• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Lower Norfair

Ultomato

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW 1995 0060 1138
There’s a bit too many antagonists now for there to just be a “big 3” like in Melee, Brawl, and such, even if some can be delegated to antihero or something less than a big bad. K. Rool would still be the latter at least, though like the image still.
The big 3 primarily refers to the villains from the 3 biggest franchises (not counting Pokémon and FE but they don't have villains in smash so eh)

Garo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Garomasta
3DS FC
3308-4572-3157
I just realized you can find your replays in the web through the Smash app. Here are a few cool Ridley clips I got a while back:

Predatoria

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5219-6817-7975
I just realized you can find your replays in the web through the Smash app. Here are a few cool Ridley clips I got a while back:

That was a REALLY potent skewer to Captain Falcon. I think you definitely showed him your moves.

And that star kill, I never would've risked doing that it looked really scary. I liked the clips!

Do these sync automatically? How'd you get them?

Garo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Garomasta
3DS FC
3308-4572-3157
Do these sync automatically? How'd you get them?
I posted them to shared content in-game, which makes them visible in the "Your creations" section of the Smash app. From there I shared them on Twitter, where I could get their Youtube links which I then posted here. There seemed to be other sharing options besides Twitter, but I didn't look into those.

Predatoria

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5219-6817-7975
I posted them to shared content in-game, which makes them visible in the "Your creations" section of the Smash app. From there I shared them on Twitter, where I could get their Youtube links which I then posted here. There seemed to be other sharing options besides Twitter, but I didn't look into those.
I had no idea you could do this. I’ve alwats had to do the sd card thing which is kind of a pain. Lemme try this!

I've been practicing my up B spikes a bit and got these four. I'm quite happy with them, which were performed one night a friend of mine who plays Cloud was present. He was quite impressed with the effectiveness of this new way to attack his recovery:

https://youtu.be/_xzoNZVBCkQ

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
So anyone else catch wind of Ridley's new major player? Ner or Altair, that's what he goes by right? Got 2nd at the Mexican Gaming Championship, who beat a solid Mario and Palutena to get there.

Predatoria

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5219-6817-7975
So anyone else catch wind of Ridley's new major player? Ner or Altair, that's what he goes by right? Got 2nd at the Mexican Gaming Championship, who beat a solid Mario and Palutena to get there.
I haven't, when did this happen? Can you post the sets? I'd love to see the nair god out nair the nair goddess.

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773

Press F to pay respects for Kraid and Crocomire.

For such a day/occasion though, this really is a fun post, even if the poll winner would be too obvious.

Zeox

Smash Champion
You know, sometimes I like to check page 86 again just to reread the reactions of everyone when Ridley got confirmed... after so much time they are still beautiful.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
You know, sometimes I like to check page 86 again just to reread the reactions of everyone when Ridley got confirmed... after so much time they are still beautiful.
It's also kind of funny how skeptical the thread was. We had been burned so many times before that no one dared to get their hopes up.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I can understand rereading the June 12th 2018 reaction posts and stuff for nostalgia, but anything before that I definitely wouldn’t go out of my way to look at again, ever. Just let that time period of pessimism, negativity, and self-defeatism be a forgotten bygone era.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I can understand rereading the June 12th 2018 reaction posts and stuff for nostalgia, but anything before that I definitely wouldn’t go out of my way to look at again, ever. Just let that time period of pessimism, negativity, and self-defeatism be a forgotten bygone era.
I personally don't feel much shame about anything we did, I've even gone back to the Smash 4 thread to relive our reactions to the various events there (although I admittedly could only stomach doing so after Ridley did make it in). I myself made some awful posts back then that are pretty painful to read now, but for me it was all part of the experience, all the great moments we had wouldn't have been what they were without the bad moments from beforehand. Whether we like it or not, the cloud and shadow conspiracies, as well as all the heated arguments and reactions, are also part of the Ridley fanbase's legacy, it was the craziest ride any character fanbase has ever been on, and I wouldn't want any of it to be swept under the rug. I also think people were well justified in being pessimistic about his chances for Ultimate, of course in hindsight it seems unfair to Sakurai and the development team, but at the time it was a pretty logical stance to take for a fanbase that had already been stung twice before, and had spent the previous 4 years being ridiculed.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I personally don't feel much shame about anything we did, I've even gone back to the Smash 4 thread to relive our reactions to the various events there (although I admittedly could only stomach doing so after Ridley did make it in). I myself made some awful posts back then that are pretty painful to read now, but for me it was all part of the experience, all the great moments we had wouldn't have been what they were without the bad moments from beforehand. Whether we like it or not, the cloud and shadow conspiracies, as well as all the heated arguments and reactions, are also part of the Ridley fanbase's legacy, it was the craziest ride any character fanbase has ever been on, and I wouldn't want any of it to be swept under the rug. I also think people were well justified in being pessimistic about his chances for Ultimate, of course in hindsight it seems unfair to Sakurai and the development team, but at the time it was a pretty logical stance to take for a fanbase that had already been stung twice before, and had spent the previous 4 years being ridiculed.
Yeah, we didn't get Ridley in by being yes men after Sakurai denounced our idea of him the first or second time, and I'd push for him again if I had to despite outside perspectives maybe seeing it as hopeless, toxic, entitled, or whatever for not giving up. No shame there and I won't forget what I've learned as I grew through the experience, but life's too short for me to go back and reread all the bad times and stuff we had when I could be making myself happier moving forward with Ridley in Ultimate or other interests. Plus too, the social group things this site used to have were eventually deleted (for the best), so part of that history is gone for me anyway.

