• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Lower Norfair

Ultomato

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW 1995 0060 1138
Just so we're clear, everything that isn't arenas is Quickplay. There you can either search with or without preferences to ruleset. Getting wildly different conditions at this point (Ultimate at launch apparently really was bad at matching preferences but it works well enough now) means either a) you forgot to save or activate those preferences, or b) your ruleset is just really unpopular and difficult to find. This seems to be the case for those seeking doubles, probably because nobody takes team attack off seriously. But then, you can just use arenas to host more niche rulesets.

These complaints about Quickplay are going nowhere because they're largely based on what each individual thinks online play should be like, which varies wildly, and they tend to ignore arenas too. That has more legitimate grievances with randoms, but they can be fixed. But most people don't seem to care and just want their favourite modes spoon-fed to them. They'll spend all day arguing the semantics of GSP and apparent mismatches there without ever considering how the actual match played, never consider that being stuck in lower GSPs is due to them lacking skill (blaming bad rulesets only goes so far now), and connection errors that give them warnings/bans are never their fault. No evidence either.
People claim that the "Background Matchmaking" function gets your preferred rules more often. Which is bull**** imo

Predatoria

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5219-6817-7975
It does. I've seen it happen. A friend of mine was playing right in the same room I was in. He kept getting matched into FFAs or matches with items almost every single time. I told him to switch from quickplay to ranked matchmaking, and immediately he started getting his desired ruleset almost every single time.

This has also been the story with other friends of mine who I told to start using ranked matchmaking instead of the quickplay option.

It does work.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
It does. I've seen it happen. A friend of mine was playing right in the same room I was in. He kept getting matched into FFAs or matches with items almost every single time. I told him to switch from quickplay to ranked matchmaking, and immediately he started getting his desired ruleset almost every single time.

This has also been the story with other friends of mine who I told to start using ranked matchmaking instead of the quickplay option.

It does work.
I don't know if you're talking about background matchmaking when you say "ranked", but either way with people claiming wildly different mileages, things are unlikely to truly change with no true consensus. In time the competitive players will turn to using private arenas for their online practice needs, leaving quickplay to those who, y'know, just want to play quick matches and are a little flexible with what they get. But right now people are generally still too lazy to use arenas to their fullest, wanting Nintendo to just fix Quickplay to cater to their needs specifically so that they don't have to lift a finger to do it themselves with arenas. All the latter needs is some quality-of-life changes to prevent randoms from having bad behaviour and make it more user-friendly.

With the incredibly diverse options for gameplay Smash offers compared to other fighters, it means that communication is vital to find people who are fully on board with how you want to play, and that if even one option works for you, then it has done it's job. As long as arenas make it possible to play exactly how you want, it shouldn't matter if quickplay doesn't accomplish that for you.

Last edited:

Predatoria

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5219-6817-7975
I finally got to Elite Smash tonight! 4.141M GSP. When I started playing a while back, I used to main Link but before Ultimate I’d never really paid much mind to smash and only played on occasion at family gettogethers because my brother and cousins liked playing. I mostly just ran away and spammed arrows and smash attacks, and didn’t even know what a tilt attack was.

Over the past couple months I’ve been trying to learn how to play smash at a higher level and Ridley has been the character I’ve grown attached to in Ultimate. First I had to learn how to use tilts and get comfortable with short hop aerials and all that, and then I tried to improve other aspects of play like learning to grab more, learning to combo and chain attacks, and I’ve been trying to throw spot dodges and RARs into my game lately. Slowly but surely my GSP has been improving from my start of somewhere near 1M, and for my last few sessions it hovered around 4M until tonight I finally hit it.

I did, however, enter Elite Smash and wow I got stomped hard. 0 and 5 and my ass is out. I got a lot to learn, but am very happy I managed to finally hit this goal and want to train up, enter again, and start winning in there eventually.

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
I don't know if you're talking about background matchmaking when you say "ranked", but either way with people claiming wildly different mileages, things are unlikely to truly change with no true consensus. In time the competitive players will turn to using private arenas for their online practice needs, leaving quickplay to those who, y'know, just want to play quick matches and are a little flexible with what they get. But right now people are generally still too lazy to use arenas to their fullest, wanting Nintendo to just fix Quickplay to cater to their needs specifically so that they don't have to lift a finger to do it themselves with arenas. All the latter needs is some quality-of-life changes to prevent randoms from having bad behaviour and make it more user-friendly.

