• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Lower Norfair

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Lol I'm def using that
Oh, you know how jab is a thing after falling fair? (about the only thing fair true combos into for Ridley)

Well if you do gentleman jab or jab 3 by holding A instead of the rapid jab, you'll kill with it at higher percents. In other words, fair > gentleman jab is another kill confirm.

Down throw > dash & turnaround fullhop bair or IDJ bair at the edge can be a good confirm too at higher %, though that one's not exactly true like the others.

This one's frame tight but at mid %, d-throw/d-tilt/up tilt/f-air (up tilt being most consistent) > footstool jump & waveland > jab 1 and f-smash. There's also dair > up smash around 50% (with or without platform assist), if you know for sure the dair will hit when they're in the middle of an animation, and you can charge the up smash to wait and bait out a neutral airdodge. Similarly around 100%, Ridley can do dair > shorthop uair, putting them and yourself in just the right position to kill with the tipper of the wings. Past that % mark, you can do fullhop for the uair instead, and around 130% or so, double jump or IDJ for the uair.

Last edited:

Minix0

Smash Apprentice
Oh, you know how jab is a thing after falling fair? (about the only thing fair true combos into for Ridley)

Well if you do gentleman jab or jab 3 by holding A instead of the rapid jab, you'll kill with it at higher percents. In other words, fair > gentleman jab is another kill confirm.

Down throw > dash & turnaround fullhop bair at the edge can be a good confirm too at higher %, though that one's not exactly true like the others.
Cool I'll test them out. I'm going to a tournament tomorrow so hopefully those come in handy.

The bair thing seems to not kill most of the time but I do go for it.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Was looking more into ledge trumping earlier with Ridley, and aside from ledge snapping with Wing Blitz down to trump them or spike them when they lose intangibility, trumping with the other Wing Blitz angles from off stage, holding forward during other 2 frames followed by trumping, or during Akuma Jumping, as well as the general tactics shown in the GimR videos like run off, down, and back toward ledge (while close to the ledge but not too close), walk off and down instead of running off followed by grabbing ledge, doing it as a roll out of shield with back against the ledge followed by the move off inputs, or the run skid method by running (10 frames for Ridley which is roughly equal to a roll distance) and releasing control stick followed immediately by moving off, down, and pressing back towards ledge like you normally would (the latter two methods of which help with the collision box shenanigans)...

Other leadup attacks into ledge trump for Ridley, like here when they lose intangibility, would be like run off, hold down, up air, then jump to grab the ledge, as well as run off and bair. Run off nair could maybe cover something that uair can't.

For specials, run off SPR would be too reactable but is an option, as well as run off & jump B-reverse single fireball, or if you really want to get spicy, run off and jump turnaround skewer.

Ridley’s could add ledge trumps to their edgeguarding game more, is all I’m saying. Mainly go for when opponent is patient at ledge and doesn't fall for ledgetraps, or if their up B has no hitbox.

For bait options, there’s run off, airdodge, ledge grab, then punish with any attack of choice. Also parrying one’s recovery and then going for a ledge trump as a punish, or just bait a ledge trump by running towards ledge, then back away and prepare an on stage punish right when they decide to getup. (Unrelated to trumping, but likewise you can push or jump forward and then dash or jump back and d/f-tilt (up angle f-tilt for punishing shorthops or recovering near ledge from above and can down angle f-tilt instead if they're near ledge and knocked off below), d/f-smash, side B/down B, dash attack, instant or dash pivot grab (flickshot/holdshot included), retreating autocancel nair/fadeback fair or pivot bair against safe aerial approaches as they land, shield if you anticipate their dash attack and punish accordingly, or up throw (tomahawk jump forward and fastfall into grab if you choose) or up tilt > fullhop/IDJ tomahawk jump up & fastfall to bait jumps/airdodge and catch their landing with an attack or fall and jump again with delayed aerial. Can use uair to bait an airdodge too and punish after, or run off stage and uair if they’re recovering high. There's also wavedash (from ground) > f-smash which can bait and punish a number of things)

* The up throw frame trap is mainly to be used for those that have difficulty landing to begin with, or a character that can't safely make it to ledge after jumping away.

