• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Luigi General/Social

Monib

Smash Cadet
Hey, Luigi main from Toronto here! I was at a crossroads after I started losing interest in falco, either falcon or Luigi. Both are really good in their own right and are really fun, but luigi has me sold.
I''m currently improving pretty well and getting better with every game I play, but I have one constant issue i cant seem to face:

How do I defend against falco? I'm trying to master powershielding but it seems against a falco who has alot of experience in the matchup, I can never be on the offensive. (besides not playing on FD). I've figured out how to go against sheik, falco, marth (still kinda bad, im getting there) and fox. But falco has (and still is) giving me issues.

If the falco plays defensively I usually dominate the match, but I don't think I'm handling the aggression well.

Last edited:

4Real

Smash Rookie
I would also love an answer to this. I have been laying Luigi for a little while but I just started to go to my local meet-ups and Im feeling pretty out classed. There really doesnt seem to be much great material on learning Luigi. Only one unfinished guide on here and not much discussion. Bump for this thread. Wave dash down smash only goes so far.

Hulka

Smash Cadet
Hey, Luigi main from Toronto here! I was at a crossroads after I started losing interest in falco, either falcon or Luigi. Both are really good in their own right and are really fun, but luigi has me sold.
I''m currently improving pretty well and getting better with every game I play, but I have one constant issue i cant seem to face:

How do I defend against falco? I'm trying to master powershielding but it seems against a falco who has alot of experience in the matchup, I can never be on the offensive. (besides not playing on FD). I've figured out how to go against sheik, falco, marth (still kinda bad, im getting there) and fox. But falco has (and still is) giving me issues.

If the falco plays defensively I usually dominate the match, but I don't think I'm handling the aggression well.
Power shielding is definitely a must. Light shielding can help you escape falco pressure because luigi will just slide away, and it messes with the timing of falcos SHFFL's. you can jump over lasers if theyre approaching and throw out a nair or chop, and once you get a grab, make it count. do something like up throw into up smash at low percents, juggle with nair and up tilt, and back throw him off stage. you can do a jump fireball to catch their double jump if they panic jump. once falco is off stage, be patient and react to his recovery with a dair if he is below stage, a chop/dair when recovering with a side b on stage, or a chop or dair if recovering with an up b onto stage. a cool little trick you can do if you grab falco near the ledge with you facing center stage, is that you can down throw him off stage, and if he DIs accordingly, follow up with a turn-around dair or chop and thats almost always a guaranteed kill. watch and study eddy mexico's set vs westballz as well at SSS (the one he won)

BluEG

Smash Journeyman
I would also love an answer to this. I have been laying Luigi for a little while but I just started to go to my local meet-ups and Im feeling pretty out classed. There really doesnt seem to be much great material on learning Luigi. Only one unfinished guide on here and not much discussion. Bump for this thread. Wave dash down smash only goes so far.
I wrote an introduction/paper on Luigi that I will be publishing shortly. I do not delve into the mechanics of which attacks to use etc. Would that kind of thing be helpful to everyone? I can write a combo/punish guide if requested but I'm mainly focused on writing about Luigi theory/game sense at the moment.

Griffard

Smash Ace
Personally I imagine I'd benefit more from the type of thing you're already writing.. there are lots of beginner resources on the board already. To Luigi newcomers-- you will get a LOT out of taking notes and paying close attention to the move usage and techniques of the established Weegs: Ka-master, Vudujin, Blea Gelo, Abate, Eddy Mexico, Vist. Learning which moves to use in which situations, and how they position themselves around the stage is incredibly beneficial. I've honestly learned SO much just from Special Scoopa Sauce , AKA the best video on Youtube.

BluEG

Smash Journeyman
Personally I imagine I'd benefit more from the type of thing you're already writing.. there are lots of beginner resources on the board already. To Luigi newcomers-- you will get a LOT out of taking notes and paying close attention to the move usage and techniques of the established Weegs: Ka-master, Vudujin, Blea Gelo, Abate, Eddy Mexico, Vist. Learning which moves to use in which situations, and how they position themselves around the stage is incredibly beneficial. I've honestly learned SO much just from Special Scoopa Sauce , AKA the best video on Youtube.
Agreed. Smash GoD's guide, Tobias' FAQ, and Bamesy's LLL are already good beginner resources. In fact, Bamesy's writing is incredible and he is my main inspiration. I highly suggest reading his content if you have a chance.

