• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Lucario's Doubles Partners Discussion-6/16: Diddy Kong Export Up. ROB Discussion Now!

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
Hawt weegee on oli? Sounds sexy. :V
I never though about that before though~! thanks~! Weegees one of my secondarys so I might try that out with him later~!
I remember L_Cancel teamed with one of the best MW Luigis and placed really, really high at a big tournament this way. It sounds too silly to work, but it's actually a really solid strategy that works very well.

Luigi is a pretty good character in doubles. He has ridiculous kill potential like GnW with his up-angled fsmash, powerful usmash, and obviously his up B if set up properly(which Olimar does very well thanks to ridiculous grab range plus how the grab keeps the characters far enough away that Olimar generally won't get hit by Luigi's moves), combined with his good damage racking skills, combined with the the fact that you can't really camp him in doubles that well makes him not that bad of a partner choice.

locario master

Smash Rookie
I actually thought of making this thread awhile ago but thought it would just die. But with the recent rise in activity I guess it's a good time to finally post it :lick:

We'll Be Discussing who Lucario can pair well with in doubles and do viably well in tournament.

And I'll seperate Things into these Catergories:

For Doubles:

As a Lucario:

How does the partner support you? How do you support your teammate?

What tactics or strategies should we employ? (camping, Anubis, etc.) What tactics or strategies should your partner employ?

What are the advantages for Lucario for teaming with the character in question? What are the disadvantages?

What are the overall weaknesses of the given team? What opposing characters would take advantage of these weaknesses? What are the overall strengths of the team, and which teams would these advantages work well against?

What stages should be considered for the team, and which ones should be avoided?

What is the rate of the team's overall effectiveness, and any last tips on how to make it stronger?

Exports:
King DDD

Metaknight

If you think of any way to make this thread better/more efficient please let me know.

Thread History: June 8th: created.
7/2/09: DDD export done
2/24/10: iRJi Gains Control of Thread
2/25/10: Metaknight Export
thanks for the help

Shinja

Smash Apprentice
Well, I love to do team battles a lot and Im always playing Lucario in serious doubles because hes my tip top main <3

Over the course of different people I've tagged with, I find that I personally do well with these characters on my side:
Ike
Marth
Zelda
Pit
MK
Snake

It could just be my personal choice, or the fact that I like to connect the characters together as a team, but I find Lucario is very good with them. I haven't had a Lucario/Lucario team in a while, but I don't think teaming with the same character is all that good of an idea as much as I looooove and adore the idea of a Lucario/Lucario team hah. You'd have to be in very good sync and know what your partner is doing/thinking for it to work out.

The only problem I find I have with the last two, MK and Snake, is that I get caught up in their attacks often. If I had to pick, I'd go with Marth or Zelda as a teammate. Of course, with Zelda its quite risky. She can easily be taken out if shes not played right and Lucario has to be there in order to give her a helping hand. Aura sphere is usually a good choice to help her out if hes too far away. It can give her just enough time to escape whatever shes been trapped in and get back on track. It seems like an odd team since Zelda isn't a common face, but if you ask me, they're really good together.

I'd have to look back a bit more on my team matches. It seems I've been doing them a lot and would love to get help for them. I haven't been doing as well as I'd like in teams so it was nice finding a thread like this :3

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
Anubis strategy is when Lucario 2vs1s the opposing team while his opponent either planks, runs away, or generally stock tanks to take advantage of Lucario's stock and percentage aura bonus to his attacks. It's widely accepted as the best way to play Lucario in doubles if presented the opportunity, has proven itself in many tournaments, and is generally considered the best "gimmick" based team combination in the game. You should probably ask around in the Lucario GD or the questions thread if you're curious about more things.

culexus・wau

Purchased premium only to change name ><
uh.

With the 3 best people. its not COMPLETELY over.

1. MK.

He's mother****ing Metaknight.

nuff said.

2.Game and Watch.