For edgeguarding while hanging at ledge after you ledge trump, there's nair + bair at around mid %, mainly on big bodies. To do the inputs for this, press back and jump + A > jump again and back + A, and up B to get back to ledge afterward. Can also do a uair after a trump like to catch those that jump afterward. Then for doing just bair at high %, can either jump away from ledge quick and bair (can gimp even if they’re not yet at kill % for it), or ledge jump after the trump to hit bair on someone up higher. Even if you don’t land a bair in time too, the opponent will lose intangibility when they regrab the ledge which you can then punish with a smash attack or something.

You can also do specials as an edgeguard after trumping. i.e. for plasma, drop ledge and jump and B-reverse. As such, you can similarly ledge release and jump and turnaround skewer and reverse side B.

Oh, this bit is a more general part of ledge trumping. Isn’t new but very good to know, a thread explaining how ledge trump advantage works; the sooner you grab ledge after the opponent, the more frame advantage you get.

There's also just dropping down and ledge snapping, like for ledge trumping but with a different goal; the idea being to use ledge invincibility to just not care about anti edgeguards or reversals, while also setting up for a double jump bair or nair. Pretty effective against tether recovery characters.

Last edited:

Minix0

Smash Apprentice
Was looking more into ledge trumping with Ridley, and aside from ledge snapping with WB down, and the general tactics for it shown in the GimR videos, other attacks into ledge trump for Ridley I found effective were like run off, hold down, up air, then jump to grab the ledge, as well as run off and bair. Run off nair could maybe cover something that uair can't.

For other specials, run off side B would be too reactable but is an option for real ledge campy opponents, as well as run off & turnaround single fireball, or if you really want to get spicy, run off and turnaround skewer. That’s one stage spike I don’t think I’ve seen though.

Ridley’s could add ledge trumps to their ledge trapping game more, is all I’m saying.
Dunno, with how trumping can be di'ed in this game, I never really bother with it.

Tryin' to learn how to parry better atm

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Dunno, with how trumping can be di'ed in this game, I never really bother with it.

Tryin' to learn how to parry better atm
That’s fair. Mainly just suggesting ledge trumping as a mixup, not as like the main way to edgeguard or ledge trap.

For parrying I always just do training mode, pick someone like Falco or Wolf as the opponent, and have the AI use neutral B.

Btw, turns out this clip can be replicated with Ridley’s bair. Just gotta DI into the stage and tech (hold left if you're on the right ledge and shield) after getting hit to make it possible, then immediately jump and bair. Might have to delay the input at higher % though since you’re in a lot of hitstun at that point and might whiff the input, but is a true punish when it works. She cannot shield after the d-tilt.

You can also DI tech her Explosive Flame if it hits you while you’re at ledge. I guess that goes for any moves that send straight up though.

What I did to practice this since I was having trouble with it at first for awhile, was went to Battlefield in training mode, picked Zelda as the opponent, pushed her to the edge, and had the AI set to use neutral B; putting my own health around 87% and going to the ledge and practicing the DI in > Tech > jump + bair inputs accordingly after being hit. Helps to try the slowest speeds first to get the timing down.

I started doing it by just 1 frame, then did 1/4 speed, then 1/2 speed, then 2/3 speed, until finally I was about to do it at 1x normal speed. Really does make the difference.

This here helps make teching at the side of a stage more efficient and consistent in general, for instances outside of the above example.

While also on the subject of teching stage walls…

Oh, and if you drop down away + buffer jump, you can bair and reverse nair from ledge as shown here.

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I started labbing f-air hits and timing more recently, particularly with only landing the 1st hit of fair, and learned some interesting things.

To start with, the way I found to do just fair 1 every time is shorthop, press forward on the right/C stick, then immediately hold down to fastfall. Don't do the last couple inputs at the same time though (like when you do a fullhop fastfall to land with fair 3) or you'll just land before the 1st hit of fair gets to come out. The one exception to this is when you fastfall through a platform to land just the 1st hit of fair and not the 2nd.

Jab is the one true combo followup from fair 1 (allowing for a kill confirm if you do a Gentleman jab at higher % as mentioned before), but was found there were some nice mixups you can do from it such as f-tilt and f-smash for spacing, turnaround up smash which can catch them shielding (finally learned how to do that myself after seeing Acroraptor do it for so long), and grab or space pirate rush which can do the same.

