• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Data Lucina Hitbox Visualization

Furil

Smash Apprentice
Notes:
Hitbox Drag exists, but is NOT displayed here
It may be visualized in the future.

The cyan hitboxes are defensive hitboxes. I assume they shield stuff, but I don't know.

There are chances my little program has bugs and could have messed up any one of these.
Let me know if any look really off and I'll check.
Lucina has some weird stuff with which bone belongs to the sword, so it's possible I missed something.

Edit: Correct this one. Thanks, Vipermoon64!

DANCING BLADE

If anyone wants to see a comparison with the current patch VS the base game, let me know.
Alternartly, if you want me to disable the "defensive" hitboxes,as they have that overlap hitboxes and cover them up.

And before anyone asks, my program can't open Marth's model yet, so I don't plan on doing him for a bit.
I could give Lucina his skeleton and stuff (Marth is slightly taller, I think), but that is a tad more work, and for Marth I want to try and get hurtbox data (Does anyone know where to find this?)

Thank you

Last edited:

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
Great work! I'll add it to the Resource Thread in a bit! I'd love to see comparisons between the current build and the base game.

EDIT: Actually, I'm going to sticky this!
EDIT2: Pinned!

Last edited:

Furil

Smash Apprentice
So I wanted to ask an opinion on this.

Smash hitboxes interpolate between the current frame and previous frame.
So far I've been ignoring this, because it can vary depending how you're moving in-game and what not.
But I've been experimenting on showing the stationary drag.

With the current display method, it get's visually messy.
http://i.imgur.com/9mqpzH9.gif

So this is the alternate I came up with.
http://i.imgur.com/wEBKNpI.gif

So would it be better to display drag?
And if so, which method looks the best?
(interpolated extended hitboxes are going to be crazy...)

FlynnCL

Smash Journeyman
So I wanted to ask an opinion on this.

Smash hitboxes interpolate between the current frame and previous frame.
So far I've been ignoring this, because it can vary depending how you're moving in-game and what not.
But I've been experimenting on showing the stationary drag.

With the current display method, it get's visually messy.
http://i.imgur.com/9mqpzH9.gif

So this is the alternate I came up with.
http://i.imgur.com/wEBKNpI.gif

So would it be better to display drag?
And if so, which method looks the best?
(interpolated extended hitboxes are going to be crazy...)
Showing hitbox drag would be very helpful for studying max range for swing based attacks (especially something like Sheik's forward air)! Your alternative looks really nice, but would there be any worry of it hiding smaller hitboxes within larger ones (like Lightning Kick sweetspots?).

I wonder what Cloud's up air would look like with drag. Probably something like this.

Last edited:

Sammi Husky

Smash Apprentice
Good stuff! Glad someone got around to this before i did, it would have taken me ages :)

Bowserboy3

Asking mum how to talk to a lady
NNID
Bowserboy3
Fantastic work! I am still waiting for Marth's hitboxes (mainly so I can see the tip hitboxes and see how much leeway there is on the tip), but this will tide me over until then.

Great stuff OP!

Vipermoon

King Marth's most trusted advisor.
Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
Bowserboy3 Bowserboy3 Marth's hitboxes are in the same locations. You have all you need from looking at Lucina.

Furil Furil Thanks for taking this on!

I like option 1 more. Too many things will be hidden by option 2. A slightly less transparent version of option 1 could work too.

This is an issue with how Marth's hitboxes aren't active that long but:
unless it means you have do it all over again, can you slow down the GIFs? It's pretty hard to see everything. If time is an issue, you don't have to show the entire animation. Much of the cooldown animation is usually interruptible anyway.

Also, it's tough to see at this speed, but it looks like you have the 4th (size 2.0) hitboxes missing for Dash Attack (bone 14), Utilt (bone 14), Fsmash (bone 13), Dsmash (bone 15), and Nair (bone 15) missing. They are the only normals that retained the body hitboxes (other than bone 16) Marth lost in the transition to Smash 4 (they are still way smaller than before of course).

