• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Lucario Social: Aura Dog Days of Summer

Croi

Smash Lord
I haven't played much at all since my big-ass local tournament three weeks ago. I'm trying to focus a bit on my writing, and, honestly, I'm feeling a little disenfranchised from Smash.

The people I practice with are generally on my level. My closest local competition is @Raziek and @Drake12. I don't play on any ladders, but I play lots of wifi.

When I practice I try to focus on one thing at a time. Right now I'm trying to work on my tilts and CQC, and I'm considering using ExtremeSpeed as an approach option/kill move. It's actually pretty safe if you smooth land.

I use a Gamecube controller and my only setup is tap jump off. I also prefer X to jump.

Last edited:

Loota

Smash Journeyman
I don't really practice that much serious friendlies outside tournaments or random meetups, but I pop into wi-fi at least once a week to play against opponents that have good connections to check that I haven't forgotten everything. Random training mode sessions where I just run around smoothly, throwing out moves and executing all kinds of tricks, is also something I find myself doing regularly. It really boosts your confidence in trying the same things in important matches which matters the most in the end. I did play a lot more back when the 3DS and WiiU versions were released to get to the level that I have a good feeling of everything I can do with Lucario's kit, so now it's mainly getting more consistent with it, being aware of all available options and advancing my mindset.

My closest training partners are the same people I often play in tournaments. I'm considered being 2nd at the Finnish PR atm so I'm generally a bit better than those people but they're on a level that the differences aren't really that noticeable. With a such small pool of training partners though, there's some risk of getting used to some specific playstyles and such so I'd suggest everyone to find as many partners as possible to train with. After all, adapting to different playstyles is one of the most important aspects to success.

I use a GC-controller too with tap jump off and c-stick set to attack. I prefer the tilt stick over smash stick because I feel Lucario's tilts require much more precision than his smashes, especially when considering how easily tilts can go wrong input wise, as well as being used much more. It's also nigh impossible to do tilts out of perfect pivot without tilt stick. There's also the added luxury of not accidentally getting momentum locked in the air which really bugged me with smash stick.

TheBlueSpirit

Smash Journeyman
NNID
thebiuespirit
3DS FC
5086-3271-7834
I stopped playing Lucario for a while because for some reason I couldn't pull off b-reversed aura sphere. Luckily I can do that now.

One question about aura sphere canceled into Usmash. So you cancel the charge with shield obviously, but does it matter if you jump cancel Usmash out of shield or not?

KakuCP9

What does it mean to be strong?
If don't do the jump cancel, you'll have to drop the shield and then do the up smash and at that point it wouldn't combo so jump cancel is very important.

MythTrainerInfinity

Smash Champion
NNID
MTInfinity
3DS FC
2363-5671-9607
Thanks for answering.

@Eeveecario or anyone else who is good with calcs could you do me a big favor?

I'm curious what the hitstun is for Lucario's FTilt hit 1, FAir, Force Palm Grab, and BAir.

Even if FTilt hit 1 produces no guaranteed combos we will put an opponent in a bad spot if they do not react with DI and a jump.

If we land BAir for the 1 frame landing lag thing... We may have some interesting combos at low percents.

FAir has a decent amount of hitstun, where you can land a fully charged Aura Sphere as a true combo of you are positioned right at around mid percents. I wonder what else we may be able to get out of it.

Force Palm Grab we might be able to do something with or trap an air dodge or landing with an Aura Sphere or something else perhaps.

I just feel that we have some epic combo or setup that we have not discovered yet.

Space thing

Smash Apprentice
Thanks for answering.

@Eeveecario or anyone else who is good with calcs could you do me a big favor?

I'm curious what the hitstun is for Lucario's FTilt hit 1, FAir, Force Palm Grab, and BAir.

Even if FTilt hit 1 produces no guaranteed combos we will put an opponent in a bad spot if they do not react with DI and a jump.

If we land BAir for the 1 frame landing lag thing... We may have some interesting combos at low percents.

FAir has a decent amount of hitstun, where you can land a fully charged Aura Sphere as a true combo of you are positioned right at around mid percents. I wonder what else we may be able to get out of it.

Force Palm Grab we might be able to do something with or trap an air dodge or landing with an Aura Sphere or something else perhaps.

I just feel that we have some epic combo or setup that we have not discovered yet.
According to the hitstun calculator above, assuming Lucario is at base (70%) and the opponent is Mario at low %: Fair, is around 35~ frames; FPG is around 43~; Bair around 44~, and first Hit of Ftilt has weight based knockback so IDK lol. Actually testing it, we're at a clear frame disadvantage lol. Like, around 5~ frames when the opponent decides to land, and some characters can just act out of the air before that lol. First hit of Ftilt is just plain bad if the opponent knows how to react to it.