You have THE BUCKET THAT KILLS AT LIKE 0% WITH DI

3.Wario.

Wario's waft is very powerful.

but eh besides them its kinda bad.

IrisKong

Smash Lord
*plays pit*

doing the anubis thing works great for pit/luca. And know, you dont HAVE to play gay..but it may make things easier.

MythTrainerInfinity

Smash Champion
NNID
MTInfinity
3DS FC
2363-5671-9607
So uh... Are we gonna go back to analyzing each character or what direction is this thread headed in anyway?

Or should we just tell everyone to plank/go MK/Snake/G&W/D3/Pit and call it a day? (j/k)

iRJi

Smash Champion
I plan too when people start actually doing a bit of work. When I see that, I will restart this.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
A convo from Lee Martin and me, who recently teamed with Esca @ Hobo 24:
Lee Martin 5:15 pm
(5:14:59 PM): its completely unlegit though lolz
(5:15:35 PM): hopefully some of our team matches were recorded
(5:15:42 PM): i did a lot of lucario/pit
(5:15:43 PM): with esca
phi1ny3 5:15 pm
(5:15:53 PM): Like lets say snake has planted tons of explosives on one side to force a bad option, you just jump underneath and upB to the other side on some stages and it wrecks his setup lol
(5:15:55 PM): oh cool
(5:16:05 PM): I've always wanted to see that team
Lee Martin 5:16 pm
(5:16:28 PM): lolz yeah unless its fd lol*
phi1ny3 5:16 pm
(5:16:33 PM): lol yeah
(5:16:34 PM): it works REALLY well
(5:16:49 PM): i think its better than lucario/mk
(5:16:57 PM): as long as their is not a mk on the other team
(5:17:18 PM): bc a mk could wreck a planking pit
phi1ny3 5:17 pm
(5:17:27 PM): So there's always been a dumb question bothering me, and only because I've had it happen to me before
(5:17:40 PM): what if you had to be pitted against a "D6" team?
Lee Martin 5:17 pm
(5:17:57 PM): lol
(5:18:04 PM): i would kind of like that
(5:18:20 PM): as long as you camp your *** off in the air and only land on the ledge
phi1ny3 5:18 pm
(5:18:21 PM): Like I know those never make it far when they stay because it gets ***** by MK
Lee Martin 5:18 pm
(5:18:35 PM): yeah
phi1ny3 5:19 pm
(5:19:13 PM): Oh, like when you say land on the ledge, you mean on the unoccupied one, or landing near your partner to help you?
Lee Martin 5:19 pm
(5:19:34 PM): near your partner
(5:19:42 PM): you always want to be near your partner with anubis
(5:19:44 PM): bc
(5:19:46 PM): I noticed that
(5:19:57 PM): you wont get ***** in 2v1a as badly
(5:20:04 PM): but see the good thing about pit is
phi1ny3 5:20 pm
(5:20:15 PM): so you can abuse his near invincible state and he can help you recover so you aren't exactly fighting "2v1"?
Lee Martin 5:20 pm
(5:20:22 PM): usually with mk on my team i have to basically completely 2v1
(5:20:30 PM): but he can spam arrows
(5:20:33 PM): so
(5:20:37 PM): Oh yeah, that's the reason why I wanted to see how well it worked
(5:20:42 PM): every arrow he lands
(5:20:45 PM): is free hit for me
(5:20:47 PM): plus
(5:20:50 PM): I wanted to see how well arrows apply to the team
(5:20:58 PM): Oh cool idea
Lee Martin 5:21 pm
(5:21:03 PM): he's constantly interrupting people trying to 2v1 me
Lee Martin 5:21 pm
(5:21:12 PM): bc arrows are too good
(5:21:14 PM): lol
(5:21:15 PM): plus
(5:21:23 PM): pits up b windbox when he's planking
(5:21:30 PM): moves projectiles away from him lol
phi1ny3 5:22 pm
(5:22:05 PM): good info
(5:22:27 PM): and his uair seems pretty **** too
Lee Martin 5:22 pm
(5:22:33 PM): yeahhhh
(5:22:34 PM): lol
phi1ny3 5:23 pm
(5:23:23 PM): Hope you don't mind me copy pasting some of this in the doubles discussion, do you? The whole "arrow = hit" really was an idea I didn't come across, so I'm sure that'd be pretty cool to use
Lee Martin 5:23 pm
(5:23:55 PM): oh i dont mind
phi1ny3 5:24 pm
(5:24:22 PM): cool thanx

