• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Lower Norfair

Predatoria

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5219-6817-7975
It can depend a lot on who you're up against, and what map you're playing on.

On certain maps such as ones that have one central, low-lying platform (Metaknight's ship or the Yoshi map, for example) it can be much more difficult to approach your opponent from above their projectile spamming due to platform cover. A lot of tri-platform maps, however, I find to be a very welcome scene to deal with projectiles in general, because it gives you more options to get around it. In particular, with either tri-platform maps or 2-platform maps (Pokemon Stadium), hopping on a platform and using plasma breath can be an excellent answer to a camping Young Link / Samus / whoever you're up against that's just trying to zone you out.

In general, regardless of map, plasma breath, as Gleam said earlier, is an extremely powerful move for dealing with most projectiles. The majority of projectiles will be destroyed by plasma breath. If, however, they've already set up and are actively launching projectiles at you, it will be hard to pull plasma breath off without being hit. Approaching from above with neutral air (or forward, depending on circumstance) can be an excellent opener as well. Be careful. If they get smart and start shielding your aerial approach, they'll likely start grabbing you a lot. This is actually something I'm struggling with right now. A friend of mine is maining wolf and he's been getting me good by forcing an aerial approach on my end, shielding my aerial, and grabbing me. Anyone have any advice on getting around this?

Vs certain characters, in particular, the links or krool, I find it useful in some scenarios to charge your plasma breath while falling so you can land and instantly release the plasma breath, overwhelming their projectiles and hitting them in the process. You then want to follow up by approaching and get to them.

It can't just be all about plasma breath, however. Some players will only zone you when it's advantageous to them, and will immediately change playstyles when you open yourself up. Watch for this and if they swap and start trying to punish you for plasma'ing them, be prepared to not charge a full stream of it. This circumstance, either way, has accomplished your goal of flushing them out of their bunker, as now they're approaching you and you can go for more conventional play.

If Lucas or Ness are the ones being a problem, never, ever stand in the sweet spot to get hit by PK Fire when they're actively ready to use it. PK Freeze is pretty easy to avoid in most circumstances just by air dodging, and it's usually pretty easy to punish them while they're doing it. If an air dodge will kill you because you're already in a disadvantaged state and PK Freeze is headed your way, they played well and killed ya. Well played to them. Try to be cautious about the danger spots off-stage where a well-placed PK Freeze will lead to your death.

Last edited:

Hippopotasauce

Smash Lord
NNID
Hippopotasauce
Speaking of stages, what stages do you guys see as most advantageous for Ridley? In Elite Smash I find battlefield wayyyy more tolerable than final destination, but since I don't get the chance to play offline a lot I never get to find out how Ridley fairs on other stages.

Ultomato

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW 1995 0060 1138
Speaking of stages, what stages do you guys see as most advantageous for Ridley? In Elite Smash I find battlefield wayyyy more tolerable than final destination, but since I don't get the chance to play offline a lot I never get to find out how Ridley fairs on other stages.
Ridley is really big so you want platforms to easily avoid fast projectiles.
I find Kalos League really nice with Ridley as you can camp on the platform really well. I also like Smashville and Yoshi's Island as large platforms let you space-pirate-rush without too much risk

Predatoria

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5219-6817-7975
It depends on who I'm fighting, personally. With anyone that can beat me in a zoning contest (Samus, Link variants, and other characters with several and/or high priority projectile options) I prefer maps with platforms such as Battlefield or Pokemon Stadium just because it gives me more options to avoid them and get to them.

On characters that I can easily zone with plasma that do not have good options to stop it (such as Pirhana plant or Ganondorf), I prefer open maps like Final Destination because the opposite scenario evolves here. A lack of approach options turns to my favor when I'm the one zoning. Pirhana plant, in particular, seems to really struggle with plasma and has very little they seem to be able to do if you continuously back off and fire away.

