• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Luigi General/Social

Psycho_Bayleef

Smash Apprentice
Didn't see one pinned and most of the other character boards have 'em. Basically a thread for luigi's to discuss everything from MUs and Tourney's to new people (such as myself) asking for help.
SO WEEGEES, WHAT IS UP?

BluEG

Smash Journeyman
Seems we have been getting quite a bit more recognition ey..

I think its time that we get a new producer for the Year of Luigi Combo Video
Enough of these posts dude.
This is atleast the 5th on your opinion on the status of the YOL video, if you want it done, I nominate you to finish it. :p

Sorry if I come across as a jackass, but your voice has been heard and its unnecessary pressure on whoever is working on it. It will be done when it's done.

On a lighter note, I feel Luigi has been becoming a much more popular character! Where are all the new Luigi's at?

pokemongeof

Smash Lord
Enough of these posts dude.
This is atleast the 5th on your opinion on the status of the YOL video, if you want it done, I nominate you to finish it. :p

Sorry if I come across as a *******, but your voice has been heard and its unnecessary pressure on whoever is working on it. It will be done when it's done.

On a lighter note, I feel Luigi has been becoming a much more popular character! Where are all the new Luigi's at?
Yeah I'm doing that too much. I don't think I am qualified to work on it yet. Well maybe, with some help.

I do agree, Luigi has been getting more popular and formidable!

Where are u at Luigis?

BestFriendJohn

Smash Rookie
Just wondering but has anyone done a lot of exploring on luigi's SH dair into a FF nair? I can't quite tell if it's safe on shield with the shield stun from the dair.

BluEG

Smash Journeyman
Just wondering but has anyone done a lot of exploring on luigi's SH dair into a FF nair? I can't quite tell if it's safe on shield with the shield stun from the dair.
I see a lot of top Luigis spammmming that in videos. (Blea, Abate, Eddie, Vist)
Seems good.

Pure Royalty

Smash Cadet
ill jump in the conversation. i recently switched to luigi from marth. i loved playing marth and will bring him out when luigi isnt doing it. i still work on him from time to time but ive really switched my focus to luigi. what made me switch was watching abate play. his movement was just amazing and made me want to do the same

BluEG

Smash Journeyman
ill jump in the conversation. i recently switched to luigi from marth. i loved playing marth and will bring him out when luigi isnt doing it. i still work on him from time to time but ive really switched my focus to luigi. what made me switch was watching abate play. his movement was just amazing and made me want to do the same
Welcome to the club ;)

Movement is what makes Luigi so fun! I love that marth can do similar stuff too though since his wavedash and dashdance are great.

smileee

Smash Rookie
Due to Luigis placing higher at tournaments (mainly Abate at Fight Pitt V and TBH4) is anyone rethinking Luigi's place on the tier list? It seems like Luigi has seen a lot more success as of late.

scuba_steve757

Smash Rookie
im here! im like the only luigi main in sova lol. My friend and training partner mains falco and while we're pretty even I have massive trouble with sh dair to shine to death combo...-_-. Also I think luigi sits in a good place in the list...if at all he could be ahead of doc and pikachu but he loses hard to most of the top tiers so yeah

EddyBearr

Smash Lord
It's not just abate at TBH4 / FPV. Luigis of all names have been getting top 32 at nationals for a couple years. They're performing on par, if not slightly better than, Samuses.

I've bene saying this for a while:

Top tier:
High Tier: ICs included
Borderline Tier: C. Falcon lol
Viable tier: Samus, Luigi, Doc (could be Luigi>Samus)
Niche tier: Pikachu, other weird characters that strangely see use due to special circumstances/skills.

Kidney Thief

Smash Journeyman
Honestly Doc's been doing a good job for me, but regular Mario and Luigi both get me just as good results. I think all 3 mario bros have their respective matchups and stages where they all do better than one another and they are similar enough that it's worth learining all three to counter the stage and character choice

Last edited:

scuba_steve757

Smash Rookie
i still dont get why doc mario is so high. i really dont think he is that good
To be honest I think his tier placement was ballooned because of how dominant shroomed was with him....same can be said for axe and pikachu or amsa with yoshi. Doc is awesome though his grab and combo game is amazing. If he had a better recovery he would probably be top tier (see: PM)

Psycho_Bayleef

Smash Apprentice
To be honest I think his tier placement was ballooned because of how dominant shroomed was with him....same can be said for axe and pikachu or amsa with yoshi. Doc is awesome though his grab and combo game is amazing. If he had a better recovery he would probably be top tier (see: PM)
Yoshi has extreme problems that top tier players figured out how to abuse. It's very unlikely that Amsa will place that high as yoshi at huge events like that again.
Pikachu isn't inflated. If anything, there'll be more top tier pika mains that do well and pika could replace C Falcon in S tier.

NOW: AS A LUIGI HOW DO I DEAL WITH MARTH UTILT/UAIR? I played a marth that just juggled me on FD for 30 seconds regardless of my DI.