I don't see the frame 11 (size 4.6) spike hitbox for Dair either.

Usmash's hitbox 0x2 looks smaller than 0x0, but they should be the same size (5.8). Maybe it's mind tricks.

Dolphin Slash: you're right that it looks weird. This is because you have the sweetspot (11%) hitboxes lasting until frame 11 (like the others). They are only active from frames 5-6. This reminds me, do you plan on showing things like intangibility, partial invincibility, and armor eventually?

Defensive hitboxes: they don't mean anything to us right now (we don't know what they do yet) and are very distracting. I think they should be removed completely or covered up entirely by other hitboxes (more coverage than your picture has; full circle).

Last edited:

Furil

Smash Apprentice
This is an issue with how Marth's hitboxes aren't active that long but:
unless it means you have do it all over again, can you slow down the GIFs? It's pretty hard to see everything. If time is an issue, you don't have to show the entire animation. Much of the cooldown animation is usually interruptible anyway.
It would be more work to have less frame. I may reupload to gfycat eventually, though.
Also, it's tough to see at this speed, but it looks like you have the 4th (size 2.0) hitboxes missing for Dash Attack (bone 14), Utilt (bone 14), Fsmash (bone 13), Dsmash (bone 15), and Nair (bone 15) missing. They are the only normals that retained the body hitboxes (other than bone 16) Marth lost in the transition to Smash 4 (they are still way smaller than before of course).
They ARE there, but were covered up by the defensive ones, it seems.
http://imgur.com/32grDMe
I don't see the frame 11 (size 4.6) spike hitbox for Dair either.
It's there: http://imgur.com/akrcDXD
Usmash's hitbox 0x2 looks smaller than 0x0, but they should be the same size (5.8). Maybe it's mind tricks.
Mind tricks :)
These values weren't entered manually; they are read directly from the script.
Dolphin Slash: you're right that it looks weird. This is because you have the sweetspot (11%) hitboxes lasting until frame 11 (like the others). They are only active from frames 5-6.
Ah, yes a little bug that has since been fixed. I'll update it asap.
This reminds me, do you plan on showing things like intangibility, partial invincibility, and armor eventually?
Eh, maybe? It depends if I know how to read it :)
Defensive hitboxes: they don't mean anything to us right now (we don't know what they do yet) and are very distracting. I think they should be removed completely or covered up entirely by other hitboxes (more coverage than your picture has; full circle).
I didn't realize I had them so big (they are supposed to match the size of the hitbox around them).
I'll remove/shrink them when I update the animations next...
I'm very very sorry about that :(

Edit:
And another visualization I've been playing with is this:
(Ignore the tiny ones, they are the defensive indicators that I keep forgetting to remove...)
You can see the angle the box will send them. The downside is they get covered up sometimes...

Last edited:

Vipermoon

Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
It would be more work to have less frame. I may reupload to gfycat eventually, though.

They ARE there, but were covered up by the defensive ones, it seems.
http://imgur.com/32grDMe

It's there: http://imgur.com/akrcDXD

Mind tricks :)
These values weren't entered manually; they are read directly from the script.

Ah, yes a little bug that has since been fixed. I'll update it asap.

Eh, maybe? It depends if I know how to read it :)

I didn't realize I had them so big (they are supposed to match the size of the hitbox around them).
I'll remove/shrink them when I update the animations next...
I'm very very sorry about that :(

Edit:
And another visualization I've been playing with is this:
(Ignore the tiny ones, they are the defensive indicators that I keep forgetting to remove...)
You can see the angle the box will send them. The downside is they get covered up sometimes...
Your other visualization is perfect. You can pause on the frame you want to check out. Currently you have to spend a lot of time looking at it over and over to even attempt to look at things like that tiny body hitbox or how far the hitbox goes past the sword.