With the incredibly diverse options for gameplay Smash offers compared to other fighters, it means that communication is vital to find people who are fully on board with how you want to play, and that if even one option works for you, then it has done it's job. As long as arenas make it possible to play exactly how you want, it shouldn't matter if quickplay doesn't accomplish that for you.
I admit my skill level is what needs improving and don't blame gsp though I have frustrations on how much you lose when you lose to when you win, I just think it needs to be twiked maybe have the ability to request unranked rematches so you can practice fighting a tough opponet without tanking your gsp to the ground.

I imagine lazyness is not the reason ppl choose quickplay over arena, as frustrating a gsp is it still has a goal to reach and a sense of progressing were arena does not.

Also no I play with preferred rules but the few times I get those weird rules is annoying as hell esp when it tanks your ranking lol

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I admit my skill level is what needs improving and don't blame gsp though I have frustrations on how much you lose when you lose to when you win, I just think it needs to be twiked maybe have the ability to request unranked rematches so you can practice fighting a tough opponet without tanking your gsp to the ground.

I imagine lazyness is not the reason ppl choose quickplay over arena, as frustrating a gsp is it still has a goal to reach and a sense of progressing were arena does not.

Also no I play with preferred rules but the few times I get those weird rules is annoying as hell esp when it tanks your ranking lol
Still doesn't explain why people don't even try arenas when enraged by quickplay (particularly when they respond by yearning for the "good old days" of Smash 4 unranked play), or to get practice without risking GSP.

GSP is a bell curve: the closer you get to the middle the greater the gains and losses appear, but in truth the rate is fairly constant.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
With patch 3.0 coming soon I hope they buff Ridley's weight. I feel like this is the most glaring problem for someone with a large hitbox like him.

Predatoria

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5219-6817-7975
With patch 3.0 coming soon I hope they buff Ridley's weight. I feel like this is the most glaring problem for someone with a large hitbox like him.
Yeah I've been thinking that'd be a really nice little buff as well tbh. Putting him at Ganondorf's weight would be incredible.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I’d like him to have the current Charizard’s dashing speed instead of SSB4 Zard’s (starting off slower before you move faster during the dash). Something like that would probably take less effort to buff him with in an update, but I’ll take whatever.

Ultomato

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW 1995 0060 1138
I’d like him to have the current Charizard’s dashing speed instead of SSB4 Zard’s (starting off slower before you move faster during the dash). Something like that would probably take less effort to buff him with in an update, but I’ll take whatever.
So higher acceleration is what you're saying.

I guess that would be objectively better, but I actually psych out my friend with that momentum shift you get out of it.
(But maybe my Friend is Just stupid)

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Really? I’m fine with the smash attacks. Forward and down smash are punishing moves (in addition to d-smash’s other utilities), and up smash is one of his fastest out of shield options.

soviet prince

Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
I play the dragonball tcg and was trying to make a ridley/frieza mat but can not seem to make anything that looks good and was wondering if any of the artistic inclined members could make something for me.

here some images I like,

Attachments

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I just realized something funny about Ridley's amiibo.

It's the only one so far that uses the bigger, original packaging.

I don't know if any of the future characters will require one, but it'll be hilarious if Ridley is the only one like that. It's like an unintended joke or something.

Predatoria

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5219-6817-7975
Don't forget that sometimes he's part Steel.

These days I'd go with Dragon/Dark since he's not as fly-happy in combat as he used to be.
I thought about Steel, but figured that may be a good one for his "mega evolution," Meta Ridley. Dark certainly is, by far, the best description of his personality.

Dark Dragon would also explain my fear of Jigglypuff. That 4x super effective bonus is not good!

Last edited:

IronTed

Smash Ace
Dragon/Dark makes sense, considering that Dark is meant to be the equivalent of "evil". It comes down to whether you consider his evil nature or his aerial capabilities more central to his character. You could also pull a Hydreigon and give him levitate, which could cover the flying part.

Meta/Proteus Ridley is dragon/steel.

Omega Ridley is Steel/Poison.

Neo Ridley is Dragon/Poison.

Last edited:

Zem-raj

Smash Hero
Nintendo in Japan is promoting an Omega Ridley spirit event for the Spirit Board.

Nintendo of America and Nintendo of Europe have yet to say anything about it.

(For clarification, it's part of the "Kings and Queens of the Sky" event)

Last edited:

Laniv

Smash Lord
You guys liked Into the Spider-Verse, right?
finished smashverse comic.png

Also it's my first time drawing Ridley and I like how he came out here

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Another thing I wish I knew/learned earlier, how easier it is to do a downward angle f-tilt (for edgeguarding) by crouching first while going into a forward tilt, instead of hoping you do it right with aiming the C-stick like I was before.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Reggieboards is alright, but Ridleyboards, that's where it was really at.