Is recommended to go for a retreating or spaced fair 1 if you want to create some distance to make it safer on shield, to avoid things like shield grab. That’s when you could go for a tipper f-tilt followup, forcing a tech chase. You can also use a spaced fair 1 to set up into Skewer to catch the opponent off guard.

Last but not least, just found out earlier that the 1st hit of fair off stage sends the opponent downward; thus it can be a good mixup there too if spaced right, so don't just always rely on the fair train when using the move off stage. Examples below.

Edit: After testing it, is really position dependent, to land it off stage without fair 2 and 3 also connecting. Mainly works when you’re about to go off stage as you catch someone’s jumps/recovery with it, kinda like with the above video. In such an event, you can followup with a dair when you're right above them. Still, good to know.

While the f-air train off stage is just a DI knowledge check, against heavies Ridley can mix in a fastfall after the first fair (especially if they are dead set on recovering low) while giving a tight window to react and continue the string.

Last edited:

Dandog

Smash Rookie
NNID
dandog_u
3DS FC
3695-0097-6891
Yeah, I won't lie, downward wing blitz is sorta busted now, but with all the vulnerabilities Ridley has, I guess he's owed at least one kinda busted move.

Anywho, think this is any good? Compared to the other advanced movement options I mean. Think pivot cancel would still be better for f-tilt, but can see this being another useful option for boost grabbing and spacing use of d-tilt.

Heard an earlier guide for dash walking didn't get much traction, so glad to have become more aware of it through this one. As a tilt stick user, can say it benefits me well too, and feels easier to pull off in hindsight than the other extended dash options I'm aware of or recall practicing before.
Do you still play Robin?

Dandog

Smash Rookie
NNID
dandog_u
3DS FC
3695-0097-6891
ayy thanks for your help, i'll keep that info in mind haha. also yea a ridley weight buff is definitely something i've wanted for a while but if it doesn't happen it isnt the end of the world. i think in terms of ridley buffs id like a tweak to up smash so it can hit characters like kirby and meta knight while they stand in place.

universal parry buffs would be great, definitely underused as of right now in the meta for such a big change. giving it more frames to act i think would benefit a lot of the lesser characters, and it would also mitigate some people's problems with the game (people complaining that the whole game is people spamming their safe combo starters, so parrying those and still having time to punish it would hurt that strat a lot)
Do you still play Ridley?

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Me play Robin? What?

So... Something that started being labbed recently for Ridley is an alternate combo route with his throw game, where after dthrow nair regrab, instead of following with another dthrow, you do up throw; the followup options on that being fullhop/instant double jump (IDJ) nair or up air depending on the character or %. Basically a good setup if you don't have enough stage space to work with for multiple dthrows or can´t combo onto a platform. Obviously, this is better than trying any up throw setup at 0% by nature of being done later in the combo tree.

Of course, there's DI to consider, such as the opponent jumping or airdodging away, but depending on the character you can still hit them with said fullhop/IDJ aerials. Also, airdodge away in this instance can be reacted to with our side B or jump side B in either direction.

This might be niche compared to Ridley's usual game of mostly down throws when it comes to grabbing, but shows some promise so far.

Also, was looking up other miscellaneous advanced techniques to see if there were anymore I may have missed, and came across this one (which I don't think I've seen used in clips, at least for Ridley) called drop canceling, or platform canceling; the act of landing back on a platform immediately after dropping through it by hitting with a jump aerial attack, cutting down air time.

From what I tested after learning it, all of Ridley's aerials apply and will make him land back on platform after dropping through it; even dair which will hit in that instance if the opponent's next to you on the plat, and with how fast it is, making it a quick strong move when used this way. Funny enough, no hitbox comes out for the Belmonts’ dair when used with drop cancel, making it useless in that regard.

Same deal goes for the specials when you drop cancel, though I think you should drop a little lower (closer to ground) when you drop cancel with side B.

I guess it should be used not so much on the basic platform stages like Battlefield, but ones like Town and City where there's no ground underneath said platform for you to drop down to and up smash. For stages that there is though, d-throw or d-tilt onto platform, and then up smash from underneath; can charge it if you want to wait for them to tech or getup.