RidleyDX

Smash Ace
Yeah, we didn't get Ridley in by being yes men after Sakurai denounced our idea of him the first or second time, and I'd push for him again if I had to despite outside perspectives maybe seeing it as hopeless, toxic, entitled, or whatever for not giving up. No shame there and I won't forget what I've learned as I grew through the experience, but life's too short for me to go back and reread all the bad times and stuff we had when I could be making myself happier moving forward with Ridley in Ultimate or other interests. Plus too, the social group things this site used to have were eventually deleted (for the best), so part of that history is gone for me anyway.
Ahaha the social group, good times, It was a fun crazy ride for the most part, wouldn't have it any other way. We can walk tall from the whole ordeal saying we did it :chuckle:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
There was a problem fetching the tweet

Godly comeback against ZSS. She was teabagging at first too even, smh. Never have I been so glad to see such ridrage prevail.

Last edited:

IronTed

Smash Ace
I still find that moment surreal. I'm glad I was home alone, because I was screaming like a mad man.

I can see both sides of not wanting to look back. I haven't looked back much (though the Sm4sh thread will forever live in infamy) at these threads, but it's great seeing the payoff. This community is special and that time was special, even if excruciating at times. (And yes I'm very late to the party on this one).

Firox

Smash Master
And Ridley will join the Covenant, merging the Space Pirates with them.
After he impales the prophet Truth through the chest Aliens-style with his tail. Ridley doesn't play second fiddle to that poser. He RUNS the joint.

Last edited:

Predatoria

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5219-6817-7975
Last night, much to my surprise, a friend of mine who I play regularly with decided, all the sudden, he wanted to play Ridley. He usually plays Snake, and we've done probably hundreds of Ridley vs Snake matches. I was really happy when he wanted to play Ridley for some reason, and he ended up really liking him. He said he felt really powerful, and that Ridley was a very fun character to play.

We ended up doing some online 2v2s as double Ridley and it was so much fun. This was the best thing that happened, where he broke Krool's belly with a skewer, and we couldn't stop laughing like the entire match after it.

Double Ridley.jpg

Last edited:

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Back before the confirmation and before Vergeben I still predicted Ridley. I remember being like the only person on the internet who wasn't pessimistic about his chances. I wish the leak never happened. I would have felt so much more vindicated.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Back before the confirmation and before Vergeben I still predicted Ridley. I remember being like the only person on the internet who wasn't pessimistic about his chances. I wish the leak never happened. I would have felt so much more vindicated.
I was somewhere in between on it. Kinda on the fence, but even with the leak, at least one supporter or two went out of their way to try and prove Vergeben's claims fake, because God forbid the rest of us having any shred of hope or being anything other than cynical (at the time). I know previous history kinda justified it in hindsight, but it was ridiculous how hard out some were at having their adult in the room syndrome; the repeated "hype responsibly" phrase and such got old pretty quick, and I had followed that model myself for awhile.

Predatoria

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5219-6817-7975
Reggie is a Ridley main (and Zelda)
Source
I noticed the crowd's cheer was louder for Ridley. That makes me happy. I think I remember hearing Sakurai's favorite taunt is also Ridley's down taunt (Source). The smash gods smile upon us.

Do you think yall would've played much of Ultimate if Ridley wasn't part of the cast?

Last edited:

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
I noticed the crowd's cheer was louder for Ridley. That makes me happy. I think I remember hearing Sakurai's favorite taunt is also Ridley's down taunt (Source). The smash gods smile upon us.

Do you think yall would've played much of Ultimate if Ridley wasn't part of the cast?
I'd have still played it for K Rool and Joker, but Ridley is definitely a big part of why I play Ultimate.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Certainly, after all I did play the previous entries a ton despite him not being in. I put a lot into supporting Ridley, but I never held a grudge that was strong enough to seriously impact my enjoyment of either Brawl or Smash 4 in the long run, the lack of a single character isn't at the top of my list of criticisms of those games, even if I wanted that character so badly.

