• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Data Lucario Hitbox Visualization

Furil

Smash Apprentice
Smash 4 hit-boxes are interpolated, so imagine a line between a hit-box's current position and it's last. It hits that area too.
Example: http://i.imgur.com/wEBKNpI.gif

There are potentially bugs in any of these, so let me know if you notice anything particularly off and I'll check. There have been instances of weird hit-boxes that ended up being a bug.

Pivot grabs seem to be a little weird with their effective range. The above image is what the data says, but the below one is closer to what actually happens in-game. It may not be 100%, though.

Mini-FAQ:
Q: How did you make these?
A: I made a parser for animcmd commands and applied it to the model and animation from the 3DS version of the game.

Q: Can you do hurtboxes?
A: Not yet

Q: These don't look like the quality of the Wii U models, why?
A: These are 3DS models (and data). There isn't a difference in frame data between Wii U and 3DS.

Q: This attack looks wrong, is this actually correct?
A: Let me know which one and I'll check. It's possible for a bug or two to mess up stuff.

Q: The image isn't playing.
A: There are play, reverse, and frame advance buttons under the images. They may be hard to see.

Q: Can I use these for my guide?
A: Yes.

Thank you

Last edited:

JosePollo

Smash Journeyman
It could be that pivot grabs use the character's position on the frame the grab is input and stretch the hitbox to the current location of the character when the first frame of the grab collision actually happens. Characters continue to slide just a bit (or a lot if you're Fox) when they perform a pivot grab, which may explain why the frame data doesn't line up properly with what happens in-game and why some characters have exceedingly better pivot grabs than others. But that's just my conjecture.

Last edited:

Downshift

Smash Journeyman
Yes! I've been waiting for Lucario since you started doing this.

Thanks so much!

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
It could be that pivot grabs use the character's position on the frame the grab is input and stretch the hitbox to the current location of the character when the first frame of the grab collision actually happens. Characters continue to slide just a bit (or a lot if you're Fox) when they perform a pivot grab, which may explain why the frame data doesn't line up properly with what happens in-game and why some characters have exceedingly better pivot grabs than others. But that's just my conjecture.
Or it might have been designed this way. The Brawl's website kind of implies it: http://www.smashbros.com/wii/en_us/howto/technique/technique10.html. From the site, pivot grabs have this as the description: "While dashing, press the direction opposite your current heading while performing a grab. You’ll get more range out of this kind of grab, so try pulling a 180 and scooping up your unsuspecting opponent with it." The image for pivot grab even says this: "You can grab from this far away!" This being the image.

Nysyr

Smash Journeyman
Thank you so much for doing this.

Holy moly that range for FPG is tiny lol.

Last edited:

TheLobsterCopter5000

Smash Apprentice
Game Dev A: hey i've got a cool idea, how about instead of putting a hitbox at the start of lucario's up special, we put it at the end, just to shake things up a little

Game Dev B: Haha! good one, but wouldn't that be completely useless? How could we possibly make it useful?

Game Dev A: Hmmmmmmmmm............... I dunno, just make it really big.

Top Bottom