• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Lucario Social: Aura Dog Days of Summer

Croi

Smash Lord
Other than Lucario having generally bad customs, what are the Lucario's opinions on them?

imo, I think they change match ups too drastically... a Ganondorf with Dropkick suddenly loses the thing that makes him so hit-or-miss and he's now essentially the "perfect" heavyweight. A Robin with Fast Thoron becomes ten times harder to approach and Arcthunder, while weaker, becomes much faster and loses none of its setup potential. Characters with high-priority low-cooldown projectiles, like Lucario's Piercing AS, can now camp even harder than ever. There's no reason for Mario not to use Gust Cape. What's the point in learning and discussing MUs if they can be changed as drastically as these? How do you prepare for every possible combination of custom moves? Adaptability is the mark of a truly great Smash player, but I'm supposed to be adapting to my opponent, not my opponent's character.

All that said, I might also just be paranoid. I think customs deserve an honest chance, and what better way to determine their worth than at a tournament with stakes as high as EVOs?

Karnu

yaylatios.gif
NNID
Karnuu
3DS FC
3952-7040-9841
Yeah, watching smash 4 at EVO with customs off is a turn off.
My state uses 3 stocks too and keeps trying to make customs legal, so I refuse to go unless there is Melee.

I'm a 2 stock no customs supporter .

Last edited:

Pitbuller26

Smash Lord
Other than Lucario having generally bad customs, what are the Lucario's opinions on them?

imo, I think they change match ups too drastically... a Ganondorf with Dropkick suddenly loses the thing that makes him so hit-or-miss and he's now essentially the "perfect" heavyweight. A Robin with Fast Thoron becomes ten times harder to approach and Arcthunder, while weaker, becomes much faster and loses none of its setup potential. Characters with high-priority low-cooldown projectiles, like Lucario's Piercing AS, can now camp even harder than ever. There's no reason for Mario not to use Gust Cape. What's the point in learning and discussing MUs if they can be changed as drastically as these? How do you prepare for every possible combination of custom moves? Adaptability is the mark of a truly great Smash player, but I'm supposed to be adapting to my opponent, not my opponent's character.

All that said, I might also just be paranoid. I think customs deserve an honest chance, and what better way to determine their worth than at a tournament with stakes as high as EVOs?
What you said here pretty much mirrors what I have to say except giving them an honest chance. I mostly against custom's for purely selfish reasons. One being Lucario's customs being bad and useless so we don't really benefit from customs being legal. Pretty much the opposite, things get much worse for us with customs. And as a result, I don't really want to deal with customs in terms of matchups.

AlexoftheAura

yaylatias.gif
NNID
AlexoftheAura
I'm all for testing out customs to see if maybe they could be viable but EVO is not the place to do it. That's what the smaller events are for.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
I'm all for testing out customs to see if maybe they could be viable but EVO is not the place to do it. That's what the smaller events are for.
This. But hey, if something incredibly stupid wins the tourney, it'll be one step closer to banning them.

I will probably go to EVO to spectate and meet other people and probably gamble. Not sure about drinking though...

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
I never asked for this.

Snipnigth

Smash Journeyman
Hello i just started using cario, and i really like his aura mechanics and the character, but im having a hard time killing with him, all his kill moves come out so slow, and the counter is kinda hard to hit idk if its my imagination but i think it has somestartup lag before the counter is activated.....a tips on how to kill with cario? i just hate when my opponent is at 150% and i cant land anything to kill him.

Kami~

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kamicario
Isn't there like one less minute on the timer too?
yep, apparently. ****ing awful rules, cant believe they'd put a 5 minute timer. I'm ok with allowing customs but 5 minute timer is just not meant for this game

Pitbuller26

Smash Lord
Hello i just started using cario, and i really like his aura mechanics and the character, but im having a hard time killing with him, all his kill moves come out so slow, and the counter is kinda hard to hit idk if its my imagination but i think it has somestartup lag before the counter is activated.....a tips on how to kill with cario? i just hate when my opponent is at 150% and i cant land anything to kill him.
Welcome to Lucario. Where people complain about his Aura despite other characters having much better and easier ways to kill and zone. Due to Lucario's slow kill moves, you have to be aware of a person's habits because you can never use smashes as a punish on reaction kind of thing.

Scout when they jump, that means you can up air them before they can airdodge or snipe them with an Aura Sphere. If they're constantly holding shield and you're charging AS, just hold it and when their shield is low enough, fire away or when they shield drop too. OR you can just run up and force palm grab if you're close enough.

Unfortunately, Lucario's kill setups are all so varied that we can't say "this is guaranteed to kill at so and so %".

Enemis

Smash Cadet
NNID
ToaEnemis
3DS FC
4596-9466-3207
Welcome to Lucario. Where people complain about his Aura despite other characters having much better and easier ways to kill and zone.
Hey, I resemble that remark! Lol

I only complain cus he changed so much since Brawl XD but I must say, by looking at all the salty players coming here to bash on cario for being cheap and unfair, it's very reassuring that cario has more tricks up his shorts than I originally expected. Lol

I'd be more concerned if no one gave us a hard time for using him tbh.

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
I still am looking for a lucario amiibo. :( jellys

Why is having custom moves a bad thing? Honestly id use them if they weren't horribly difficult and boring to unlock.

Hey, I resemble that remark! Lol

I only complain cus he changed so much since Brawl XD but I must say, by looking at all the salty players coming here to bash on cario for being cheap and unfair, it's very reassuring that cario has more tricks up his shorts than I originally expected. Lol

I'd be more concerned if no one gave us a hard time for using him tbh.
You should of seen cario folks from brawl. AlexOfTheAura and Steam can probably recall those chain grabbing complaints and upb complaints of yester year. So silly some people consider him cheap, you need to be inelligent to play him successfully in the bait n punish style. Even more so in the momentum rush down style.

Last edited:

AlexoftheAura

yaylatias.gif
NNID
AlexoftheAura
You should of seen cario folks from brawl. AlexOfTheAura and Steam can probably recall those chain grabbing complaints and upb complaints of yester year. So silly some people consider him cheap, you need to be inelligent to play him successfully in the bait n punish style. Even more so in the momentum rush down style.
lmaoooooooooooo

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
Chain grabbing was a serious problem though...we laugh about it now but those bugs made some characters unplayable. And to me that was unacceptable!! The game NEVER should have shipped with the condition brawl was in.

Last edited:

Zee'mmoro

Smash Cadet
NNID
Zee'mmoro
3DS FC
4914-3176-0599
Chain grabbing was a serious problem though...we laugh about it now but those bugs made some characters unplayable. And to me that was unacceptable!! The game NEVER should have shipped with the condition brawl was in.
Like King Dedede's down grab! Throw down, sit on them, turn around, repeat. It was horrid!

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
Chaingrabbing was removed in order to make Final Destination slightly less polarizing, I think.

AlexoftheAura

yaylatias.gif
NNID
AlexoftheAura
I thought you were talking just luc's chaingrab which was like 8 grabs for 30-some percent at most.

The Goldenbrawler

Smash Ace
NNID
Frost3
3DS FC
3840-6562-5991
I'm tempted to main Lucario (or Greninja, one of the two), but I saw someone say all Lucario mains are furries. Thing is, I'm not a furry, nor do I wish to be one. Note: No, I'm not saying I hate furries or anything like that, as I am good friends with a few. That's just not my cup of tea. Will it stop me from possibly maining Lucario? Unlikely.

Last edited:

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
I'm tempted to main Lucario (or Greninja, one of the two), but I saw someone say all Lucario mains are furries. Thing is, I'm not a furry, nor do I wish to be one. Note: No, I'm not saying I hate furries or anything like that, as I am good friends with a few. That's just not my cup of tea. Will it stop me from maining Lucario? Unlikely.
gooba gobba one of us
gooba gobba one of us

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
A reference is no fun if I have to explain it. :p
It's a scene from a famous 1930s horror movie. A troupe of circus freaks were chanting that to the main antagonist, a greedy trapeze artist, when she tricked one of them into marrying her, accepting her as one of them (which horrified her).

Last edited:

The Goldenbrawler

Smash Ace
NNID
Frost3
3DS FC
3840-6562-5991
A reference is no fun if I have to explain it. :p
It's a scene from a famous 1930s horror movie. A troupe of circus freaks were chanting that to the main antagonist, a greedy trapeze artist, when she tricked one of them into marrying her, accepting her as one of them (which horrified her).
Ah, ok...I wouldn't know that then. I have a friend that might know about that, but that's about it. However, I have heard the "One of us" part before somewhere.

AlexoftheAura

yaylatias.gif
NNID
AlexoftheAura
I'm tempted to main Lucario (or Greninja, one of the two), but I saw someone say all Lucario mains are furries. Thing is, I'm not a furry, nor do I wish to be one. Note: No, I'm not saying I hate furries or anything like that, as I am good friends with a few. That's just not my cup of tea. Will it stop me from possibly maining Lucario? Unlikely.
You'll be fine.

The Goldenbrawler

Smash Ace
NNID
Frost3
3DS FC
3840-6562-5991
You'll be fine.
but only for a while
;_:
Both of these could be worded a little better.
1. You could be implying that I'll end up one, even if I oppose to the idea, and that I'm supposed to just be fine with that,
2. You could be stating that the whole furry thing was a joke, or an over-exaggeration,
OR
3. You could be implying that goomy will destroy us all. :troll:

Enemis

Smash Cadet
NNID
ToaEnemis
3DS FC
4596-9466-3207
Both of these could be worded a little better.
1. You could be implying that I'll end up one, even if I oppose to the idea, and that I'm supposed to just be fine with that,
2. You could be stating that the whole furry thing was a joke, or an over-exaggeration,
OR
3. You could be implying that goomy will destroy us all. :troll:
It happened to me man.. OTL I was utterly against the notion that maining him would turn me furry... and it only took a couple years before I was already a furry in denial.. but maybe you can be the exception to the rule ;A;

In all seriousness, it depends on how invested you become into the character. If you can see him as just another fighter you should be fine. letting him grow on your asthetically though.. that could prove problematic >w>

SimonBarSinister

Smash Lord
NNID
SimonBarSinister
3DS FC
2406-5996-7869
Well, whether you are or aren't, that's not for anyone to know or care about. The only thing others should care about regarding Lucario is whether or not they're gonna be wrecked by his almighty Bair.:troll:

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
I thought you were talking just luc's chaingrab which was like 8 grabs for 30-some percent at most.
No i meant IC chain grab, Ddd chain grabs etc. those bugs. Yeaaaah

Chaingrabbing was removed in order to make Final Destination slightly less polarizing, I think.
Not necessarily, 1v1 smash is pretty horrid as it stands due to really bad physics. Its difficult to control your character in smash versus a game like guilty gear. Trying to accurately hit the opponent consistantly is one of the hardest things to do in all smash games. And really, for the grabs, the only fix they put in for the chain grab mess is a 1 second cool down on grabs. Doesnt mean you cant do silly stuff to combo back into a grab to create a loop. But its still not the best mechanic they could of used imo.

Last edited:

The Goldenbrawler

Smash Ace
NNID
Frost3
3DS FC
3840-6562-5991
Well, whether you are or aren't, that's not for anyone to know or care about. The only thing others should care about regarding Lucario is whether or not they're gonna be wrecked by his almighty Bair.:troll:
Just make sure to say "bair" and not "backair" out loud, as some people MAY mistake what you're saying.
"Boy do I love Lucario's Backair!" could be misheard as "Boy do I love Lucario's back hair!" XD

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
Star fox was way past cool before furry became a thing. And i still love the star fox team. Lucy is no different. Hes my fav gen 4 poke. Heres to hoping hes really fun in Pokken too!

Last edited:

The Goldenbrawler

Smash Ace
NNID
Frost3
3DS FC
3840-6562-5991
Don't listen to this guy, once you main Lucario you're a furry, there is no going back.
All Lucario mains are furries? Stereotypes! Anyways, I assume you are trolling and will label you as such. If this was true, well, Greninja instantly wins.

Top Bottom