• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Lower Norfair

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Well, that's reassuring. Ridley can't afford to lose him.

It's depressing how it feels like all of my mains are surviving off one person. If it weren't for Dabuz, no one would be taking Rosalina seriously.
I hear ya. It’s even more depressing when Rosalina’s been getting consistent buffs with the balance updates, yet fans/former mains still sleep on her because it’s not Smash 4 Rosa... I know I wouldn’t be taking any buffs of Ridley for granted like that.

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
JOKE KIRBY.png

Honest to God, Joker Kirby has been the one design that unsettles me the most. xD Specially because of the eyes!
Poor Roidley feels the horror. xP

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
View attachment 231145
Honest to God, Joker Kirby has been the one design that unsettles me the most. xD Specially because of the eyes!
Funny how one of the most intimidating characters in Smash has a cuter Kirby transformation than one of the cutest characters in Smash.

untitled.png
untitled1.png

Last edited:

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
View attachment 231145
Oh hey, Andrea it has been awhile~!

I do agree with Kirby's eyes looking odd but that's just the design of Joker. Anime or realistic eyes on Kirby just look kind of weird so that's the result.

Still kind of cool either way.

:bowser:.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804

The idle animation was perfectly timed, as if Ridley himself was thinking "I'm not sure what the strange yellow sphere's plan was."

Needless to say it felt very satisfying landing that fireball ever so perfectly.

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
That advanced Ridley guide by Lade? Man my Ridley has improved immensely! It's not even about learning specific combos and specific percents and all that mess. Just the constant use of a single fire ball while in motion and extra options while hanging on the ledge.

There is more of course but thats just what comes to mind initially.

Though there was this one Samus who basically had a Game Genie and a Game Shark running while playing me online and it wasn't pretty. In about 20 matches I managed to beat him/her twice but holy crap was it great practice. I just never seen a Samus move like that and didn't know how to react. I appreciated this person actually sticking around for so long. I thought for sure after beating me so bad the first 2 or 3 times he/she would have left.

I am on cloud 9 with Ridley.

AndreaAC

Funny how one of the most intimidating characters in Smash has a cuter Kirby transformation than one of the cutest characters in Smash.

View attachment 231148View attachment 231149
x3 Truer words couldn't have been spoken! xD I WISH that Ridley hat existed in real life, maybe it could be done with paper mache and whatnot...too bad I suck at doing crafts! xD Also, in one video a guy that ranked all Kirby hats said that "It looks like Ridley bit down on Kirby's head and won't let go." xD Which is a hilarious idea that I might draw one day!

Last edited:

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039

The idle animation was perfectly timed, as if Ridley himself was thinking "I'm not sure what the strange yellow sphere's plan was."

Needless to say it felt very satisfying landing that fireball ever so perfectly.
Oooof that looks awesome. I can only imagine what it might have felt like when you landed it. This does help in what placing I should have Ridley in to land the fireballs.

Nice stuff all around Ismar.

:ultridley:.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Oooof that looks awesome. I can only imagine what it might have felt like when you landed it. This does help in what placing I should have Ridley in to land the fireballs.
Thanks! That guide RomanceDawn mentioned definitely helps as a starting point. Things like nailing specific angles comes with messing around with the move as much as you can (spacing by jumping, doing it off of platforms, or even using rolling works to give you a better visual indicator of distance from the ledge).

I got a couple more snipes in this other clip, happened during the same session:

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
Goddamn.

That is nice. It feels so good seeing Ridleys kicking a**. I will then take your advice and check that material then.

:bowser:.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Thanks! That guide RomanceDawn mentioned definitely helps as a starting point. Things like nailing specific angles comes with messing around with the move as much as you can (spacing by jumping, doing it off of platforms, or even using rolling works to give you a better visual indicator of distance from the ledge).

I got a couple more snipes in this other clip, happened during the same session:

Ness: "I'd like to fight Rosalina instead, please!"

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Quick question: Why do some people say Ridley isn't competitively viable? I ask because I'm really good with him and I think he is one of the best heavyweights in the game at a competitive level.

View attachment 231145
Wait... Is that two Ridley players commenting on Joker Kirby? Lol! That's hilarious.

AndreaAC

Wait... Is that two Ridley players commenting on Joker Kirby? Lol! That's hilarious.
xD Glad you found it funny!

And, not exactly, they are the original Ridley and Other M Ridley (named Roidley), and I call them The Ridley Bros. (Though, they are just brothers in arms). xD It's kind of a long story.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
xD Glad you found it funny!

And, not exactly, they are the original Ridley and Other M Ridley (named Roidley), and I call them The Ridley Bros. (Though, they are just brothers in arms). xD It's kind of a long story.
"Swing your tails from side to side, come on! It's time to go do the Ridley!" That's awesome dude I love that... The Ridley Bros.