Some maps with too many platforms or one closely spaced can feel very congested as Ridley, though. When we play non-omega stages, some of them are super crowded and it can make flying around very difficult.

Last edited:

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
wow 2 entire days and no post your losing it guys and gals are lord and savior ridley will be disappointed and you know what happens when he is disappointed

Last edited:

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Yeah, Dixie Kong, Captain Toad (or just any Toad), and Bandana Dee are the only iconic 1st party Nintendo characters left to add (Dixie in particularly I really wanted after K. Rool), but none of them I'm attached to enough for me to get emotionally invested in another future game's speculah period, so it's still liberating to feel free of that with our boys finally added. Anticipating a direct or E3 or something without having to wonder if Ridley will get shown is still taking some getting used to admittedly, but I definitely wouldn't go back to those days. Can understand being nostalgic for it, but everyone whose gotten a long awaited character or pretty much every character they really wanted tends to go through this phase at first which is natural.
I agree those three are the only three major actors to major veteran Nintendo franchises not yet on the roster. I also feel the same regarding Dixie Kong (probably the last major Nintendo character I really like that is not part of the roster). However, as is the case with you, I do not feel like investing my time and effort for another Smash Bros. title's speculation period just for those characters.

It really feels like the end of an era with both Ridley and K. Rool no longer casting their big (pun intended) shadows over the speculation scene. I feel Ultimate basically wraps up the pre-Smash 4 period of speculation.

Ridley's inclusion was a miracle. There was nothing to feel hopeful about after Smash 4's release and Sakurai finally giving his two cents in on Ridley (that he felt Ridley was too big to be made playable). I am really thankful that Sakurai and his team kept an open mind on altering Ridley's design and to all of the Ridley fans who voted for him through the Smash Ballot. We were very lucky, especially considering how soon Ultimate's development was after Sakurai made those statements and how few fully unique newcomers were made for the base roster

Still, I think Ridley's inclusion happened at maybe the latest it possibly could have, his support was always driven by the belief that the character could be in, so I'm really not sure the Ridley community would have kept going to the same extend past Ultimate, it probably would have been a lot more subdued for Ultimate too if not for the early leaks. In that sense Ridley speculation was a product of its time, it would never have kept going forever, and going forward I think the community would have struggled a lot getting new fans into it, as it's not exactly an attractive proposal to join a hopeless movement, as well as Metroid not having much of an impact on younger generations (which are bit by bit becoming more and more influential in the community). One way or another Ridley support as we knew it would have ended, and I don't think him getting into Ultimate ended it that much sooner than it'd otherwise have been, the alternative was it happening when the veteran supporters would one by one move on to more important things in life.

Still, I think it's possible to miss it while also accepting the reality that it wasn't sustainable forever, it's the best online community experience I've ever been a part of, so of course I will eventually miss it. Luckily I don't have to look far to live part of the experience again, as I can just pick up and play Ridley to be reminded of the fruits of our labor.
I absolutely agree with this. Ultimate was absolutely the last time for Ridley to have a major presence in the speculation scene. This title being released so soon after Smash 4's release is part of the reason why Ridley was even still a major player going into Ultimate. There have plenty of examples of fanbases that have lost most of their support after it seemed like the character's chances of getting in were no longer plausible or realistic. Ridley is a character that has had a major fanbase for inclusion going all the way back to pre-Melee, starting in 2001. Ridley had been a major part of the character support scene for 17 years. That is absolutely incredible.

As I said before, everything must eventually come to an end. Ridley being confirmed for Ultimate was a miraculous turnaround when looking at what happened with Smash 4's conclusion (with Ridley being deemed too big to be made playable by Sakurai himself). In 1999, I started dreaming of Ridley in Smash Bros., and it was only nearly 20 years later when it finally did happen, and in an installment that was about celebrating the history of the series as a whole no less.

