• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Lucina: Separate character or costume? (Confirmed separate character)

Costume or character?

• Costume

Votes: 81 31.4%
  • Character

Votes: 177 68.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Why not a signature bet?
Fine. Loser's sig has to say the other user's sig has to say "*insert name here* is vastly inferior to me as a poster in every way, and they proved it when we made this bet over whether Lucina was a alternate costume or playable character."
I don't make monetary bets with strangers over the internet, especially on unpredictable things like Sakurai.
I think you overestimate how crazy Sakurai is. He doesn't confirm a character only to deconfirm them.

Trigger123

Smash Journeyman
I hope she is an alternate costume because why put her in the damn game too just be a clone instead of a unique character when we could have someone even more popular. Now I'm not hating on her I don't mind her as a character if she was unique and I have not seen enough to completley judge but right now she seems like a pointless marth clone. We have enough females I feel they're obligated to put more females in the game.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Fine. Loser's sig has to say the other user's sig has to say "*insert name here* is vastly inferior to me as a poster in every way, and they proved it when we made this bet over whether Lucina was a alternate costume or playable character."

I think you overestimate how crazy Sakurai is. He doesn't confirm a character only to deconfirm them.
Alright, the bet is on. And how is this disconfirming her? She's still playable either way.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Seperate slot obviously, for her to be a Marth alt she has to share the slot with Marth, that's what a costume is.
Sakurai considers transformations different characters. A costume with a few tweaks could also be considered a different character, don't you think? This argument is about if they share a slot or not.

Ogopogo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3797-6544-0935
People will always think Lucina is a character because they WANT her to be a character.

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration
>No tipper
>Nair is different 100% confirmed
>Side B seems different as well

She's a character, no doubt in my mind.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
>No tipper
>Nair is different 100% confirmed
>Side B seems different as well

She's a character, no doubt in my mind.
*sigh* The slash effect change means there could be a difference, not that there is. Care to share where you got the information on her Nair? Sspecial looks different in terms of effects, but otherwise appears to be the same.

Fixed. ;)

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration
*sigh* The slash effect change means there could be a difference, not that there is. Care to share where you got the information on her Nair? Sspecial looks different in terms of effects, but otherwise appears to be the same.

Fixed. ;)
Marth's Nair swings twice. However Lucina appears to swing it 3 times

Sendo Roba

Smash Cadet
If she is a separate character, she looks like more of a clone than Melee Roy. And that makes me lose a lot of faith in this game's development...

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Marth's Nair swings twice. However Lucina appears to swing it 3 times

When's the last time we've seen Marth's Nair? And it looks more like a twirl instead of three slashes, but it's hard to tell with the 30 fps video.

And, well, that's just one slightly different move. Like if Dr. Mario only had bouncy pills instead of fireballs and he was a costume. I've been saying she's slightly different all along. :p

If she is a separate character, she looks like more of a clone than Melee Roy. And that makes me lose a lot of faith in this game's development...
Yeah, pretty much. I'd rather have her be a costume then be Marth - tipper.

payasofobia

Smash Champion
Agreed.

Lucina's reveal made me throw up a little.

First, Fire Emblem gets 4 reps which my inner autist can't stand, as the entire roster feels out of balance.

It doesn't help that she is another blue-haired swordsman whose entire shtick was impersonating Marth.

Then she turns out to be, at best, another differentiated clone.

And the ambiguity surrounding her reveal just makes that slightly worse, overall.

The bright side is that she might represent the return of Roy's faster moveset, but still...

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
If she's a costume, though, she would have to have the exact same moves as Marth that do the same things, and move in the same way. She could share the same slot with Marth, but not as a costume. Maybe something like when choosing Zelda/Shiek in Brawl, except you can't change character during battle.

KimmotMan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kimmotman
3DS FC
3780-9150-0743
I believe she will Share the same character slot as Marth. Alternate character swaps for characters. She has a newcomer status because, unlike Wii Fit Trainer, Robin, and the Villagers, They don't share the same name, and they are different characters. She is a New character, just under the same moveset as Marth. They're using this method to expand the roster without having to program more movesets.

Dark Pit can go into this category as well, and the reason why I don't think he's on the site, is because either he will share the name "Pit" or Sakurai just wanted to tease us at the end of the Palutena Trailer.

This being said, I think we can expect more Re-skined characters. Maybe we can expect characters like Ninten for Ness, Ms. Pac-Man for Pac-Man or even Alph for Captain Olimar. We'll see!