Last edited:

AndreaAC

RIDLEY BROS.png

xD Since I don't know if some might get confused why I switch between drawing Ridley and Roidley, and U.Ridley, it is because in my headcanon, my Ridley Bros. fuse for it (xD They don't have to do the fusion dance, mind you...but maybe one day they will!). Ridley is the lead, that is why he shows the usual brutality when fighting, plus he's the reason why they can generate darkness. Roidley just can be heard by Ridley himself inside his subconcious. When he argues with Roidley in this form without realizing it, the other fighters think he lost a screw. They share the same physical pain but only Ridley shows/keeps the injuries when unfused.

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Oh yeah, the main things the OverLade guide had taught me (since I was already well versed with B-versing and the like by the time I saw it) was the making use of jumping with single fireballs to outzone the opponent, the mindgame stuff like making the opponent think you're about to do a landing back air, but instead do a side B/short-hop space pirate rush... As well as learning more of the vertical height in which SPR can connect with the opponent, moving from platform to platform (on Battlefield) during plasma breath chargeup. What else...

Using single fireball for edgeguarding. There's the whole full charge plasma breath when you're a roll distance away from the ledge, but since single fireballs don't travel as far and follow kind of a different rule of traveling, you can use them when you're closer to the edge to catch opponents that are trying to recover sooner.

Also for edgeguarding, thought it was interesting seeing how you can hold down during vertical up B to swing past the ledge and poke those trying to airdodge over you, or just hitting those above you with vertical up B if you do the delayed version by pressing down.

From what Lade showed too, you'd be surprised at how low forward up B can actually grab a ledge for basic recovery, even though it normally looks like forward wing blitz has kind of a downward angle. Easy way to get back to stage against anyone that doesn't have a counter (in which case you airdodge to ledge instead for those who do).

Also kinda didn't realize how much range Ridley's ledge getup attack has until I saw the guide; one of the advantages of being a big boy I guess.

Now as far as combos for Ridley, fret not. Ones that work on certain opponents and/or pretty much everyone with DI away are still being labbed and discovered. Dash cancel boost grab has been a real game changer for making a 2nd grab pretty much true for any combos that involve a regrab.

Believe & have confidence in Ridley.

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker
View attachment 231342
xD Since I don't know if some might get confused why I switch between drawing Ridley and Roidley, and U.Ridley, it is because in my headcanon, my Ridley Bros. fuse for it (xD They don't have to the fusion dance, mind you...but maybe one day they will!). Ridley is the lead, that is why he shows the usual brutality when fighting, plus he's the reason why he can generate darkness. Roidley just can be heard by Ridley himself inside his subconcious. When he argues with Roidley in this form without realizing it, the other fighters think he lost a screw. They share the same physical pain but only Ridley shows/keeps the injuries when unfused.
Hi Andrea! It's great to see your art again. How have you been? I hope things are going well in your direction.

Edit: Just came across this lol

Last edited:

AndreaAC

Hi Andrea! It's great to see your art again. How have you been? I hope things are going well in your direction.

Edit: Just came across this lol
:3 Hello there, my dear friend! :D Glad that you enjoy it! ^u^ I have been doing pretty good! Thank you! :D I just made a Ko-fi page, so that's another step taken to start gaining something with my work, that took me quite a while to do. Plus taking some commissions! How about you? :3

xD OH MY GOSH, THAT GIF IS PRICELESS!

Last edited:

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker
:3 Hello there, my dear friend! :D Glad that you enjoy it! ^u^ I have been doing pretty good! Thank you! :D I just made a Ko-fi page, so that's another step taken to start gaining something with my work, that took me quite a while to do. Plus taking some commissions! How about you? :3

xD OH MY GOSH, THAT GIF IS PRICELESS!
I have been busy working. It never stops lol. The summer humidity is getting hotter up here. Though I wish I could take a vacation though I don't know when to use it :/. Otherwise, it's been pretty good. I am really ecstatic for Banjo & Kazooie to get here in the fall and I couldn't be any happier about that. Been trying to play more Smash and Ridley online. So far, I'm getting better with him though it will take a lot of patience to get up to Elite Smash. Plus, I'm happy that you're making good progress with your art and commissions my friend. : )

AndreaAC

I have been busy working. It never stops lol.
o.o Oh boy, I can only imagine!

The summer humidity is getting hotter up here. Though I wish I could take a vacation though I don't know when to use it :/. Otherwise, it's been pretty good.
>_> Tell me about it, currently where I am it's also infernally hot. Honestly, I don't know how there can be people that enjoy Summer when it is like this...I hope you can take that well deserved break, too!

it's been pretty good. I am really ecstatic for Banjo & Kazooie to get here in the fall and I couldn't be any happier about that.
:D On that note, congrats for getting your pick into the game! ^u^ I know that feeling!