If it's easier to slow the GIF down than do it this new way, it might have to be even 1/2 the speed.

I'm not sure how you're doing it, but maybe others can help? I'd be willing to give you my time if this is a man-hour kind of situation.

The angles on the back hit of Utilt are 85 degrees in the other direction. The sword hitboxes are showing 105 degrees while the others are correctly at 85. Maybe it isn't recognizing that the sword is behind the character so the angles weren't flipped?

Edit: other than that, sometimes the sword shows through the hitboxes. Is it because the hitboxes are in 2 dimensions there?

Last edited:

Bowserboy3

Asking mum how to talk to a lady
NNID
Bowserboy3
Bowserboy3 Bowserboy3 Marth's hitboxes are in the same locations. You have all you need from looking at Lucina.
Oh, really? So there really is that much room to tip Fsmash? From experience, I'd have thought that there was only say, this much room to tip Fsmash. Is there something i'm missing? It definitely feels like Marth's tip on Fsmash isn't that big... perhaps I am just very wrong.

Fsmash.jpg

Vipermoon

Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
Oh, really? So there really is that much room to tip Fsmash? From experience, I'd have thought that there was only say, this much room to tip Fsmash. Is there something i'm missing? It definitely feels like Marth's tip on Fsmash isn't that big... perhaps I am just very wrong.

View attachment 99674
Yep, that really is how it looks like. Keep in mind as soon as that second hitbox touches, it isn't a tipper.

Melee looks the same way

Furil

Smash Apprentice
I'm not sure how you're doing it, but maybe others can help? I'd be willing to give you my time if this is a man-hour kind of situation.

The angles on the back hit of Utilt are 85 degrees in the other direction. The sword hitboxes are showing 105 degrees while the others are correctly at 85. Maybe it isn't recognizing that the sword is behind the character so the angles weren't flipped?

Edit: other than that, sometimes the sword shows through the hitboxes. Is it because the hitboxes are in 2 dimensions there?
Doing what, making the visuals or the GIFs?

Could you perhaps explain to me from where the angle is calculated?
I was assuming from 0 being directly to the right, as other attacks seem to fit.
So for example this is 90 degrees: http://imgur.com/rIk0U6Q
Code:
Hitbox(Unknown=0x0, Unknown=0x0, Unknown=0x3EA, Unknown=8.075, Unknown=0x55, Unknown=0x64, Unknown=0x0, Unknown=0x34, Unknown=3.5, Unknown=0, Unknown=0, Unknown=2, Unknown=0x2, Unknown=0, Unknown=1, Unknown=1, Unknown=0x1, Unknown=0x1, Unknown=0x0, Unknown=0x1, Unknown=0x3, Unknown=0x3, Unknown=0x1, Unknown=0xA)
Hitbox(Unknown=0x1, Unknown=0x0, Unknown=0x16, Unknown=8.075, Unknown=0x64, Unknown=0x64, Unknown=0x0, Unknown=0x34, Unknown=3, Unknown=0, Unknown=0, Unknown=0, Unknown=0x2, Unknown=0, Unknown=1, Unknown=1, Unknown=0x1, Unknown=0x1, Unknown=0x0, Unknown=0x1, Unknown=0x3, Unknown=0x3, Unknown=0x1, Unknown=0xA)
Hitbox(Unknown=0x2, Unknown=0x0, Unknown=0xE, Unknown=8.075, Unknown=0x64, Unknown=0x64, Unknown=0x0, Unknown=0x34, Unknown=2, Unknown=0, Unknown=0, Unknown=0, Unknown=0x2, Unknown=0, Unknown=1, Unknown=1, Unknown=0x1, Unknown=0x1, Unknown=0x0, Unknown=0x1, Unknown=0x3, Unknown=0x3, Unknown=0x1, Unknown=0xA)
Hitbox(Unknown=0x3, Unknown=0x0, Unknown=0x3EA, Unknown=8.075, Unknown=0x55, Unknown=0x64, Unknown=0x0, Unknown=0x34, Unknown=3.5, Unknown=0, Unknown=0, Unknown=6.7, Unknown=0x2, Unknown=0, Unknown=1, Unknown=1, Unknown=0x1, Unknown=0x1, Unknown=0x0, Unknown=0x1, Unknown=0x3, Unknown=0x3, Unknown=0x1, Unknown=0xA)
And, yes the angle hitbubbles are 2d images instead of 3d spheres.

