• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Lucas' Magnet is just BETTER

The 0ne

Smash Journeyman
NNID
toady3
3DS FC
0104-2324-5980
Oh my god you guys, Lucas's PSI Magnet is SO GOOD.

It seems to heal at a ratio of about x2.5 on average! That's more than Ness and Lucas in brawl!

Also it comes out fast and ends faster than Ness's, plus the hitbox is fast, disjointed, and infinitely better than the one on Ness's custom. It like...is actually strong enough to be useful.

You literally heal 13% from MARIO'S FIREBALL.

Additionally, Lucas can use his PSI Magnet to stall for recovery much more effectively than Ness. He gets more of a horizontal boost.

THIS JUST IN: after some research done by yours truly, you can TRUE COMBO Z-air into PSI Magnet. I'll post the video in a separate thread shortly.

Another piece of new fantastic information is that when you're holding magnet out and then you release it, the hitbox is frame 1.

The only downside I guess is that, like Ness, there is a 30% healing cap.

Last edited:

TerraSky

Super Smash Goat
NNID
TarrenSky
3DS FC
0791-4190-6031
Switch FC
SW-8134-0988-3694
Has anyone else noticed the hitbox can kill near the ledge?

Da Man

Smash Lord
NNID
Tendoman77
Correct me if i'm wrong but unlike Brawl you can no longer absorb projectiles if they hit you from behind, you will get damaged instead, just tried this out against charge shots from Samus.

Last edited:

EnhaloTricks

Smash Apprentice
Correct me if i'm wrong but unlike Brawl you can no longer absorb projectiles if they hit you from behind, you will get damaged instead, just tried this out against charge shots from Samus.
No you're right. You can do turnarounds with it, though.

It gimps really well. I just forced a Roy off stage with it where he fell to his death.

Da Man

Smash Lord
NNID
Tendoman77
No you're right. You can do turnarounds with it, though.

It gimps really well. I just forced a Roy off stage with it where he fell to his death.
Figured I was right since I could had sworn PK Magnet in Brawl covered both sides of Lucas, haven't played the game for aaaaages now.

And yeah I agree, really has good horizontal knockback, but that nerf I mentioned does need to be noted.

Also I don't think you can do that zap jump thing with PK Fire and this together anymore.

Last edited:

PKPenguin

Smash Rookie
I've found that pivoting it in the air so that you hold it in front of you as you move backwards (or just outright using it to cancel vertical momentum from a shorthop and floating forwards with it in front of you) is a pretty good spacing option, too.

Last edited:

BibbledyJello

Smash Cadet
NNID
gwitherspoon5
3DS FC
0962-9185-6296
Wow, sad the Zap Jump is gone.

Last edited:

Pretty Princess

Smash Cadet
NNID
lordgooomy
3DS FC
0559-7269-5928
Things like this make me excited to learn how to use Lucas -- all of his specials seem really (frozen) solid!

Coro_

Smash Apprentice
PSI Magnet's lingering hitbox is so good wow
I can't bait it out with a projectile and run behind it to get grabs like with Ness, I just get hit backwards haha

Gringaer

Smash Cadet
NNID
Gringaer
Ness' magnet got buffed too in the same ways. It atleast comes out faster. The only difference is that lucas' comes out in one direction and does damage.

BibbledyJello

Smash Cadet
NNID
gwitherspoon5
3DS FC
0962-9185-6296
I know I'm going to sound like I just pulled in from stupid town, but what are the requirements to hit with Lucas's PSI Magnet? I know that enemies go in, and go flying horizontally when you let go, but is there a certain amount of time they must be in there, and does their whole body have to be submerged for it to work?

ToastMiller

Smash Apprentice
I know I'm going to sound like I just pulled in from stupid town, but what are the requirements to hit with Lucas's PSI Magnet? I know that enemies go in, and go flying horizontally when you let go, but is there a certain amount of time they must be in there, and does their whole body have to be submerged for it to work?
theres only a small hitbox in the center of magnet, and its only active for a few frames during the moves end.

SpaceJell0

Smash Ace
NNID
SpaceJell0
3DS FC
0104-0342-5999
Can someone tell me exactly how Lucas's magnet works? I try to use it offensively yet sometimes the hitbox works and sometimes it doesn't do anything.
Am I doing something wrong?

D1

Banned via Administration
I came into this thread thinking he had no hitbox on his PSI Magnet. I tend to space moves at max distance, so seeing this makes me a bit sad. Regardless Lucas seems pretty fun, having stubby limbs doesn't matter when you have PK Fire! :D

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
PSI magnet gimps are real, they're the new shine IMO. So deadly, and you can do JC magnets to move across the stage.

The 0ne

Smash Journeyman
NNID
toady3
3DS FC
0104-2324-5980
Damn I wish we had Lucas's frame data already. The zap on PSI Magnet comes out INSANELY fast. If you're holding it out, and then you just let it go, the hitbox is SUPER fast.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Damn I wish we had Lucas's frame data already. The zap on PSI Magnet comes out INSANELY fast. If you're holding it out, and then you just let it go, the hitbox is SUPER fast.
My guess is frame 2-4

Last edited:

JosePollo

Smash Journeyman
Can someone tell me exactly how Lucas's magnet works? I try to use it offensively yet sometimes the hitbox works and sometimes it doesn't do anything.
Am I doing something wrong?
Your opponent has to be literally in the center of the magnet (where the little shining spark is) for it to hit, and it only hits once you let go of the B button. Also, you can't just hit down b and let it go to hit someone, you MUST hold the b button at least for a fraction of a second. I don't know the exact data on how many frames you need to hold it for the hitbox to appear, but it IS a requirement.

Luig

Confused
Lucas's PSI magnet is a semi spike, so it's basically a better shine since fox's shine doesn't semi spike anymore. And it comes out almost as fast as shine. Lucas 20XX is here!

Last edited:

SpaceJell0

Smash Ace
NNID
SpaceJell0
3DS FC
0104-0342-5999
Your opponent has to be literally in the center of the magnet (where the little shining spark is) for it to hit, and it only hits once you let go of the B button. Also, you can't just hit down b and let it go to hit someone, you MUST hold the b button at least for a fraction of a second. I don't know the exact data on how many frames you need to hold it for the hitbox to appear, but it IS a requirement.
Ah ok, thanks! I've been trying to figure out how it works!

Lochy

Smash Ace
NNID
Lochinator
The thing I love most about the magnet is the ease of turning 180 so you could go for those delicious bair spikes offstage.

Last edited:

The 0ne

Smash Journeyman
NNID
toady3
3DS FC
0104-2324-5980
Try doing like a street fighter quarter circle in the direction you want to b reverse.

Mizzy Moe

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3883-6486-6414
I came into this thread thinking he had no hitbox on his PSI Magnet. I tend to space moves at max distance, so seeing this makes me a bit sad. Regardless Lucas seems pretty fun, having stubby limbs doesn't matter when you have PK Fire! :D
haha why you should be fine if you can keep the pressure and spacing with your palutena :p

Last edited:

Agent Emerald

Smash Journeyman
I'm pretty sure they do that so we don't have Shine 2.0: this can kill edition.

Top Bottom