Pure Royalty

Smash Cadet
but i second marth so i just dido to avoid the marth match all together its so hard dealing with his range. sorry i dont have any other tips except dont go to fd

Hulka

Smash Cadet
"new" luigi main here. started a couple of months before EVO 2013, which was my first tournament haha. but honestly, fd against marth is preference. i like it cause you can space out marth better, and marth cant punish you for being on a platform. fd also allows for luigi to move more freely due to his amazing ground movement

Kidney Thief

Smash Journeyman
I'd like to know about the following matchups as Luigi if anyone has info :

Link
Young Link
Dr. Mario
Samus
Zelda
DK
Game And Watch
Ness

Any info is greatly appreciated

Pure Royalty

Smash Cadet
"new" luigi main here. started a couple of months before EVO 2013, which was my first tournament haha. but honestly, fd against marth is preference. i like it cause you can space out marth better, and marth cant punish you for being on a platform. fd also allows for luigi to move more freely due to his amazing ground movement
i would recommend dream land

Pure Royalty

Smash Cadet

Link
Young Link
Dr. Mario
Samus
Zelda
DK
Game And Watch
Ness

can you be a little more specific? are you having struggling against them? are you unfamiliar with the match up? and if possible specific examples for each character listed would be very helpful.
ps i probably can only give you some advice for young link samus dk and maybe zelda. i dont think ive ever faced a good game &watch and havent faced a good ness in a few years. way before i played luigi

Last edited:

Kidney Thief

Smash Journeyman
can you be a little more specific? are you having struggling against them? are you unfamiliar with the match up? and if possible specific examples for each character listed would be very helpful.
ps i probably can only give you some advice for young link samus dk and maybe zelda. i dont think ive ever faced a good game &watch and havent faced a good ness in a few years. way before i played luigi
I'm unfamiliar with those matchups and I'm having trouble with some of them, Link and Samus in particular. Game and watch is just jank to fight with doc mario because port priority makes a big difference and I was wondering if it's worth going Luigi against him to avoid deciding who gets port priority.

Basically first I want to know if I'm better off using Luigi instead of one of the two Marios in the matchups I mentionned and if yes what strategies should I be using? We have a lot of mid tier heroes in my region and a bit of lows so I'm trying to learn every matchup I don't know yet to not be unprepaired

CASHMONEYDOLLABILLS

Smash Cadet
Well obviously, but most Marths ban dreamland. I'm saying FD isn't the worst stage you can pick, I've beaten plenty of Marths on that stage
I also don't think FD is that bad of a stage for the match-up. Yoshi's is my least favourite stage against Marth as Luigi. I get combo'd badly here due to the size of the stage, once Marth hit's me up it's hard to get back unless I can get to ledge / cloud.

About getting utilt-uair combo'd on FD, I think you might be able to cut through the move with good spacing on an aerial. If they whiff sometimes I use down-b to punish.

How do I get good at using Down-B to recover? It has so many cool uses and really improves his recovery, but I can't seem to do it.

smileee

Smash Rookie
How do I get good at using Down-B to recover? It has so many cool uses and really improves his recovery, but I can't seem to do it.
did you mean actually executing all 14 button presses, or did you not know when to implement it? for improving your ability to get the most out of luigi's down-b you just have to keep trying, which basically comes down to just practicing hitting b as rapidly as you can. it's all about building up your finger's button pressing speed, and that can be achieved by just trying it over and over again. it's mainly a muscle memory thing, so you just gotta grind it out.

Pure Royalty

Smash Cadet
are you charging it on the ground before you use it? but you really need to mash the hell out of b to gain height. and dont rely on his down b in order to gain more hheight unless you consistently get max height. instead use it to stall and throw off your opponent as long as you are able to mash enough to just stay even.
but practice mashing it helps

Pure Royalty

Smash Cadet
I'm unfamiliar with those matchups and I'm having trouble with some of them, Link and Samus in particular. Game and watch is just jank to fight with doc mario because port priority makes a big difference and I was wondering if it's worth going Luigi against him to avoid deciding who gets port priority.

Basically first I want to know if I'm better off using Luigi instead of one of the two Marios in the matchups I mentionned and if yes what strategies should I be using? We have a lot of mid tier heroes in my region and a bit of lows so I'm trying to learn every matchup I don't know yet to not be unprepaired
for samus and link, doc mario or mario would be better because the cape will make them hesitate spaming projectiles to gain distance and space you out.

i would give luigi a try against game and watch. i only know one person who plays game and watch and they are not very good. hes just a casual player.

i dont know much in the zelda match up. ill from time to time play zelda and the trouble with her is she is slow and very reliant on her bair and fair. so try to be quick, fluent and unpredictable with your movement.

and i have nothing on ness or dk. hope i helped. sorry most of my melee friends study the tier list and refuse to play characters below captian falcon on the tier list. im trying to sway people in my area from picking the character they like the most but my friend always tells them that they need to pick one of the "best" characters in the game

Kidney Thief

Smash Journeyman
I think it's ridiculous to pick a high tier if you don't enjoy any of them, especially when some mid tiers can wreck high tiers in specific matchups, good luck with your friends. Around here we have a great diversity a very good Link and a great Yoshi player and myself of course almost on the power rankings and lots more under the radar, it must suck to have no diversity at all

