• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Lucas Secondary/Co-Main? (plz help Specs64z!)

Smash Cadet
I've done it, I've stepped into forbidden territory. I love Ness for his ability to just drown you with aerials and the magnet DJCs yet Lucas is fun for me as well due to how you're rewarded for spacing well and getting hard reads. What I see myself doing is probably having Lucas as a secondary for when I feel my Ness being heavily outspaced.

Should I just focus on one PK kid only or is using both okay?

Smash Cadet
Their playstyles are surprisingly pretty different. You should probably keep one in your pocket and focus on the other.
LOL at first I was die hard on making Lucas my new main but then I went on netplay, and you're right, Lucas will be a pocket for now :D

Specs64z

Smash Journeyman
I use both. I main Ness because he's just better in more situations. There are some differences you should be aware of to help you choose which is better for you in certain situations.
Ness is straightforward in his combos and kills, and deals lots of damage very quickly. His juggle game in particular is completely broken. However, he is vulnerable off stage and isn't very fast.
Lucas has a tiny bit more range, better speed, an amazing, varied recovery, and absolutely insane edgeguarding. His PK thunder can absolutely decimate the likes of Lucina and Shulk off stage, both characters that Ness can struggle with. However, Lucas has very limited combo options and can struggle to kill.

Basically, use Ness when you're confident you can get in and overpower your opponent. You can get early kills without too much effort and build damage quickly.

Use Lucas if you want to play a more evasive, defensive game. You will mostly rely on chipping away at foes with PK fire, zair, and fair to deal damage, but this can be made up for with good edgeguarding.

Ethan Weegee

Smash Cadet
While playing Lucas, as Specs64z noted, you're going to find he has a harder time killing compared to Ness, so when you do get opponents offstage, edge guarding as Lucas is very important.

Smash Cadet
I use both. I main Ness because he's just better in more situations. There are some differences you should be aware of to help you choose which is better for you in certain situations.
Ness is straightforward in his combos and kills, and deals lots of damage very quickly. His juggle game in particular is completely broken. However, he is vulnerable off stage and isn't very fast.
Lucas has a tiny bit more range, better speed, an amazing, varied recovery, and absolutely insane edgeguarding. His PK thunder can absolutely decimate the likes of Lucina and Shulk off stage, both characters that Ness can struggle with. However, Lucas has very limited combo options and can struggle to kill.

Basically, use Ness when you're confident you can get in and overpower your opponent. You can get early kills without too much effort and build damage quickly.

Use Lucas if you want to play a more evasive, defensive game. You will mostly rely on chipping away at foes with PK fire, zair, and fair to deal damage, but this can be made up for with good edgeguarding.
While playing Lucas, as Specs64z noted, you're going to find he has a harder time killing compared to Ness, so when you do get opponents offstage, edge guarding as Lucas is very important.
Thank you guys SO much! Yeah, I will stick with Ness as a primary, but Lucas is finally giving me that spice I was looking for. Is it weird that I find myself recovering better with Ness' thunder after using Lucas' for a while?

Mr Saturn Fanboy

Smash Apprentice
but Lucas is finally giving me that spice I was looking for. Is it weird that I find myself recovering better with Ness' thunder after using Lucas' for a while?
Lucas' Rocket goes signifigantly farther than Ness', so the practice was probably good for your recovery.

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
Looks like I'm here to all your threads late, ha. I've quite the experience juggling both of these characters, and that's from game to game. Ultimate is actually the first game I decided to distance myself from practicing Lucas. In general, their moveset's are very similar at the surface level but functionally quite different. For this reason, I think it takes a great deal of practice with both for you to discern between the two in high pressure matches. Your muscle memory will screw you over if there are resorts you're used to with one character that won't pan out with the other. All that I'll say, is as the meta stands, Ness is clearly superior to Lucas in this game. As much as I miss the days of stylin on fools with those bair spikes, I think that Ness allows for more versatility and in turn more fun. I would recommend polishing a more different character as a secondary.

Top Bottom