On Fair: A raising fall hop Fair it can almost definitely combo into FCAS at certain percent combinations (few if any kill percents), in case anyone was wondering (it also means that the above hitstun numbers are probably about right). Only works on tall characters and you need to stay point blank in their face for it to work. Doing it from a throw combo Fair chain at low percents probably works on anyone though.

Against shorter characters or at percents where the fair sends them too high (potentially at kill percents), you can try to short hop the Fair and then double jump into FCAS and that might combo, or at least almost combo. You can also space yourself slightly back and it will hit them if they air dodge. Neat, though probably not super useful.

Anyway, looking for strong 50/50's set ups and traps that work at high aura seems like it would be far more likely to produce results than looking for a few situational combos IMO. We already have quite a few low percent combos and strings that work pretty well.

MythTrainerInfinity

Smash Champion
NNID
MTInfinity
3DS FC
2363-5671-9607
Mario is always a good character to sample things on.

I'm kinda terribad at using the calculator and I am on my phone. If it were only online...

Anywho, if we had calculations run for 0%, 50%, 100%, and 150% I think we'd be set.

Thank you guys for your input already.

Nubias

Smash Rookie
NNID
Nubias448
Hi, I'm Nubias, playing Lucario since Brawl, though it's only with Smash 4 that the competition really grew on me. I'd like to be a top Lucario player in my country. I watched a lot of videos from you guys and learned a lot of stuff thanks to that, so I decided to subscribe here to learn even more and play with you if possible (I like Lucario dittos). I went to my first tourney experience a few weeks ago and got ranked 6th. I like drawing Lucario from time to time and I hate long descriptions because it's embarassing.
Sorry if my english is weird sometimes, not my native language but I'll do my best to be understandable and sober.

TheBlueSpirit

Smash Journeyman
NNID
thebiuespirit
3DS FC
5086-3271-7834
Hi, I'm Nubias, playing Lucario since Brawl, though it's only with Smash 4 that the competition really grew on me. I'd like to be a top Lucario player in my country. I watched a lot of videos from you guys and learned a lot of stuff thanks to that, so I decided to subscribe here to learn even more and play with you if possible (I like Lucario dittos). I went to my first tourney experience a few weeks ago and got ranked 6th. I like drawing Lucario from time to time and I hate long descriptions because it's embarassing.
Sorry if my english is weird sometimes, not my native language but I'll do my best to be understandable and sober.
Welcome man! Your English isn't too bad as well, for it not being your native language.

MythTrainerInfinity

Smash Champion
NNID
MTInfinity
3DS FC
2363-5671-9607
New combo get!

FAir to FP flame true combos Bowser at 100%.

Landing NAir to fully charged Aura Sphere can string (but not combo) if you knock them offstage and may even kill if they are over 100%. Hmmm.

Nubias

Smash Rookie
NNID
Nubias448
Thanks~
I missed a good part of Evo, was there any Lucario players in this event ?

TheBlueSpirit

Smash Journeyman
NNID
thebiuespirit
3DS FC
5086-3271-7834
Thanks~
I missed a good part of Evo, was there any Lucario players in this event ?
Apologyman played, he didn't place too high I don't believe, I didn't see any others from what I remember. He's from the marvel scene tho so no surprise

Nubias

Smash Rookie
NNID
Nubias448
Ah, too bad.
I wish we had those kind of events over here, the only "famous" thing we have currently is held by Nintendo and has the same rules as the Smash Bros Invitational, and the 1v1 tourneys are called "side events" so it kinda sucks.
And it goes from July to November, they sure like to take their time.

Stupid question, how do I quote someone ?

smbmaster99MFGG

Smash Apprentice
NNID
smbmaster99
type [*quote] person you're quoting's text here[/*quote] but remove the *

or you can click on the button I've circled in this screenshot:

Last edited:

_Nives_

Smash Cadet
Hey shootout to P2P i love watching your lucario it's inspire me to move forward with it. And play it more in tourney keep it up.
Welcome nubias one more french lucario yeah !

Nubias

Smash Rookie
NNID
Nubias448
Hey shootout to P2P i love watching your lucario it's inspire me to move forward with it. And play it more in tourney keep it up.
Welcome nubias one more french lucario yeah !
Thanks, and we should really play haha, add me if you feel like kicking each others butts.

Last edited:

Nubias

Smash Rookie
NNID
Nubias448
Damn, I'm really happy too, same offer goes for you if you wish to play some dittos~

smbmaster99MFGG

Smash Apprentice
NNID
smbmaster99
That's coolio and looks like there were quite a few entrants ^^ Speaking of tourneys, I'll be partaking in my first tourney here in a couple weeks. It's a wifi tourney and it's looking to be a bit small (currently has less than 30 entrants) but I'm still nervcited x3

TheBlueSpirit

Smash Journeyman
NNID
thebiuespirit
3DS FC
5086-3271-7834
That's coolio and looks like there were quite a few entrants ^^ Speaking of tourneys, I'll be partaking in my first tourney here in a couple weeks. It's a wifi tourney and it's looking to be a bit small (currently has less than 30 entrants) but I'm still nervcited x3
Lucky. I need to get to some tournament around here. Illinois is kinda lacking though in my opinion for tournaments. I'm sure I'd do somewhat decent, but I can't even go to any

Sunnysunny

Blue-nubis
Premium
Oh what~?
Hush you're english is better then mine by a long shot <3

Welcome to the boards cute artist dude Nubias~! = w=

Hey top Lucario's, just wondering how much you guys practice on average, what is the skill level of the people you practice with, what do you practice (like timing, BReverses, etc.), and what is your controller setup?

