• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Lucas General Discussion

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
1. Rhythmically use magnet to stall your vertical momentum while moving forward, them double jump -> airdodge -> z-air tether. If you don't have a jump, and z-air won't reach, PKT2 is you only option, so use it well.
Just a aditional thing:

If you're looking for the other side of the ledge you can use magnet to turn to the correct side to grab the ledge and avoid being obligated to use PK thunder to recover in most situations.

MysteryRevengerson

IT'S A MYSTERY TO ALL
What state does the opponent have to be in to footstool them while they're on the ground? With double jump cancel you can hit with Dair (or any aerial/OUB) before they finish staggering which of course goes into USmash.

Probably not worth looking into, but Lucas definitely has a very real footstool game that should probably get explored/implemented further in combos, DJC makes it 2gud

Nguz95

Smash Lord
I have heard from a few people that DJC retreating fair is a really safe way to pressure someone's shield. After practicing with it a little it seems that if I do it perfectly I can even hit DDDs shields and be safe from his grab. I have been hitting people's shields and waiting to see what they do. So far the general reaction is to try and grab me, which in turn lets me grab then, and then start to roll away from me, which forces me to read them. What do you guys think?

Kally Wally

Smash Ace
Take a close look at PK Freeze. Some people were saying it looked slower and bigger on yesterday's stream, but I don't know if that's actually true.

TKL97

Smash Rookie
NEUTRAL B - L's SECOND SHINE
fully charged neutral-B has a hitbox (Not just force pushing someone.) which deals 10% (Instead of damaging incrementally like down-B) and knocks your opponent diagonally forward (As opposed to pulling them over your head and back, like magnet.). Just like striking with a charged smash your charge is restored when you connect with neutral B. BTW Hammertime told me that the hitbox comes out frame 3 and has 2 frames of invincibility preceding it.

TKL97

Smash Rookie
NEUTRAL-B.. Lucas's SECOND SHINE and differences between both
Fully charged neutral-B has a hitbox (doesn't force push) which deals 10% (down-b damages incrementally.). Knocks your opponent diagonally forward, whereas magnet downB pulls your enemy over your head and backwards.). Connecting with a charged smash restores your charge and the same goes for neutral B. Down B pulls them backwards which can easily lead into a Bair, Neutral B knocks them perfectly to follow up with Fair (many other options obviously.)
* Hammertime told me that NeutralB's hitbox begins on frame 3 with 2 frames of invincibility preceding it!
soo many more combo options.. sometimes I shDair-lc-neutral b-shDownB-jcDair instead of following up with fair from neutral B. NB is nice option, however I believe that downB is more versatile.

Kally Wally

Smash Ace
PK Burst is pretty good OOS, as well. Faster and safer than Lucas' other options, but it doesn't have the best coverage.

Burnsy

Smash Lord
That information about PK Burst has been in the frame data thread for a long time, TKL97.

About a month ago I realized something about aerial PK burst that I didnt have written there, though. Aerial PK Burst doesn't have its own landing lag, and autocancels throughout the full move (autocancel only 4 frames landing lag). It does stall vertical momentum, so to get the most out of this its critical that you use the aerial version as low to the ground as you can. One example may be landing on platforms with it. If you time it right though, it can actually lead into combos on a pretty respectable number of the faster falling characters.

When I get home I really want to test this in training, to see how fast it looks when used as low as possible. N64 Fox's shine functioned somewhat similarly with it's momentum stall and land cancel.

*EDIT*: The autocancel isn't throughout, but it starts really soon after this hitbox disappears. I would still say that this combos if used on FFers at certain percent ranges, and most of the cast at certain percents if autocanceled on a platform. One thing interesting to note is that if you use the aerial version as low as possible, it will end earlier than if used grounded.

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
That information about PK Burst has been in the frame data thread for a long time, TKL97.

About a month ago I realized something about aerial PK burst that I didnt have written there, though. Aerial PK Burst doesn't have its own landing lag, and autocancels throughout the full move (autocancel only 4 frames landing lag). It does stall vertical momentum, so to get the most out of this its critical that you use the aerial version as low to the ground as you can. One example may be landing on platforms with it. If you time it right though, it can actually lead into combos on a pretty respectable number of the faster falling characters.

When I get home I really want to test this in training, to see how fast it looks when used as low as possible. N64 Fox's shine functioned somewhat similarly with it's momentum stall and land cancel.

*EDIT*: The autocancel isn't throughout, but it starts really soon after this hitbox disappears. I would still say that this combos if used on FFers at certain percent ranges, and most of the cast at certain percents if autocanceled on a platform. One thing interesting to note is that if you use the aerial version as low as possible, it will end earlier than if used grounded.

Can you provide a video of this?