Even if 'Everyone is Here' is not sustainable in the future, Ridley's one of the characters I'd be least worried about being on the chopping block. For the most part he's always had a presence in Smash for the longest time that we requested him, and Sakurai knows that cutting him and making him a boss or something again would bring him some loudly unpleasant noise like I guess he got with the general reception to Hazardly.

"Fans overseas wouldn't shut up about him so we put him in."

Why would he want to deal with that noise again?
I do not think Ridley fans should get complacent at all. Ridley's inclusion on the roster was very hard fought.

I have no idea what the cuts would look like in a future Smash Bros. title. They could be cuts similar to what Brawl and Smash 4 had, or they could be much, much heavier than those games to the point where it looks more like a "reboot". Regardless, Ridley fans should continue to show and voice their support to the character, even though he seems safe to return.

I just hope if for whatever reason Metroid is reduced to two reps, Ridley is given priority over Zero Suit
Personally, if Metroid was only down to two characters, it should be Samus and Ridley, despite Zero Suit Samus being a veteran of the series since the third game. Zero Suit Samus made her debut to Smash Bros. in the public's eye all the way back in 2006, but her inclusion was basically to:
1. Give Metroid some sort of new playable character since it had a bunch of new releases since Melee.
2. To further expand the list of playable female characters (Zero Suit Samus ended up being the only female newcomer for Brawl).

With a lot of female characters added to the roster since then, and Sakurai and his team finally figuring out how to make Ridley into a playable character, I would say Zero Suit Samus's reasons for why she was originally added are now obsolete. She still offers an unique moveset onto the roster, and I personally do not like cuts in general. However, if Sakurai is forced to make major cuts for the next title, I think Ridley is a character that should outpriortize Zero Suit Samus.

If Samus as a woman is to be still represented on the roster in such an event, they should give Samus a helmetless alt, or a set of helmetless alts. There was even a super hidden trophy of helmetless Samus in Melee, called Samus Unmasked. The trophy was only accessible through hacking (or hacking device such as Action Replay) and through a limited event in Japan.

why cut the echoes when there very easy to add?
I am curious how the echoes would fare in a scenario where many long time veterans would be cut. Many them have barely any differences from their original (aside from animation work), and thus likely have a much lighter work load to implement them. Dark Samus in particular does not even need a voice actor (which might have been among the reasons she ended up getting selected to be among the few echoes added to Ultimate). A possibility might be that Dark Samus actually ends up returning over Zero Suit Samus in a title with a lot of cuts simply because Dark Samus would take far less time and resources to bring back. Personally, I see Dark Samus as more critical to Metroid series representation than Zero Suit Samus, despite the latter having a fully unique moveset. However, that is just my personal opinion.

A thought occurs that with Mario Maker 2 on the horizon, so does the possibility of a playable Ridley in another game.
It would be pretty amusing to play as Ridley in a Super Mario Bros. level, so hopefully it does happen. I am curious to see what they do with him if he does get included (as to what his sprite is and what sound effects they use).

I see Reggie’s gonna retire in April... He will be missed, who did Ridley fans proud with the shirt and everything, among the other things he’s done for the Nintendo community over the years.
I remember when Reggie first made a splash on the Nintendo fanbase back in 2004 (during E3 2004). This quote in particular:
“My name is Reggie. I’m about kicking ***. I’m about taking names. And we’re about making games.”

It is a bit strange to think how much time has passed since then and just how much has changed not just with gaming as a whole, but everything else as well.

I can never forget all of the countless Reggie memes throughout the last 14 years. "My body is ready" is a particularly memorable one since it was always used when anticipating a Nintendo Direct or E3.

wow 2 entire days and no post your losing it guys and gals are lord and savior ridley will be disappointed and you know what happens when he is disappointed
Unfortunately, much of the general/social topics for characters already on the roster have barely any activity in them. I do not remember this being the case with Smash 4. Maybe dedicated forums are slowly dying? Regardless. I think the Ridley one actually has more activity going on in it than most of them (with the only other social thread that seems to have as much activity as Ridley's being K. Rool's).