Been trying to play more Smash and Ridley online. So far, I'm getting better with him though it will take a lot of patience to get up to Elite Smash.
o3o Oooh, nice! ^u^ Keep it up! As for me, I think I will have to put the idea of getting a Switch on hold, I need a new laptop so I can keep working without the worry of something happening to this one. :( I still wish I could play with you all, though, and also learn how to use Riddles.

The idea of the Switch Lite despite the price, doesn't convince me because I wouldn't be able to use a GC controller...

Plus, I'm happy that you're making good progress with your art and commissions my friend. : )
x3 Thank you, thank you! :D It was about time! I need to find ways to slowly but surely become independent, which is something I am really striving for! :o I know it won't be easy at the start, but hopefully, things will get better! :3 And I can keep doing what I love the most!

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
I still can't believe Metroid of all things has the fourth most characters on the roster out of every franchise in Smash.
Fourth?

1st Pokemon 10
2nd Mario 9
3rd Fire Emblem 7
4th Zelda 6
5th Metroid 4
6th Kirby, Donkey Kong, Star Fox, Kid Icarus 3
7th Earthbound, Animal Crossing, Street Fighter, Castlevania 2
8th The rest 1

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Fourth?

1st Pokemon 10
2nd Mario 9
3rd Fire Emblem 7
4th Zelda 6
5th Metroid 4
6th Kirby, Donkey Kong, Star Fox, Kid Icarus 3
7th Earthbound, Animal Crossing, Street Fighter, Castlevania 2
8th The rest 1
Miscounted.

Still, fifth is a pretty admirable rank, especially when you consider the limited number of options Metroid has in comparison to the ones beneath it. Just about every Metroid character who would make sense as a fighter is in Smash.

Garo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Garomasta
3DS FC
3308-4572-3157
Thoughts on the Rosalina matchup? Even though she feels pretty slippery for how tall she is, can nullify Plasma Breath and can juggle us for days, I like how fast we can get rid of Luma with a well placed Skewer or a Wing Blitz. The latter can of course leave us victim to a punish, but Rosalina's punish game isn't exactly the most terrifying, especially when the star bab is careening off the stage. I also found that full hop dair (which you can recover from) is a pretty effective way to stop her recovery. There's a risk involved of course, but the reward seemed well worth it considering how easy it was to hit.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Thoughts on the Rosalina matchup? Even though she feels pretty slippery for how tall she is, can nullify Plasma Breath and can juggle us for days, I like how fast we can get rid of Luma with a well placed Skewer or a Wing Blitz. The latter can of course leave us victim to a punish, but Rosalina's punish game isn't exactly the most terrifying, especially when the star bab is careening off the stage. I also found that full hop dair (which you can recover from) is a pretty effective way to stop her recovery. There's a risk involved of course, but the reward seemed well worth it considering how easy it was to hit.
Sounds like that's a question for me.

I'm gonna have to give this one to Rosa. Her ability to juggle a majority of the roster combined with how easy it is for her to gimp Ridley while he's trying to fly back to the stage gives her the upperhand. While it's true that Ridley can dispose Luma without much effort, Rosa's new nair allows her to be more aggressive on offense. It's really quick, and because of Ridley's massive size, not particularily hard to land. In most matches I've had against Ridley, Luma's absence didn't leave me all that vulnerable.

I wouldn't say it's one of his harder match-ups though. Even though I'd argue it favors Rosalina just a tad, the match-up isn't terribly one-sided.

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773

He said Ridley gets a lot out of and goes really far with it, and after practicing it a bit, can see why. I have the dash cancel boost grab down to a science more or less, but not the walk cancel part really, at least as far as combining them together in one fluid motion. Look forward to an eventual step by step tutorial for this if nothing else. Mixing dash dancing with the boost grab can work too as pointed out.

Also, the long awaited combo matchup document for Ridley (of the ones that work with DI away) is here! Bless CyberRower from the main Ridleycord for doing all this work. Could've posted this in one of the combo threads here I suppose, but who really looks at those anymore?

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1--zA_L0HV-y5DVKCCvr_hn4pHI9o5uSmUvR0elSDmTE/edit

Predatoria Predatoria Obligatory tag in case you're not still keeping up. Gonna start practicing these combos shortly, though there's a lot of them.

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
Hey noob question here, don't laugh! Or if you do make it a quick chuckle!

Tumble
What is it?/What does it look like?
What causes it or which moves cause it?

