• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Luigi Able to Cyclone Recovery without 2nd Jump!?

STiCKYBULL3TZ

Smash Ace
NNID
STiCKYBULL3TZ
3DS FC
2036-9005-7675
I'm having trouble getting anywhere as good a mash compared to just using my thumb. How are you doing it?
I adjust my right hand so that my index and middle fingers are placed on each side of the Y button. Then I alternate fingers to press the button. It's the only way I was able to do it consistently

McZaxon

Smash Cadet
NNID
McZaxon
Switch FC
SW-0554-7774-1020
I adjust my right hand so that my index and middle fingers are placed on each side of the Y button. Then I alternate fingers to press the button. It's the only way I was able to do it consistently
So do you use your left hand at all? Or is it just your index and middle finger on your right hand? :surprised:

jkeezer

Smash Rookie
Okay so I only use the cyclone in this manner if im being gimped or if i am trying to spikelone someone, after your left thumb is done hitting "down" bring it over to the B button and mash it &altenate between thumbs. 2 thumbs on one button. It has to be the same button, multi-special inputs do no mash together for some reason. This way works way better for me but the obvious flaw is I cant direct it right or left, but I have my second jump still for that. Double thumbs on B!!

dehvin

Smash Cadet
NNID
Dehvin
3DS FC
3110-5946-6541
No! He uses two! Check this video out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fBOwLYrUwI

It's VERY hard to see, but at 1:06, when he does his jumpless tornado, he moves his left hand over to mash another button. And you can see him take his hand away as well after the cyclone.

He does it again at 1:46, 3:30, and 4:47!
In the video I showed, he only uses his one finger, but in the ones you showed me, he indeed does move his hand, but it looks like he might be mashing the c stick? Going to test some things out now.

Edit: It seems clicking 2 different buttons to input stop your rise. For example, b + left trigger.

Edit 2: Spamming the C stick up and down has given me higher lift than clicking the buttons for months has. Although you lose your fast smashes.

Last edited:

McZaxon

Smash Cadet
NNID
McZaxon
Switch FC
SW-0554-7774-1020
In the video I showed, he only uses his one finger, but in the ones you showed me, he indeed does move his hand, but it looks like he might be mashing the c stick? Going to test some things out now.

Edit: It seems clicking 2 different buttons to input stop your rise. For example, b + left trigger.

Edit 2: Spamming the C stick up and down has given me higher lift than clicking the buttons for months has. Although you lose your fast smashes.
I'm going to go ahead and try some of these as well. :lick: The C-stick recovery would take some getting used to, but if it works, I'm sticking with it....no pun intended. :rotfl:

Last edited:

Awakining

Smash Apprentice
I'd like to weigh in here, actually. I've gotten mild success with the d-pad method, but rather then sliding my finger across the buttons, I mash the center of the pad. Now, I'm no button mashing champ, but with this method I can maintain altitude, at least, with much less effort required.

pato_

Smash Rookie
So, I managed to do this which to me was pretty cool since I did a dair by accident and I still managed to get really high, notice I still had the second jump at the end of the tornado:

(in case you can't see the embedded gif http://gfycat.com/PerfectQueasyFlies )

I did this my sliding my fingernail on the b button instead of mashing, I can change the position of my hand pretty quickly from a standard grip to this but I still have to practice to get it more consistent, I have no trouble if I'm expecting to do a tornado but if I do it by accident well...not cool haha

Edit: I should probably upload the video since it sounds as if I'm pressing the button 1000 times a second :p this was done on a gamecube controller by the way but I have no problem doing it with any of the others, I've been doing this kind of mashing since that tiny toones olympics game on the snes :p

Last edited:

Commander Fresh

Smash Cadet
NNID
CommanderFresh
So, I managed to do this which to me was pretty cool since I did a dair by accident and I still managed to get really high, notice I still had the second jump at the end of the tornado:

I did this my sliding my fingernail on the b button instead of mashing, I can change the position of my hand pretty quickly from a standard grip to this but I still have to practice to get it more consistent, I have no trouble if I'm expecting to do a tornado but if I do it by accident well...not cool haha

Edit: I should probably upload the video since it sounds as if I'm pressing the button 1000 times a second :p this was done on a gamecube controller by the way but I have no problem doing it with any of the others, I've been doing this kind of mashing since that tiny toones olympics game on the snes :p
So if I understand correctly, you're wiggling your fingernail on the button? Does it ever come off the button, or is it always on? Why would your fingernail be necessary instead of the thumb?

pato_

Smash Rookie
So if I understand correctly, you're wiggling your fingernail on the button? Does it ever come off the button, or is it always on? Why would your fingernail be necessary instead of the thumb?
It is more of a slide than a wiggle, I think, I recorded this using an xbox controller but it is the same thing, check it out:
(Oh, and I use my fingernail because I feel it slides easier than the padded area of the finger, but whatever suits you)

link: http://gfycat.com/ObviousDistantGosling

Give it a go, it is way easier than mashing and you can keep your left hand where you normally have it, you just have to find a position that suits you :)

Last edited:

kobyatchi

Smash Rookie
It's possible, Boss has done it before. It just takes practice, as well as a comfortable controller. I can do it pretty well on my Gamecube controller, but on my 2DS it's not as simple.

I didn't know about the fingernail thing, but mashing has always worked for me.

Last edited:

mmanu

Smash Rookie
It actually looks like Boss is using two buttons to mash - the B and either the Y or X, as his index finger is over it while doing the fast twitch motion.

MrTeddyBear

Smash Apprentice

I do it the exact same way, nice to see someone else know how effective this is compared to the other options :p It took me a while to get used to when I first did it a long time ago but when you do it enough it's pretty much muscle memory.

P.S. If you chew your fingernails you're at a disadvantage since this is much easier with fingernails than with the finger itself.

We slide it back and forth on the button, and yes it comes off the button so that the separate inputs can be read instead of the finger staying on the button (which would make it just one input since the finger is always compressing the button without leaving it). At least for me, it's much easier to do this with any of my fingers (especially the index) besides the pinky and the thumb, because they can move back and forth easier with a more rapid motion, but whichever finger you are comfortable with is fine, as long as you're able to move it fast.

Last edited:

McZaxon

Smash Cadet
NNID
McZaxon
Switch FC
SW-0554-7774-1020
HOLY ****. THIS WORKS. YOU ARE A GIFT FROM GOD. I WOULD KISS YOU RIGHT NOW IF I COULD. WHY HAVE YOU NOT WON A NOBEL PRIZE YET?

I'M SORRY IF I'M TOO HYPED ABOUT THIS, BUT I HAVE FINALLY FOUND SOMETHING THAT WORKS. YOU ARE THE GREATEST MAN ON PLANET EARTH. :love::bluejump::chuckle::estatic::cry::rotfl:

TriTails

Smash Lord
Hey! This one's works for me! Thanks a lot!

I use the back of my fingernail of my pointer finger, and slide it back and forth on my B button, and presto! Jumpless Cyclone!

Still has to work on muscle memory though. I haven't been able to pull it off consistently yet. But I can confirm this technique works, on a 3DS!

Anyhoo, thanks for the share!

pato_

Smash Rookie
Hey! This one's works for me! Thanks a lot!

I use the back of my fingernail of my pointer finger, and slide it back and forth on my B button, and presto! Jumpless Cyclone!

Still has to work on muscle memory though. I haven't been able to pull it off consistently yet. But I can confirm this technique works, on a 3DS!

Anyhoo, thanks for the share!
That's exactly it, good explanation! haha now you can also wreck your friends in Mario Party!