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I absolutely agree with this. Ultimate was absolutely the last time for Ridley to have a major presence in the speculation scene. This title being released so soon after Smash 4's release is part of the reason why Ridley was even still a major player going into Ultimate. There have plenty of examples of fanbases that have lost most of their support after it seemed like the character's chances of getting in were no longer plausible or realistic. Ridley is a character that has had a major fanbase for inclusion going all the way back to pre-Melee, starting in 2001. Ridley had been a major part of the character support scene for 17 years. That is absolutely incredible.
Just thankful that the "Ridley's finished, he would be a waste of a vote" sort of consensus during the ballot wasn't as prevalent or widespread as I thought and that he still apparently got decent support in spite of some being done with him after Sakurai's explanation on why he wasn't playable and gave their votes to some other characters. It was always speculation as to how well said character did on the ballot beforehand, but after having to deal with nearly everyone telling me Ridley didn't do that well in votes (if at all) because his popularity significantly dropped after Sakurai denounced him as a workable character or whatever the reason, hearing that he did pretty well in the ballot after all is incredibly gratifying, to say the least.

I do not think Ridley fans should get complacent at all. Ridley's inclusion on the roster was very hard fought.

I have no idea what the cuts would look like in a future Smash Bros. title. They could be cuts similar to what Brawl and Smash 4 had, or they could be much, much heavier than those games to the point where it looks more like a "reboot". Regardless, Ridley fans should continue to show and voice their support to the character, even though he seems safe to return.
Wasn't really encouraging complacency, so much as I was just saying not to fear. Keep character activism going, sure, but I see little reason if any to just assume the worst for him in the future of Smash, even if their are some cuts. Appearances in future Metroid titles and continued support for Ridley will kinda go hand-in-hand too. Samus Returns more or less cemented his staying power with how marketable he's become.

If Samus as a woman is to be still represented on the roster in such an event, they should give Samus a helmetless alt, or a set of helmetless alts. There was even a super hidden trophy of helmetless Samus in Melee, called Samus Unmasked. The trophy was only accessible through hacking (or hacking device such as Action Replay) and through a limited event in Japan.
Helmetless Samus would be a cool alt I suppose, yeah. Would especially like to see it with the Fusion Suit.

I remember when Reggie first made a splash on the Nintendo fanbase back in 2004 (during E3 2004). This quote in particular:
“My name is Reggie. I’m about kicking ***. I’m about taking names. And we’re about making games.”

It is a bit strange to think how much time has passed since then and just how much has changed not just with gaming as a whole, but everything else as well.

I can never forget all of the countless Reggie memes throughout the last 14 years. "My body is ready" is a particularly memorable one since it was always used when anticipating a Nintendo Direct or E3.
We got the Nintendo Nsider forums during that time as well because of Reggie in part if I remember right, and while it was short-lived in the long run, I do miss it; many like myself migrated here for Smash speculation/character support once it closed.

Unfortunately, much of the general/social topics for characters already on the roster have barely any activity in them. I do not remember this being the case with Smash 4. Maybe dedicated forums are slowly dying? Regardless. I think the Ridley one actually has more activity going on in it than most of them (with the only other social thread that seems to have as much activity as Ridley's being K. Rool's).
Forums are a dying breed thanks to other social media, yeah, though newcomers generally have more active social threads/sub-forums than that of most veteran characters.

soviet prince

Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
I don't see why these type of boards are less popular these days. message boards are so more organized then social media, the topics on the smash facebook page are scattered.

also to think of how many votes ridley would have got if he did not get supposedly ruled out in smash 4.

Predatoria

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5219-6817-7975
I took this screenshot yesterday from a match I had against a Krool, and I just love it. I love the smug, oblivious smirk on Krool's face as he uses his incredible recovery powers to come back from the abyss beneath the stage, and the cold, evil glare of Ridley as he prepares to kick him in the face. Little did Krool know his propeller pack recovery was not guaranteed safety on Ridley's watch!