As far as my own writing goes, I think I could go a little more in depth about punish game and player psychology. Option coverage is a huge topic that I want to delve into as well. I honestly don't know if I'll have time before I leave though =/
Everywhere At Once is something I've wanted to write for a while but didn't have a concrete structure of how i wanted to present the concepts until I had an epiphany one night. (Well really, I just thought of the name i wanted to use and it all came together haha)

So yeah. I can write a ton about punish game if you guys like...or like a comprehensive guide on how to **** marth up hahahahha.

Here's some more of my writing that goes in depth on controlling space and stage positioning.
http://freepdfhosting.com/d6a5a7a10d.pdf

Its unfinished so meh, but i think its pretty insightful.

CASHMONEYDOLLABILLS

Smash Cadet
Agreed. Smash GoD's guide, Tobias' FAQ, and Bamesy's LLL are already good beginner resources. In fact, Bamesy's writing is incredible and he is my main inspiration. I highly suggest reading his content if you have a chance.

As far as my own writing goes, I think I could go a little more in depth about punish game and player psychology. Option coverage is a huge topic that I want to delve into as well. I honestly don't know if I'll have time before I leave though =/
Everywhere At Once is something I've wanted to write for a while but didn't have a concrete structure of how i wanted to present the concepts until I had an epiphany one night. (Well really, I just thought of the name i wanted to use and it all came together haha)

So yeah. I can write a ton about punish game if you guys like...or like a comprehensive guide on how to **** marth up hahahahha.

Here's some more of my writing that goes in depth on controlling space and stage positioning.
http://freepdfhosting.com/d6a5a7a10d.pdf

Its unfinished so meh, but i think its pretty insightful.
I want a Marth guide, I hate the matchup currently ; unless the marth throws out rando fsmash because it becomes ezmoney

Hulka

Smash Cadet
I want a Marth guide, I hate the matchup currently ; unless the marth throws out rando fsmash because it becomes ezmoney
I could help out with that guide. It's probably my best match up because I have a good marth that I have practiced with a lot.

Roukiske

Smash Journeyman
Hello! I've been playing Fox since 2006 thanks to Shined Blind, but now I want to main Magneto colored Luigi because he moves too smooth and has a shin-shoryuken. Also his tech chase potential (into possible shin-shoryuken) especially with fast fallers tells me he has what it takes.

That is all, I'd ask for where to start in terms of smarter play, but I'm sure I can just search this board.

Monib

Smash Cadet
Hello! I've been playing Fox since 2006 thanks to Shined Blind, but now I want to main Magneto colored Luigi because he moves too smooth and has a shin-shoryuken. Also his tech chase potential (into possible shin-shoryuken) especially with fast fallers tells me he has what it takes.

That is all, I'd ask for where to start in terms of smarter play, but I'm sure I can just search this board.
Welcome Roukiske =) Always happy to see new luigi mains, gives me a good feeling.
I'm guessing since you have 6 years of fox experience you have tech skill, so I'll just link a few threads off the top of my head.

1. http://smashboards.com/guides/luigi-and-his-shenanigans-a-luigi-guide.5/ A pretty good guide on luigi's moveset

2. http://smashboards.com/threads/advance-attack-avoid-through-the-lens-of-luigi.389684/ A guide to Luigi's neutral

3. http://smashboards.com/threads/everywhere-at-once.397940/ Another well written piece by BluEG more theory-based on luigi's capabilities.

That's all i got of the top of my head, I hope you enjoy your time here and playing as Luigi

Cheers =)

Groxxie

Smash Rookie
I don't see why people need guides to Luigi. The way I got good with loogie is by watching Eddy Mexico/Vist, and playing him. Once you know how he plays, literally he isn't very difficult to master. I went to a local GameStop tournament and came third losing to a Ganon.

Jelson

Smash Cadet
I don't see why people need guides to Luigi. The way I got good with loogie is by watching Eddy Mexico/Vist, and playing him. Once you know how he plays, literally he isn't very difficult to master. I went to a local GameStop tournament and came third losing to a Ganon.
You still have to know how to execute the moves. A lot of people don't have a manual, so being taught these ATs in the middle of these guides gives birth to new players.

Top Bottom