime you get an opening bring it as far as you can, alot of the combos that work on Fox work on Falco almost always opt for upthrow and follow up off that, backthrow/fthrow on ledge work too. Avoid Final destination because of the lasers, and Yoshi's due to him gimping you off the top with shine early.

Puff vs Luigi - 60/40
Luigi vs Puff is a matchup that can be very bad for Luigi due to the back air range and how easy it is for Puff to gimp your recovery. Play as much as you can in shield but be careful for pound. Grabs can be risky and you will get rested if you are not careful. When you land a grab Dthrow and throw Fair, I call that "The volleyball" It's a good way to clean up those Puff stocks. When Puff is off stage throw out dair and try to hit her with a stray hit if it lands they are usually dead. Don't go too deep but don't let them recover for free when they are off stage. Strike big stages such as dreamland, and FD. Platforms are your best friend against Puff as you can use them to approach and drop through with aerials.

Peach vs Luigi - 55/45
This matchup is tough for Luigi but it's not impossible. Luigi is faster so use your speed to your advantage. When you get grabs Dthrow peach and try to follow up with a Fair chop. You can cyclone through her normal turnips and get in sometimes. Up-B her dash attack on shield. Anytime Peach is off stage push her out with Fair, throw fireballs, use Dair, Bair, and do anything you can to keep her off stage it can be that one lucky Dair that you threw out and hit her floating a little bit to close to your liking that will seal the stock and be one of the defining factors to why you win that game. Avoid Dreamland, all the other maps are fine.

Ice Climbers vs Luigi - 40/60
Luigi has it easy against the ice climbers if you play this matchup correctly. Use Dsmash, Dair, and Nair to split up those IC's and kill Nana off stage with something as simple as a back air. Avoid fighting them on the ground and always try to approach from above unless you know you can get in using your Nair, Dair, into Dsmash or jabs. It can be so easy with all Luigi's moves he can throw out to land a stray hit on Nana and kill. If you get a grab in neutral usually back throw when both climbers are present to split them. Once you are 1 on 1 with SoPo there are two ways you can approach this matchup you can run the clock out using your double jump and Dair/Nair to poke with and even out maneuver them because your wavedash is longer or you can keep dismantling the icies and fight SoPo for the whole game. When fighting SoPo be careful for Upsmash and Uair they are good moves for SoPo especially out of shield. When you get a grab Dthrow and Fair chop them and follow up with the Dair edge guard, Luigi should always beat SoPo in the 1v1 by just being a superior character. Avoid Final Destination at all costs.

Marth vs Luigi - 55/45
Luigi can destroy Marth in the right hands. Play in your shield a lot of the time and be prepared to counter attack whenever he whiffs on your shield, wavedash in grab Dthrow chop, or Shoryuken at high percents. Wavedash off the side and back air to kill him early or hold ledge, when he lands punish with Dair or Shoryuken. Luigi can combo Marth very hard but he can be juggled too, when you are being juggled try your best to connect a Dair or Nair when he gets too close other wise look for the ledge or a platform you can waveland onto. The most important thing is don't let Marth get you into corners because off stage you're more than often a dead Luigi. Always look for that opening and hold center stage against this character. At percents above 40% look for the opportunity to catch Marth with a wavedash ftilt and send him off stage and hold down the edgeguard. Avoid Yoshi's, and Final Destination.

Shiek vs Luigi - 50/50
Thought to be worse than it actually is Shiek can get the hands from a good Luigi. The two characters are very similar but Luigi is like a faster and stronger Shiek and once Luigi gets his plumber gloves on her he can do some big damage linking Dsmashes, grabs, Nairs, and Bairs into eachother it truly is a sight to see a Shiek taking 0-80% on a good punish. Almost all of Shiek's moves can be wavedashed CC dsmashed on until you are at 40%. Edgeguarding is usually an easy thing to do similar to edge guarding Marth do a wavedash off the side and back air to kill her early or hold ledge, when she lands punish with Dair or Shoryuken. The worst thing about this matchup is that Shiek edgeguards Luigi just as good and she has Dthrow Fair/Uair guaranteed to secure kills at high percents. I would avoid small maps like Yoshi's and try to bring this matchup to battlefield if possible.

Falcon vs Luigi - 60/40
This matchup can feel impossible vs a good falcon. When Falcon grabs you or catches you with an aerial you are usually dead off an up air or a knee. My best advice is to stay grounded because it's not worth jumping and throwing an aerial to get caught by an Uair and die when you didn't have to. Wavedash in shield and try to predict his Nair and space it so you can get a Dsmash or grab after, Upthrow is always your go to throw unless close to an edge Backthrow/Fthrow work too. Kill Falcon whenever he is off stage stick your Dair in his face and don't let him come back. Take your punishes as far as you can get them you're going to need it. Avoid Final destination because it's very easy for him to zero to death you with no platforms to tech onto.

Last edited:

Spinnis

Smash Rookie
I haven't seen such a positive view on the Luigi-Marth matchup before

Last edited:

Sproll

Smash Apprentice
For the most part I agree, except vs Jiggly. It may be in her favor, but it's not that big in Jigg's favor. Luigi's speed on the ground makes it easy to surprise and catch a Jigg's retreating. So many times, a Jiggs will try to approach with fair/nair/bair, and retreat after throwing the attack out, but Luigi's wavedash allows you to get in there and punish before Jiggs can repeat that process. Just watch out for tomahawks as a lot of Jigg players love to do this to mix up their spaced aerials

Top Bottom