And yes, I've found it works on pretty much any controller, glad it worked for you :)

McZaxon

Smash Cadet
NNID
McZaxon
Switch FC
SW-0554-7774-1020

Welp nevermind. I THOUGHT it worked, but now it doesn't work anymore! It just stopped working for some reason. I've been trying to figure out what's going on, but I cant find anything I'm doing wrong. I've been trying so hard to do it again, my fingers are literally sore right now.

Oh well. Back to square one! :cry:

TriTails

Smash Lord
Try the trick from pato_. While Im still unable yo do it consistently yet, it DOES work. Just try not to get the back of your fingernail on fire :p.

samuroleon

Smash Cadet
NNID
Samuroleon
Not completely sure how to get that to work with a pro controller. I feel the buttons make it hard to slide it on and off. I'll just stick with trying to get better at mashing

McZaxon

Smash Cadet
NNID
McZaxon
Switch FC
SW-0554-7774-1020
Try the trick from pato_. While Im still unable yo do it consistently yet, it DOES work. Just try not to get the back of your fingernail on fire :p.
Haha! xD Well i've gotten both methods to work, its just that they tend to both be inconsistent, at least when I try to use them to spike.

I have a tournament today and i'll probably only use the jumpless cyclone for recovery purposes.

The only problems I have is that with the fingernail method, while it does work, is that I tend to press other buttons before B. So i'll do something like a dair or bair and the do the missile because I've already moved my control stick away from down (if that makes sense). So i've been able to do both, although it'll take some practice to get them down for spiking purposes.

I just hope I can come across a Luigi one day face to face who can do it successfully and he/she can show me their ways. xD

dehvin

Smash Cadet
NNID
Dehvin
3DS FC
3110-5946-6541
I do it the exact same way, nice to see someone else know how effective this is compared to the other options :p It took me a while to get used to when I first did it a long time ago but when you do it enough it's pretty much muscle memory.

P.S. If you chew your fingernails you're at a disadvantage since this is much easier with fingernails than with the finger itself.
Rip, back to mashing.

Last edited:

STiCKYBULL3TZ

Smash Ace
NNID
STiCKYBULL3TZ
3DS FC
2036-9005-7675
Does anyone else have trouble adjusting their fingers to mash when they unexpectedly need to use the jumpless cyclone?

Ndzablou

Smash Cadet
NNID
ndzablou
Does anyone else have trouble adjusting their fingers to mash when they unexpectedly need to use the jumpless cyclone?
After practicing the cyclone a lot and doing it regularly in tournament, I've gotten used to switching hand positions quite quickly.

Kanzaki

Smash Champion
When I need to mash, I change my grip and use my middle finger to mash on B like crazy. It helps that I've been doing this since Melee.

Note: For practice, try one of the "Clicker Games" on your phone :p

Luig

Confused
With my testing with the cyclone and with my average mash speed, I can say you need to press a about 12-13 times a second. I can do it pretty consistently, and opponents don't expect you to do it without a jump.

Last edited:

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
I hate feel disadvantaged because I cannot master the mash. I have a 3DS, so it's virtually impossible. And I use a GC remote at tourneys...so I just can't do it due to no practice. If I had to choose any method posted here so far, I'd go with the fingernail rubbing one. It has worked for me the best.

Although if I pass my uni courses and survive this semester, I'm treating myself with a Wii U.

MonkeyArms

Smash Ace
NNID
MrCheeseburger7
Let me say this:
The best way is not to master a gimmicky way of getting the most button presses, but finding which way you mash best with your right hand. If you take some one elses way of doing it, its probably not going to be very consistent. Just find something that is comfortable for you and practice it. (For example, I mash with my index finger because that's how I did it back when I played Mario Party)

Last edited:

Luig

Confused
I mash with my right index and thumb. In mario party I use my left but kinda awkward to do that in the middle of the match.

Ralugi

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Uranium238
I can gain almost all the height off of cyclone at normal speed. I jerk my arm around, and it seems to be working.

Top Bottom