Vipermoon

Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
Doing what, making the visuals or the GIFs?

Could you perhaps explain to me from where the angle is calculated?
I was assuming from 0 being directly to the right, as other attacks seem to fit.
So for example this is 90 degrees: http://imgur.com/rIk0U6Q
Code:
Hitbox(Unknown=0x0, Unknown=0x0, Unknown=0x3EA, Unknown=8.075, Unknown=0x55, Unknown=0x64, Unknown=0x0, Unknown=0x34, Unknown=3.5, Unknown=0, Unknown=0, Unknown=2, Unknown=0x2, Unknown=0, Unknown=1, Unknown=1, Unknown=0x1, Unknown=0x1, Unknown=0x0, Unknown=0x1, Unknown=0x3, Unknown=0x3, Unknown=0x1, Unknown=0xA)
Hitbox(Unknown=0x1, Unknown=0x0, Unknown=0x16, Unknown=8.075, Unknown=0x64, Unknown=0x64, Unknown=0x0, Unknown=0x34, Unknown=3, Unknown=0, Unknown=0, Unknown=0, Unknown=0x2, Unknown=0, Unknown=1, Unknown=1, Unknown=0x1, Unknown=0x1, Unknown=0x0, Unknown=0x1, Unknown=0x3, Unknown=0x3, Unknown=0x1, Unknown=0xA)
Hitbox(Unknown=0x2, Unknown=0x0, Unknown=0xE, Unknown=8.075, Unknown=0x64, Unknown=0x64, Unknown=0x0, Unknown=0x34, Unknown=2, Unknown=0, Unknown=0, Unknown=0, Unknown=0x2, Unknown=0, Unknown=1, Unknown=1, Unknown=0x1, Unknown=0x1, Unknown=0x0, Unknown=0x1, Unknown=0x3, Unknown=0x3, Unknown=0x1, Unknown=0xA)
Hitbox(Unknown=0x3, Unknown=0x0, Unknown=0x3EA, Unknown=8.075, Unknown=0x55, Unknown=0x64, Unknown=0x0, Unknown=0x34, Unknown=3.5, Unknown=0, Unknown=0, Unknown=6.7, Unknown=0x2, Unknown=0, Unknown=1, Unknown=1, Unknown=0x1, Unknown=0x1, Unknown=0x0, Unknown=0x1, Unknown=0x3, Unknown=0x3, Unknown=0x1, Unknown=0xA)
And, yes the angle hitbubbles are 2d images instead of 3d spheres.
Doing the thing you said would take long (the gifs you currently have in the Lucina thread). Unless you'd rather switch everything to what you did with the Sheik thread (which I definitely don't have a problem with). Either way, if man-hours is the issue, I can lend a hand. PM me and/or post in some of your threads for help if that's the case. Lots of people would show support I'm sure (for anything, not just GIF speed)

Yeah so you should switch the sword hitbox and body hitbox angles (I was wrong about the backwards body hits, those are still 100 degrees like the front). Angles assume the attacker is facing right, correct. However, if the opponent's ECB is behind the attacker, duringmost attacks, they knockback is backwards. Like how in any Smash game you see Marth get a tipper Fsmash on frame 10 and they get sent the other direction. Go to 18:27.

Obviously that's 90 degrees lol.