MythTrainerInfinity

Smash Champion
NNID
MTInfinity
3DS FC
2363-5671-9607
What if the opponent's team decides to 2v1 the Pit?

Pit is a good planker, but if the opponent's team has a MK that decides to just go after the Pit there could be big problems...

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
What if the opponent's team decides to 2v1 the Pit?

Pit is a good planker, but if the opponent's team has a MK that decides to just go after the Pit there could be big problems...
(5:16:49 PM): i think its better than lucario/mk
(5:16:57 PM): as long as their is not a mk on the other team
(5:17:18 PM): bc a mk could wreck a planking pit

Already mentioned. Besides, if they're going for the pit, you should probably be helping your partner with fending a couple off, especially with your newfound boost from the anubis strat.

He mentioned two things people don't often think about with the strat, which is why I quoted it:
"Lee Martin 5:20 pm
(5:20:42 PM): every arrow he lands
(5:20:45 PM): is free hit for me"

If you know how to abuse this, this is pretty cool imo. Getting the big hits is all about this strat's power.

Also:
"phi1ny3 5:19 pm
(5:19:13 PM): Oh, like when you say land on the ledge, you mean on the unoccupied one, or landing near your partner to help you?
(5:19:34 PM): near your partner
(5:19:42 PM): you always want to be near your partner with anubis
(5:19:44 PM): bc
(5:19:46 PM): I noticed that
(5:19:57 PM): you wont get ***** in 2v1a as badly
(5:20:04 PM): but see the good thing about pit is
(5:20:15 PM): so you can abuse his near invincible state and he can help you recover so you aren't exactly fighting "2v1"?
(5:20:22 PM): usually with mk on my team i have to basically completely 2v1
(5:20:30 PM): but he can spam arrows
(5:20:33 PM): so
(5:20:37 PM): Oh yeah, that's the reason why I wanted to see how well it worked"

I noticed how often Lee stays near his partner in anubis, it really helps to be near a partner so nothing dumb happens to you, plus you're recovering more on the side of your partner, who can help save you if you don't make it.

OK. Well. That was quick, haha.

Alright, I'll start OP renovation today around 4:30ish like I said.

MythTrainerInfinity

Smash Champion
NNID
MTInfinity
3DS FC
2363-5671-9607
OK. Well. That was quick, haha.

Alright, I'll start OP renovation today around 4:30ish like I said.
Today is May 21 :p

Anyways, what do people think about Lucario teaming with ROB?

ROB could ideally help save Lucario from a gimp far away. Both do pretty good on FD and ROB can somewhat plank or scrooge and annoy with lasers.

Steam

Smash Hero
Today is May 21 :p

Anyways, what do people think about Lucario teaming with ROB?

ROB could ideally help save Lucario from a gimp far away. Both do pretty good on FD and ROB can somewhat plank or scrooge and annoy with lasers.
I teamed with a ROB at my last tourney, we won :D

Rob is an excellent teamate for Lucario, in addition to what Myth said Rob tanks really well, always be sure to give Luc the best port priority though. RoB also is very good at keeping people out and is tough to approach. This team runs into problems against MKs and d3's though. if there's a MK Luc will be doing a lot of babysitting since MK just wrecks ROB. D3 isnt as problematic though.

this team also ***** on Japes

Top Bottom