Pure Royalty

Smash Cadet
I think it's ridiculous to pick a high tier if you don't enjoy any of them, especially when some mid tiers can wreck high tiers in specific matchups, good luck with your friends. Around here we have a great diversity a very good Link and a great Yoshi player and myself of course almost on the power rankings and lots more under the radar, it must suck to have no diversity at all
all i face is fox falco shiek and marth

smileee

Smash Rookie
ye, agreed, but i think it's important to consider why people choose high tiers. like ultimately the goal is to win (at least in a tournament setting) and high tiers give people the best opportunity to do so. playing the character you enjoy is all well and good, but if that character possesses flaws that other characters don't, or lacks the options that other characters have, you're going to have to work that much harder. for some people winning is the only way to have fun, so they strive to be the best, meaning they pick the best character. if two opponents are at the same skill level, but one of the characters is much better, it's likely that whoever is playing that character would win. they may not enjoy playing that character but i assume they'd enjoy winning.

that being said i definitely agree that things would suck if there were no character diversity, and also that characters outside of the top tier can definitely win.

Pure Royalty

Smash Cadet
yeah im probably just helping my friend in the low tier match ups. he now knows most of them thanks to me messin around trying to find out who i like the most

CASHMONEYDOLLABILLS

Smash Cadet
Any tips on how not to die when offstage against Marth? Marth butchers Luigi's recovery, and I feel like lot's of my favourite options off the ledge get destroyed by Marth's edgeguarding. I know the down-b recover would be so helpful against Marth, but I cannot seem to press the button fast enough to get the full height, though I can do the down-b regrab.

What are the safest recovery options for Luigi when offstage against Marth?

BluEG

Smash Journeyman
Any tips on how not to die when offstage against Marth? Marth butchers Luigi's recovery, and I feel like lot's of my favourite options off the ledge get destroyed by Marth's edgeguarding. I know the down-b recover would be so helpful against Marth, but I cannot seem to press the button fast enough to get the full height, though I can do the down-b regrab.

What are the safest recovery options for Luigi when offstage against Marth?
Using a fireball is crucial in recovering against Marth. Shoot it towards the ledge where he is standing and try to grab the ledge in sync with when the fireball would hit him. Recovering low is also crucial, learn how to ledge tech when getting hit by FSmash, etc. Its not too bad but you really have to use all your tools.

BluEG

Smash Journeyman

Link
Young Link
Dr. Mario
Samus
Zelda
DK
Game And Watch
Ness

These are some obscure match ups lol.

Links:
Projectile game is hard to deal with, especially on FD. Careful spacing and adjusting your WD length can help position you to get in between bomb throws and boomerangs. One thing to keep in mind is that Tornado clanks with boomerang and you can immediately act out of it.

They are extremely easy to juggle with D-Smash, Nair, U-tilt, U-Smash, and U-air, so getting them into this position is key. Pop em up, keep em up. Just be wary of Dair. If they go for it, dodge and then continue to punish. Also when they miss Up-B

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOjEV1lbuq0#t=6m25s

Any time they miss a grab, go for the Up-B if they are something like 85%+

Edgeguarding is kind of tricky, but Dair goes through their up-b extremely well. One thing you can do if you see a Link or Samus using their tether is to drop zone Up-B to ping them off of it.

I'll edit this post for some of the others later..I dont have much xp vs G&W or Zelda however.

Hulka

Smash Cadet
For the marth match up, a marth that I play against does a drop down neutral b whenever I'm recovering low, and I can't seem to get past it. Any tips?

BluEG

Smash Journeyman
For the marth match up, a marth that I play against does a drop down neutral b whenever I'm recovering low, and I can't seem to get past it. Any tips?

A lot of it comes down to the fireball again, it can block their approach if they try to get off the ledge like that. Then you get into the position where they are conditioned for the fireball and won't even bother to try.

If this is not the case, and you see him going for it, try to time an up-air as he gets in.

EddyBearr

Smash Lord

Young Link
Samus

Young Link: BlueEG has a few good pieces of advice, but it's definitely Link centralized. Young Link pretty much won't grab, up-B, or do many other unsafe options against Luigi. They're also quite unlikely to dair during juggles unless they can edge cancel or auto-cancel. He's also not really easy to juggle, and his mobility is too good. Honestly, Young Link is a bit of a soft-counter to Luigi. Just play your game as normal, and try to beat them by outplaying them. Mix up your movement, to avoid being predicted with projectiles. Tornado is slightly better in this matchup because it's a mean to approach (and put Young Link in a questionable position). Try to shark him on platforms.

Samus: Just bait & punish. Your moves are so fast compared to hers than you can just punish her openings. Tornado trades with missiles and let's you act out, and nair beats missiles when trying to recover. Combo her diagonally and kill her off the top. Don't try too hard to follow-up or you will probably get naired. Thankfully, there's Abate vs Duck and Eddy vs HugS to look at.

Last edited:
Top Bottom