Predatoria

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5219-6817-7975
Patch 3.0 comes out this month. They'll probably have balance changes. Do you all think Ridley will receive buffs or nerfs in the patch? If so, what do you think would most likely be changed about him, or what would you like to see changed about him?

I'll post a few things I would like to see here that are within reason of what would likely constitute the realm of reality:

I'm personally hoping his wing blitz gets a bit more protection. I've occasionally been getting knocked out of it during the moving phase of the move during stage recoveries, which I didn't even think was possible.

I'm also hoping he gets a weight buff. For such a big baddie, he does feel deceptively light. Ganondorf weight would be where I'd personally like to see him put.

I'm hoping he'll be able to take action and exit a dair a few frames sooner, such that you can short hop dair offstage and survive, rather than requiring a full hop into a dair.

Now I'll post a few things I'd be super hyped to see, but think they're absolutely not gonna happen:

Bring back the gliding mechanic from previous SSBs and give this to Ridley.

Give Ridley a third air jump, such that he can jump as many times as King Dedede.

Make a Space Pirate Rush landed and released in the air restore your jumps after you let go.

soviet prince

Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
went to a tourney got 13 out of 45, was felling good until since then went from 3mill back to 1 million leave it to online to remind you that you still suck.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Way to completely miss the point of what everyone was telling you before, that your worth as a player isn’t based on a number.

slamallama

Smash Journeyman
went to a tourney got 13 out of 45, was felling good until since then went from 3mill back to 1 million leave it to online to remind you that you still suck.
Dude, like everyone's been saying, GSP is so arbitrary. I main Chrom and Dark Samus and both of them are sitting around 1 mil for me, then I go and play as Richter for the first time and he shoots up to 3 mil. No way I'm better than 3 million Richter players on my first try, and no way you're worse than 3 million (or however much more it is for Elite) Ridley players after playing him this whole time.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
One of the best ways to judge how good you are with a character is to keep track of your win/lose ratio with said character. Someone who can land in the 70% range or higher with Ridley after 100 or more battles is likely a decent player. That, or they got lucky and played some pretty lazy opponents.

Now this doesn't always represent true skill, especially if you're playing as a lower tier character and are consistently losing due to bad match-ups, but it works well enough for online mode.

Krimnorr

Smash Cadet
The way I see it is that online and offline have different skillsets. Online promotes campy play/weird tactics, both of which are less effective offline. You may be a really good player when playing offline, but then get beaten by a PK fire Ness due to the latency.

So just don't pay attention to GSP is my advice. It doesn't truly represent skill, as there are many who just cheese their way into elite smash anyway.

Predatoria

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5219-6817-7975
You could try doing what I'm doing, that is if you like stats and data.

When I play, I record every single match I do. I record my current GSP (to the nearest hundred thousand), the fighter I fought, whether or not I won, and whether or not I elected to rematch, and, finally, whether or not they rematched.

I've turned a "GSP grind" into a data collection project, where every time I play I get to add to my dataset. Even if I have a bad night, I still got more data, and got closer to my goal of formulating my own personal matchup chart.

Here's a summary table of the stats I've collected so far on various matchups, and some fighters I've fought enough times to where it's starting to become, potentially, statistically significant:

I do very well vs Ike. I do ok vs Ganondorf, actually, worse than I'd expect. I do well vs Incineroar. Krool and Simon give me more trouble than I expected. And as I collect more matches, itll only make these cases more solid.

Stats.PNG

What I've managed to do is turn the stagnant-feeling GSP grind into something where I feel like I make progress every time I play, even if I go down in GSP. At least, for me, this has made playing online a lot less frustrating because I focus on collecting my data and expanding and improving upon my sample size, rather than focus on my GSP and whether or not I'm winning. For example, my mentality has shifted from "Ugh, another annoying Simon. Time to get spammed by axes and lose" to "Hmm, another Simon. Well, this is further solidifying in my data that this is probably a bad matchup for Ridley, or, atleast, a bad matchup for my Ridley."

Any interest in doing something like this, soviet? I could help show you how to set up the spreadsheet.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Or do what I do and only play Co-op with a friend.

GSP isn't even a thing there and you get to troll around with a buddy!
It really doesn't matter what they try to do to improve online and please the complainers, having a friend or at least someone you can plan/schedule with is the only way to have the experience you want at all times. Because even in the most ideal of worlds where a poll is run to select which rulesets to use with the three main modes in Quickplay, there's always some people that are going to be left out in the cold or find reasons to nitpick due to all the options Smash can let you have. Doubles, for instance, will never be taken seriously without friendly fire, but enabling that comes with a large can of worms. Better off just letting players decide in arenas if someone is griefing or just clumsy.

Top Bottom