Last edited:

Ryan.

Smash Lord
Now that I think about it, it is possible her and Marth could share a character slot, but you can toggle between Marth and Lucina somehow, or as you switch through the costumes the announcer will say "Lucina" and she will still be her own character. However, I don't know where we got that from, there has been clones before in separate slots.

I just posted this on another thread but I made this really quick in GIMP. The larger box thing doesn't mean anything I don't think. She has the larger box on the mobile version of the site, but on the desktop she does not, because it would look disorganized like this if she did, with those two empty veteran spaces. So I think when we get a veteran it will fix things and Lucina will have her larger newcomer box.

Last edited:

payasofobia

Smash Champion
Hey, maybe clones count as toggled characters now so everyone can be happy when ur mom is so fat she is fat.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Because until Sakurai clears everything up, anything he shows is a veritable Schroidinger's cat?

Thanks, I'll update the OP in a moment.

...I'm not going to reply to all of you individually. Let me elaborate on my stance on that she's a costume.

First, like I said, she's clearly not on the same level as other newcomers. It could be because she's a clone or costume. Yes, I've heard the mobile site has a larger box for her, but the normal site still has a small box. That point still stands. I'll go ahead and edit the OP. Yes, Villager's costume change his face and gender, but they're not really different characters, they're all basically the same blank slate. If she had unique moves, wouldn't they of shown at least one? Different hitboxes? Like, very slightly different because she stands differently. Why would a costume be revealed like a character? Because she's a different character, represented as a costume.

Dark Pit... Lemme go off on a tangent for a moment. The Kid Icarus series already has a stage for each game, and DP isn't a hazard for either. (Doesn't make a significant appearance in either area in KIU, both already have quite a few gimmicks.) He was already "playable" in Brawl and was hinted at being playable in Palutena's trailer. We've even have a costume that changes a character's voice: Male WFT. Why give Lucina a spot on the site, and not DP? There's a multitude of possible reasons, but I've gone on for long enough about him. Unless you want me go keep going off topic? Dark Pit is in the game, and is most likely the same thing Lucina is. ...Whatever she is.
If Dark Pit and Lucina are the same thing, why did lucina get a splash and character page and not dark pit?

Blakexd9

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Blakexd9
3DS FC
3566-1543-3794
I'm still going with her being her own character. Isn't Sakurai making an effort to not have 2 characters in the same slot ala ZSS, Charizard, and Sheik?

Rocket Raccoon

Subject: 89P13
Writing Team
She's a character. Why don't Male Wii Fit Trainer & Female Villager have their own pages?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

As I recently said on the Character thread:
Now that I think about it, I see Lucina as a "Mizuki".

Explanation: In Naruto: Clash of Ninja 2 for the Gamecube, there was a character, Mizuki, who could be selected like an alternate appearance for the character Iruka (like starting a match without a mask as Haku or playing a match as long-haired Sakura).
He had the same exact moveset aside from three gameplay differences (his midair projectile was a shuriken instead of two kunai, his upwards projectile was two shuriken instead of four kunai, and his upwards melee attack dealt knockback instead of stagger), but he had different voice clips and even a different intro and victory animation.

Technically
a separate character, but at the same time, an alt.
Just like Lucina, Mizuki was labeled his own character. But he STILL was just an alt of Iruka.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I'm still going with her being her own character. Isn't Sakurai making an effort to not have 2 characters in the same slot ala ZSS, Charizard, and Sheik?
Not exactly. That was because they decided to get rid of transformations to allow people to focus on a single move set.

Lucina doesn't really have a unique move set...

Last edited:

ihskeyp

Smash Ace
Not exactly. That was because they decided to get rid of transformations to allow people to focus on a single move set.

Actually her sword hits differently than Marths. Martha is stronger at the tip, but Lucinas is equal strength no matter where you get hit with it.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Actually her sword hits differently than Marths. Martha is stronger at the tip, but Lucinas is equal strength no matter where you get hit with it.
Huh? How exactly do we know this? Isn't that something that could only be learned by playing the game ourselves, or through an official announcement? I don't see how this can be determined by some brief game footage.

Turokman5896

Smash Lord
She is just a bunch of wasted potential at this point. The fact that we are discussing whether she is a carbon copy shows that she is not unique enough to warrant a slot.

Blakexd9

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Blakexd9
3DS FC
3566-1543-3794

That's still two characters within one slot, no matter how you look at it.

As far as we know Lucina could have completely unique moves. We haven't seen everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom