• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Lucario Training Regiment - How to progressively practice Lucario?

ZestE

Smash Cadet
I'm new to Lucario and I've started doing lots of research, watching tons of vids of Mostunabe, Day, and Kamicario, and looking into the character. He's fascinating, and I think he could be a character I settle down on since my favorite things to do are 1.) make insane comebacks, 2.) be flashy with just enough useful tech since I just enjoy using techs idk, and 3.) be able to switch between offensive and defensive playstyles. So far it seems like Lucario is perfect with it, but alas I have little to no experience with him.

So my question is - what is the best way to start practicing Lucario on a day-to-day basis, and over the long run? Should I begin with just playing him in friendlies for some time to get a feel for his movement (but risk getting bopped and being discouraged), or should I start by learning one thing at a time, such as specific combos, his Aura Sphere cancels, etc.?

TL;DR - If you had to make a step by step training plan for someone wanting to pick up Lucario and practice him, what would you recommend?

young grasshopper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4227-3446-5848
first thing you need to practice: B-reverses and aura cancels. These techs are central to Lucario, almost to the extent of L-cancels and wave dashes in melee. Learn to do these so fluidly that you can perform them without needing to think about the inputs. From there, I recommend just getting a feel for the character. Lucario revolves around patience and waiting for an opportunity, which is made a bit easier by how threatening he can be. With aura, he is just plain scary, learn to use that to your advantage and psych out your foes. Honestly, aside from B-reverses, aura cancels, and a small handful combos & setups, learning Lucario is purely about mindgames

Empire~

s a d b o y s
Yes you absolutely should use Lucario in friendlies if you want to pick him up. Only practicing a character against CPUs in training mode or w/e is in no way a substitute for real people or games. There's a good chance you'll get discouraged, but that goes for any character when you lose.

Jmon101

Smash Cadet
first thing you need to practice: B-reverses and aura cancels. These techs are central to Lucario, almost to the extent of L-cancels and wave dashes in melee. Learn to do these so fluidly that you can perform them without needing to think about the inputs. From there, I recommend just getting a feel for the character. Lucario revolves around patience and waiting for an opportunity, which is made a bit easier by how threatening he can be. With aura, he is just plain scary, learn to use that to your advantage and psych out your foes. Honestly, aside from B-reverses, aura cancels, and a small handful combos & setups, learning Lucario is purely about mindgames
Yup. Learning your B-reverses are key to lucario. Also get comfortable with up smash out of ASC. Easily the most useful tech for this character. Thanks to that stupid patch, you gotta be QUICK with an upsmash out of shield.

Top Bottom