As far as how you which moves don't have backwards knockback property? I don't know. Lavani Lavani or Shaya Shaya could probably tell you how to find out

Last edited:

Furil

Smash Apprentice
Yeah so you should switch the sword hitbox and body hitbox angles (I was wrong about the backwards body hits, those are still 100 degrees like the front). Angles assume the attacker is facing right, correct. However, if the opponent's ECB is behind the attacker, during most attacks, they knockback is backwards. Like how in any Smash game you see Marth get a tipper Fsmash on frame 10 and they get sent the other direction. Go to 18:27.
Ah, so this would be a better display?
I'm not sure if I'll replace the bubble with the angle indicators, but I will definitely consider using gfycats instead of gifs. Being able to pause and frame advance is a useful tool.

As far as how you which moves don't have backwards knockback property? I don't know.
I think special hit-boxes have an indicator. I'll look into it.

Obviously that's 90 degrees lol.
Heheh, what I meant was if 0 is to the right. Some games use 0 being the top, so 90 degrees would be going to the right. I'm pretty sure smash uses 0, though.

HimaBook

Smash Cadet
As far as how you which moves don't have backwards knockback property? I don't know.
35th parameter of special hitbox (called "angle flipper" or "facing restriction") indicates that.

Each value means as below.
0x0 :normal
0x1&0x3 :only knockback to direction attacker facing(e.g. Ryu's Fair, Villager's Fsmash)
0x4 :only knockback to direction attacker NOT facing(e.g. Sheik's Bair)

So moves of 0x1&0x3,0x4 don't have backwards knockback.

Last edited:

Vipermoon

Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
Ah, so this would be a better display?
I'm not sure if I'll replace the bubble with the angle indicators, but I will definitely consider using gfycats instead of gifs. Being able to pause and frame advance is a useful tool.

I think special hit-boxes have an indicator. I'll look into it.

Heheh, what I meant was if 0 is to the right. Some games use 0 being the top, so 90 degrees would be going to the right. I'm pretty sure smash uses 0, though.
Yup, I can't see anyone having a problem with these. Everytime I viewed those it was on mobile so I had no idea if they were gifycats. Just simple apple quicktime play button on iphone

Ah okay.

The angles aren't absolutely necessary but it is cool since, sure, KH will tell you which hitboxes have which angles, but it won't show you where they are of course (though it will list them by hitbox ID) or specify reversible knockback

Last edited:

Vipermoon

Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
I'm looking at DB3-down and thinking that no way the tip isn't covered. I try it in training and the hitboxes seem to match the sword perfectly.

Any idea why yours shows otherwise? I know this move doesn't mount hitboxes on the sword.

Furil

Smash Apprentice
I can't really space myself perfectly enough to yield a glancing blow, but this is the best I got.
Since the attack isn't attached to a bone, the size and position should be fine, but you never know.

Vipermoon

Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
Yeah, I just wasn't able to get as much of a deadzone as it shows here. For me, just about at that distance it hits.

Vipermoon

Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
Nice! The reason I say that is because I played with it some more and I still wasn't able to get the phantom hit. It's really difficult to space with how you have to do DB1, 2, and then account for 3rd's huge forward step.

Furil

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, I kept trying and still couldn't get it.

