• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Lucario Social: Aura Dog Days of Summer

BugCatcherWill

Smash Ace
NNID
BugCatcherWill
3DS FC
4098-4993-0977

DireWolf

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1822-1646-5262
I wrote an article on why Lucario does not "reward bad play" and that everybody who loses to him is a big ole' whiny baby:

http://smashatlantic.com/2015/04/10/article-does-lucario-reward-bad-play/
Nice and succinct article, but kind of preaching to the choir by posting here. If you haven't already you should spread this around more widely!
Props to your region for maintaining a comprehensive website, BTW.

On another note, are there any benefits to pivoting an FP? I feel like I could be utilizing it better as an initiation tool.

Last edited:

Pentao

Smash Apprentice
Are there any noteworthy tournament-level Lucario players from Japan?

It's been a long time since I've seen a Lucario video that didn't feature Croi, Junebug, or Loota (though watching these three is usually great. Junebug please stop SDing and picking Diddy).

Arc Quilava

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Snowboos
3DS FC
0748-3092-2840
Switch FC
7015-6523-1723
Guys, I need help. For some reason I've been using Tap Jump for all of Smash 4, but it keeps messing up my up-tilts and up-aerials. I think I need to break myself of the habit, but for some reason that X button on the pro/gamepad just feels so unnatural compared to the Gamecube. (Haven't been able to find any adaptors...) Every time I turn off tap jump I feel so clunky and slow in the air because the rest of my aerials work better with it on since I don't have to reach across the button face to get to B. Any suggestions about how to quit tap jumping or if you think I should keep it on, how can I avoid the above problems?

Karnu

yaylatios.gif
NNID
Karnuu
3DS FC
3952-7040-9841
I did ok, I guess.
I got out of pools (Ended up being 7 on the day for my pool).

I placed last in pro bracket but went game 3 both sets and both close and tight games. I need to work on not being afraid to do more follow ups.

Can't complain for my first smash 4 tournament.

Croi

Smash Lord
Guys, I need help. For some reason I've been using Tap Jump for all of Smash 4, but it keeps messing up my up-tilts and up-aerials. I think I need to break myself of the habit, but for some reason that X button on the pro/gamepad just feels so unnatural compared to the Gamecube. (Haven't been able to find any adaptors...) Every time I turn off tap jump I feel so clunky and slow in the air because the rest of my aerials work better with it on since I don't have to reach across the button face to get to B. Any suggestions about how to quit tap jumping or if you think I should keep it on, how can I avoid the above problems?
1) Maybe B/X for jump, A for standards and Y for specials? Or maybe try something totally different and set ZL to jump? A change of pace might do well for your habits.
2) I can swear by the Mayflash adapter if you're really dead-set on keeping the Gamecube controller. No faults at all with mine.

It's been a long time since I've seen a Lucario video that didn't feature Croi, Junebug, or Loota (though watching these three is usually great. Junebug please stop SDing and picking Diddy).
Oh, stop it.

I have a local bimonthly later today, starting at 4 PM EST if anyone wants to tune in. It'll be streamed here and it'll be uploaded to Youtube sometime in the next few days.

Neiroa

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Neiroa

There is a very good Japanese Lucario player "Gomamugitya". There are a few videos of him on Youtube.
I think it's one of the best / most technical Lucario player

Last edited:

BugCatcherWill

Smash Ace
NNID
BugCatcherWill
3DS FC
4098-4993-0977
I have ZR set to jump and X set to grab. It works really well for me because I don't have to move my thumb between jumping and attacking

Pentao

Smash Apprentice
There is a very good Japanese Lucario player "Gomamugitya". There are a few videos of him on Youtube.
I think it's one of the best / most technical Lucario player
I agree that he's pretty good, but I haven't seen any videos of him playing since the 3DS version around 4-5 months ago.

DireWolf

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1822-1646-5262
I have videos but you'll have to dig them up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGJvGzBi0M8
Hooray, now I don't have to check COsmash's broadcast history every time the coloradocarios talk about a tourney!
(Fun times start around 59 minutes. Bo5 versus fishbait falcon followed by dittos w/sunny)

Can you cross post this to the video thread for future reference?

Last edited:

Pentao

Smash Apprentice
I have videos but you'll have to dig them up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGJvGzBi0M8
Haha, I had just assumed all your videos were in some secret Twitch archive at this point, they're rarely ever in the video thread.

That said, I think I may have fought Arcana on For Glory a long time ago. His Zero Suit destroyed me at the time though... Seeing you play him makes me feel like Lucario has the match up in his favor, and that Lucario looks to be an aggressive character.

Will dig through the video more later.

Zoa

Smash Ace
Meh. I think I'll roll with Smash U. Might attend some of the Smash U weeklies that are part of the weeklies I go to religiously for PM. I'll be rejoining this fantastic community then.

The Goldenbrawler

Smash Ace
NNID
Frost3
3DS FC
3840-6562-5991
It's been a while since I've posted here. I'm curious, what would Lucario add exactly to the mains I already have? (Lucina, Meta Knight, and Mewtwo)

Neiroa

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Neiroa
How in the **** do I fight Olimar with Lucario?
Aura Sphere never hit and standing on the ground was never an option because pivot grab.
Get it by Olimar Side B, approach him with pikmins on you, and Double Team. ^^
Otherwise I think grabing him or trying to punish his recovery can be options against him.