In all seriousness, back air kicking Krool's (or other people's) recoveries up against the underside of the stage has to be one of my all-time favorite ways to score a kill as Ridley.

Do any of y'all have screenshots to share?

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
I know there would probably be some issues with setting up bones, but if there were to be serious cuts like you said, I'd love to see a Justin Bailey/Zero Suit alt for Samus.

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
I know there would probably be some issues with setting up bones, but if there were to be serious cuts like you said, I'd love to see a Justin Bailey/Zero Suit alt for Samus.
I love the alien with the heart above it. I assume that has to be some kind of pixel fanart?

"Colonel, I'm trying to sneak around Zebes, but I'm dummy thicc, and the clap from my butt cheeks keeps alerting the aliens."

Great Potato

Smash Cadet
I love the alien with the heart above it. I assume that has to be some kind of pixel fanart?

"Colonel, I'm trying to sneak around Zebes, but I'm dummy thicc, and the clap from my butt cheeks keeps alerting the aliens."
I read that in Solid Snake's voice, it's hard not to when you start a sentence with "Colonel, I'm trying to sneak", and this scenario would explain the butt reduction he got between games.

soviet prince

Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
1. anyone else have there character perform a neutral b when you pushed up b, also my ridley will sometimes shoot the balls in the opposite direction he is facing why?

2. does it sound like the crowd is cheering blah blah blah for cloud or am i crazy lol

Predatoria

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5219-6817-7975
1. anyone else have there character perform a neutral b when you pushed up b, also my ridley will sometimes shoot the balls in the opposite direction he is facing why?

2. does it sound like the crowd is cheering blah blah blah for cloud or am i crazy lol
I do too. I haven't really given it much thought but sometimes I do flip the other direction before charging fire. It does feel a tad embarassing sometimes.

I'm wondering if Ridley has a b reverse on his plasma breath that I'm accidentally doing on occasion.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I do too. I haven't really given it much thought but sometimes I do flip the other direction before charging fire. It does feel a tad embarassing sometimes.

I'm wondering if Ridley has a b reverse on his plasma breath that I'm accidentally doing on occasion.
Every special can be reversed if you jam the control stick in the other direction very quickly after inputting it (assuming you weren't facing the other way already without realizing it). It's just easier to do with neutral specials.

Predatoria

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5219-6817-7975
Every special can be reversed if you jam the control stick in the other direction very quickly after inputting it (assuming you weren't facing the other way already without realizing it). It's just easier to do with neutral specials.
I didn't know that! Now that you mention it, all the occasions in which I remember this occurring would match this explanation.

It tends to happen when I'm attempting to charge plasma while in the air, holding my stick the opposite way I intend for it to go. Upon returning the stick to the other direction after pressing B, this is definitely what's doing it.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I didn't know that! Now that you mention it, all the occasions in which I remember this occurring would match this explanation.

It tends to happen when I'm attempting to charge plasma while in the air, holding my stick the opposite way I intend for it to go. Upon returning the stick to the other direction after pressing B, this is definitely what's doing it.
Yeah, lots of characters can use this "b-reversing" to shift their momentum in the air. Usually ones with (charged) projectile neutral bs, like Snake, (Dark) Samus, Mario, Pikachu...

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
There's more than a few guides for it, but buffering other inputs may also determine whether you wavebounce/b-reverse. It's confusing at first but I was able to get it consistently after watching some videos on it/practicing enough that it was second nature.

Other than that, it might be controller drift if your inputs are coming out neutral instead of angled. That or you may be doing some inputs accidentally/without realizing it.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
At first I thought maybe it was just me getting old or something, but I tried out those exact video guides when looking up wavebouncing sometime earlier and didn't quite get it all the first time, although was able to do the simpler versions of B-reversing at the beginning but felt a little out of my depth as they went on. Switched to ZSS also to try and imitate what the guides were doing but didn't get better results. Perhaps I was doing some wrong directional inputs without realizing... Will try again sometime soon.