Last edited:

Garo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Garomasta
3DS FC
3308-4572-3157
This match started out unusually well (Please ignore that single frame of me being hit by Ness' nair):
Relating to Ridley and some other characters, I've recently started incorporating dash back -> down/forward tilt to my gameplan whenever I remember, specifically against aerial approaches. I know, seems kind of obvious, but my instinct has always been to either shield or try to challenge them head-on, even though it often doesn't work out well against quick and safe aerials.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
This match started out unusually well (Please ignore that single frame of me being hit by Ness' nair):
Relating to Ridley and some other characters, I've recently started incorporating dash back -> down/forward tilt to my gameplan whenever I remember, specifically against aerial approaches. I know, seems kind of obvious, but my instinct has always been to either shield or try to challenge them head-on, even though it often doesn't work out well against quick and safe aerials.
Oh yeah, I guess there’s using down tilt on like a landing opponent that way. Same with f-tilt even though I normally use it out of pivot (oh, and I guess f-smash/d-smash and retreating nair or fair too). Ground approaches can also be reacted to with regular or dash pivot grab.

Likewise on a hanging opponent, you can bait a ledge trump by running towards ledge, then dash away and prepare an on-stage punish right when they decide to getup. Often seems more useful than doing a ledge trump itself.

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Happy 3rd anniversary to Ridley’s Smash reveal, and happy 2nd to Banjo’s. How time flies.

I had actually been playing online awhile again recently and as such have gotten a good few clips with Rid recorded, though have slowed down on it now with something else I just started playing, but with how close we should be to the next character reveal (E3 on the 15th or something), won’t be long till I’m back on it anyway.

But yeah, good times. Cheers. The above vid awesome; give a watch if you haven’t already. The head part of Ridley there was practical made, while the rest of him was CG.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773

Maybe? At the very least some cameo or amiibo related stuff for Rid.

I get that people are tired of shoto or comeback mechanic characters at this point (though the demon form looks cool), but the Kazuya matchup can’t be any worse than the others, way I see it. Of course at the beginning you always have people (even top players) assume the worst and thinking this new guy’s gonna be OP until they actually learn the matchup. An endless cycle.

Garo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Garomasta
3DS FC
3308-4572-3157
"The series has chronicled the uncanny relationship between these Metroids and the heroine Samus, but this game will mark an end to that story arc."

This sounds pretty interesting. I'm wondering if the Chozo faction introduced in Samus Returns' lore and seemingly making their first actual appearance in Dread will factor heavily into the next story arc? I imagine they'd be a good way to introduce some new personal stakes for Samus, having her go up against the race that raised her and knows her powers better than anyone.

The E.M.M.I., while seemingly VERY derivative presents a new kind of looming threat that will hopefully make exploration more tense. From what I've gathered there's seven and from the Treehouse demo we've already seen three, each different: the 1st is basically broken and can barely follow Samus, the 2nd can't fit into tight spaces, a weakness that the 3rd overcomes. Things are about to get dangerous if the four remaining ones also get gradually more difficult to avoid. Maybe we'll even get chased by more than one at the same time? I'm excited about the potential.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I wonder if Samus having Metroid DNA (or her finding out that the Galactic Federation is cloning Metroids for some nefarious purpose) will factor into the plot. Either one could be the reason why the robots are chasing after her.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
"The series has chronicled the uncanny relationship between these Metroids and the heroine Samus, but this game will mark an end to that story arc."

This sounds pretty interesting. I'm wondering if the Chozo faction introduced in Samus Returns' lore and seemingly making their first actual appearance in Dread will factor heavily into the next story arc? I imagine they'd be a good way to introduce some new personal stakes for Samus, having her go up against the race that raised her and knows her powers better than anyone.

The E.M.M.I., while seemingly VERY derivative presents a new kind of looming threat that will hopefully make exploration more tense. From what I've gathered there's seven and from the Treehouse demo we've already seen three, each different: the 1st is basically broken and can barely follow Samus, the 2nd can't fit into tight spaces, a weakness that the 3rd overcomes. Things are about to get dangerous if the four remaining ones also get gradually more difficult to avoid. Maybe we'll even get chased by more than one at the same time? I'm excited about the potential.
There's also a 4th yellow one in the trailer that, in addition to all the above, seems to be available to activate a speed boost, at least on flat terrain based on it's cutscene.
I wonder if Samus having Metroid DNA (or her finding out that the Galactic Federation is cloning Metroids for some nefarious purpose) will factor into the plot. Either one could be the reason why the robots are chasing after her.
Could be, could also be that Chozo(!!) who may or may not be evil be the one that hacked them and made them lose contact with the Federation. Heck, the description is kind of vague on whether Samus was even requested to be there, or if she just somehow got wind of these events on her own and did her own investigation to make sure there are no X parasites (the stated reason the EMMI robots were sent), not trusting the Federation to give her approval to do so.