Could it have something to do with the unknowns in the code?
Code:
Asynchronous_Timer(Frames=8)
unk_AC811479(Unknown=0x3EA, Unknown=0x2)
Extended_Special_Hitbox(Unknown=0x0, Unknown=0x0, Unknown=0x0, Unknown=4.75, Unknown=0x2C, Unknown=0x1C, Unknown=0x0, Unknown=0x32, Unknown=4.6, Unknown=0, Unknown=5.6, Unknown=14, Unknown=0x19, Unknown=0, Unknown=1, Unknown=1, Unknown=0x0, Unknown=0x1, Unknown=0x1, Unknown=0x2, Unknown=0x3, Unknown=0x3, Unknown=0x1, Unknown=0xA, Unknown=0x3F, Unknown=0x0, Unknown=0xF, Unknown=0x0, Unknown=0x1, Unknown=0x0, Unknown=0x0, Unknown=0x0, Unknown=0x0, Unknown=0x0, Unknown=0x3, Unknown=0x0, Unknown=0x0, Unknown=0x0, Unknown=0x0, Unknown=0x0, Unknown=0, Unknown=7, Unknown=10)
Extended_Special_Hitbox(Unknown=0x1, Unknown=0x0, Unknown=0x0, Unknown=4.75, Unknown=0x2C, Unknown=0x1C, Unknown=0x0, Unknown=0x32, Unknown=3, Unknown=0, Unknown=4, Unknown=18, Unknown=0x19, Unknown=0, Unknown=1, Unknown=1, Unknown=0x0, Unknown=0x1, Unknown=0x1, Unknown=0x2, Unknown=0x3, Unknown=0x3, Unknown=0x1, Unknown=0xA, Unknown=0x3F, Unknown=0x0, Unknown=0xF, Unknown=0x0, Unknown=0x1, Unknown=0x0, Unknown=0x0, Unknown=0x0, Unknown=0x0, Unknown=0x0, Unknown=0x3, Unknown=0x0, Unknown=0x0, Unknown=0x0, Unknown=0x0, Unknown=0x0, Unknown=0, Unknown=7, Unknown=10)
unk_853CD75E(unknown=0x1)
Asynchronous_Timer(Frames=11)
Remove_All_Hitboxes()
Set_bit(Unknown=0x2100000E)
Asynchronous_Timer(Frames=13)
Set_bit(Unknown=0x21000011)
Asynchronous_Timer(Frames=40)
Clear_bit(Unknown=0x2100000E)
Script_End()

Vipermoon

Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
Yeah, I kept trying and still couldn't get it.

Could it have something to do with the unknowns in the code?
Code:
Asynchronous_Timer(Frames=8)
unk_AC811479(Unknown=0x3EA, Unknown=0x2)
Extended_Special_Hitbox(Unknown=0x0, Unknown=0x0, Unknown=0x0, Unknown=4.75, Unknown=0x2C, Unknown=0x1C, Unknown=0x0, Unknown=0x32, Unknown=4.6, Unknown=0, Unknown=5.6, Unknown=14, Unknown=0x19, Unknown=0, Unknown=1, Unknown=1, Unknown=0x0, Unknown=0x1, Unknown=0x1, Unknown=0x2, Unknown=0x3, Unknown=0x3, Unknown=0x1, Unknown=0xA, Unknown=0x3F, Unknown=0x0, Unknown=0xF, Unknown=0x0, Unknown=0x1, Unknown=0x0, Unknown=0x0, Unknown=0x0, Unknown=0x0, Unknown=0x0, Unknown=0x3, Unknown=0x0, Unknown=0x0, Unknown=0x0, Unknown=0x0, Unknown=0x0, Unknown=0, Unknown=7, Unknown=10)
Extended_Special_Hitbox(Unknown=0x1, Unknown=0x0, Unknown=0x0, Unknown=4.75, Unknown=0x2C, Unknown=0x1C, Unknown=0x0, Unknown=0x32, Unknown=3, Unknown=0, Unknown=4, Unknown=18, Unknown=0x19, Unknown=0, Unknown=1, Unknown=1, Unknown=0x0, Unknown=0x1, Unknown=0x1, Unknown=0x2, Unknown=0x3, Unknown=0x3, Unknown=0x1, Unknown=0xA, Unknown=0x3F, Unknown=0x0, Unknown=0xF, Unknown=0x0, Unknown=0x1, Unknown=0x0, Unknown=0x0, Unknown=0x0, Unknown=0x0, Unknown=0x0, Unknown=0x3, Unknown=0x0, Unknown=0x0, Unknown=0x0, Unknown=0x0, Unknown=0x0, Unknown=0, Unknown=7, Unknown=10)
unk_853CD75E(unknown=0x1)
Asynchronous_Timer(Frames=11)
Remove_All_Hitboxes()
Set_bit(Unknown=0x2100000E)
Asynchronous_Timer(Frames=13)
Set_bit(Unknown=0x21000011)
Asynchronous_Timer(Frames=40)
Clear_bit(Unknown=0x2100000E)
Script_End()
This is beyond me but hopefully we can figure this out