Only recently fully grasped the concept of pivot grabbing (though didn't pay as much attention to that before admittedly), so hopefully it's just me being slow to catch on to certain techs rather than me not being able to do like wavebouncing.

One guide even suggested that if all else fails, switch your right/C-stick controls to special moves, but I'd much rather use C-stick for tilt or maybe smash attacks depending on the character.

soviet prince

Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
hours of playing ridley watching ridley videos and still 80 percent of people who play ridley better then me, it's really hard to enjoy the game when your just constantly reminded no matter how long you try your still going to not be as good as casuals who just pick up the game. I honestly don't mind losing but losing over and over and over chasing that hotdog while running on a treadmill never getting anywere.

side notes

- lucas pk freeze is bs nothing should kill that easy for that little effort.

- why can you not cancel an attack in this game? I mean in a real battle if your opponet doges your attack you still don't have to complete the pointless attack to attack somewhere else,

- was it this hard to go threw a platform in smash 4? I don't remember it being so difficult

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
hours of playing ridley watching ridley videos and still 80 percent of people who play ridley better then me, it's really hard to enjoy the game when your just constantly reminded no matter how long you try your still going to not be as good as casuals who just pick up the game. I honestly don't mind losing but losing over and over and over chasing that hotdog while running on a treadmill never getting anywere.

side notes

- why can you not cancel an attack in this game? I mean in a real battle if your opponet doges your attack you still don't have to complete the pointless attack to attack somewhere else,

- was it this hard to go threw a platform in smash 4? I don't remember it being so difficult
Try canceling a punch in real life after throwing it and let me know how that works.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Because then there'd be zero risk involved in using using powerful attacks that have longer startups?
I'd argue that's not entirely true as there are other fighting games which let you cancel moves but mechanics that allow that kind of thing aren't stuff in Smash nor does it really seem to fit. Ryu and Ken can cancel their normals into special moves though like Street Fighter but I believe you need to land a hit to do that either way unlike say, Roman Cancels from Guilty Gear though in Guilty Gear it costs meter, which again, Smash doesn't have

slamallama

Smash Journeyman
I'd argue that's not entirely true as there are other fighting games which let you cancel moves but mechanics that allow that kind of thing aren't stuff in Smash nor does it really seem to fit. Ryu and Ken can cancel their normals into special moves though like Street Fighter but I believe you need to land a hit to do that either way unlike say, Roman Cancels from Guilty Gear though in Guilty Gear it costs meter, which again, Smash doesn't have
But Street Fighter as a fighting game has very different mechanics. It boils down to the fact that this just isn't how Smash works, and it never has been except through broken mechanics (with the exceptions of Ryu and Ken, because they're from Street Fighter)

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
But Street Fighter as a fighting game has very different mechanics. It boils down to the fact that this just isn't how Smash works, and it never has been except through broken mechanics (with the exceptions of Ryu and Ken, because they're from Street Fighter)
I'm aware but my point is that Smash just isn't the kind of game for that, Ken and Ryu being able to do it is an exception

Predatoria

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5219-6817-7975

side notes

Consider this scenario.

You're fighting Ganondorf.

He decides to side smash you, mis-predicting that you'd roll right after he side b'd you.

You instead rolled left, placing yourself in a position to punish him for committing to his side smash, maybe a skewer or a space pirate rush, or just a forward tilt if you want to play it safe.

Then, suddenly, he stops mid attack and jumps, shields, or forward tilts you in the face with his sparta kick to avoid paying for his mistake.