Am I the only one that finds these robots made for research turning deadly more creepy than if they were just straight-up designed as death-bots from the beginning?

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Not sure how to feel about the Kazuya matchup yet, but as expected, his demon form allows him to fly longer than Ridley which I saw some complaining about. Even Steve can outfly him due to having glide, but that's just DLC character privilege which you come to expect at this point.

Sakurai thinks Ridley has good recovery though, which for the most part, he does. I can understand wanting him to be more nimble in the air, but since he's a heavy, guess we can't have our cake and eat it too.

image0_1_40.jpg

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Not sure how to feel about the Kazuya matchup yet, but as expected, his demon form allows him to fly longer than Ridley which I saw some complaining about. Even Steve can outfly him due to having glide, but that's just DLC character privilege which you come to expect at this point.

Sakurai thinks Ridley has good recovery though, which for the most part, he does. I can understand wanting him to be more nimble in the air, but since he's a heavy, guess we can't have our cake and eat it too.

View attachment 320992
Kazuya may technically fly better than Ridley, but he doesn't actually look particularly good at fighting in the air, his moves are stubbier and can't chain the way his ground moves do.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Kazuya may technically fly better than Ridley, but he doesn't actually look particularly good at fighting in the air, his moves are stubbier and can't chain the way his ground moves do.
Yeah. Like the actual shotos, he's just another fighter we gotta outrange, while watching out for that beam attack; I will admit it's a refreshing projectile compared to seeing yet another type of fireball.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Yeah. Like the actual shotos, he's just another fighter we gotta outrange, while watching out for that beam attack; I will admit it's a refreshing projectile compared to seeing yet another type of fireball.
And edgeguard him aggressively, he has mix-ups but can't do too much that is threatening and his own air mobility isn't great either, making him easy to chase. Just gotta be careful not to get too comfortable with any spacing method as he has an answer for most when in range. Mind your highs and lows.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Once he's off stage, he's more or less toast, and while he has more air time than Ridley with the wings, his recovery isn't even close to Ridley's. Amusing how mindless his jab combo is, even with how easy it is to dodge/DI out of which we can punish with our side B or something accordingly.

Oh, it can also be parried.

But yeah, seems like an okay matchup I guess.

Last edited:

Garo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Garomasta
3DS FC
3308-4572-3157
Mishima Dojo seems great for Ridley. You get wall slams for days and the side blast zones are so small that once the walls break Space Pirate Rush kills very early.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I just wanna get this Dread theory off my chest: since Samus Returns I've felt that Aeion is what X parasites are made of, but it is also present in every living being, which is exactly what Metroids were made to feed off (the true nature of the "life force" the Prime pirates were trying to find). With that in mind, and how only Chozo know about it, it would be easy to mistake strong Aeion readings as X parasites.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
There was a problem fetching the tweet

Might have to try that sometime.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773

Hype responsibly?

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Didn't notice until it was kinda pointed out to me, but when Ridley does a down throw on Kazuya, the angle in which he gets tossed and moved after the d-throw appears different than from everyone else. Another one of his unique perks I guess. Because of how he moves after it, I seem to tend to only get sweetspot nair or fair mainly. But yeah, that's... new.

And this is with no DI or anything, just the CPU on training mode. Another one of his bugs perhaps?

Okay, after doing the usual dthrow stuff on another character and then going back to him, the main difference is that he falls back to neutral a little quicker after the throw for some reason. The other stuff like reverse nair also whiff with him after the throw.

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773

This video made me realize how much I've slept on SPR release options. Not saying much but these setups honestly seems more reliable than trying to rely on SPR itself to kill, though note that it kills earlier when used at the edge than when dragging with it for damage. The Town and City stage particularly is a goldmine for SPR release setups, sometimes allowing you to followup with another SPR due to the number of platforms.