This info will help me and other Lucarios improve their game.
In brawl days i'd do nothing but practice online to learn how to deal with all types of people. I see SO many good players in tourney that have VERY strong styles, that lose to the most random players merely because they can't understand there opponents mentality are havn't dealt with a certain style before.

Now a days I do nothing but training mode, usually a few days before a tournament just to get a feel for lucarios weight and movement~ I practice for like, an hour I guess when I do practice. Just hopping around n such, spacing n-airs, practicing strings, and combos just so I won't end up choking in tourney. Pfft~

My controller of choice is oddly enough the game pad, with the grab and shield buttons switched too match the 3DS's controls.

OH!
Unrelated, but heyo, if I win next major I go to, I have a pretty good shot at being #1 on the next PR. Ahh, I know it's just superstition, but wish me luck dudes! We will conquer all states and countries, one place at a time. :333

Last edited:

Kami~

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kamicario
Oh what~?
Hush you're english is better then mine by a long shot <3

Welcome to the boards cute artist dude. = w=

In brawl days i'd do nothing but practice online to learn how to deal with all types of people. I see SO many good players in tourney that have VERY strong styles, that lose to the most random players merely because they can't understand there opponents mentality are havn't dealt with a certain style before.

Now a days I do nothing but training mode, usually a few days before a tournament just to get a feel for lucarios weight and movement~ I practice for like, an hour I guess when I do practice. Just hopping around n such, spacing n-airs, practicing strings, and combos just so I won't end up choking in tourney. Pfft~

My controller of choice is oddly enough the game pad, with the grab and shield buttons switched too match the 3DS's controls.

OH!
Unrelated, but heyo, if I win next major I go to, I have a pretty good shot at being #1 on the next PR. Ahh, I know it's just superstition, but wish me luck dudes! We will conquer all states and countries, one place at a time. :333
why are you using gamepad when it's banned at most tournaments

Sunnysunny

Blue-nubis
Premium
I didn't know it was banned for the longest time, and apparently the tourney organizers here were just being absurdly cool about it and letting me. = w=; I'm kinda spoiled. When I go out of state I mention it to the organizers and they usually allow it as an acception merely because no one else uses em. Although it's worrisome to think about if I were to ever go to a big tourney and they're just flat out like "nah." But I think I should be fine. It's the risk I take.

It's odd, but I feel like part of why I was bad in brawl was partly because the controller never clicked with me, yet lugging around a mini-television as a controller somehow does. Ha!

Last edited:

Kami~

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kamicario
I didn't know it was banned for the longest time, and apparently the tourney organizers here were just being absurdly cool about it and letting me. = w=; I'm kinda spoiled. When I go out of state I mention it to the organizers and they usually allow it as an acception merely because no one else uses em. Although it's worrisome to think about if I were to ever go to a big tourney and they're just flat out like "nah." But I think I should be fine. It's the risk I take.

It's odd, but I feel like part of why I was bad in brawl was partly because the controller never clicked with me, yet lugging around a mini-television as a controller somehow does. Ha!
no its not fine at all. a ton of tournaments ban then because of the scenario that if 2 people use them one person has to use another controller. You'll never be allowed to use that at most big tournaments.. even my locals ban it. you should really switch before it comes to get you

Croi

Smash Lord
My region also has the game pad legal, but we don't have a contingency plan for exactly what Kami said. You should, at the least, invest in a Wii U Pro controller.

Sunnysunny

Blue-nubis
Premium
no its not fine at all. a ton of tournaments ban then because of the scenario that if 2 people use them one person has to use another controller. You'll never be allowed to use that at most big tournaments.. even my locals ban it. you should really switch before it comes to get you
Ahh ya think? :/
It's always been a fear in the back of my mind, but it's difficult to make the switch.

Yeah i'll invest in a pro I guess as a back up. I hear the triggers are pretty responsive.
I'm still holding out to be able to commission someone with the talent to make a replica for the gamecube adapter one day though. guuuh. If anyone hears about someone ridiculous enough to do that, please give me a heads up.

Last edited:

TheBlueSpirit

Smash Journeyman
NNID
thebiuespirit
3DS FC
5086-3271-7834
Do they ban 3ds? If not I think that'd be a better backup for gamepad in a way. It depends on if you prefer pro controller or nah tho

Top Bottom