Allowing players to cancel their attacks would basically destroy one of the fundamental things skillful play is built upon in the game. The entire premise of risk vs reward, of predicting your opponent, and of punishing mistakes relies very much so on players getting frame trapped into moves they've already committed to. I do not think I would enjoy this game nearly as much if you could just abort mission every time you committed to a bad move, because your opponent would be able to do the same to you and it would not be fun at all in my opinion.

soviet prince

Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
I see your point but seems like all ridleys moves are risky lol

Predatoria

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5219-6817-7975
I see your point but seems like all ridleys moves are risky lol
Not all of his are. Space pirate rush, skewer, wing blitz, or any smash are quite risky, but they're also high reward attacks. This isn't just Ridley-specific. The general design constraint for any character in SSB is that smash attacks are risky to perform. Occasionally some character will have a very quick smash attack that's hard to punish, but it's usually the exception case.

With Ridley, less risky moves tend to be his three tilts, especially given their reach, or neutral air. Those four attacks are not easily punished by your opponent. I'm not super good at playing Ridley or SSB, so take this as a disclaimer, but

In most matches, I'm lucky if I get one kill off Ridley's forward smash. I almost never actually use it any longer unless my opponent makes a big mistake or I have a really strong feeling about reading my opponent's next move and can utilize it. Most of the time, the mini "mistakes" my opponent makes frame lock them into attacks that are still too fast for a forward smash. I've gotten quite used to punishing with forward tilt most of the time, since it reaches so far, has good knockback, and does decent damage. Down tilt I'll often punish with as well, especially at lower percents because it knocks them into the air, which often can be followed up with either an up tilt, a short hop forward air, or an up air, depending on percent.

Most of my kills with Ridley come from back airs, punishing with space pirate rush and throwing them offstage after they make a bad roll or a mistake of some kind, or from down smashing their ledge recovery (thanks to Cutie Gwen for telling me what I was missing with this amazing ledge-guarding move). It's not uncommon either for me to do a lot of damage with plasma breath to someone when they're off-stage, and then land a forward tilt kill when they're at like 150. But rarely am I really killing with Ridley's highly risky moves like forward / up smash.

You may want to try mixing up your means of dealing damage to be of using Ridleys less risky half of his moveset.

Last edited:

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
The risk factor mainly refers to Ridley's disadvantage state and how he can get/stay out of it.

There's no doubting he has some great tools, but he suffers from being large/combo food, not having an easy time landing, having moves that extend his hurtbox, and not having the most optimal get-off-me options (you kinda have to hope using N-air/jab are fast enough since he has neither any armor moves or a good DP).

The tilts/Plasma Breath are good at dealing with close-range Brawler type characters that don't have much projectiles/disjoints, but it gets rough against zoners that have the tools to keep you at bay/make you have to play their game. I find myself having to get in with Jab, F-air and B-air a lot, which even then it's difficult.

Predatoria

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5219-6817-7975
In the case of PK Fire, just jump. It's got obvious tells so unless you're not paying attention or you're just deciding you don't feel like playing competently, you should be able to react with a jump and dodge PK Fire, you can follow up with a Nair too
These moves can pose a serious threat, even to excellent Ridley players:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oPkQfLPAm8

If the Ness you're fighting is a strong one, they'll do it when you have no other options open to avoid it. Trela gets hit several times by PK Fire / Thunder in this set, and at one point he gets 0 to death'd by 3 PK Fires into a spike off-stage.

I dunno, to me your comment came off pretty rude when soviet's trying to seek help here.

Last edited:

soviet prince

Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
items should be out of quickplay, had the match at hand until an item belled them out.

so now got a losing streak 788,000 , so after hundred hours of practice 90 percent are still better then me lol

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
All I can recommend from my experience with Ness players is to keep your distance throughout the match and wait for an opportunity to strike when they slip. Don't fall into their traps, do your best to read their moves, and act fast when they miss PK Fire or any other special attack.

soviet prince

Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
made it back to 2million so I geuss that a small victory

1) why when I beat a guy 3 times in a row then he beats me the 4th match does my gps drop down to were I started at before i played him seems a little unfair.

Top Bottom