With that said, Ridley did provide a much needed spark for me. I played Smash 4 a lot, but not nearly as much as Melee or Brawl (I have 400 hours on Smash 4 across both consoles vs over 1000 hours in both Melee and Brawl), the game just felt a bit stale overall, both in terms of content and mechanics, for its last two years or so I only ever played it when friends or family suggested it. With Ultimate I'm excited every time I boot the game up, of course the crazy roster and the gameplay improvements are also big reasons for that, but Ridley specifically has been a huge part of it as well, he just adds that extra special something to the game, I never struggle for a reason to pick up the game since I can play as him. I doubt I'll ever reach the same amount of hours played as I did in Melee or Brawl mind you, circumstances are obviously very different from when I was a kid/teenager, and I think I'd have played the game more frequently than Smash 4 either way due to its other improvements, but Ridley is still a huge motivation for me to keep playing.

Last edited:

IronTed

Smash Ace
I see Reggie has good taste as well.

Hard to say. I'd still play it often, but imagining the game with no (playable) Ridley feels kinda bad. I'd probably still play it frequently, even if at a lower rate now, and with less satisfaction.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
If Smash for the Switch was what people originally presumed, simply a SSB4 port with the combined content of the Wii U and 3DS versions, but with Inklings Ice Climbers added and called it a day (SSB4 really killed speculation for something that low to be expected, lol), I wouldn’t of bothered. Thankfully Ultimate was more than that, even if some still call it a port. Everyone is here would’ve sold me enough on the game even if it didn’t have Ridley, but him being added, with a trailer at the end of the presentation no less, was the icing on the cake.

Garo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Garomasta
3DS FC
3308-4572-3157
Strangely enough, while I was never a proponent for Ridley and believed (and still do to a point) that all the concessions needed to make him playable would take away from his presence, he has ended up being my most played character. For me this is pretty remarkable, because all the way since Melee that spot has belonged to Ganondorf, whose Ultimate incarnation is even arguably the most fun to date. I most likely would play Ultimate just as much even if Ridley wasn't in, but now I am really glad he is.

Predatoria

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5219-6817-7975
I went back and read through the earlier pages of this thread. I'm glad yall campaigned so hard for his inclusion in Smash, as he would likely not be here without all of that rallying, posting, and support, especially given Sakurai's bone-chilling commentary on the subject for a while. I wish I could've shared that excitement at the time, but was completely oblivious to the happenings of this situation.

When I got Smash Ultimate in December for Christmas, I didn't know who he was, didn't know he was in the game, and had never heard of or seen the character before. I was always a Link main, but rarely actually played Smash prior to Ultimate. I didn't know how to use tilts or aerials or spot dodges or tech landings or any of that stuff, and kind of just stood back and shot arrows in the free-for-alls we had with my brother and cousins when they wanted to play. I was a horrible player.

My first glimpse of Ridley in Smash was on the "Challenger Approaching" screen while doing ffa's with a rl friend and a couple CPUs. I was, of course, playing Link. He didn't look like any Nintendo character I'd ever seen or heard of. He didn't even look like a Nintendo character. He wasn't fluffy, or round, or cute, but was some bizarre, terrifying combination of a pteradactyl and a dragon. I immediately wanted to play him just because he, by far, was the coolest looking character I'd ever seen in a Smash game (or a Nintendo game, at that).

I played him immediately the next match, but I was really bad with him. He couldn't stand back and spam bombs, arrows, and boomerangs at people and had to actually attack with regular moves. I didn't know how to play him. I ran around and tried to spam his smashes because I didn't know how to do tilts or aerials and had an awful time. I did not even know a "neutral air" even existed at all.

I learned the fundamentals of Smash just to play Ridley because I really, really really wanted to play him when I saw him appear. If he was not in the game, I would probably have stopped playing Smash in January. I would have gotten bored with throwing arrows from the sidelines as Link and moved on. I've made several new rl friends playing Smash that wouldnt've happened had he not been included, and all of that is on all the efforts put forth to get him into the game.

I've been meaning to ask, how can I get into the Ridley discord? The invitation in the op is expired.

Here it is!
https://discordapp.com/invite/3UJwxAh

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Might we have to start pondering the applications of side b's wall slam with the new King Of Fighters stage?

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Hm... Possibly. I was considering getting Terry just on his stage and its mechanics alone.

edit: Others say space pirate rush kills hyper late on there with the walls and has no combo potential beyond the ordinary to their knowledge. Oh well. Still a fun stage though, even if it won’t be legal in the competitive scene.

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTKZiGxilYg

Ridley had gliding found in his code for Ultimate apparently. Probably just leftover data taken from one of the other winged characters' coding, unless they were going to bring back gliding at first but it was cut short. Either way, doesn't mean much now, but interesting bit of trivia nonetheless.

Predatoria

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5219-6817-7975
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTKZiGxilYg

Ridley had gliding found in his code for Ultimate apparently. Probably just leftover data taken from one of the other winged characters' coding, unless they were going to bring back gliding at first but it was cut short. Either way, doesn't mean much now, but interesting bit of trivia nonetheless.
I’ve wanted more than anything else for Ridley to be able to glide. Maybe this mechanic was too hard to balance around, but then again if that was the issue you’d think they would have stopped after brawl / MK.

Last edited:
Top Bottom