• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Lucario Social: Aura Dog Days of Summer

Enemis

Smash Cadet
NNID
ToaEnemis
3DS FC
4596-9466-3207
By the way, is it FF -> NAir, or NAir -> FF (Minding a SH peak)?
You know, since FF is cancelled now by inputting any aerial now, I thought it has more sense doing FF -> NAir and have "more" NAir active frames, doing the other way might even cancel the NAir by landing...

Which is better?
O.o FF is canceled by putting an aerial? But I fast fall all day with FF->Nair. and Im still falling fast. I just know when I try doing my SH->Fair->FF->Nair that sometimes I dont have enough time to start Nair before I hit the ground. I always do FF to nair though. When getting back to the stage, or as an approach. unless you're talking about something else. I dont have too much experiance with the terms on the forums since I mainly lurk around rather than post myself. so there might be something im not picking up.

Eeveecario

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Eeveecario
O.o FF is canceled by putting an aerial? But I fast fall all day with FF->Nair. and Im still falling fast. I just know when I try doing my SH->Fair->FF->Nair that sometimes I dont have enough time to start Nair before I hit the ground. I always do FF to nair though. When getting back to the stage, or as an approach. unless you're talking about something else. I dont have too much experiance with the terms on the forums since I mainly lurk around rather than post myself. so there might be something im not picking up.
It has been added in Smash 4, most notable at extreme heights.
For example: you have been extremely launched to the Upper Blast Zone, but it wasn't enough to KO you. If you attempt to Fast Fall, then perform a wavebounce to land safer, you'll notice your falling speed decreases as soon as you wavebounce.
This mean that you can cancel a FF with an aerial or a special, (air-dodge and ZAir won't cancel if I remember correctly).

Last edited:

Auramaniji

Roasted!
NNID
N/A
yeeaaahh.. but a more of a bizarre sect of the fandom.. I'd say cario gets you right to the good stuff >w>
*ahem*
Got ya. Let's move on <.<
Besides that, does anyone know how to connect a Uthrow -> Uair -> Uair properly? I swear my timing is gimped for the second one. (Also, what is the recommended percent range to pull off this combo?)

Eeveecario

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Eeveecario
Does anyone know how to connect a Uthrow -> Uair -> Uair properly? I swear my timing is gimped for the second one. (Also, what is the recommended percent range to pull off this combo?)
It's becomes available or not depending on your foe's damage and your damage.
If I remember correctly, your foe should be around 40% ~ 80% and you should be at 40%~60%. Also, it varies from the character your fighting.

Auramaniji

Roasted!
NNID
N/A
It's becomes available or not depending on your foe's damage and your damage.
If I remember correctly, your foe should be around 40% ~ 80% and you should be at 40%~60%. Also, it varies from the character your fighting.
Thanks! Also, does this range of damage apply to most combos like Dthrow -> Fair -> Fair?

Kami~

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kamicario
Got ya. Let's move on <.<
Besides that, does anyone know how to connect a Uthrow -> Uair -> Uair properly? I swear my timing is gimped for the second one. (Also, what is the recommended percent range to pull off this combo?)
lol mash jump after the first upair and when you see the jump start up start the 2nd upair. I dunno any other way to explain it. If they push anything besides airdodge it will land.

Thanks! Also, does this range of damage apply to most combos like Dthrow -> Fair -> Fair?
never use dthrow

Last edited:

Eeveecario

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Eeveecario
You'll mostly won't true combo a DThrow -> FAir Air because:
  • Your foe goes too far.
  • It's easy to DI.
  • And practically, when you recover from your DThrow, your foe will recover soon or has recovered already.
As Kami says:
Never use dthrow
... UNLESS you want to know where your opponent is DIing, then the next throw you perform, counter that DI. That may be the only use of :4lucario:'s DThrow

Last edited:

Auramaniji

Roasted!
NNID
N/A
  • Your foe goes too far.
  • It's easy to DI.
  • And practically, when you recover from your DThrow, your foe will recover soon or has recovered already.
As Kami says:
... UNLESS you want to know where your opponent is DIing, then the next throw you perform, counter that DI. That may be the only use of :4lucario:'s DThrow
Alright, thank you guys for helping me out!
Dthrow to Fairs was my go to combo until now.:facepalm:

Rysir

The shorts wearing blue anubis
NNID
Rhysir
3DS FC
3394-4486-9387
  • Your foe goes too far.
  • It's easy to DI.
As Kami says:
Down throw is the most fun throw! Regrabs for days if your attempts are not air dodged!

spiderfreak1011

Smash Ace
NNID
spiderfreak1011
3DS FC
3050-8430-0117
So, you guys tried to ditch me and make me think there was no more Lucario social, eh? Well too bad i'm here now. Shulk main invading once again. : P

Enemis

Smash Cadet
NNID
ToaEnemis
3DS FC
4596-9466-3207
I've actually discovered a neat trick with a few throws, but its highly situational. As in the planets have to be aligned XD, IE your damage percent has to be perfect and so does theirs. And it varies a little depending on the character. I haven't tested it thoroughly with everyone to see how well it works for each though. I do however have a replay of it on my WiiU. I'll record it with my phone and post it tomorrow when I have more time.
Despite it being situational, its proven to be very useful.

AlexoftheAura

yaylatias.gif
NNID
AlexoftheAura
I've actually discovered a neat trick with a few throws, but its highly situational. As in the planets have to be aligned XD, IE your damage percent has to be perfect and so does theirs. And it varies a little depending on the character. I haven't tested it thoroughly with everyone to see how well it works for each though. I do however have a replay of it on my WiiU. I'll record it with my phone and post it tomorrow when I have more time.
Despite it being situational, its proven to be very useful.
This sounds like the "major award" that turns out to be a leg lamp.

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
I am pretty happy with Lucys changes. Dair hit box has plenty of work arounds with the size reduction of its hitbox. Just have to land it meaty. His nair is same tool as usual. Upb finally has a hit box that scares people. Fair is weird..it works sorta like his brawl his boxes? Idk. I work with it. And i love using his side b to mess with people. The extended range off of your increased damage really can surprise people.

Alsonochaingrabshooray. The chain grab bullcrap really hurt lucario late in brawls life. Which is one of the reasons i feel more confident playing him and sheik.

Speaking of which i have no idea how to combo with him in sm4sh. His aura buffs really throw off my oki so ive been forced to play him in a more Bait n' punish style when i get on him. Any ideas for combo material?

Last edited:

Enemis

Smash Cadet
NNID
ToaEnemis
3DS FC
4596-9466-3207
( I would just put the youtube link, but I dont have enough posts to be allowed to do that apparently ^^")

As promised. the grab combo I was talking about. I explained it more when I posted it in the lucario video thread. I'll just copy over what I said:

"So I've been working on this interesting combo. Not entirely sure if its a true combo or not. It only works at certain percentages you have to be at least 90 (ish) percent with lucario, and at least 130 percent for the other character. if they'r 150 or higher it wont work either. its a very situational combo, but everytime I set it up correctly with the percents it hits, and typically kills too. Its very risky if you miss though for obvious reasons. But DANG is it a good feeling when you pull it off. As you can see the opponent didn't see it coming either XD. I'll keep experimenting with it. I know that you can do it with up throw too but the percentages have to be slightly different since up throw makes them go lower. feel free to try it for yourselves, just be sure to practice it a lot before trying it on a human XD"

Kami~

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kamicario
( I would just put the youtube link, but I dont have enough posts to be allowed to do that apparently ^^")

As promised. the grab combo I was talking about. I explained it more when I posted it in the lucario video thread. I'll just copy over what I said:

"So I've been working on this interesting combo. Not entirely sure if its a true combo or not. It only works at certain percentages you have to be at least 90 (ish) percent with lucario, and at least 130 percent for the other character. if they'r 150 or higher it wont work either. its a very situational combo, but everytime I set it up correctly with the percents it hits, and typically kills too. Its very risky if you miss though for obvious reasons. But DANG is it a good feeling when you pull it off. As you can see the opponent didn't see it coming either XD. I'll keep experimenting with it. I know that you can do it with up throw too but the percentages have to be slightly different since up throw makes them go lower. feel free to try it for yourselves, just be sure to practice it a lot before trying it on a human XD"
its funny to land but it's not a combo at all. They have more than enough time to airdodge but hardly anyone expects it the first time so it's an easy thing to land on for glory ppls. Still cute!

Steam

Smash Hero
I am pretty happy with Lucys changes. Dair hit box has plenty of work arounds with the size reduction of its hitbox. Just have to land it meaty. His nair is same tool as usual. Upb finally has a hit box that scares people. Fair is weird..it works sorta like his brawl his boxes? Idk. I work with it. And i love using his side b to mess with people. The extended range off of your increased damage really can surprise people.

Alsonochaingrabshooray. The chain grab bullcrap really hurt lucario late in brawls life. Which is one of the reasons i feel more confident playing him and sheik.

Speaking of which i have no idea how to combo with him in sm4sh. His aura buffs really throw off my oki so ive been forced to play him in a more Bait n' punish style when i get on him. Any ideas for combo material?
uthrow -> uair is combo jesus

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
Yeah i figured that out steam :p. But they air dodge it when they have more damage which makes me sad :(

Eeveecario

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Eeveecario
Then use the follow up.
If they're air-dodging the UThrow -> UpAir, then UThrow -> Wait for air-dodge and punish with a UpSmash, or jabs -> grab and repeat.
The only "safe" way to escape is to jump away, or a fast aerial attack

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
Whoa wait, jabs -> grab? Force palm or regular grab? I for the life of me have been trying to do the jab canceling business from brawl and his second or first jab always comes out. Which jab do i need to stop at to get my grab input to go through?

Enemis

Smash Cadet
NNID
ToaEnemis
3DS FC
4596-9466-3207
So Im going to be entering a local tournament this weekend, and I want to make sure my cario is fully prepared. One thing I know I need work on is Double team. Im still used to playing Lucario like I did in Brawl, where I'd never use the counter because it was terrible. But now here in smash 4, it's actually quite useful.... I just have no idea what the best times to use it are. You guys have any advice?

I saw this cario on For glory use it after an up throw to up tilt chain. he immediately used counter and it worked, I tried powering through with a dair. And if I recall a lot of people try to come back down on you if they have a move with strong enough priority like luigis nair.

Last edited:

Eeveecario

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Eeveecario
So Im going to be entering a local tournament this weekend, and I want to make sure my cario is fully prepared. One thing I know I need work on is Double team. Im still used to playing Lucario like I did in Brawl, where I'd never use the counter because it was terrible. But now here in smash 4, it's actually quite useful.... I just have no idea what the best times to use it are. You guys have any advice?

I saw this cario on For glory use it after an up throw to up tilt chain. he immediately used counter and it worked, I tried powering through with a dair. And if I recall a lot of people try to come back down on you if they have a move with strong enough priority like luigis nair.
That's actually a pseudo-combo.
If your foe tries to escape a string of UTilts with offensive, DT can block the attack and follow it up with aerial combos.

Of course, it's very situational, but works great.
Only use Double Team if you can read a move or if your foe is too hasty to attack, else you'll be widely open for an attack (even a Falcon Punch can punish you).

Same here, going to a local tournament (no money match this time). Good luck! and trust your skills!

Croi

Smash Lord
When using Double Team, even if it doesn't land, always hold a direction.

If you hold in the opposite direction Lucario is facing (he is facing right, you hold left) then he will shoot forward out of DT.
If you hold in the same direction Lucario is facing, then he will launch in the opposite direction.
In both cases, he will start from farther back and he will go farther forward. You generally want the former if you're being attacked from behind and the latter if you're being attacked from in front, because your hitbox will begin closer to them and if they somehow block or dodge it, you'll be catapulted away from them and therefore away from danger.

Kami~

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kamicario

Never use double team unless you have a confirm honestly. Like if you know something is going to hit you like a projectile. Villagers rocket which has a constant speed, pikachus tjolt ect. Just not worth it to throw out on a random guess.

Should never be used vs melee only characters unless its a move that has extreme startup like falcon punch/warlock punch

Rysir

NNID
Rhysir
3DS FC
3394-4486-9387
You can use double team to cause embarrassment as well! It makes all grab based moves pass though, ALL of them. If you see a Ganondorf trying to flame choke you and you are close to the edge he will pass through you and fall to his doom!

Flame choke, Peach Bomber, KO punch, Falcon Side B, Bowser slam all phase through you during double team and there is more I am sure.