Burnsy

Smash Lord
Can you provide a video of this?
Once my classes are done (Thursday next week) I will begin preparing 3.0 frame data, and will also begin working on a Lucas advanced techniques video guide. I'll include this in that guide.

Lucas' alt is soooooo siiiiiiiick
I love it. No more goofy stripe shirt and jorts. Does anyone know if there will be a redheaded "Claus" recolor of the alt?

Nguz95

Smash Lord
But... I like jorts...
If his green shirt was striped like that guy in blues clues i would game that all day every day.

HammerTime

Smash Journeyman
NEUTRAL-B.. Lucas's SECOND SHINE and differences between both
Fully charged neutral-B has a hitbox (doesn't force push) which deals 10% (down-b damages incrementally.). Knocks your opponent diagonally forward, whereas magnet downB pulls your enemy over your head and backwards.). Connecting with a charged smash restores your charge and the same goes for neutral B. Down B pulls them backwards which can easily lead into a Bair, Neutral B knocks them perfectly to follow up with Fair (many other options obviously.)
* Hammertime told me that NeutralB's hitbox begins on frame 3 with 2 frames of invincibility preceding it!
soo many more combo options.. sometimes I shDair-lc-neutral b-shDownB-jcDair instead of following up with fair from neutral B. NB is nice option, however I believe that downB is more versatile.
Whoa I totally don't even remember telling you this lol. But yea Neutral B is a pretty useful attack in certain situations. Just always keep in mind that you're vulnerable on frame 1, since the invincibility is on frames 2 and 3, and 3 is where the hitbox appears. If only he was invincible on frame 1 as well this attack would be insane for OOS options when you're being pressured, maybe even more so than a traditional shine lol.

TKL97

Smash Rookie
Important to know, my bad I remembered you said 2 frames of invincibility and the 3rd frame is hitbox so I thought invincibility frames were the first 2 frames -_- but ya that would be too ridiculous as OOS option. thanks for the correction

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Am I the only one who thinks they should really consider replacing the red recolor or a single alt costume slot with a DCMC shirt?

I'm down with that, and a Claus recolor of the UMM outfit.

NeonApophis

Smash Apprentice
- Down-b repeating hitbox refresh rate was reduced
- Down-b shield damage was significantly reduced
- Fixed a bug that prevented the >100% ledgeroll animation from completing
The nerfs are sad, but they seem pretty reasonable. Lucas still has really good shield pressure with magnet, but no longer has the option of just holding magnet on shield due to the decreased refresh rate. The decreased shield damage also makes it more difficult to break shields, but since shield stun is calculated based on damage, you're just as safe during pressure as you were in 2.6b.

MysteryRevengerson

IT'S A MYSTERY TO ALL
Shield pressure still felt pretty in tact. DACUS felt off to me though, I swear it's like every patch changes one little thing to Lucas or Globally and you have to adjust ever so slightly just to do the **** again

Veishi336

Smash Journeyman
Shield pressure still felt pretty in tact. DACUS felt off to me though, I swear it's like every patch changes one little thing to Lucas or Globally and you have to adjust ever so slightly just to do the **** again
Yea dacus does feel quite off. i was pulling it off on 2.6b the other day multiple times...but now im pulling it off like once or twice every two battles

Nguz95

Smash Lord
The fixed shield activity should be a buff anyways. Honestly i feel is compensated for the slightly weaker down b.

MysteryRevengerson

IT'S A MYSTERY TO ALL
Alright, went into training room and tried out DACUS some more, it feels like you input the USmash sooner, but holy **** it feels more fluid. It might just be me feeling things, but damn if it doesn't feel more fluid.

TheBOSS

Smash Lord
I use the charged neutral B in a variety of situations, its insanely useful. Nair to neutral b at low percentages is amazing as is Dair to neautral b. And yes, oos it is awesome for a quick punish. Also kills at higher percentages.

SpiderMad

Smash Master
I use the charged neutral B in a variety of situations, its insanely useful. Nair to neutral b at low percentages is amazing as is Dair to neautral b. And yes, oos it is awesome for a quick punish. Also kills at higher percentages.
Make some cool videos of it!

TheBOSS

Smash Lord
I'll be attending socal's SSS PM tourney on the 22nd of this month...I have a lot of people wanting to battle my lucas..I will def have vids up then :)

Burnsy

Smash Lord
Isn't that tournament now happening early in January? I was planning on going to that and my friend told me that the date had changed.

MysteryRevengerson

IT'S A MYSTERY TO ALL
Everyone loves the hair

Oh **** it's ****ing PINK FRESH. Yeah he's a Lucas main in Brawl, and a really damn good one too. He was playing on stream just yesterday at Xanadu, I guess everyone likes PM now.

Meanwhile....

~Pink Fresh~

Smash Master
Yeah, I played him in brawl lol. I can play him in this game how I wanted to in brawl, so I want to play this now ^_^

Top Bottom