Penguinbowler

Smash Apprentice
Hey noob question here, don't laugh! Or if you do make it a quick chuckle!

Tumble
What is it?/What does it look like?
What causes it or which moves cause it?
You mean Skewer? Ridley's Down B? If you land the sweetspot (About one battlefield platform in length) you do 60 damage and puts a character in their tumble animation, but the end lags very long.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
You mean Skewer? Ridley's Down B? If you land the sweetspot (About one battlefield platform in length) you do 60 damage and puts a character in their tumble animation, but the end lags very long.
That's ''crumpling''. Tumble is the state you enter after suffering knockback, spinning while falling from the air. If you do not tech or do anything to cancel it in the air, you'll get knocked down when you hit the ground and become vulnerable.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Practicing posing with models.
Here's an AU where Ultimate Ridley was a boss.
brawley.png

Planning on doing Brawl Ridley in Ultimate's pose later.
1563566129411.png

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Having practiced a certain chunk of the combos from the posted document a good deal last night, this one on Palutena is easily one of my favorites, since Ridley's lucky to get anything on her at all. Sadly the only combo on her that's really true with DI and airdodging taken into account, but ~50%? That's pretty good. The high angle f-tilt at the end takes practice as far as timing though.

My other favorites unironically were these ones on Samus/Zero Suit.

And this one that works well on the zoners like Wolf.

The ones that involve another n-air followed by turnaround u-tilt and b-air I think take the most practice as far as timing, like that first Samus one. And mind you, there's still more labbing to be done with other combo variants to be discovered with the other kinds of DI.

A lot of the combos across the doc may look roughly the same, but they're character specific in getting the max damage possible on someone (different weights and body sizes considered, etc), even with the little stuff like a pummel or two during grab before d-throw. There's not really one universal combo for Ridley that hits everyone on the cast with DI away, which is why this was made to begin with. His punish potential feels stronger than ever for me now.

Last edited:

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
Having practiced a certain chunk of the combos from the posted document a good deal last night, this one on Palutena is easily one of my favorites, since Ridley's lucky to get anything on her at all. Sadly the only combo on her that's really true with DI and airdodging taken into account, but ~50%? That's pretty good. The high angle f-tilt at the end takes practice as far as timing though.

My other favorites unironically were these ones on Samus/Zero Suit.

And this one that works well on the zoners like Wolf.

The ones that involve another n-air followed by turnaround u-tilt and b-air I think take the most practice as far as timing, like that first Samus one. And mind you, there's still more labbing to be done with other combo variants to be discovered with the other kinds of DI.

A lot of the combos across the doc may look roughly the same, but they're character specific in getting the max damage possible on someone (different weights and body sizes considered, etc), even with the little stuff like a pummel or two during grab before d-throw. There's not really one universal combo for Ridley that hits everyone on the cast with DI away, which is why this was made to begin with. His punish potential feels stronger than ever for me now.
Wow incredible! Each of those characters gives me trouble so I'm going to do my best with each combo.

And thanks meleebrawler meleebrawler for the tumble explanation.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Wow incredible! Each of those characters gives me trouble so I'm going to do my best with each combo.

And thanks meleebrawler meleebrawler for the tumble explanation.
Right on. Those are great ones to start with, but definitely look at the document for more sometime. It covers true combos on all the characters in alphabetical order, giving us plenty to practice for awhile if nothing else, and thus helping with all the matchups, not just the hardest ones like what I posted.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1--zA_L0HV-y5DVKCCvr_hn4pHI9o5uSmUvR0elSDmTE/edit

Figures most of the highest % combos would be on the heavyweights because big bodies, with Ridley being no exception when it comes to ditto matches. Further cements how much a double edge sword Ridley vs Ridley can be, as who wins is mostly determined by who can keep up their advantage state the best/longest and who can adapt better in disadvantage state, but those Ridley combos being over 70% on another Ridley... Oh me oh my. Like how there's also a 70+% one on Snake, for that matter.

You said in an earlier post that you was on cloud 9 with Ridley... Tell me about it! This document and other guides have been a real game changer, to say the least.

Last edited:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
I'm done with my shenanigans for now.
brawley.png

ultimateley.png

I'm kind of hoping to mod Ultimate Ridley into the Brawl boss someday, no matter how horrendous it looks.

Last edited:

AndreaAC

I'm done with my shenanigans for now.

I'm kind of hoping to mod Ultimate Ridley into the Brawl boss someday, no matter how horrendous it looks.
XD I love how both look. Though, this just reminded me how BIG Brawl Ridley's head looks, along with his bending straw neck. Is it just me or Brawl Ridley's lower jaw is equally short as Ultimate Meta Ridley? Or am I seeing things?

Top Bottom