Eeveecario

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Eeveecario
When using Double Team, even if it doesn't land, always hold a direction.

If you hold in the opposite direction Lucario is facing (he is facing right, you hold left) then he will shoot forward out of DT.
If you hold in the same direction Lucario is facing, then he will launch in the opposite direction.
In both cases, he will start from farther back and he will go farther forward. You generally want the former if you're being attacked from behind and the latter if you're being attacked from in front, because your hitbox will begin closer to them and if they somehow block or dodge it, you'll be catapulted away from them and therefore away from danger.
It increases range? I didn't knew that...
To add more info, you can approach faster, safer and offensively to projectile spammers (like link or samus) with DT and holding the analog stick in the opposite direction you want to go (or holding where you want to appear).

EDIT: Also, as opposite to Croi said, you can actually reverse the responses to have a stronger chance to follow up. Just keep in mind that your foe will have a bit more time to recover, and might be able to block it.

Last edited:

Croi

Smash Lord
http://youtu.be/lGnxg3wC-2I

I tried to gfycat this but it was giving me sass, so Youtube instead.

I know this isn't a true combo, seeing as Falcon had the time to get his shield up the first go, but it generally seems like a pretty hard combo to get out of. I kept doing it against this guy and he had no answer for it every time (but he's hardly an exceptional Falcon). If it works on Falcon it should also work on the spacies. It's also possible to mix it up with any tilt attack or Force Palm, or maybe even BRAS into jump-cancelled up smash if you're a Pro Smash Player.

Rysir

NNID
Rhysir
3DS FC
3394-4486-9387
Hmm, I noticed something from playing with customs earlier. Long distance force palm sends people flying at a far far lower angle than standard forcepalm and I got a kill at pretty low % while only at 76% myself. Was this known?

Sunnysunny

Blue-nubis
Premium

I know this isn't a true combo, seeing as Falcon had the time to get his shield up the first go, but it generally seems like a pretty hard combo to get out of. I kept doing it against this guy and he had no answer for it every time (but he's hardly an exceptional Falcon). If it works on Falcon it should also work on the spacies. It's also possible to mix it up with any tilt attack or Force Palm, or maybe even BRAS into jump-cancelled up smash if you're a Pro Smash Player.
Oh ****. I do this all the time.
I love this set up. I think it MAY be possible for the opponent to DI farther behind you though, and make the n-air more obnoxious to hit, but other then that, yeah it's really legit. I'm fairly certain it works on most the cast, but on some fast fallers and fatties you can get a lot of reps.

I have to try BRAS into u-smash though. Is that considered a true combo?
I know BRAS into shield jumped d-air is apparently counted as "true" in training mode at high percents, but I never thought of jump canceling a u-smash...

Last edited:

LimitCrown

Smash Ace
NNID
LimitCrown
3DS FC
0903-2850-8324
Hmm, I noticed something from playing with customs earlier. Long distance force palm sends people flying at a far far lower angle than standard forcepalm and I got a kill at pretty low % while only at 76% myself. Was this known?
Yes, the Long-Distance Force Palm's throw has a slightly higher base knockback value and launches opponents at a lower angle.

AlexoftheAura

yaylatias.gif
NNID
AlexoftheAura
Oh ****. I do this all the time.
I love this set up. I think it MAY be possible for the opponent to DI farther behind you though, and make the n-air more obnoxious to hit, but other then that, yeah it's really legit. I'm fairly certain it works on most the cast, but on some fast fallers and fatties you can get a lot of reps.

I have to try BRAS into u-smash though. Is that considered a true combo?
I know BRAS into shield jumped d-air is apparently counted as "true" in training mode at high percents, but I never thought of jump canceling a u-smash...
It's not a true combo but if they're off the ground while in the charge then it might as well be.

And the training mode combo counter is weird, I wouldn't really trust it.

Enemis

Smash Cadet
NNID
ToaEnemis
3DS FC
4596-9466-3207
Thanks for all the advice on the Double team stuff, I'll try putting those things into practice so I can be tournament ready XD

And oh baby does that combo look beautiful. =w= I will start putting this puppy into use asap.

SmashRacer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SmashRacer

I've been messing around with that combo some time ago in training mode. Seems like a good way to rack up damage

Top Bottom