• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Lucina and Online - How is your experience so far? Discussion about overall performance with the character.

HopeOfBlossom

Smash Rookie
I just want to talk of my overall impression I got of her after around 6h of online with her and reaching 1100000 GSP (I'm still waiting on my collector edition to get my GCN controller it's painful to play with the joycon I don't even know where I get the patience to play with this.

Ground game is okayish. Jab and dancing blades are slow to start but provide good range and nice pressure if you can space your attacks properly.

DTilt is a good tool to test the water on your opponent, coming out on frame 6 this is in my opinion her second best grounded move but leaves you quit open after it as you can block only 15 frames after the DTilt is performed. I usually us this when I know I can poke my opponent from as far as the move allows it.

FTilt is another good spacing tool as well. 1Frame worse than DTilt on recovery. You just want to use this for spacing.

Dash Attack is a no go and should only be used in case of punish (your opponent use a side air Dodge and lands on the stage or to punish a move whiffing and there is no other option left for your to punish your opponent). I do not recommand it whatsoever you'll only get yourself into trouble even if you whiff it.

Grab : Frame 6 on neutral grab, if miss frame 29 in order to shield yourself (counting frame after the initial frame 6)
Dash Grab comes out on frame 9, if miss frame 34 in order to shield yourself (counting frame after the initial frame 9)
Not much to say, it's a grab.

Throw : DThrow into UAir is true combo until 30% (maybe 35 if heavy figther but didn't test that out in training)

Up throw is your go to killing throw (kills at 180%)

Fast Fall UAir into ground Up Tilt was my most used combo online I think. Pressure is good and shield comes out on frame 9 after landing. Going for a grab on a shielding opponent also is an option.

FAir is the safest pressure option she got in my opinion if you can short hop correctly. Great range and good damage, an excellent pressure tool out of stage as well.

NAir is your bread and butter move. It covers a lot of space, starts on frame 5 and last for around 15 frames. Got a back hitbox and lading recovery is 7 frames. Imo a great tool in general.

DAir is a tricky one. It's an amazing attack that can follow up into Dancing Blade on the ground if you land the attack properly (at low percent it'll struck your opponent on the ground allowing for a dancing blade follow up, only works when your opponent is around 15% you can DAir into a dancing blade with a high finish leading to a 5 hit combo dealing 32% which isn't negligible) great tool to cross up your opponent guard going behind them in order to make your landing safe. However landing lag is insane (around 15 frames before you can shield yourself) if you get too repetitive with it you open yourself for a free DSmash attack. Great spiking tool obviously but be careful of not doing a fast fall.

I won't go too much in depths on her smash attack but FSmash is the most useful one. Hitbox is on frame 10 to 12 depending on how much you space it. The strengh of the move is that it can hit opponents on ledge from a safe distance or even people on platform (it's character specific and I didn't test everyone so I won't comment on this yet). considering how fast the move can be it's a great punishing tool on things such as dash attacks on your shield or a missed dash grab. I don't recommand to use it on neutral tho (recovery is 35 frame) so use it from a safe distance, the hitbox isn't to be taken lightly and I have punished a fair ammount of people trying to attack after a ledge recovery thinking that my attack would not reach. Practice in order to get a good feel of the move.

DSmash is Frame 6 in front and Frame 21 behind. The only good use I got of it is to punish ledge campers since you don't get invincibility for spamming the ledge. Overthat than that I do not like this move to be honnest.

UpSmash is mainly to punish people above you. I do not use it in neutral punish whatsoever so yeah i'll pass on that one.

Onto her special moves not : Dacing Blade - the Signature move of the Fire Emblem Cast (Ike aside), people think they can whatever they want in order to challenge this move... and it's mostly true. Trying to use it in neutral is foolish as the opening window is way too slow compared to any of the normal aerials, jabs and dash attacks. You'll loose in most case if you try to challenge those with your dancing blade. What you can do however is pressuring. Dancing Blade is a scary move as it comes really fast past the first swing... But it can also be really slow. By this I mean that the window you get to continue the move after the first hit is for your to decide. You can bait your opponent into thinking you'll not continue your Dancing Blade and continue it just before the end of your move. You can get creative with it. The down road of the dancing blade got hella buff and connects at high percent (you can combo the full dancing blade with the low finisher up to 100% which is crazy good to deal a lot of damage). Neutral dancing blade is also a great killing tool, it can kill your opponent at 90% if you are able to use it on the edges of the stage, let's say your opponent miss is ledge recovery, he is dead. Up Finish is situational, use it if your opponent starts to fly during the Dancing Blade combo.