Sunnysunny

Blue-nubis
Premium
Haha, I had just assumed all your videos were in some secret Twitch archive at this point, they're rarely ever in the video thread.

That said, I think I may have fought Arcana on For Glory a long time ago. His Zero Suit destroyed me at the time though... Seeing you play him makes me feel like Lucario has the match up in his favor, and that Lucario looks to be an aggressive character.

Will dig through the video more later.

Aggressive lucario?
Ahaha! That must be me then.

I'm proud of my rush down. <333

Mm and Arcana's no slouch. Dudes got very strong fundementals~

Sunny counterpicking to Woolly Werld, woo
CO has 3 stocks, already off to a good start.
Yehhhh Woolly werld and onette fur lyfe~

BugCatcherWill

Smash Ace
NNID
BugCatcherWill
3DS FC
4098-4993-0977
So I had a funny moment the other day. There's this good ZSS player who TO'd a few tournaments around Columbus and participates in most of them. He absolutely hates fighting Lucarios because every time he's faced them in tourney he's always lost. So we were all playing friendlies and I ask to fight him. I pick Lucario and he just gives me that look. I say something like "You're gonna have to learn this matchup someday".

So we go Random and end up on Lylat (ugh), and I accidentally suicide at 40%. Second stock he kills me off the top from an Up-B. He's only at, like 70% and I'm on my last stock. I manage to bring it to last stock with him at 50% and I'm at 130%. I get a AS while he does the flip-kick and kill him, winning the match.

He just looks at me, laughing my ass off, and says "And THIS is why I go Lucario ditto's!"

Sunnysunny

Blue-nubis
Premium
The more I watch my match with steam the more it makes me sad that I kept trying to fall on him with aurasphere just so he didn't throw force palm me or throw his sphere. I was so afraid I couldn't contend with him in kill percent clutch.

Weh.

Last edited:

Loota

Smash Journeyman
asdfsdfs I FINALLY broke my curse of placing 2nd every single time in tournaments by taking the whole thing home <3 I doubt it would've felt so good if I didn't beat a Diddy in WF and GF who happened to beat me the last two times we faced. It's like I felled my personal final boss of this game.

On the other hand though, I placed 2nd in doubles with Trifroze, losing only to a Villager + Snaring Lucario (curses you @Forre ...!) 0-2 in winners and 2-3 in GF. I've kinda feared the day that someone took that strat to the levels we witnessed and boy it was ugly. No matter how well we did, it only takes one extremely easy setup to undo any lead we might have had and it's near impossible to counterplay. It's ridiculousness deserved it's own video which Trifroze nailed quite well if you haven't seen it yet.

Tourney videos coming up in the following days on his channel as well.

EDIT: I felt like bowing down after seeing Azen post here. Hype hearing him thinking of picking Lucario up again.

Last edited:

BugCatcherWill

Smash Ace
NNID
BugCatcherWill
3DS FC
4098-4993-0977
asdfsdfs I FINALLY broke my curse of placing 2nd every single time in tournaments by taking the whole thing home <3 I doubt it would've felt so good if I didn't beat a Diddy in WF and GF who happened to beat me the last two times we faced. It's like I felled my personal final boss of this game.

On the other hand though, I placed 2nd in doubles with Trifroze, losing only to a Villager + Snaring Lucario (curses you @Forre ...!) 0-2 in winners and 2-3 in GF. I've kinda feared the day that someone took that strat to the levels we witnessed and boy it was ugly. No matter how well we did, it only takes one extremely easy setup to undo any lead we might have had and it's near impossible to counterplay. It's ridiculousness deserved it's own video which Trifroze nailed quite well if you haven't seen it yet.

Tourney videos coming up in the following days on his channel as well.

EDIT: I felt like bowing down after seeing Azen post here. Hype hearing him thinking of picking Lucario up again.
Holy crap!!! That's almost as stupid as the Fox/Pikimin doubles strategy...

SmashRacer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SmashRacer
I'm currently have a chart in progress in Excel to show the Launch Speeds at 100%, 150% and 200%. It will be finished tomorrow before the patch is coming. This will be tested in Versus Mode at 0% and 190% and is tested on Wii Fit Trainer, since she/he has average weight. Just started today and I have finshed when he is at 0%.

Anoybody, tell me if kill percents should be tested instead in Training Mode

Here's preview: https://www.dropbox.com/s/bf5flex4utiz2ul/Lucario Aura Launch Speeds All Moves Versus Mode.xlsx?dl=0

Last edited:

Eeveecario

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Eeveecario
I'm currently have a chart in progress in Excel to show the Launch Speeds at 100%, 150% and 200%. It will be finished tomorrow before the patch is coming. This will be tested in Versus Mode at 0% and 190% and is tested on Wii Fit Trainer, since she/he has average weight. Just started today and I have finshed when he is at 0%.

Anoybody, tell me if kill percents should be tested instead in Training Mode

Here's preview: https://www.dropbox.com/s/bf5flex4utiz2ul/Lucario Aura Launch Speeds All Moves Versus Mode.xlsx?dl=0
I already have the kill percents for the moves

Top Bottom