Furil

Smash Apprentice
So having the shield graphic display them still looks to line up with what I have...
(Note the glow of the shield makes it appear smaller than it actually is, it does in-fact line up with the gif)
This is weird...

Sammi Husky

Smash Apprentice
It's likely that it does have something to do with the unknown commands. The first one's first parameter looks like a bone index for the sword. What its doing though, i have no idea

Furil

Smash Apprentice
It's the bone to the sword head (black? dot around hand). I can't imagine it affecting the hitboxes, since the hitboxes aren't attached to anything, right?
It may just be doing something to the bone. And it's definitely not setting the hitboxes to be attached to that bone or anything.
I don't feel like unk_853CD75E is anything too important here, since its only value is a 1.

I managed to get a glancing blow with the hitbox indicators active. I tried really hard to line it up the best I could.
It looks a little more reasonable than the one above, but still, very strange.

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
I'm not sure if that's related. Marth's DB3-down has different parameters for that (Unknown_AC8(Unknown=0x14, Unknown=0xFFFFFFFF); arm?) but has the same hitbox data and seemingly behavior ingame.

Looking at the above (I guess I was slow getting to this), I'm gonna guess Megaman just has odd hurtboxes that made us think there was a problem when there really wasn't.

If I may ask, how are you overlaying shield bubbles on hitboxes ingame? I was actually thinking about that the other day, but I don't know where the code for shield graphics are (I know where the textures are for shields and I know how to add stuff to effects files though).

Last edited:

Sammi Husky

Smash Apprentice
You can call graphics in ACMD with External_Graphic. The first param is identical to how it was in brawl. XXXXYYYY where X is the effect file ID and Y is the graphic ID itself (usually it's index in the effect file). Im not sure if the shield graphic is called using it, but it probably can be called from it!

At one point i was going to write an ASM patch to call the external graphic command with the same parameters as the hitbox's size and positions every time a hitbox was created for a sort of "debug mode" like experience. But i never ended up doing it. I think @shinyquagsire23 started looking into it as well and actually made some progress.

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
You can call graphics in ACMD with External_Graphic. The first param is identical to how it was in brawl. XXXXYYYY where X is the effect file ID and Y is the graphic ID itself (usually it's index in the effect file). Im not sure if the shield graphic is called using it, but it probably can be called from it!

At one point i was going to write an ASM patch to call the external graphic command with the same parameters as the hitbox's size and positions every time a hitbox was created for a sort of "debug mode" like experience. But i never ended up doing it. I think @shinyquagsire23 started looking into it as well and actually made some progress.
Excellent, got it working. Thanks muchly. ❤ Unfortunately it looks like if the bone a graphic is tied to is enlarged during an attack the shield graphic is too, so this isn't going to be as useful for my purposes as I hoped, but it's still something.

Some followup questions:
  1. I noticed color_overlay is a thing. Can this be applied to called graphics?
  2. What's the command to remove a called graphic? Terminate=0x1 makes them expire at the end of the animation, but I'd like them gone at the end of the active frames.
I hope I'm not derailing the thread, this is still technically related to hitbox visualization ;w;

Sammi Husky

Smash Apprentice
There should be a command to terminate specific graphics somewhere... i just haven't found it yet :p
Also, Color_Overlay is just for applying a color over a character. Like roy while charging his neutral B. This is best used for stuff like showing invincibility and such.

Jiom

Smash Journeyman
Do you know if being grounded/airborne changes the way hitboxes work? If the other character is in the air I have no problem hitting with the last few frames of Upair but against grounded opponents it just seems like the move completely misses where it should hit.

