• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Removed by Moderator

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
samus does OK vs luigi I've always thought
I am surprised you think this. I personally hate this matchup. I find that Luigi combos floaties very well and Samus has issues approaching (especially when the Samus is behind.)

The Star King

Smash Hero
lol, scrubba holding on to those 2011 opinions

Villainy knows what's up. Most people know that Luigi vs Puff isn't bad now.

I remember Nintendude said he thought it was even when we went to his apartment. That was pretty cool.

Samus vs Luigi is pretty even IMO.

Olikus

Smash Champion
Villainy knows what's up. Most people know that Luigi vs Puff isn't bad now.

I remember Nintendude said he thought it was even when we went to his apartment. That was pretty cool.
Its bad. even Isai puff(which is the worlds best puff by far) got ***** by a luigi in tacna. If you dont think its horrible, you should at least admit its bad.

And dont listen to nintendude. He thinks DK is bottom tier or something lmao.

Pr0fessor Flash

Smash Master
NNID
Snake_Midwest
3DS FC
1993-8618-5171
I would say fireball spacing,uair,and grabbing

I would put the opponent in bad positions like an edgeguard or their on the top platform of Dreamland and pressure them

Last edited by a moderator:

Ceasar

Banned via Warnings
Let's say you use Luigi, and you're below the top platform in Dreamland. If you use Luigi's tornado to reach the top platform, would he be able to make it? Or, let's say you're Luigi below the top platform, and use his tornado on your opponent on that spot to reach the platform. From my experience in playing Luigi, when I use Luigi's down-b to attack my opponent, he gains a small boost in going upward, compared to simply using his down-b on thin air. Would he still be able to make it on the top platform?

I have tried this a couple of times on my own, but seem to have been unsuccessful in every attempt. Has anyone else been able to make it to the top platform, or it is possible to do so?

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
you can definitely make it to top platform from the ground

i feel like you can do it easier while in hitlag because there's...hitlag...sorta like how it's easier to drop cancel when you connect with moves as opposed to not

Ceasar

Banned via Warnings
I did the video of the heighest point Luigi and Mario can reach.
Sangoku: I'm impressed Mario is capable of gaining as much height as Luigi's down-b, considering how harder it is to gain height for Mario's down-b.

Thanks, guys.

Technical_Knockout

Smash Apprentice
so here's an interesting (new?) luigi-specific technique: after being struck down (don't tech), back roll to a ledge... when the green guy stands up he will automatically drop (you can fastfall this part) to a ledge-grab.

marginally useful as a baiting tactic or mind game.

:)

edit: also works on platforms (without the ledge-grab, obviously.)

Last edited:

SmashFactionNC

Smash Cadet
My friend plays Luigi really offensively in Melee but he can't really in 64, it seems he has to wait for you to mess up then attack. Is that an accurate statement?

THE_MAAFIA

Smash Ace
My friend plays Luigi really offensively in Melee but he can't really in 64, it seems he has to wait for you to mess up then attack. Is that an accurate statement?
cause in melee he has different properties and tools, he'll soon find out how to play 64 luigi, like learning bread n butter combos (drill to up b)

Technical_Knockout

Smash Apprentice
ok guys here's another new(?) luigi-specific tech i just discovered: dash-grab to the edge of a platform or ledge & you can instantly fall off by buffering 'z', down, backwards or forwards.

also maafia you'll love this movement technique: buffer 'a' & you can now shield-slide with initial-dash + 'r'... makes it easier to chain them together than using 'z'. any char can use...

shield-slide to up + 'b' is interesting too.

Last edited:

THE_MAAFIA

Smash Ace
ok guys here's another new(?) luigi-specific tech i just discovered: dash grab to the edge of a platform or ledge & you can immediately fall by pressing down, backwards or forwards. also edited my above post to include platforms.

also maafia you'll love this movement technique: hold down 'a' & shield slide by initial dashing + 'r'... makes it easier to chain them together than pressing 'z'. works best with luigi but any char can use.

shield slide to up + b is interesting too.
That seems pretty interesting, but I need some kind of video to understand it completely.
When I play luigi I do whatever and win rofl

Technical_Knockout

Smash Apprentice
aww yeah... check this luigi combo idea out:

1. stand & face away from your mid-to-high % opponent.
2. time a short-hopped, turn-around fireball to pass right over their head.
3. hit them with a n-air (on the same jump) that knocks them into the fireball.
4. finish with a dashing forward smash.

other options are available, especially if they are on a platform... the basic idea is to knock them into your fireball, similar to an alpha samus bomb combo.

edit: replacing step 3 with a dash-grab to forward-throw is a cool ranged option.

Last edited:

THE_MAAFIA

Smash Ace
How to kill fox:
Drill-> Up b him in the middle of dream land, land on top platform, up air-> up b, send him back to the stars
Or
Throw off stage, fire balls, neutral air if he recovers mid, up air to up b if it's high, and drill to death if low

Sangoku

Smash Master
1) A good Fox will DI out of the first drill and won't get hit by Up B.

2) If Fox is thrown off edge, he's basically dead, against any char. The whole game is about not to get offstage.

Sangoku

Smash Master
No time for that. I tested one case and got a 7 frames advantage for Luigi, which is far from enough to even start doing anything, provided Fox DIed far enough.

THE_MAAFIA

Smash Ace
No time for that. I tested one case and got a 7 frames advantage for Luigi, which is far from enough to even start doing anything, provided Fox DIed far enough.
then maybe fast fall up air to up b instead of stating it with drill up b, gonna have to test it

Technical_Knockout

Smash Apprentice
in italian, the meaning of luigi is: 'renowned fighter';
in japanese, ryu-igi translates to 'dragon objection'.
when luigi appears: 'warning: challenger approaching':

'renowned dragon objection fighter' = 'dragon king challenger luigi'.

:)

Last edited:

Technical_Knockout

Smash Apprentice
'ryu-igi' is pronounced, 'roo-igi' for those who don't already know (there is no 'lu-igi' in japanese.)

luigi is the oldest smash character created, as they're listed in chronological order on the character-selection screen.

ryu & luigi share the same character-selection screen slot of first position, & have very similar special moves.

luigi's dash-taunt self-cancels at the edge or ledge, as it first comes out as a dash attack, then turns into a taunt-cancel... this technique can be used to quickly achieve the teetering animation within initial-dash range of the edge or ledge.

Last edited:

William5000000

Smash Journeyman
For anyone that mains Luigi, I made a competitive guide of all the KO endurances for Luigi, including the quick KO moves, along with edge-guarding.

KO Endurances [Luigi]:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzUNwW10YTg

Be sure to read the description.

Hopefully, this video I made will make Luigi a little better, if not, less of a joke character in the new Tier List. If he really is that much of a joke character, then... a 'Luigi Tier' might as well be made for him, or at least an 'F Tier'.

Last edited:

Technical_Knockout

Smash Apprentice
in my opinion link & ness are clearly worse than luigi on dreamland... i'd also rank him above at least dk/samus & maybe mario/puff as well.

yeah i said it, w00t!! :)

Last edited:

THE_MAAFIA

Smash Ace
Luigi isn't bad at all, He is a top tier destroyer (He can MURDER the cast of top tiers) but with characters like link, he struggles with, I would definately put him at 5-7 on the list

Last edited:

Saltsizzle

Smash Journeyman
Luigi isn't bad at all, He is a top tier destroyer (He can MURDER the cast of top tiers) but with characters like link, he struggles with, I would definately put him at 5-7 on the list
Are you talking about pikachu, Kirby, falcon, and Fox? I can see pikachu and Kirby with up b killing at low percents. It's it because you can gimp falcon and Fox at low percents? Other reasons? Luigi still trades a ton with these characters.

Technical_Knockout

Smash Apprentice
play luigi vs. lighties & kirby vs. heavies... :)
edit: actually luigi up-air chains are good.

Last edited:

THE_MAAFIA

Smash Ace
Are you talking about pikachu, Kirby, falcon, and Fox? I can see pikachu and Kirby with up b killing at low percents. It's it because you can gimp falcon and Fox at low percents? Other reasons? Luigi still trades a ton with these characters.
Pikachu is difficult, but it can be done and when you understand the match up and what you need to do, you will win. Shears talks crap but he didn't mention the part where I destroyed his pika multiple times with my luigi ;) Kirby is really easy to defeat if you practice against him enough, online play helped me so much with this match up where I actually laugh if some one picks Kirby and I get hype, fox can combo weegee badly, but one grab is all it takes, or even a head butt, even LD admits that the luigi match up was pretty difficult back at Xanadu. Captain falcon can be gimped and combo'ed a lot, but he is really hard cause he's quick and can combo weegee pretty hard, but in return luigi can deliver some ready up b combos that are ridiculous, and grab to drill to death works out great, or even other options like down smash, up smash to another Aerial, or even other creative stuff. On a side note there's some really good tools luigi can do to stop combos, like nair, or up air (it comes out frame 1, oh god it's so good) like if you're falling and they come up to you to read your tech, just throw out an up air (lol the floatyness of luigi helps him throw out an up air before he lands ) then just jump and immediately up b, free kill/damage

Technical_Knockout

Smash Apprentice
hey maaf buffer up & hit 'c' + 'a' to up smash works great out-of-shield... since down + 'b' comes out in 0 (!) frames it's a good oos option too... just hit 'c' first & presto it's possible. :)

Last edited:

THE_MAAFIA

Smash Ace
hey maaf buffer up & hit 'c' + 'a' to up smash works great out-of-shield... since down + 'b' comes out in 0 (!) frames it's a good oos option too... just hit 'c' first & presto it's possible. :)
Down b works out of shield? Lol holy crap I'll try that for mix ups, I usually up b out of shield hah, but yo TKO add me on Skype bro

Top Bottom