• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

LowLandLions Gets Into Smash with Remen and Jeapie

Marc

Relic of the Past
BRoomer
While many American Smash Bros. players have recently been picked up by sponsors, the same could not be said for European competitors, a notable exception being EMP P4K Armada.

In the Netherlands this has finally changed, as eSports team LowLandLions decided to venture into Smash Bros. with wily veteran Remen and fan favourite Jeapie. Remen recently won the Japanese MLG qualifier while studying in Japan and will be flying out to the US shortly. Jeapie on the other hand stepped up his attendance of European events, boasting recent wins against Amsah and Over Triforce. The original Dutch press release can be found here.

Remen and Jeapie facing off at a recent Dutch event.

We got a chance to sit down with LLL.Jeapie and ask him some questions on the sponsorship and how he plays the game.

You are often referred to as an entertainer due to your flashy Falcon acrobatics. Some would argue this doesn't quite fit with a competitive mindset. Why do you play the game and what do you recommend others to strive for in their style?

“Having fun matters more to me than results. If you don’t have fun while playing you will get salty or frustrated. A positive mindset is key in my opinion, for many things in life. Sooner or later you won't like the game anymore if you get too negative and you have to avoid that.

Some people argue that I don't have a competitive mindset because of my playing style. All I can say is... take a look at my results. Maybe they could have been better if I was more serious. Maybe I could be on that Armada/Leffen level. Maybe not. I beat Over and Ice in a tournament set while playing the way I like best. Flashy. That is not something which is easy to do. All I know is that I’m proud of my results and I have a good time while playing friendlies or tournament matches!

I actually mained a lot of characters of the cast, but somehow Captain Falcon stuck out to me as my favorite character, even though he wasn't my best character until 2011. I think you should play your favorite character no matter what and try to make him your best. Getting good results is one thing, but getting them with your favorite character while having fun is even better.”

What kind of team is LowLandLions, what can they offer you as a sponsor and what will you do for them?

“LowLandLions is a fantastic team sponsoring 5 different games (League of Legends, Street Fighter 4, Call of Duty: Ghosts, Hearthstone and Super Smash Bros. Melee). They provide me with money for traveling to events, gear for live streaming and recording videos, a fantastic flashy LLL jersey and more.

I don’t have any experience with streaming and video content, so I'll need a little help to get started. I will also blog about certain smash events and, last but not least, I will make LLL proud. Playing for a team is plain awesome.”

Jeapie wearing the LLL jersey for the first time.

Does your sponsorship enable you to travel to the USA for upcoming events? If so, which events are on your radar?

“It doesn’t necessarily. A ticket to the USA is expensive, sadly. However, I’m sure we can work something out if I manage to get better results at international tourneys in Europe, so time to step up my game! If I were to go to any event, I would definitely try to go to Evo2014. Unfortunately it is too soon, so I will not make that one. I will try to make it to The Big House 4 though!”

With the sponsorship, will you keep focusing on Melee or do you plan to pick up Smash 4 as well?

“I will be focusing on both Melee and Smash 4. I already have a Wii U, so all I have to do is wait for Captain Falcon to be confirmed and buy the game!”

Hax gave in to 20XX, when will you follow suit?

“As I mentioned before, Falcon wasn't my best character for a while. This is because Fox was my best character! Switching to Fox in teams at RoF helped me out a few times, so using Fox more in doubles is definitely on my mind. Will I give in to 20XX in singles? Nope!”

In the near future, you can catch LLL.Remen at MLG Anaheim and various events in Japan. LLL.Jeapie will continue to put his best knee forward at Avalon IV and other European events. Good luck to both!

Major thanks go out to Ryuker for setting up the interview.

Marc Marc is a longtime Smash Bros. player and TO from the Netherlands. For further contact and checking out his awesome pictures from a recent trip to China and Japan, you can find him on Facebook.

Last edited by a moderator:

mixa

Banned via Warnings
Optimal playstyles
Sub-optimal playstyles
That is only the selfish perception of people
Truly skilled players should try to win with their favorites
src

Last edited:

Unicorn

The Most Majestic
NNID
SenseiCrumb
But what do we do if our favorite is Roy?
Because winning isn't really an option...

Sovereign

Game Reaper
NNID
Sovereign90
Glad to see sponsorships are reaching further, which will eventually allow us to see international tournaments more often.

Last edited:

Marc

Relic of the Past
BRoomer
Can someone explain to me why Remen is that often in Japan? Isn´t that...hella expensive?
It's not so much a matter of "often" as "for a long time". He studied there for a few months and will go right back after MLG.

TreK

Is "that guy"
Reign Esports has picked a few UK players such as Willz and Professor Pro, Armada wasn't the only sponsored European player ;)
Technically, Leon (one of the two best Marths in the world in Brawl) is European, even though he's moved to Canada and plans on staying there. He's been picked up by EMG.

We're a bit late, yes, but we're not starving either :D

KayB

Smash Master
BRoomer
Jeapie said:
Having fun matters more to me than results. If you don’t have fun while playing you will get salty or frustrated. A positive mindset is key in my opinion, for many things in life. Sooner or later you won't like the game anymore if you get too negative and you have to avoid that.
Heh, I like this quote.

Optimal playstyles
Sub-optimal playstyles
That is only the selfish perception of people
Truly skilled players should try to win with their favorites
src
I disagree. There's nothing wrong with aiming to have an optimal playstyle over a sub-optimal one. Certain people will enjoy mastering the game to its fullest extent and playing as best as possible. Playing with favorites is one thing, but players shouldn't be scrutinized by using the playstyle they enjoy the most.

Marc

Relic of the Past
BRoomer
Reign Esports has picked a few UK players such as Willz and Professor Pro, Armada wasn't the only sponsored European player ;)
Technically, Leon (one of the two best Marths in the world in Brawl) is European, even though he's moved to Canada and plans on staying there. He's been picked up by EMG.

We're a bit late, yes, but we're not starving either :D
It didn't say Armada was the only exception, though I suppose I could have name-dropped Reign. Point is, even if it's a handful of players, that's not a lot for an entire continent. Either way, I agree things are looking up!

Gatoray

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Gatoray
3DS FC
3024-5880-3045
This kind of mindset with playing your favorite characters and all that is what drives me to play and learn a competitive Ness. It's one thing to understand that your character has a major disadvantage, but it's another thing to disassociate that disadvantage with yourself, suck up the johns, and just play your best.

Playing to win is always the goal, but if you sacrifice fun for success, you've already lost.

(But it doesn't hurt to have a Peach waiting on the sidelines ready to kick butt)

Last edited:
Top Bottom