Vipermoon

Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
That reminds me, Furil Furil

Can we get aerial Dancing Blade please? The animations are different for aerial (they are basically a combination of Melee and Brawl's animations). The hitboxes have the same data otherwise, but since they're mounted on the sword they will still be in different areas. This may also explain DB3-down because the sword isn't extended as much in the air, and this being the only DB move without sword hitboxes, this one might actually match the animation/sword perfectly.

Last edited:

JosePollo

Smash Journeyman
For anyone wondering what "defensive boxes" are, you can think of them sort of like protective barriers over the area they cover. If a hitbox comes in contact with the defensive box, the defensive box soaks up the hit without the user's hitboxes or hurtboxes interacting with whatever hitbox it soaks up. A really good example of this is Sheik's fair. The defensive box on her hand is capable of nullifying other hitboxes while allowing the move to continue unhindered. They have the same priority as shields, so even if an opponent's hitbox is touching your own hitboxes or hurtboxes, as long as it's ALSO touching a defensive box at the same time, the defensive box will soak up the hit.

Amazing, amazing job, as always.

When can we have this for Lucas? :D

Last edited:

Vipermoon

Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
For anyone wondering what "defensive boxes" are, you can think of them sort of like protective barriers over the area they cover. If a hitbox comes in contact with the defensive box, the defensive box soaks up the hit without the user's hitboxes or hurtboxes interacting with whatever hitbox it soaks up. A really good example of this is Sheik's fair. The defensive box on her hand is capable of nullifying other hitboxes while allowing the move to continue unhindered. They have the same priority as shields, so even if an opponent's hitbox is touching your own hitboxes or hurtboxes, as long as it's ALSO touching a defensive box at the same time, the defensive box will soak up the hit.

Amazing, amazing job, as always.

When can we have this for Lucas? :D
I'm gonna need proof. I say this for two reasons. 1) well known and knowledgeable users in the boards have said and I believe continue to say that they don't really know what these are/do and 2) your description means everyone has a sword (because it seems like most moves in the game have these hitboxes) and that just isn't true

Last edited:

JosePollo

Smash Journeyman
I'm gonna need proof. I say this for two reasons. 1) well known and knowledgeable users in the boards have said and I believe continue to say that they don't really know what these are/do and 2) your description means everyone has a sword (because it seems like most moves in the game have these hitboxes) and that just isn't true
To be honest my explanation is mostly conjecture based off of playing experience, since most of the attacks that have defensive boxes on them (a lot of Bowser's, DK's, Ganondorf's, Roy's attacks) behave in exactly the way I described. There's a lot less attacks in the game with defensive boxes than you think. You also have to keep normal hitbox interactions in mind (stuff like un-interruptible aerials, hitbox clank rules, transcendence, etc.) which can make it seem like an attack has a defensive box when it doesn't (Ganondorf's tilts/smashes outright beating out other attacks instead of clanking due to the damage difference between hitboxes).

Edit: Although now that I think about it, I've really only seen it work this way when trying to hit them with PK Fire, so perhaps it only works like this against hitboxes with item priority.

Last edited:

Vipermoon

Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
Not sure if you're making a list of requests to go through on your spare time...

So just in case you are, I'm requesting:

The Grabs (supposedly Marth and Lucina have the second longest normal standing grabs behind Bowser and that's believable)
Fully charged Shield Breaker (it for some reason has size 2.5 hitboxes while not full charge has size 3.0)
Aerial Dancing Blade because of its different animations (the most important ones to see are DB3-down, DB3-up, and DB2-side in that order)
Crescent Slash (this is far less important but its hitboxes are relatively broken so I'd love to see it).

No rush, just do your thing as you please. And your thing is greatly appreciated. Alternatively, if you're doing Marth you could just include these in his (which I'd actually prefer).

Thanks again.

Top Bottom