Oh, Minix0 Minix0 .

Last edited:

Minix0

Smash Apprentice
Space Pirate Rush doesn't kill ROB at 150% on Battlefield if DI'd slightly diagonally down.

Pain.

Also Kazuya mu isn't horrible, just another even one. He seems annoying to edgeguard though.

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Space Pirate Rush doesn't kill ROB at 150% on Battlefield if DI'd slightly diagonally down.

Pain.

Also Kazuya mu isn't horrible, just another even one. He seems annoying to edgeguard though.
Not sure if you knew this but if it's any consolation, but DI down and away is also how you survive Bowser's Flying Slam at high %. Clip example. Fake kill command grab gang.

But yeah, had been doing better with SPR since I started doing the above release followup options more. One thing I started doing more recently too which I knew about before but underestimated its use until then, is up angle f-tilt as an anti air to catch shorthops. Up tilt's an anti air too of course, but mainly for when they fullhop or are right above you, but when you use both those moves at the right time, you can cover both bases for anti airing. Before I just tried to use up tilt at the wrong time and it got stuffed out.

Also dash shielding more, as a more effective way of doing it was gone over not too long ago, which made me more confident in my out of shield options again.

Last edited:

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
Space Pirate Rush follow ups were something I latched on to right away and have found pretty good success. It's the reason why I like down air so much. When people tell me it's useless I just think nah you haven't been using it off stage in the right way.

That video however did give me more ideas to think about when following up with specials. I don't use any specials after SPR at the moment.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Space Pirate Rush follow ups were something I latched on to right away and have found pretty good success. It's the reason why I like down air so much. When people tell me it's useless I just think nah you haven't been using it off stage in the right way.

That video however did give me more ideas to think about when following up with specials. I don't use any specials after SPR at the moment.
Down air after SPR jump release is far more practical than doing a down air after fullhop from the ledge and hoping it spikes. The latter with them being right below you I find too situational, but with an SPR release, a down air followup is pretty much a given.

Even apart from that though, I kinda mellowed out from crapping on the move over time. It is one of Ridley's worst moves and I'll never agree with the hitbox unless they improve it someday by some miracle, but doesn't mean it's useless.

You can use it to descend to stage when knocked outside the camera zone and it'll cancel well in time (downward wing blitz is better though If you want to recover to ledge from above). Dair can also be good for quickly punishing a whiffed move or when the opponent's in the middle of an animation, if you know for sure it'll hit since you don't want to rely on trading with it due to the hitbox. At 50% and higher, it can even lead into up smash, which platforms will help with the setup. Similarly around 100%, can do dair into shorthop uair, putting them and yourself in just the right position to kill with the tipper of the wings. Past that % mark, you can do fullhop for the uair instead, and around 130% or so, double jump or IDJ for the uair.

Is useful for some matchups too. Ridley hits Mega-Man through the leaf shield with dair. It can also go through Snake’s mortar, surprisingly, and be a niche out of shield option.

Back to SPR release options though, this is what I ranked from most to least useful after studying that video: dair, fair, nair, jump back and B-reverse plasma, and wavebounce skewer; the last two mainly to do as you're pulling back and descending back on stage near the ledge as they recover. Oh, and down and up angle wing blitz or another SPR as mixups.

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773

This was the most hype set I've seen in awhile. Ridley defeating the latest anime at top level play.

He's actually good against most swordies, even if Pythra isn't the best example of it. Any good Ridley will need a secondary character to work when it comes to zoners though (Nair^ switched to Hero when it came to Palu and ROB), but Ridley's not completely out of the meta at least which is nice to see.

Minix0

Smash Apprentice

This was the most hype set I've seen in awhile. Ridley defeating the latest anime at top level play.

He's actually good against most swordies, even if Pythra isn't the best example of it. Any good Ridley will need a secondary character to work when it comes to zoners though (Nair^ switched to Hero when it came to Palu and ROB), but Ridley's not completely out of the meta at least which is nice to see.
Ridley wins pretty well against Pyra. Not so much against Pythra, but the mu is very doable. Ridley outranges them pretty well and edgeguards them even better. They don't have a counter unlike the other swordies so Ridley gets back for free a lot. I'd say its an even mu, give or take imo.

Top Bottom