Shield Breaker : Honnestly this is my favorite neutral B in the entire game. Comes out on frame 19 if not charged. A powerful blow that can destroy in one hit your opponent shield. While it is a great offensive move, it can make you gain a lot of momentum mid air if FULLY CHARGED only. This is mostly a mind game tool. Compared to Smash 4 this attack isn't as threatening as it use to be, with the introduction of the parry mechanic, a good player will punish you good time if you tend to be too spammy with it. Use it within reason, if your opponent tend to shield a lot on the same things and you get to discern a pattern in your opponent playstyle, this is where you should use it. I like to think of the neutral B as psychologic pressure tool, it's there, the move is slow and easily punishable but if your opponent takes too much confidence it can punish good time. Take it as you will I think this is Lucina best move as it can literally turn around a match. A non charged Neutral B can almost break a shield. If you can land a hit like this on your opponent shield you'll get to see your opponent playstyle. Either they'll try to put as much pressure as they can or will try to run away in order for the shield to back up. Being able to read your opponent playstyle is legit what can make your win if you are able to adapt your gameplay depending on your opponent reaction.

Counter : Oh boy oh boy oh boy... It's still an horrible move. Don't get me wrong. It's like the Neutral B a psychologic pressure tool and a succesful counter will punish your opponent good time. Why do I think it's a bad move? Well first of all the counter doesn't track your opponent, meaning that if you a counter an up smash while falling you'll block the hit and open yourself to the opponent because even on a succesfull parry the recovery is here. It also seems to be kinda of buggy (I think it was the same on smash 4) the succesful parry can still clash like a jab would clash with another clash (it won't like stop the attack but it'll simply do nothing to the opponent, that hapenned to me a lot while I was trying to parry Ness Up B, successfully countering the attack but literallynot touching Ness on the retaliation, which was kinda infuriating tbh). Do not be stupid, do not spam this move, use it to surprise your opponent or punish characters recovering with a Up B that got a wide hitbox (Link, Dk, Bowser, etc...) do not forget to align yourself at the same height as your opponent when you do this tho, otherwise the counter you'll whiff.

Dolphin Slash : Amazing Vertical recovery and a great offensive move to punish your opponent, can kill really early on the edge of the stage (100%), just do not throw this move out of nowhere, it's an Up B. Only do this when you are sure to punish, can be a good thing to mash to get out of a jab, if you can land on a platform to make it safe obviously.

My overall impression : while having a lot of great moves I feel like Lucina is kinda slow to start her moves comparing to the rest of the cast. She is an amazing fighter who can put a lot of pression at close range while maintening a somewhat safety to it. She can be scary if your opponent tend to think of what can happen in a match against her. In my opinion you should pick Lucina if you like fighters with a punish focus playstyle (this is how I play her to be honnest). She is really versatile and overall a good character.

Online tho, I feel like some moves are way slower than they should be, is it because the input lag the game is bad or something else I can't really tell (Me playing with the joycons doesn't help as well but yeah). Let me know what you think or if I said stupid stuff above. That's just my personal impression on the character.

Last edited:

roymustang1990-

Smash Ace
NNID
RoyMustang1990
That's funny how you say d throw into u air is true when the opponent has enough time to di away and try to counterAttack the u air attempt even at 0%

Last edited:

Shin Chie

Smash Apprentice
Enjoying her a lot so far and doing pretty semi decent online. (Which is an improvement since back in Smash 4 I used to get bodied hard lol.) I'm just having trouble with reading opponents and stuff like that. I used to play Lucina as a secondary in 4 and I'm enjoying her so much I'm maining her.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
She's a stable character but depending on the latency, projectiles can make the match harder than it needs to be. I've lost to some K. Rools that I know I would've beaten had it been offline.

But I imagine I see much more of her than Marth simply because trying to land tippers would double the difficulty online.

FartyParty

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-7316-5581-8026
She's a stable character but depending on the latency, projectiles can make the match harder than it needs to be. I've lost to some K. Rools that I know I would've beaten had it been offline.

But I imagine I see much more of her than Marth simply because trying to land tippers would double the difficulty online.
I can definitely relate to that sentiment about projectiles. Projectile spammers are the biggest nuisance for her.

I'm not top level, but I've been doing OK with her online. Have been winning about half my matches but starting to win more often than not in the last few days. Had my first ever 10 match win streak tonight.

Also, I think I'll just let ZeRo explain why Lucina is top tier and awesome:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PQ7wEaBFxo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPouTpTLPJ8

Last edited:

Captain Shades

Smash Ace
I love playing her online. Lucina and Daisy are great characters that I use with pretty good results.

Top Bottom